UGA vs Ohio State, First Round, Dec. 31

Parliament

10 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

It’s gonna be a battle of attrition at the end… one thing that stood out today, besides the competitive matchups, was the significant number of injuries to key players.

Sure, next man up and all that, but as you saw towards the end of the game with tOSU it’s a lot harder when key playmakers are out to… you know, make big plays when it counts.

Having to play 2 or potentially 3 more games to win it all is gonna be VERY interesting. Makes me think that a lot more Boise State finishes are possible, and that someone will sneak through based on health/luck/perseverance and somehow win it all.

I’m all for that but damn is it going to sting for the teams who go undefeated only to catch the injury bug in the playoffs and lose out. Anyway, bring on the madness… we’re all ready!

That is like the complete opposite of how things work.  The reason it mattered in this game is because Georgia is also loaded with five stars.  If Harrison goes out against a team that is comprised of three stars then his injury probably doesn't matter quite as much.

Which hurts worse: Michigan, played like shit & was dominated all game, but rallied back and came up short at the very end… or Ohio State, played great, dominated, and had a big lead but blew it and lost? 

I think I’d feel worse as a buckeye fan. Had the game in the bag and lost it. Michigan was lucky to have a shot at the end.

After getting smoked by Michigan, many Ohio State fans didn't wanna go to the playoff.  Figured we get hammered again.  I was there for a bit.

This team balled out.  Lotsa injuries on offense, but still scored points.  Came up short in the end, but Stroud's last drive was all you could ask for.  Our defense still needs work, and it might be as simple playing all zone. Dunno.

I hate moral victories, but the core, and the base, of this program is solid.  2023 is gonna be awesome, and you'll hafta deal with us insufferable, jorts-wearing, jersey-over-hoody, couchburners in the playoff next year.  I'm warning you now.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Which hurts worse: Michigan, played like shit & was dominated all game, but rallied back and came up short at the very end… or Ohio State, played great, dominated, and had a big lead but blew it and lost? 

I think I’d feel worse as a buckeye fan. Had the game in the bag and lost it. Michigan was lucky to have a shot at the end.

Michigan can always fall back on the “screwed by the refs” rationalization. 

After getting smoked by Michigan, many Ohio State fans didn't wanna go to the playoff.  Figured we get hammered again.  I was there for a bit.
This team balled out.  Lotsa injuries on offense, but still scored points.  Came up short in the end, but Stroud's last drive was all you could ask for.  Our defense still needs work, and it might be as simple playing all zone. Dunno.
I hate moral victories, but the core, and the base, of this program is solid.  2023 is gonna be awesome, and you'll hafta deal with us insufferable, jorts-wearing, jersey-over-hoody, couchburners in the playoff next year.  I'm warning you now.

How will your WR corps look like? The new QB? Y’all seem to reload there.

4 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

How will your WR corps look like? The new QB? Y’all seem to reload there.

All the receivers you watched last night will be back.  The new QB is either a 5* from PA (McCord) who is a pocket passer or Devin Brown from Utah (4*) who is more athletic but can also sling it.  RT and LT will need to be filled.  I'm not comfortable with those positions yet.

• Like 1

The only call I have a quibble with is the reversal of the 4th down stop.  Herbstreit kept going on about how his feet didn't touch out of bounds until the ball had gone past the marker but there's another factor that wasn't addressed.  Was the ball still in play when it crossed the line.  You can't score a TD by crossing the goal line with the ball outside of the pylon and a punt that goes out of bounds is marked at the spot it crosses the sideline.  Without an overhead view I personally don't see how that call can be reversed.  No sour grapes, I'm just not sure replay had enough information for indisputible video evidence.

15 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Why do teams in this position not burn more clock? 54 seconds with 2 timeouts is still a good amount of time to get in FG range

They needed a TD.  Their hurry-up was keeping the D off balance.  This wasn't like being 2 down and needing a FG.

15 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd say Miami vs Ohio State for third 

1. Texas vs. USC

2.  UGA making Baker Mayfield cry in 2OT in Rose

3.  UGA-Ohio St.

4. Nebraska-OU 71.

All 4 were like that first Leonard-Hearns fight, back and forth.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

Still spacer.png

Edited by NashLonghorn

58 minutes ago, bullet said:

1. Texas vs. USC

2.  UGA making Baker Mayfield cry in 2OT in Rose

3.  UGA-Ohio St.

4. Nebraska-OU 71.

All 4 were like that first Leonard-Hearns fight, back and forth.

Baker crying is always great, but to me, it's not an all-timer. Great game, tho. Not sure I'd personally put it top 3, but definitely a top 6. 

I wonder if there's a Twitter with the name Crying Baker Mayfield? If not, I should make it if I'm unblocked 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/31/2022 at 7:20 PM, Helobious said:

Georgia has no shot. They’ve not seen an offense like the buckeye. I have no idea how Michigan dominated them so bad. I picked Ohio state to win it all before the year started.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:27 PM, Helobious said:

Ohio state has a machine-like offense and the stats back it up. Machine looked broken on that first drive though, Stroud looks unbelievable at times and shitty at other times. I just hope they don’t make me look stupid tonight

On 12/31/2022 at 7:35 PM, Helobious said:

Lol. Anyone wanna apologize for calling me dumb? 

quality posts less than 3 mins into the game there.     

OSU put up a great fight, but be careful when you are emphatic....

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

The only call I have a quibble with is the reversal of the 4th down stop.  Herbstreit kept going on about how his feet didn't touch out of bounds until the ball had gone past the marker but there's another factor that wasn't addressed.  Was the ball still in play when it crossed the line.  You can't score a TD by crossing the goal line with the ball outside of the pylon and a punt that goes out of bounds is marked at the spot it crosses the sideline.  Without an overhead view I personally don't see how that call can be reversed.  No sour grapes, I'm just not sure replay had enough information for indisputible video evidence.

there was a key part of the play that the announcers never really touched on and I believe was the deciding factor as to the overturn. 

his left hand was still inbounds on the turf the entire time, the TE basically balanced his entire body weight to that hand, lifted up his legs/knees off the turf and then moved the ball forward past the line to gain, all while his hand was still clearly inbounds. 

at that point I am pretty sure the "infinity line" rule applies.  he had established himself in bounds (clearly because he ran to the sideline) and until he was no longer touching the turf, or a body part landed OOB all forward progress is still allowed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

So what happens if someone runs down the entire sideline in bounds, while holding the ball over the sideline out of bounds?   Is the ball placed at the 1 inch line?  Did the entire run not count?

I was talking about diving for the end zone.

Here's the issue.  Replay is supposed to be for fixing an egregious error by an official.  There was nothing egregious about the call on the field.  In fact, they showed some made up red line drawn on a screen to detemine where the ball was.  IMO, the replay booths are out of control.  Even Michigan, as much as I hate them was fucked by replay on that TD that wasn't a TD.  First, the crew spotted the int two yards behind where it was caught and then they failed to notice that he didn't immediately have clear control of the catch initially on the long pass that wasn't a TD.

In it's current form replay in impinging on the game.

19 hours ago, bullet said:

Pretty bad take here.

He was pretty much a non-factor until the final drive or two and was basically a bus driver for Georgia this season. He didn't even make first-team All-SEC, finishing second behind behind Hendon Hooker. IMO, any of Bryce Young, Hooker, Bijan Robinson or Blake Corum should've been in NYC over Bennett, who threw for 116 and 140 yards, respectively, in back-to-back, late-season matchups with Kentucky and Georgia Tech.

I say all this knowing he was pretty nails on the last two drives to beat Ohio State.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

In fact, they showed some made up red line drawn on a screen to detemine where the ball was.

Where the hell did that come from? I watch a whole lot of college football and a little bit of pro football. I’ve never seen that graphic before. I don’t have a problem with the call. As frustrating as it was, I believe they got it right. But I have no idea where that graphic came from.

They need to just get rid of the targeting rule. The hit that knocked Marvin Harrison Jr. out was a game changer. Georgia had no answer for him. Well, as it turned out they had one and used it. Don’t try to tell me that player wasn’t going for a knock out blow on their opponent’s most dangerous weapon. That’s football.

And while I agree that it doesn’t meet the strict definition of targeting, I’ve seen too many other players, Buckeyes included, get ejected for the exact same hit. I bitch that that’s not targeting and am usually met with, “No, that’s textbook targeting!” Sometimes the announcers in the game say it’s textbook targeting. 

I’m naturally biased because I watch more Buckeye games than any other team, but if there’s another team that’s suffered more from the inconsistency in the way refs make that call than Ohio State then I’d like to know who that is. On the old site I had YouTube clips of Buckeyes getting ejected that I’d post during game threads whenever I saw the exact same hit going unpenalized for other teams. I wish I had clips handy for all the shoulder-to-shoulder hits with incidental helmet contact that led to Buckeye ejections in recent memory. And none of those resulted in a concussion for the other players that knocked them out of the game.

It’s frustrating when the targeting call was made on the field, the hit was obviously made with malicious intent, the targeted player was injured and knocked out of the game, and then the call was overturned. Okay then. The injury the rule is intended to prevent wasn’t prevented.

So while I understand why they waved it off, it sucks that I’ve seen the exact same hit, or similar hits, get Buckeye players ejected too many times. It’s hard not to assume it would’ve been ruled differently if the roles were reversed  There is no consistency in the way they administer the rule. That should be addressed.

If only Marv had had the good sense to spin his concussed head backwards on the hit. Then I guess Bill Lemonnier could’ve seen it as targeting instead of just “close to” it  

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

He was pretty much a non-factor until the final drive or two and was basically a bus driver for Georgia this season. He didn't even make first-team All-SEC, finishing second behind behind Hendon Hooker. IMO, any of Bryce Young, Hooker, Bijan Robinson or Blake Corum should've been in NYC over Bennett, who threw for 116 and 140 yards, respectively, in back-to-back, late-season matchups with Kentucky and Georgia Tech.

I say all this knowing he was pretty nails on the last two drives to beat Ohio State.

I get people saying that Bennett was just there to steer the ship, drive the bus, etc. but, he and Stroud were both 23/34 and Bennett threw for 50 more yards; 398:348.

And Stroud, for all of his runs had just 34 yards, 27 was the long run for the game, on 12 attempts. Bennett was -18 on seven attempts. So that, with the sacks, was kind of a wash.

Are we saying he's just there to drive the bus because he won't get to the NFL? So what? 99% of QBs don't get to the NFL. The kid has turned himself into a pretty good football player. Can we also discount Stroud because he threw for 76 yards v Northwestern, or 154 yards v Rutgers?

QB1: 258/389 66.3%/3,688 yards 41 TDs, 6 INTs

QB2: 292/429 68.1%/3,823 yards 23 TDs, 7 INTs

Rushing Game1: 466/2,501 30 TDs

Rushing Game 2: 513/2,826 39 TDs 

I agree that Hooker should have gotten more consideration for the Heisman but, we all have bitched about the Heisman of many years. In the end, Bennett also threw for 688 more yards this season than Hooker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I was talking about diving for the end zone.

Here's the issue.  Replay is supposed to be for fixing an egregious error by an official.  There was nothing egregious about the call on the field.  In fact, they showed some made up red line drawn on a screen to detemine where the ball was.  IMO, the replay booths are out of control.  Even Michigan, as much as I hate them was fucked by replay on that TD that wasn't a TD.  First, the crew spotted the int two yards behind where it was caught and then they failed to notice that he didn't immediately have clear control of the catch initially on the long pass that wasn't a TD.

In it's current form replay in impinging on the game.

Wrong.  Its to fix errors of any sort.  You just don't like that it fixed an error made in favor of your team.  It was a critical spot, so it should have been gotten right.

However, replay does impinge on the game at times.

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I get people saying that Bennett was just there to steer the ship, drive the bus, etc. but, he and Stroud were both 23/34 and Bennett threw for 50 more yards; 398:348.

And Stroud, for all of his runs had just 34 yards, 27 was the long run for the game, on 12 attempts. Bennett was -18 on seven attempts. So that, with the sacks, was kind of a wash.

Are we saying he's just there to drive the bus because he won't get to the NFL? So what? 99% of QBs don't get to the NFL. The kid has turned himself into a pretty good football player. Can we also discount Stroud because he threw for 76 yards v Northwestern, or 154 yards v Rutgers?

QB1: 258/389 66.3%/3,688 yards 41 TDs, 6 INTs

QB2: 292/429 68.1%/3,823 yards 23 TDs, 7 INTs

Rushing Game1: 466/2,501 30 TDs

Rushing Game 2: 513/2,826 39 TDs 

I agree that Hooker should have gotten more consideration for the Heisman but, we all have bitched about the Heisman of many years. In the end, Bennett also threw for 688 more yards this season than Hooker. 

Bennett has played three more games than Hooker. I'm not saying Bennett isn't good. I just don't think he is/was Heisman finalist good. And I'd also bet that 150 of Bennett's yards came on UGA's last two drives. The second-to-last TD was a total blown coverage (or the DB fell down) so it was an easy 76-yard TD. He was terrific on that last drive and made some fantastic throws.

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Where the hell did that come from? I watch a whole lot of college football and a little bit of pro football. I’ve never seen that graphic before. I don’t have a problem with the call. As frustrating as it was, I believe they got it right. But I have no idea where that graphic came from.

They need to just get rid of the targeting rule. The hit that knocked Marvin Harrison Jr. out was a game changer. Georgia had no answer for him. Well, as it turned out they had one and used it. Don’t try to tell me that player wasn’t going for a knock out blow on their opponent’s most dangerous weapon. That’s football.

And while I agree that it doesn’t meet the strict definition of targeting, I’ve seen too many other players, Buckeyes included, get ejected for the exact same hit. I bitch that that’s not targeting and am usually met with, “No, that’s textbook targeting!” Sometimes the announcers in the game say it’s textbook targeting. 

I’m naturally biased because I watch more Buckeye games than any other team, but if there’s another team that’s suffered more from the inconsistency in the way refs make that call than Ohio State then I’d like to know who that is. On the old site I had YouTube clips of Buckeyes getting ejected that I’d post during game threads whenever I saw the exact same hit going unpenalized for other teams. I wish I had clips handy for all the shoulder-to-shoulder hits with incidental helmet contact that led to Buckeye ejections in recent memory. And none of those resulted in a concussion for the other players that knocked them out of the game.

It’s frustrating when the targeting call was made on the field, the hit was obviously made with malicious intent, the targeted player was injured and knocked out of the game, and then the call was overturned. Okay then. The injury the rule is intended to prevent wasn’t prevented.

So while I understand why they waved it off, it sucks that I’ve seen the exact same hit, or similar hits, get Buckeye players ejected too many times. It’s hard not to assume it would’ve been ruled differently if the roles were reversed  There is no consistency in the way they administer the rule. That should be addressed.

If only Marv had had the good sense to spin his concussed head backwards on the hit. Then I guess Bill Lemonnier could’ve seen it as targeting instead of just “close to” it  

All you have to do is to read this board to see a school that got more hit by inconsistent calls on targeting.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Bennett has played three more games than Hooker. I'm not saying Bennett isn't good. I just don't think he is/was Heisman finalist good. And I'd also bet that 150 of Bennett's yards came on UGA's last two drives. The second-to-last TD was a total blown coverage (or the DB fell down) so it was an easy 76-yard TD. He was terrific on that last drive and made some fantastic throws.

But, that doesn't really matter when the yards come, as long as they are inside the 60-minutes. Do yards count more/less if they come in the first quarter?

He still threw the ball and had to get it to the guys, who had to make the catches. We've seen a lot of wide open receivers drop balls. It happens.

I'm not saying this kid is the next Danny Marino but, I don't think it is fair to just dismiss his play.

25 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

But, that doesn't really matter when the yards come, as long as they are inside the 60-minutes. Do yards count more/less if they come in the first quarter?

He still threw the ball and had to get it to the guys, who had to make the catches. We've seen a lot of wide open receivers drop balls. It happens.

I'm not saying this kid is the next Danny Marino but, I don't think it is fair to just dismiss his play.

No, it doesn't matter when they come, as long as they come. But my post that got called out was made before the last two drives where Bennett totaled 143 yards on 6-for-6 passing with two TDs. The first TD drive was not necessarily Bennett's doing as the OSU DB fell down to create the wide-open deep route. He was fantastic on the last TD drive. I think it was the second or third throw on that drive that was dropped into tight coverage for a huge gain. That was a big boy throw for sure.

Again, I'm not dismissing him as a poor player. Quite the contrary. I just don't believe he was a top four player in the country as evidenced by the Heisman voting.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Wrong.  Its to fix errors of any sort.  You just don't like that it fixed an error made in favor of your team.  It was a critical spot, so it should have been gotten right.

However, replay does impinge on the game at times.

Wrong. They can’t call an obvious penalty that was missed other than targeting. 

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How many yards did he have if you don’t subtract the sack yardage from his rushing total?

UGa sacked him four times for -36 yards. Bennett was sacked twice for -12.

I guess when dealing with sacks it isn't really how many yards were lost, rather the point in the game when they happen.

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

No, it doesn't matter when they come, as long as they come. But my post that got called out was made before the last two drives where Bennett totaled 143 yards on 6-for-6 passing with two TDs. The first TD drive was not necessarily Bennett's doing as the OSU DB fell down to create the wide-open deep route. He was fantastic on the last TD drive. I think it was the second or third throw on that drive that was dropped into tight coverage for a huge gain. That was a big boy throw for sure.

Again, I'm not dismissing him as a poor player. Quite the contrary. I just don't believe he was a top four player in the country as evidenced by the Heisman voting.

He still threw the pass. Don't fall down. 

I think we can all agree that the Heisman has been a joke for a long time.

As a Pitt guy, I still think Hugh Green, Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald should have won the Heisman. 

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/1/2023 at 10:49 AM, Parliament said:

Seems like the perfect time for somebody to start a message board for Ohio State fans...

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2022 at 11:50 PM, C-Man said:

Hell of a drive from Bennett. Dude was nails on that drive.

He does that, man. He and our team are mediocre for long stretches at times, then all of the sudden are absolutely perfect for 4-5 minutes of game time and it is all over. Should've been telling Stetson his entire career we are behind by 20 in the fourth. He would've won three Heisman's. 

On 12/31/2022 at 11:58 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

hey stetson....

remember when you snapped the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock.????

might end up being relevant.... 

Said the same in the stadium to my friends. He actually snapped it on first down with 37 seconds on the play clock. Not sure our staff cared. We just wanted to score, but with two TOs and more than a minute left inside the 10, you 100% let the clock run down. 

On 1/1/2023 at 12:02 AM, ATXhorn17 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if UGA struggles in LA. When’s the last time they left the Southeast?

Last year in the playoff, we had OB in Miami then Indy. Does Miami really count as the SE? 

Play Mizzou every other year as well. 

Rose Bowl and ND in 2017.