World Cup Round of 16 - Dec 5 (Japan/Croatia, Brazil/S. Korea) & 6 (Morocco/Spain, Portugal/Switzerland)

Captain Ron

This Charles Schwab commercial is such absolute fucking horseshit.

if you father was so good and wanted to charge a fair price to install windows, and everyone else was charging "$400-500" each.... and your dad only charged $100.... hes the last motherfucker on the planet I would want teaching a Charles Schwab rep how to properly invest money.

if everyone else is charging FOUR TIMES your price, maybe you should raise your price to allow you to charge half the amount.... customer still very happy at paying 1/2 the fee, and you dont have to work DOUBLE to make the same fucking money

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

if you father was so good and wanted to charge a fair price to install windows, and everyone else was charging "$400-500" each.... and your dad only charged $100.... hes the last motherfucker on the planet I would want teaching a Charles Schwab rep how to properly invest money.

if everyone else is charging FOUR TIMES your price, maybe you should raise your price to allow you to charge half the amount.... customer still very happy at paying 1/2 the fee, and you dont have to work DOUBLE to make the same fucking money

Whatever Mean Girls GIF - Whatever Mean Girls Mean - Discover & Share GIFs

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Personally, I don't like 0-0 games being decided by PK's at the end but they can't play forever. Soccer prides itself on games being under three hours long, most are simply two-hour affairs.

I was only half-watching today's match from the house while working (sort of). Spain out-possessed Morocco 77-23, outshot them 13-6 (1-2 on goal) and he eight corner kicks to zero. Spain had several near-misses in the second half and ET. Morocco had one or two chances that I recall but spent most of the time just packing their end with 10 defenders and mucking up the match. I don't like seeing that rewarded with a flukey win in PK's but Spain absolutely blew all three of their tries there.

So the soccer purists are going to hate this, but I really like what the NHL does--skate 3-on-3 for a five-minute overtime.  And only after that do a shootout.

Have your 30-minute extra time.  Sure.  But make it 7-on-7.  And I guaran-damn-tee you that you won't see a lot of games going to PKs.  What you will see is some fucking serious end-to-end action probably winding up with a fun goal on a semi-breakaway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

Fox need to completely overhaul its commentary teams for 2026

Ian Darke and Landon are really, really good. The rest I could probably do without. Maybe LIV will be done by '26 so they can snag Arlo.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So the soccer purists are going to hate this, but I really like what the NHL does--skate 3-on-3 for a five-minute overtime.  And only after that do a shootout.

Have your 30-minute extra time.  Sure.  But make it 7-on-7.  And I guaran-damn-tee you that you won't see a lot of games going to PKs.  What you will see is some fucking serious end-to-end action probably winding up with a fun goal on a semi-breakaway.

Or just go back to Golden Goal after 90 minutes + stoppage time. Let them run for 30 mins and then PK's if you must. Or do what NASL did for PK's in the late 70's.

Again, I don't mind PK's -- they're nerve-racking as hell if you've got a rooting interest. I just don't like them to end 0-0 ties.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Im not sure you have seen an extra time game with several sendings off on both sides (I.e. your exact scenario).  They are boring as shit.  At that point, you wish the ref would just call extra time early and go straight to kicks.

This will have the exact opposite of the desired effect, just like the golden and silver goals.  The managers will keep 5 at the back and you will get 1 or 2 v 5 on each side of the field.  Even if you do see a goal - then it will be extreme bus parking time.

This may work for a lower league tournaments or non-professional levels, but nothing of note.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Ian Darke and Landon are really, really good. The rest I could probably do without. Maybe LIV will be done by '26 so they can snag Arlo.

Or just go back to Golden Goal after 90 minutes + stoppage time. Let them run for 30 mins and then PK's if you must. Or do what NASL did for PK's in the late 70's.

Again, I don't mind PK's -- they're nerve-racking as hell if you've got a rooting interest. I just don't like them to end 0-0 ties.

Just leave it alone. As stated, fix the NFL first. 

If up to me I would get rid of ties in any sport (and boardroom) but it is not. 

PK's are fun. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

PK's are fun. 

Yup that first shooter from Japan had it written all over his face that he was going to miss. So it is not luck, sometimes the shooters can't handle the pressure.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

PK's are fun. 

You keep talking about the NFL. What's wrong with their OT format?

4 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

thanks for bringing up this ad.  First of all the actor is an actor and that guy in the 1960s footage is obviously not his dad. 

Second, no way in hell was anyone charging $400 a window in 1966.  I know I got some windows repaired in the 1990s for about $100 each and in the 80s when I was a kid it was about $50 or something minor (in today's terms).   You can get a window replacement for about $400 or maybe less TODAY in these inflationary times. 

This ad , as you eloquently stated, is absolute horseshit  - in several layers. 

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

Fox need to completely overhaul its commentary teams for 2026

i've been waiting for someone to say this

not just the teams, the entire schtick

"up close and personal" pioneered by abc for the olympics has never bled over to the world cup like this and it's neither embiggening nor cromulent

The only person who I would keep are Kate and Derek Rae.  Kate has got her role down well.  Not sure why, but I just love Derek pronouncing weird ass European names with a phonetically challenging series of random consonants.  Makes those names just roll off the tongue.  I actually don’t mind the words that come out of Landon’s mouth, but his enunciation and inflection is like a prepubescent, robotic Ben Stein.

I would like a late night recap show with Deuce, Edu, with Max Bretos emceeing.  Sobriety would not be allowed and a delay would be needed for FCC purposes.  The first episode would include Mark Clattenburg and “Dr.” Joe Manchin fighting to the death.  The winner would then fight Rob Stone on the second episode.  The third episode would include burying the winner of second episode in an ant hill.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Spain has reverted back to classic Spain.  

I think this goes to show just how awesome Iniesta really was - in that he could overcome the traditional Spanish implosion at least once.  Of course, it could just be that the Dutch (late round only)implosion tradition is even stronger.

Iniesta was a diving bitch and his two dives in OT against the Netherlands got a guy tossed so that he could then be unmarked for the tournament winner. 

Very skilled, feet like magic pillows, a sniveling diving cunt who demonstrated that diving works and should be employed at all times. 

What a legacy. 🙄

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Iniesta was a diving bitch and his two dives in OT against the Netherlands got a guy tossed so that he could then be unmarked for the tournament winner. 

Very skilled, feet like magic pillows, a sniveling diving cunt who demonstrated that diving works and should be employed at all times. 

What a legacy. 🙄

So the guy who constantly harps on the exploits of Caniggia, Maradona, Tevez, Simeone, Messi, Saviola, Batigol, etc. (I can keep going if we need to), has a problem with embellishment and diving in a football game?

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

The biggest diver is Neymar.  And I’m Brazilian.  But the biggest bitches are Uruguay closely followed by Argentina.  Spain comes in far behind, led by Portugal.

Someone is butt hurt about Spain winning a WC.  Personally I thought it was pretty cool.  I like new countries joining the winners club.  

21 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

The biggest diver is Neymar.  And I’m Brazilian.  But the biggest bitches are Uruguay closely followed by Argentina.  Spain comes in far behind, led by Portugal.

Someone is butt hurt about Spain winning a WC.  Personally I thought it was pretty cool.  I like new countries joining the winners club.  

I don’t know if Neymar is the biggest diver, but he is definitely the worst embellisher. He probably get hacked at more than any player in the game today, but you can’t say that he doesn’t invite it. 

That Richarlson dive & cry out when the South Korean’s sock-covered toe barely grazed the underside/cleats of RIcharlson’s foot was embarrassing. Even Ángel Di Maria was embarrassed by that one. 

Barça’s Buckets learned to dive from Xavi & Iniesta and although he was never good at it, he has been consistently rewarded for it. Messi dives a ton too, but like Neymar, he gets hacked a ton, he just doesn’t ask for it by trying to make his opponent look like a fool on the field in a taunting manner in the way Neymar does.

If you saw Neymar’s ankle after the first game, you know it looked bad. But that was about 75% of the balloon on Diego Armando Maradona’s ankle that he suffered in the World Cup, but he played the next game. Brazil and Italy and everyone tried the “hack-a-Shaq defense” on him because he was so superior to them, even at 5’3”, that they didn’t know what else to do.

When I was first following soccer, the Italians were the Kings of the divers. Spain & Arjen Robben then took the baton and now even English, Germans, and Scandinavians dive and Barcelona actually has some steel in the lineup, Gavi, but yes…

Iniesta was a diving bitch that could have been up in the Mount Rushmore of Divers over the last 15 for why American Football fans & rugby fans absolutely hate soccer.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ties suck. Want to bitch about soccer, fine. But lets look at ties in other sports. At least soccer (With Pk's) has a winner. 

And NCAA Football has a good format. 

There are very few ties in the NFL actually.

I'm not a huge fan of the NCAA format because it starts too close. Maybe start teams at the 50 and play from there. I also don't like the stats continuing to accrue in collegiate OT.

22 hours ago, Napoleon said:

i usually back the dutch against most sides, but they went full aggro in that game and did not deserve to raise the cup

spain got the star

parcells

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I don’t know if Neymar is the biggest diver, but he is definitely the worst embellisher. He probably get hacked at more than any player in the game today, but you can’t say that he doesn’t invite it. 

That Richarlson dive & cry out when the South Korean’s sock-covered toe barely grazed the underside/cleats of RIcharlson’s foot was embarrassing. Even Ángel Di Maria was embarrassed by that one. 

Barça’s Buckets learned to dive from Xavi & Iniesta and although he was never good at it, he has been consistently rewarded for it. Messi dives a ton too, but like Neymar, he gets hacked a ton, he just doesn’t ask for it by trying to make his opponent look like a fool on the field in a taunting manner in the way Neymar does.

If you saw Neymar’s ankle after the first game, you know it looked bad. But that was about 75% of the balloon on Diego Armando Maradona’s ankle that he suffered in the World Cup, but he played the next game. Brazil and Italy and everyone tried the “hack-a-Shaq defense” on him because he was so superior to them, even at 5’3”, that they didn’t know what else to do.

When I was first following soccer, the Italians were the Kings of the divers. Spain & Arjen Robben then took the baton and now even English, Germans, and Scandinavians dive and Barcelona actually has some steel in the lineup, Gavi, but yes…

Iniesta was a diving bitch that could have been up in the Mount Rushmore of Divers over the last 15 for why American Football fans & rugby fans absolutely hate soccer.

let it out napoleon, let the hate flow through you.....

..... and get ready to get rolled by brazil after you squeak by the dutch on kicks

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i usually back the dutch against most sides, but they went full aggro in that game and did not deserve to raise the cup

spain got the star

parcells

They did got full aggro, but at least they were whistled & booked for it. But Puyols rugby tackle from behind, with full martial arts leg sweep, on an Arjen Robben breakaway was not even whistled as a foul, much less a yellow, or even the straight red card that that move requires a ref to give.

WHILE WE ARE ON 2010:

What Germany did to Argentina in the quarterfinals was almost exactly what the Dutch did to the USA last week in Qatar  

The difference in the scoreline, 4-0 vs 3-1, could be attributed to the FOX producers in LA wanting a slightly more suspenseful script, but it was sooooo similar.

Down a goal with all of the possession, but limited danger before getting smacked in the face by the more experienced manager and the psychologically superior side.

I wish that we could have played a wildcard (like in a bird game) and switched managers with the Dutch for our match last week.

no worries. We disagree. I think NFL players can go longer than an extra 5 minutes of OT. 
Sucks no game for a few days. 

Missed this reply somehow. NFL OT is now 10-minute periods in regular season and 15 minutes in playoffs, pseudo-sudden death format.