World Cup Round of 16 - Dec 5 (Japan/Croatia, Brazil/S. Korea) & 6 (Morocco/Spain, Portugal/Switzerland)

Captain Ron

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wow. Was not expecting that at all. I work for a Spanish company. Trying to not rub it in colleagues faces. Lulz.

If there is one country that was going to blow it - it was Spain, only because Italy failed to qualify.

This game was ripe for Spain to blow it.

2 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Why do they allow these games to end with penalties versus continuing sudden death?  Seems like you might as well flip a coin to pick a winner if you're going to allow penalties to decide.

Sudden death? There is no golden goal rule in extra time 

Edited by Macklemore

2 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Why do they allow these games to end with penalties versus continuing sudden death?  Seems like you might as well flip a coin to pick a winner if you're going to allow penalties to decide.

You don't watch much soccer. Lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Sudden death? There is no golden goal rule in extra time 

Well then, additional periods of extratime with the winner being the team leading at the end of the given extratime period.  Beyond being dumb and injecting a ton of luck into the outcome, it seems the current rules would to some extent incentivize underdogs to play as conservatively as possible in the hopes that you can reach penalties.  

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

this Beckham/Manning ad is soooo bad

I like the whole ad campaign. 

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Morocco goalie is world class lockdown defender (better guesser?). Is he that way on regular goal attempts?

England France will last 100 years. 

Morocco keeper has played in Spain for a decade. 
E3D6B537-92CC-483E-97AC-85F3A731FD37.thumb.png.4a2fa1f1d5e3bb6a76580fb79b2d0457.png

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Personally, I don't like 0-0 games being decided by PK's at the end but they can't play forever. Soccer prides itself on games being under three hours long, most are simply two-hour affairs.

I was only half-watching today's match from the house while working (sort of). Spain out-possessed Morocco 77-23, outshot them 13-6 (1-2 on goal) and he eight corner kicks to zero. Spain had several near-misses in the second half and ET. Morocco had one or two chances that I recall but spent most of the time just packing their end with 10 defenders and mucking up the match. I don't like seeing that rewarded with a flukey win in PK's but Spain absolutely blew all three of their tries there.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Starfleet Command said:

Because after 120 minutes, a lot of these guys have basically sprinted 5 to 8 miles.  They will barely be ready in 4 or 5 days as it is.  If you keep going until a golden goal, the level of play goes down, people get hurt, and no one will be ready for the next match.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1