Cristiano Ronaldo to sign with Saudi Arabian Club Al Nassr

Longboard Horn

On the World Cup broadcast they just said $211,000,000 per season. That’s insane. Just insane.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

I hope he has enough $$$ for an apartment.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Because he doesn’t already have a huge amount of money. Finally his ship has come in. 

This is what I just don’t get.  I would totally be trying to play for Monaco, Napoli, Real Sociedad, or back to Sporting and play for free.  No real pressure, awesome locations.  Or shit go play second division La Liga and play for Las Palmas or Tenerife. Any of those would be better than spending any time in Saudi playing against who knows what.

• Hook 'Em 3

good. go bye bye. get off my tv screen. the most self absorbed, self important athlete in the world joining a club that isn't covered by anyone in the western hemisphere is music to my ears. dude could have joined FC Miami and just chilled and bagged 50 goals a season, but instead he's going to go disappear somewhere out on the arabian peninsula. just how i like it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

good. go bye bye. get off my tv screen. the most self absorbed, self important athlete in the world joining a club that isn't covered by anyone in the western hemisphere is music to my ears. dude could have joined FC Miami and just chilled and bagged 50 goals a season, but instead he's going to go disappear somewhere out on the arabian peninsula. just how i like it.

You're not wrong.  Except for the fact that ol' Ronny has some rape allegations from here in the States.  Think he might want to stay off US soil.

• Hook 'Em 1

Taking a contract in the anti-semitic capital of the world is a long-game play to own the Jews.  Even for Ronaldo.  

I understand we, and our allies, have to do business with them and have a co-dependent defense relationship with them.  But any Westerner who voluntarily engages with them in culture, arts, or sport is a fucking asshole.  

Plus, what's this guy gonna do for ass after matches?  Yeah sure, they'll give him some leeway on whores and WAG's.  But there won't be a moment of his life there that isn't heavily photographed.  He'll cause so many religions fever protests due to his ladyfriend's lax approaches to subjugation and wardrobe.  Shit, I'm kinda looking forward to it.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How does the extra 500 million affect his lifestyle?

how does living (or at least working) in Saudi Arabia affect his lifestyle?

Hair extensions to improve header finishing rate.

Also, I realize other people have higher fuck you money thresholds, but $500 million is a little above mine.

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How does the extra 500 million affect his lifestyle?

how does living (or at least working) in Saudi Arabia affect his lifestyle?

what could he be doing for 2 and a half years that would be worth missing out on $500 million?  maybe if he was older and time was ticking but he's 37.  he'll be done with the contract and double his current worth at 41.  plenty of time to do what he wants. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

what could he be doing for 2 and a half years that would be worth missing out on $500 million?  maybe if he was older and time was ticking but he's 37.  he'll be done with the contract and double his current worth at 41.  plenty of time to do what he wants. 

Not be living somewhere where the average high temperature is 110 degrees at the start of the season and 102 in the last month that gets 4" of rain a year with a morality police. Of course Ronaldo wouldn't have to worry about rules or the morality police but it doesn't give the place a real great atmosphere.

i don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks.  i have a couple friends who after graduating from UT went to sa for work.  one's still there, one was there for 10 years and moved back after his second kid was born.  they both liked it there.  

At the time they were there, were they able to sit on the beach with $500 million in the bank earning 20%?

Yeah, the ME is not that bad early in your career with the expat pay bump plus other allowances that will allow you to retire a decade early.  That isn’t the scenario Ronaldo is dealing with.  

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Yeah, I don't blame him for taking the money.  He'll still be of an age where he can truly enjoy his wealth and the lifestyle it affords.  If he was 80, it'd be a different way to spend your last years.  But Tier-I footballers don't retire at 80, they leave the game at 35+.  He can buy a club 5 years from now of his choosing and stay in the game that way.  

Far older people who pretend they are have more than $500mm in net worth have sold their souls to Saudi Arabia for far less than $200mm/year.  He's gonna have a hard time rolling dirty with ass, but other than that...he should be good to go.  If America had Ronaldo's agent negotiating on its behalf, we'd be in a far better place.  

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

At the time they were there, were they able to sit on the beach with $500 million in the bank earning 20%?

Yeah, the ME is not that bad early in your career with the expat pay bump plus other allowances that will allow you to retire a decade early.  That isn’t the scenario Ronaldo is dealing with.  

can i sign up for that newsletter?

one would tolerate SA for $150,000 a year but not $200,000,000?  

23 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

can i sign up for that newsletter?

one would tolerate SA for $150,000 a year but not $200,000,000?  

1.  I have had a lot of success with HG Financial even over the past year

Link

2.  When you have a net worth of zero (or negative if you are carrying student loan debt), then $150k seems like a fuck ton of money.  When you are worth $500MM +, I would imagine $200MM would seem like less.  Especially when there are other options if you don’t act like a petulant asshole.  Then again - my interests are far less expensive than Ronaldo’s.

• Hook 'Em 1