2022 Surly Bowl Mania Contest

BigOrange1

there are only 12 days until the games begin so i wanted to go ahead and get this going.  $25 entry and we'll split the spot 70/30 between first and second place unless we get at least 50 entries then we'll split it 65/25/10 between the top 3.  link to join is below and the password is alamobowl.  this will be confidence points as it is easily the most fun way to do this contest.

https://fantasy.espn.com/games/college-football-bowl-mania-2022/group?id=1a5165b3-8242-4a51-93a4-4c78adda2878

i'm going to be fucking swamped at work tomorrow, so please wait until tuesday to start sending me entry fees so i can make sure i properly track them.  i can do venmo, paypal, cash app, apple pay.  if you don't have my info on any of those, pm me and let me know which one you want to use and i'll get you the info.

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
Doomlet has been pestering me about this for a couple of weeks. He and I are both in. 

Always enjoy hearing doomlet’s analysis for his picks.

“A tiger could beat up a bulldog.

Those helmets look like vomit.

Ou sux.”

Okay, I made up the last one. But it sounds like something he’d say, and of course he’d be correct.

And kudos for giving him a head start on becoming a degenerate gambler like the rest of us, too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can someone please help me remember whether you have to have all 43 picks made before the first kickoff, or is it just game by game? 

I know that you can change your picks and your confidence level after the first kickoff, and of course it would make sense to keep it game by game, but I don't think you can always count on logic and reason with the people in charge of this sort of thing... 

50 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Can someone please help me remember whether you have to have all 43 picks made before the first kickoff, or is it just game by game? 

I know that you can change your picks and your confidence level after the first kickoff, and of course it would make sense to keep it game by game, but I don't think you can always count on logic and reason with the people in charge of this sort of thing... 

You can change anything that hasn't already started. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I typically just do the autofill option where you let espn make your picks to get them locked in and then adjust each individual game on gameday.

13 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Confidence mode is what makes this so awesome every year. 

seriously.  this would not be near as fun any other way.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:06 PM, Player said:

Always enjoy hearing doomlet’s analysis for his picks.

“A tiger could beat up a bulldog.

Those helmets look like vomit.

Ou sux.”

Okay, I made up the last one. But it sounds like something he’d say, and of course he’d be correct.

And kudos for giving him a head start on becoming a degenerate gambler like the rest of us, too.

Less "bird mascots win by default" this year, though he does still hold some bizarre rooting interests on this basis. Less B1G familiarity/homerism than I expected (though there is some), but he consulted (but did not necessarily follow) the spread on a good 2/3 of his selections. He also has some pretty strong opinions on the relative strength of different conferences which also drove some of his decisions. 

He ranked so many as #1/fewest points that we're going to have to go through and reevaluate things at some point because it just became a conveyor belt of incremental slides downward for a good while. 

And that user "real name" is all him, in case there was any doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Less "bird mascots win by default" this year, though he does still hold some bizarre rooting interests on this basis. Less B1G familiarity/homerism than I expected (though there is some), but he consulted (but did not necessarily follow) the spread on a good 2/3 of his selections. He also has some pretty strong opinions on the relative strength of different conferences which also drove some of his decisions. 

He ranked so many as #1/fewest points that we're going to have to go through and reevaluate things at some point because it just became a conveyor belt of incremental slides downward for a good while. 

And that user "real name" is all him, in case there was any doubt. 

I laughed when I saw the name. How old is he now?

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I laughed when I saw the name. How old is he now?

He's 7.

But ESPN's shitass site hasn't actually updated his desired username yet. "Toots McButt" is just the placeholder that I put in so that his real name wasn't displayed. When making his picks, he requested that I change it to "You Poopedyourpants" or some such. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

as of right now, here are the people who have signed up on espn that i don't show a payment for:

@Zepol87 @Herpa Derpa @taybo20 @TXSooner518 whoever has the username Jon Snow 713

also, @Knoxtnhorn has paid, but i don't see an entry.  possible the same for @buildertex?

Give @Knoxtnhorn some time. He's trying to figure out how to not lose to his younger brother and 15 year old kid.....Again...... for like the 5th time

• Haha 2