Vandals mad about drag show open fire on North Carolina power substations

TeeDubya

37 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Mad About Drag Show is my favorite Belinda Carlisle song.

I crushed hard on her back in the day.  That was the golden era of MTV.  parents yelling that MTV was Satan's work, hanging out at friends houses where their parents weren't such nutjobs. I was such a middle school rebel.  good times.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That would take actually believing fervently in your religion. Muslim suicide bombers profoundly believe that they are protecting Islam. Christian terrorists use their religion as spray paint over ingrained prejudice and cultivated hate.

Muslim extremists see themselves as truly in a religious war. American "Christian" extremists are conducting a civil war a la Hitler. They're generating hate and violence against against LGBTs in the name of purifying the state. Their deranged aims are political.

As someone said above, no matter the technical differences, the domestic ones deserve the same immediate fate as foreign ones. The entire engine of law enforcement needs to turn its immediate attention to these terrorists. Go full J. Edgar Hoover on their asses because they are actual enemies of and threats to the republic.

Stochastic terrorism: an unanticipated addition to my vocabulary thanks to Brisket. It needs to find its way to common usage. 

The problem is that law enforcement is full of these assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“I have a 16 year old daughter who's my oldest, I have a 13 year old boy who is my oldest boy, and then I have a 10 year old son”

That guy sounds smart. 

I mean he's just clarifying he has a 16 year old daughter and two sons, 13 and 10.  I mean you might not know she's the oldest unless he tells you.  I'm surprised he didn't clarify that last part, "and he's my youngest, not just my youngest boy, but my youngest boy or girl, I mean not that his gender is fluid or uncertain, he was born a boy, always a boy, which isn't to say my 13 year old boy is anything but a boy too."

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I just googled Lions Not Sheep. Holy Shit, this guy's blog is fantastic

He's a "influencer" and sells merch to Rogan Bros who want to be tough. Ha, and the FTC fined him for selling made in america merch that was made in China. lol

https://www.ksl.com/article/50453628/utah-based-lions-not-sheep-apparel-fined-for-swapping-made-in-china-tags-for-made-in-usa

https://www.ksl.com/article/50455831/lions-not-sheep-founder-speaks-out-about-ftc-made-in-usa-order-alleging-political-motivations

image.png.2a3df9b07b11ac92a7bd23192659edfa.png

The quick version would be:

I have three kids including one girl who I thought would be fabulous football players.

One of my boys failed in this regard, but I still love him.

Love your children even if they're not good football players.

I don't know what quick means because I'm an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He's a "influencer" and sells merch to Rogan Bros who want to be tough. Ha, and the FTC fined him for selling made in america merch that was made in China. lol

https://www.ksl.com/article/50453628/utah-based-lions-not-sheep-apparel-fined-for-swapping-made-in-china-tags-for-made-in-usa

https://www.ksl.com/article/50455831/lions-not-sheep-founder-speaks-out-about-ftc-made-in-usa-order-alleging-political-motivations

Ignoring how poorly written that blog entry is, I actually think the underlying message is pretty good. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.2a3df9b07b11ac92a7bd23192659edfa.png

The quick version would be:

I have three kids including one girl who I thought would be fabulous football players.

One of my boys failed in this regard, but I still love him.

Love your children even if they're not good football players.

I don't know what quick means because I'm an idiot.

soccer is unamerican anyway so who cares.

but seriously if you need to hear the message that you should love your sons even if they aren't good at a particular sport?  wow.  I fear for them if they turn out to be gay or trans.  that's a hard, gtfo kiddo, street life will be better than living under a nutjob like that.

Edited by troph

51 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

30 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Ignoring how poorly written that blog entry is, I actually think the underlying message is pretty good. 

I agree.  The world would be a better place if more people parented in this way — especially those who “Lions Not Sheep” merchandise appeals to and this guy has the ear of.  Societies don’t evolve in lockstep, every individual all at once.  It’s a process, and progressives would have better results if there was more tolerance for people who show promise that they are working through that process.

Edited by Goredho

48 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's a pretty goddamn similar pattern to evangelical preachers. It's just that you'd expect them to apply the tactic to a mission trip and not to demonizing gays

Doing a mission trip requires sustained effort.  Shitting on people is easy.

• Hook 'Em 2

JFC of course it’s probably a right wing domestic terrorist act…was camping this weekend and barely used my phone, saw the headlines on google news and jokingly said to myself ‘let me guess…some brain washed idiot was told child sex slavery was happening in the TRANSformers har har.’   

35 minutes ago, troph said:

soccer is unamerican anyway so who cares.

but seriously if you need to hear the message that you should love your sons even if they aren't good at a particular sport?  wow.  I fear for them if they turn out to be gay or trans.  that's a hard, gtfo kiddo, street life will be better than living under a nutjob like that.

His core message isn't bad actually.   It is basically about loving your children for who they are and not for what you want them to be and spending time with them doing things they like.   But my stupidity filter might have weeded some other stuff out and I refuse to test my filter in that way again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I agree.  The world would be a better place if more people parented in this way — especially those who “Lions Not Sheep” merchandise appeals to.  Societies don’t evolve in lockstep, every individual all at once.  It’s a process, and progressives would have better results if there was more tolerance for people who show promise that they are working through that process.

I mean....say what you will about his shitty writing, or the fact that his message even has to be stated, but yes, there are people out there who actually need to hear this message (likely his audience overlaps heavily).  Shades of the funny line in Heathers:

280d6990-624c-47aa-8603-303542091683_tex

Sure, it shouldn't HAVE to be said....but it does.  And it's actually true for lots of people.  There are plenty of crunchy granola moms who wanted their son to be a sensitive poet.  Instead, he's all boy, and he loves smashing shit, physical sports, and can turn any stick into a toy gun.  Love your kid for who they are, and meet them where they are.

I have more than a few friends who had a son and had dreams of him being a football star or what have you.  But instead, he turned out to be a math nerd, or gay and into fashion, or on the spectrum.  And while those dads NATURALLY felt some sense of disappointment that their dream wasn't going to happen, they came around pretty quickly, and love their son.  I was actually really impressed a couple of months ago when a group of my old fraternity buddies got together for drinks -- some of us hadn't seen each other in 15-20 years.  We're all talking about our kids.  A couple of the guys got to talking about their sons, one of who was gay, and one of whom is just an odd duck, on the spectrum, into artsy stuff.  And invariably, the guys listening responded the same way "is he happy?"  When we got the answer "yes," then we all responded the same way -- "that's awesome, sounds like y'all have a great relationship."

We all are who we are, and that comes with the baggage of some expectations.  For more masculine guys, it's that your son will be more stereotypically masculine.  For more progressive types, it might be that he'll be more intellectual, well-balanced between his pursuits, or what have you.  But the point is those are OUR expectations, and we need to learn quickly how to ditch that shit and meet our kids where they are.  Every parent has that struggle.  If more of this guy's audience would realize that, we'd have a happier and better adjusted society.  I don't know who all needs to HEAR that message; most of my peers and I figured it out on our own.  But other people, maybe they don't figure it out so quickly.  So, I'm glad someone -- someone who maybe they listen to and respect -- is voicing it.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

If this cunt doesn't go to jail I'd bet she'll be on the fast track to being the next Boobert.  Moore County looks to be split between two solidly MAGA-ish districts.

She's white, ex-military, marginally attractive, and has instantly won over the primary base and has name recognition with crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Love your kids even if they're non-aggressive pussies

I guess you could summarize it that way. As I said, it was poorly written. But the core theme was love your kids for who they are and don't try and force them to meet your expectations. 

Edited by Dahobbs

10 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

If this cunt doesn't go to jail I'd bet she'll be on the fast track to being the next Boobert.  Moore County looks to be split between two solidly MAGA-ish districts.

She's white, ex-military, marginally attractive, and has instantly won over the primary base and has name recognition with crazy.

Does she have an OnlyFans?  Was she a sex worker at some point in past?

I mean, these are relevant questions for the electorate to ponder.

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I guess you could summarize it that way. As I said, it was poorly written. But the core theme was love your kids for who they are and don't try and force them to your expectations. 

True. However, the premise that this message needs delivering in some revelatory message to other parents is a little disturbing. 

spacer.png

He didn't write the tome to me, so it's good he's circulating the notion amond his fellow low expectation motherfuckers if they need the guidance. If he is a MAGA rightist, I am concerned about where he is trying to lead his children regarding the republic.

I'm more offended as a writer anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Edit to follow up on my post above to make it more personal.  Our first child was my daughter, and my wife was SO excited to have a little girl.  There would be Barbies, and dress-up, and makeup, and all that fun girly stuff SHE enjoyed as a kid.

Nope.  Daughter turned out to be outdoorsy, all into nature and critters and such.  Most of her toys were dolphins and whales and such.  And she wasn't much into dress-up.  She really got into languages instead.  And eventually, my wife came to terms with that.  And when she studied Greek in seminary, it's something they did together -- my daughter did it just for fun (and then won state competitions in "Greek Derivatives").  My wife had expectations.  My daughter had other ideas.  My wife had to come around to it, and she did.  Some other parents might have needed a third party to remind them that's the right way to do it.  If they need that, then I'm glad there are people out there saying it -- especially if it's someone they might listen to.

Don't get me wrong, I think this whole "lions not sheep" stuff is utter batshittery and self-aggrandizing bullshit to make the weak and less confident feel like they have power.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

I read a book on terrorism back in the 90s that said the most effective thing any terrorist could do was attack the power grid since substations are usually unguarded (an electric fence with barbed wire usually) and the materials needed to fix them are usually not on hand or are often back ordered. If still true about the ability to repair today, then a coordinated wide scale attack at the right time in winter in the north or summer in the south could kill thousands. 

tumblr_nuurv9Yo6U1qz5q5lo1_400.jpg

"You got half the state looking for you. How do you get away? "

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And invariably, the guys listening responded the same way "is he happy?"  When we got the answer "yes," then we all responded the same way -- "that's awesome, sounds like y'all have a great relationship."

This. Honestly, from when my son was born, everyone would make comments like "I bet you hope does <insert activity>", and my response was always, I just really want him to be happy.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

And since she was an Army office, she's college educated (University of Scranton).   She's more dangerous than Boebert.

And she played basketball at Scranton.  Nice catch Troph.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, when you realize that local law enforcement in many jurisdictions openly sides with domestic terrorists (see, e.g., the local authorities not even trying to enforce red flag laws against the Club Q shooter before he murdered people at an LGBTQ club).....yeah, we're in trouble.

This is no different than local authorities who refused to arrest or prosecute Klan members/sympathizers back when they were busy murdering black people and civil rights workers (with many elements of those local authorities being Klan members/sympathizers themselves).  Seriously.  It's the same play, different day.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

19 minutes ago, G650 said:

This. Honestly, from when my son was born, everyone would make comments like "I bet you hope does <insert activity>", and my response was always, I just really want him to be happy.

I'm not a father, but I am an uncle. I noticed how often people visiting child relatives would immediately start inquiring about sports and how they were doing. I played football and love football, but I always ask kids what they like doing or how school is going.

Even with my minute level of influence, I don't want to set an expectation for what a child may pursue. Asking about school is a pretty generic thing as all children go to school. Further, I do want to encourage education by asking about it.

It's easy being an uncle. It's hard being a parent. Maybe I would have adapted and succeeded as one in younger days, but I don't really think I have the patience or tolerance for constant noise to be good at it. Plus, I don't think the world will miss this weird strand of DNA over the centuries.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But Scranton is where their boogeyman is from

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9529w6zzmcu6uogqrqru8t

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Just me or does she have sort of a hillbilly Rosamund Pike vibe?

image.jpeg.932c374f698c61777a65f3eda01861c3.jpeg

Caught the last 45 mins of GONE GIRL last night and this is spot-fucking-on. Rosamund Pike is hot AF.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 2

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm not a father, but I am an uncle. I noticed how often people visiting child relatives would immediately start inquiring about sports and how they were doing. I played football and love football, but I always ask kids what they like doing or how school is going.

Even with my minute level of influence, I don't want to set an expectation for what a child may pursue. Asking about school is a pretty generic thing as all children go to school. Further, I do want to encourage education by asking about it.

It's easy being an uncle. It's hard being a parent. Maybe I would have adapted and succeeded as one in younger days, but I don't really think I have the patience or tolerance for constant noise to be good at it. Plus, I don't think the world will miss this weird strand of DNA over the centuries.

I send pictures of my kids from activities like Baseball or Ballet.  I don't send them pictures doing school projects (though I have sent a movie we made for a school project) very often, so I think it is just something people can relate to more readily, and depending on the kid, it might get them talking more.  

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So cutting the electricity is supposed to stop people from dressing drag or being gay? I don’t get it. 

They've escalated it to a full on culture war. Shoot up a bunch of gays, you get a headline and everyone complains more about guns. Attack the grid, then they'll take you seriously and will certainly outlaw the gayness.

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Stops the music and the lights, maybe?  I don’t know.  Drag shows are a whole lot of fucking fun.

I'm kind of grossed out by men in drag and how they camp it up, but I can't deny that they look like they're having a blast. I envy that. Can't imagine someone wanting to stamp it out. Can there be anything more harmless?

14 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So cutting the electricity is supposed to stop people from dressing drag or being gay? I don’t get it. 

It was to stop the show.  No lights/power, no show of GROOMERS PREYING ON OUR CHILDREN IN A PIZZA PARLOR WITH HILLARY CLINTON!  Or some stupid shit.

This is serious "80s satanic panic" type stupidity.  Except an entire political party is running with it, and is skipping down the street hand-in-hand with a violent christofascist terrorist movement.

These people are terrorists, and they deserve a SEAL team busting down their doors and pumping lead into them, the same we do with all other terrorists.  But, that won't happen.  Because we can't pass a strong domestic terrorism law, because one political party sees that (correctly) as being aimed at their base.  That's precisely how fucked we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, that settles it.  She's innocent, because the Sheriff [checks notes] prayed with her.

https://www.wral.com/moore-county-authorities-investigate-social-posts-claiming-knowledge-of-moore-county-blackout/20612783/

This dude sleeps in his office 80% of time.

they should use this clip to defund the police. How fast are they going to cover up the shit and help her get away?

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm kind of grossed out by men in drag and how they camp it up, but I can't deny that they look like they're having a blast. I envy that. Can't imagine someone wanting to stamp it out. Can there be anything more harmless?

Yeah. It's not my thing aesthetics-wise, but I've been to a couple and they were a blast. Those people aren't hurting a soul.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, that settles it.  She's innocent, because the Sheriff [checks notes] prayed with her.

https://www.wral.com/moore-county-authorities-investigate-social-posts-claiming-knowledge-of-moore-county-blackout/20612783/

That's the kind of response that *Should* get the feds to start snooping around. A terrorist attack on our power grid seems like something they should be interested in. 

• Hook 'Em 4