State of Emergency declared, FBI investigating power grid attack in North Carolina

pacman

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Thanks, 60 Minutes, for giving everyone a roadmap and instructions on how to fuck shit up. Great Journalism!

The people we need to be worried about already knew about this vulnerability and have been planning to exploit it for awhile.  From a longer thread:

More mainstream reporting on this risk is vital to getting anyone to actually address it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The people we need to be worried about already knew about this vulnerability and have been planning to exploit it for awhile.  From a longer thread:

More mainstream reporting on this risk is vital to getting anyone to actually address it.

I betcha anything that the "firearms manufacturing" was making AR lowers too. Any chucklefuck with a drill press can buy a jig online and turn bar stock into lowers, excellent for outfitting your militia

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, how do you think 60 minutes learned about it?

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Friend whose parents are affected was mentioning that as serious as it’s being discussed in the news or in social media, it’s far worse than most can imagine.  Luckily his parents are rural and have a decent generator (they’ve lost power in the past during storms).  He said they’ve been told Thursday or Friday might be the earliest for power, and that everybody is absolutely on edge over this shit.  

He said they’ve been in the 30s at night, which isn’t helping.

Pussies. 

I present into evidence Texas, February 2021. 

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Maybe we need to rethink how we power our grid with a power infrastructure overhaul so that attacks like these won't affect such a widespread area?  Kind of disturbing how much of our grid is reliant on such few stations.  

I would think the price tag to be in the $100s of billions to diversify and protect the grid.  

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Maybe we need to rethink how we power our grid with a power infrastructure overhaul so that attacks like these won't affect such a widespread area?  Kind of disturbing how much of our grid is reliant on such few stations.  

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I would think the price tag to be in the $100s of billions to diversify and protect the grid.  

Yep.  All it takes is piles and piles of money.  I'm sure nobody will gripe when their utility bills go up 20% to "harden our infrastructure."

I'm not saying we maybe don't need to do some of that....I'm just saying that there's no political will to do it because it costs money.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  All it takes is piles and piles of money.  I'm sure nobody will gripe when their utility bills go up 20% to "harden our infrastructure."

I'm not saying we maybe don't need to do some of that....I'm just saying that there's no political will to do it because it costs money.

Curious how much if any of the infrastructure bill was related to this.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Maybe if can hire some Saudi actors to shoot up a sub-station or 2, shit will get passed quickly.

Or have some left wing nuts shoot up a Christian church, to sway some votes on the right for domestic terrorism laws.  Just have the bills already introduced, and call for a vote. 

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m curious. So if Plano and Frisco are such horrible places, what are the areas of Dallas that are so wonderful by comparison where the surly critics live?

They aren't horrible places.  They are just filled with horrible places.  I don't know what the nice/cool parts of Dallas are and won't be compelled to give one flying fuck.  We're just running a list of people we're gonna have psychologically abused in prison and some odd them are from that neck of the woods.  Driving people who voluntarily choose to hurt hundreds, if not thousands or more, of their fellow humans to suicide is a fun drug.  And nobody knows you're on it.  

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Here's the thing about politics:

...people are acting on their political opinions in ways that hurt everyone, whether they agree with their politics or not.

You ever hear that word "privilege" get used? I used to think it was a joke, myself. A nuisance, at best. I didn't really know what it meant and it sounded an awful lot like a way to make people like me the Bad Guys, and I knew I wasn't the bad guy.

I mean, look. I have a car that I think is pretty cool, and I get a lot of people coming up to me and telling me whenever I park, "Hey, man, cool car, I always wanted one of these." And I get to smile back at them and tell them how much I enjoy driving it. And part of the reason I enjoy driving it is because I can drive it anywhere. Nobody's going to say, "Hey, there's a middle-aged white man driving a fancy sports car, he's probably a drug dealer. We should pull him over."

And nobody's going to attack me with assault rifles because I'm having sex with my significant other.*

I'm not Jewish, so no one is going to literally wish that I, my children, and all my relatives be thrown into a chamber and gassed en masse.

That ability to just live my life normally is what "privilege" means. And now if you're thinking "That shouldn't be a privilege, that should be normal," well, then congratulations, you just became a bleeding-heart left-wing commie liberal.

What am I blathering about?

The ability to say "this is political, we should move this over to the political board so I don't have to talk about it" is privilege. Because for many of us, we can't avoid politics. It's in our face telling us "you should be dead and I'm gonna pull the trigger!" each and every day, simply because we were born. Ukrainians can't avoid what Russia is doing to them. Blacks can't avoid what police are doing to them. Jews can't avoid what the new Neo-Nazis are doing to them.

And right now, thousands of North Carolinans don't have power because a bunch of people are terrified by a couple of guys wearing makeup and dresses.

So. Yeah. It's political. It always has been. And it's time for people to stop pretending that they can just live their lives without talking about it.

*Don't let the fact that we haven't had sex in... a really long time distract you here

but but but...it makes some people UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Or have some left wing nuts shoot up a Christian church, to sway some votes on the right for domestic terrorism laws.  Just have the bills already introduced, and call for a vote. 

Without getting too CR, attacks against churches will never be treated as terrorism.  

• Rage+1 1

Weird day in America.  Massively high-profile shooting, albeit an energy substation and not a public place/school.  Still though, a very above-the-fold use of firearms in our country.  And I don't read/hear a solitary word about caliber, ammo selection, weapon type, nothing.  Not a peep.  Only time you worry about more shit like this happening is when all the armchair ballistics experts have not a goddamn thing to say.  Weird flex.  If there's nothing political about this, why not moan on and on about the weapon/ammo used.  Hey, does AR as in 'AR-15' stand for 'Already Ruminating?'  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Weird day in America.  Massively high-profile shooting, albeit an energy substation and not a public place/school.  Still though, a very above-the-fold use of firearms in our country.  And I don't read/hear a solitary word about caliber, ammo selection, weapon type, nothing.  Not a peep.  Only time you worry about more shit like this happening is when all the armchair ballistics experts have not a goddamn thing to say.  Weird flex.  If there's nothing political about this, why not moan on and on about the weapon/ammo used.  Hey, does AR as in 'AR-15' stand for 'Already Ruminating?'  

Cool rambling bro.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Thanks, 60 Minutes, for giving everyone a roadmap and instructions on how to fuck shit up. Great Journalism!

Ted Koppel wrote a book in 2015 called Lights Out.  It talks about the issues with our national power grid and its vulnerabilities, primarily an EMP type event but also cyberattacks and physical attacks on grid locations.  Pretty well states 2 persons with rifles could knock out large areas of the grid very quickly.  Make it a coordinated attack with multiple teams and you could really set back an area very fast.   

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Here's the thing about politics:

...people are acting on their political opinions in ways that hurt everyone, whether they agree with their politics or not.

You ever hear that word "privilege" get used? I used to think it was a joke, myself. A nuisance, at best. I didn't really know what it meant and it sounded an awful lot like a way to make people like me the Bad Guys, and I knew I wasn't the bad guy.

I mean, look. I have a car that I think is pretty cool, and I get a lot of people coming up to me and telling me whenever I park, "Hey, man, cool car, I always wanted one of these." And I get to smile back at them and tell them how much I enjoy driving it. And part of the reason I enjoy driving it is because I can drive it anywhere. Nobody's going to say, "Hey, there's a middle-aged white man driving a fancy sports car, he's probably a drug dealer. We should pull him over."

And nobody's going to attack me with assault rifles because I'm having sex with my significant other.*

I'm not Jewish, so no one is going to literally wish that I, my children, and all my relatives be thrown into a chamber and gassed en masse.

That ability to just live my life normally is what "privilege" means. And now if you're thinking "That shouldn't be a privilege, that should be normal," well, then congratulations, you just became a bleeding-heart left-wing commie liberal.

The ability to say "this is political, we should move this over to the political board so I don't have to talk about it" is privilege. Because for many of us, we can't avoid politics. It's in our face telling us "you should be dead and I'm gonna pull the trigger!" each and every day, simply because we were born. Ukrainians can't avoid what Russia is doing to them. Blacks can't avoid what police are doing to them. Jews can't avoid what the new Neo-Nazis are doing to them.

And right now, thousands of North Carolinans don't have power because a bunch of people are terrified by a couple of guys wearing makeup and dresses.

So. Yeah. It's political. It always has been. And it's time for people to stop pretending that they can just live their lives without talking about it.

*Don't let the fact that we haven't had sex in... a really long time distract you here

thank you. privilege is exactly the right word. 

lets all not talk politics during thanksgiving. yeah ok. that will not end well in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

We won't spend the money to protect our independent grid from the weather. Ain't no way they are going to spend a dime to harden the target.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

the technology would be centered on microgrids and DERMs/community level generation, control and consumption. It would allow for the total interconnected nature of the grid to not be this huge failure point. People have of course been saying this is the solution for well over a decade, but mostly around weather situations. Nothing on these lines will change till the big one happens, whatever that looks like. Just hope its not July or August for you guys, because lots of people will die. 

Trying to incentivize this at the market level is just fucking brutally hard. You have to create reward scenarios more around up time and/or more penalty schemes around downtime, but good luck having a force majeure like terrorist situation trying to drive that legal ship forward. A fucking mess it is, and will be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, staboner said:

Trying to incentivize this at the market level is just fucking brutally hard. You have to create reward scenarios more around up time and/or more penalty schemes around downtime, but good luck having a force majeure like terrorist situation trying to drive that legal ship forward. A fucking mess it is, and will be. 

Have you SEEN how our electric markets work (cough, cough, Texas).  If there's any improvement to be done, it will be a) on the back of the ratepayers alone, and b) it will carry a VERY hefty profit margin for the private enterprises who write big fat campaign checks.

TLDR: we the people will be fucked if we don't improve grid safety, AND we'll be fucked if we DO improve grid safety.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Lol. Yeah, it would be super expensive to harden the grid. No way that costs more than a nation wide blackout for days (weeks?) in the middle of winter. 

ETA: or really any time of the year

Which is a valid point, risks have to be weighed against costs. That process would require a competent, functioning government which partisanship guarantees we will never have again.

• Like 1

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

A shooting with 40k victims...

40k without power for a week will probably end up killing more than an "average" mass shooting.

Think traffic accidents because no street lights. Drugs that require refrigeration going bad. People who can't use their portable dialysis or O2 machines. Along with the standard freezing to death because no heat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

40k without power for a week will probably end up killing more than an "average" mass shooting.

Think traffic accidents because no street lights. Drugs that require refrigeration going bad. People who can't use their portable dialysis or O2 machines. Along with the standard freezing to death because no heat.

Exactly.  The law of “unintended consequences” except they were intended.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

A shooting with 40k victims...

These people will be without power for several days and they didn't know it was coming.  No time to prepare, vulnerable populations.  They'll lose at least 10+ people.  It'll be at least as bad as the average mass shooting, probably more.  

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We all grump and bitch on the Ukraine thread and call out the Russians for being terrorists for attacking civilian infrastructure, mainly water and power.  We gnash our teeth and squeeze our balls and call for horrible medieval death sentences for people who kill little kids.

Well these motherfuckers are doing both of those things.  So, step up, surly people, and recommend anthills and decapitation and stuff to these folks.  

Ant Hill is the most important uncommitted recruit on the board this year.  Leave him out of this.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

It’ll be tough to find a statute that pins the actual deaths on the Ds, imo.  Be interesting what they ultimately get for this.  Hopefully some 30 year crazy thing, but I fear some 12 month result. 

Lots of felonies alone for deliberately shooting very expensive equipment, lots of damages in general (spoiled food, drugs, repairs, etc.) and that’s before the terrorism stuff kicks in.

This wasn’t some little act of vandalism like plinking away at a sign on a gate with a .22.  The feds have specific laws about energy facilities.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title18-section1366&num=0&edition=prelim

If even just one person dies as a result and it can be proven, such as medical equipment stopping, somebody freezing, then it’s life in prison.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

From Axios affiliate just now (not much new but some interesting quotes):

https://www.axios.com/local/raleigh/2022/12/06/moore-county-north-carolina-power-outage-attack

Also, I'm not hearing enough thoughts and prayers from Texas this morning.  Y'all get with the program!  It's the only way we can help our fellow Americans.  Pray the shit outta that prayer, ya' hear me?!?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Maybe it’s the same person who took out a dozen plus transformers feeding Silicon Valley back in 13. As far as I know that person or persons was never identified or apprehended. 

That was pretty weird.  As I recall, they thought it was sniper(s) based on the caliber and that no cameras picked up anybody within several hundred yards of the transformers.  Didn't realize they never caught anybody.  And it was supposedly a group of snipers operating in concert.  

Some of the most heinous fucking crimes go completely un-punished in this country.  Law enforcement just shrugs it off like, "Hey, what can you do?"  But the most petty crimes can get you a fucking bullet to the back of the head by police for being "mouthy."  

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

I'm guessing we're just 12 hours away from the NC Lt. Governor telling reporters that the Moore County grid has too many doors, somebody left a gate propped open, and the linesman and technicians should be carrying guns.  Because, as Capt. Rameus once said, "Some things here don't react well to bullets."  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Maybe it’s the same person who took out a dozen plus transformers feeding Silicon Valley back in 13. As far as I know that person or persons was never identified or apprehended. 

Never caught anyone. Just listened to one of the FERC guys who investigated it on NPR. They were actually shooting through the chain link fence from not far away.
And the guy said we could harden these targets with something as cheap and simple as sandbags.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And the guy said we could harden these targets with something as cheap and simple as sandbags.

"Like sand, from wall-to-wall.  I know a great sand guy.  We'll get it at a price.  Or foam.  Something, whatever in here!"  

-Beanie, Owner of Speaker City

FWIW---another statement released earlier this morning by officials:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/06/us/power-outage-moore-county-investigation-tuesday/index.html

• Haha 1