Vandals mad about drag show open fire on North Carolina power substations

TeeDubya

5 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

What if (and hear me out, because boy howdy, it's outrageous!) it was actual deputies or other law enforcement that did this.

I mean, that's really far-fetched, because this nation's loyal sworn officers would never do somethign like this, right?

oh surely this will happen, but for now what is happening is worse. its going to be a gray area with some cover given by said law enforcement, which could end in inaction and confusion. 

the fact that this hasn't happened more often is absolutely shocking. same feeling I had when watching suicide bombers figure out how to use airplanes. utilities are a huge, poorly guarded target with a very high reward potentially. hell, i can't believe any foreign actor hasn't acted on this yet. and to be clear, we know (the US gov/state gov/utilities) that foreign actors have bugged just about everything. there are public audits on this very issue for utilities across the country and this was 10+ years ago. 

6 hours ago, troph said:

100%, I guess I actually object to the phraseology even though everyone means well. I think happiness is a fools errand meaning either you won’t find it or if you do it will destroy you. Life is meant to be hard, easy, depressing, happy, infuriating, scary, painful, joyous all etc. etc. all of the above. We don’t find meaning in happiness we find it in all of the above. It’s more of a tangent not a disagreement. 

This is...actually quite profound.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, miguelito said:

Who shoots a transformer anyway?  Something tells me there's more than meets the eye to this story.

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Someone who knows exactly what they are doing. It is not a random act for sure to target two like this. Lead times on some of larger transformers are now measured in years and not months, that's why the government has been working hard to come up with a plan to address this critical weak spot. Even if you can get them, they are so huge, heavy and expensive, it's not like utilities are keeping a bunch of spares around. This all dates back to the PGE attack in 2013.  It was kept hush-hush and didn't really hit the news for another year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

How the fuck did you miss this joke?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

15 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Fuck these unenlightened hillbillies.

Game Not Today Satan GIF

all of the goddamned bumpkins in this state drive 15 mph under the speed limit and wait 30 seconds for you to approach, slow down, and come to a stop at the stop sign before then moving through. the number of times I've shouted a variation of "MOVE IT YOU FUCKING HILLBILLY" in the past week alone is unknowable

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Defense budget gonna go up another trillion or so to fortify substations, oh and your electric bill is gonna double too. Tax and spend, and windfall profits.

Is that irony? I guarantee one of the things these fucksticks are pissed off about is "muh taxes!" Good job idiots, you just caused taxes to go up.

26 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I have both the black one and the white one.

I'll have to find them.

I had the ones in that pic. The guy was called Baron Karzai. I don’t recall the name of the horse. You could take the guy’s torso and put it in place of the horse’s head to make a centaur. I had the big robot called Phobos that could be turned into a tracked vehicle. I had a number of different cars/spaceships, a bunch of figures, and a few of the modular building sets. I had Micronauts and a friend of mine had a bunch of Star Wars stuff and we’d get together and stage huge battles and provide all of our own sound effects. It was grand.

My favorite of the figures was Acroyear. Mine was green like this one:

8882E514-3677-4798-A14A-15B3EE510EB0.png.068a4ded7fab2092f1482301217aac1b.png

• Hook 'Em 3

So, all the cool MAGA kids have a new pasttime now:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/pse-substations-among-five-attacked-in-pacific-northwest-in-november/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_inset_1.1

At least five attacks at electricity substations in Washington and Oregon, including two at Puget Sound Energy substations, have been reported to the FBI in recent weeks.

Spokespeople for Puget Sound Energy, the Cowlitz County Public Utility District and Bonneville Power Administration confirmed the attacks happened in November, according to emails sent in response to Seattle Times inquiries.

The FBI declined to confirm it is investigating the attacks, but the utilities say they are cooperating with a federal investigation.

It wasn’t immediately known whether the damage to Northwest substations resulted in any disruption of power.

News of the attacks follow a shooting investigators say damaged substations in North Carolina on Saturday, leaving thousands without power. Energy experts have stressed the need to secure the power grid, warning that the nation’s vulnerable electricity infrastructure could be a target for domestic terrorists.

BPA spokesperson Douglas Johnson said a “deliberate physical attack” at a Clackamas, Ore., substation occurred over the Thanksgiving holiday. A fence was cut and equipment was damaged, Johnson wrote.

BPA is a key player in the Northwest power transmission system that supplies power from federal hydroelectric dams to regional utilities as well as those elsewhere in the West.

“BPA is actively cooperating with the FBI on this incident and has encouraged other utilities throughout the region to increase their vigilance and report any suspicious or similar activity to law enforcement,” Johnson wrote.

Spoiler

Johnson declined to give details about the equipment damaged, but said that any costs associated with repairing or replacing equipment will be passed on to ratepayers.

The FBI’s Seattle field office declined to comment on the incidents nor confirm reports that the agency has sent bulletins to local law enforcement agencies and utility companies warning of attacks, but said the agency “routinely shares information with our law enforcement partners to assist in protecting the communities they serve.”

The Puget Sound Energy attacks occurred in late November at two substations, according to Gerald Tracy, media engagement program manager for the utility company.

“We can’t comment on the incidents because they are both an on-going investigation involving the FBI,” Tracy wrote.

Tracy declined to comment on where the substations are located or the extent of the damage.

Southwest Washington’s Cowlitz County Public Utility District sustained “vandalism” on two substations in mid-November in the Woodland area. “At this time, we do not have any further comment … Our facilities have since been repaired,” said a written statement from spokesperson Alice Dietz.

A spokesperson for the Snohomish County Public Utility District, the largest public utility district in the state, said substations in its jurisdiction have not been attacked this year, but they have been vandalized in the past.

A spokesperson for Gov. Jay Inslee said the governor’s office defers to utilities to describe specific threats.

“We are aware of increased threats to our utilities and are monitoring threat activity in our support and coordination role with federal and local governments and individual utilities,” executive director of communications Jamie Smith wrote.

A spokesperson for the King County Sheriff’s Office declined to confirm if the agency has received an FBI bulletin about substation attacks, but said the office has not “found anything to support that this has happened in our jurisdiction.”

With utilities releasing few details on the Northwest attacks it is difficult to assess who is responsible and their motivation, said David Neiwert, a Washington state-based senior staff writer for the Daily Kos and author of “Alt-America: The Rise of the Radical Right in the Age of Trump.”

“Yahoos sometimes go out and shoot things up. And power utilities are a frequent target,” Neiwert said. “How much damage did these attacks do and how knowledgeable were the attackers? That’s what we need to know to make an assessment.”

The North Carolina attack underscored the vulnerability of the nation’s power grid to attacks on substations, which are often located in rural, unpopulated areas.

Although those responsible for the attacks are unknown, the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis warned in January that extremist groups in the United States appear to increasingly view attacking the power grid as a means of disrupting the country.

Domestic extremists “have developed credible, specific plans to attack electricity infrastructure since at least 2020,” according to the DHS report. 

In February, three men pleaded guilty to conspiring to attack U.S. energy facilities. Authorities said they were driven by white supremacist ideologies to “sow mayhem and division among Americans.”

Experts say it would be difficult to knock out power to the nation given the size and decentralized nature of the grid, The Associated Press reported. The DHS report also notes that attackers, without inside help at least, would be unlikely to produce widespread, multistate outages, though they could still do damage and cause injuries.

"Far-right chatter also drew a connection between the attacks and the drag show, which was ultimately held in spite of its detractors. One neo-Nazi Telegram post laden with slurs against the LGBT+ community and shared with Newsweek by the SITE Intelligence Group celebrated the "magnificent act of sabotage" as a "beautiful escalation" in a broader culture war.

Another neo-Nazi publication warned that "these attacks will only continue" unless such events are not held. A number of posts on message board 4Chan described specific tactics to cause further damage to the power grid, and others proposed conducting similar actions in larger cities such as New York and Washington, D.C. because they "are not majority white.""

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/us/neonazis-say-attack-leaving--americans-in-dark-is-only-the-beginning/ar-AA152Xyc?ocid=sapphireappshare

Hey look everyone, another in South Carolina:

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/local/possible-shots-fired-near-wateree-hydro-station-in-ridgeway/101-62dcc5df-c00f-4152-9a07-24e592f64d2c

Law enforcement is investigating after a report of shots fired near an electricity plant in South Carolina. 

Duke Energy said in a statement Wednesday night that they were aware of reports of gunfire near the Wateree Hydro Station in Ridgeway.  

The station is located in Kershaw County. 

The statement from Duke Energy reads as follows, " We are aware of reports of gunfire near the Wateree Hydro Station in Ridgeway SC. No individuals were harmed. There are no outages reported. There is no known property damage at this time. We are working closely with the FBI on this issue." 

News19 contacted Kershaw County Sheriff Lee Boan,  who said his officers had gone to the location to check out the report. 

"We take this seriously," Boan told WLTX. 

He went on to say that they sent officers to investigate and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) had reached out to see if any help was needed.

4 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Attacks on these substations should be treated the same as someone trying to attack a military base.  Make it well known that any attempt to fuck with critical infrastructure will be met with extreme force and then shoot these terrorists on the spot.  I know it's impossible to watch these 24/7 but you catch/kill a few in the act and see how far these christian taliban asshats are willing to go.

If we didn’t do it for an attack on our seat of government for the purpose of installing an illegitimate one, why would this go any differently?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we didn’t do it for an attack on our seat of government for the purpose of installing an illegitimate one, why would this go any differently?

Because this shit fucks with everyone - even the GQP brainworms crowd that thinks Jan 6 was a false flag/antifa operation.

Attacks on these substations should be treated the same as someone trying to attack a military base.  Make it well known that any attempt to fuck with critical infrastructure will be met with extreme force and then shoot these terrorists on the spot.  I know it's impossible to watch these 24/7 but you catch/kill a few in the act and see how far these christian taliban asshats are willing to go.

Yeah but that means the cops have to shoot themselves.

I have a solution

C1EF884A-23E8-48DD-A09D-8C779DED76B1.thumb.jpeg.50fb593ea4c11bf3498d2a6f8d08382b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Because this shit fucks with everyone - even the GQP brainworms crowd that thinks Jan 6 was a false flag/antifa operation.

When they're freezer full of deer meat thaws out and electric bills triple, they'll still blame it on a false flag/antifa operation.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A group staging a coup and taking over the government wouldn’t affect everyone?

For a lot of people, in the short term, it would have been pretty great. For like 30% of the population. This is a little different. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

For a lot of people, in the short term, it would have been pretty great. For like 30% of the population. This is a little different. 

I won’t belabor it further, but this attack only affected 40,000 people.  At this scale, it’s a nothing burger for change or heavy consequences. 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I won’t belabor it further, but this attack only affected 40,000 people.  At this scale, it’s a nothing burger for change or heavy consequences. 

And when it happens again, Jethro will be pissed that the traffic lights went out and someone sideswiped his F-250 while grandma dies in the hospital without electricity. 

But Hunter Biden's laptop.

38 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

And when it happens again, Jethro will be pissed that the traffic lights went out and someone sideswiped his F-250 while grandma dies in the hospital without electricity. 

But Hunter Biden's laptop.

• Haha 8