Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

18 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Alright, it’s that time. Starting this sooner than last year, but mostly because last year’s season actually went into mid-December.

There are a few new faces (De Vries, Sargeant) this year, and least 5 drivers have expiring contracts at the end of 2023.

Discuss.

You left out Piastri. Unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fuga said:

Three US races. I too well remember despairing of there ever being one. 

Yep. Thanks Tavo!

But the US actually had 3 races once before. Long Beach, Detroit, and Vegas in 1982. Only country to do it once or twice.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

My 2023 resolution will be to stop being such a piece of shit and watch more races live (or same day....ish, as I do often have work travel on Sundays...) so that I'm not pages and pages behind in this thread. 

I actually like waking up and watching a race on Sunday mornings with my youngest.  Fun way to spend a morning.  And F1 TV is the tits.  Had to use a VPN to watch the race when we were in Scotland.  Sky blocks the race broadcasts.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I actually like waking up and watching a race on Sunday mornings with my youngest.  Fun way to spend a morning.  And F1 TV is the tits.  Had to use a VPN to watch the race when we were in Scotland.  Sky blocks the race broadcasts.  

Yeah, when we actually watch in the mornings, we often make a McDonald's breakfast run beforehand part of our routine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, deft said:

7am Sunday during football season is not awesome. Actually come to think of it, 7 am Sunday races suck all year.

Yeah I rarely watch a race or almost any session live these days. I just sleep til I'm ready to get up, and then I might also wait for my 19 yo to watch it with me, too, when he's home from Tx State. It's not usually too hard to avoid any news about the race if you're used to doing it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I rarely watch a race or almost any session live these days. I just sleep til I'm ready to get up, and then I might also wait for my 19 yo to watch it with me, too, when he's home from Tx State. It's not usually too hard to avoid any news about the race if you're used to doing it.

Yeah I don't watch ANY of the overseas races in real time.  In general, the way my streaming works, is that the full 2-hour or whatever broadcast for the race, has to be completely finished, before it's available.  So usually, the earliest I'm watching is 10 AM.  But sometimes I just let it go to the evening.  And sometimes during football season, I'm watching it on Monday.

That's why I rarely make comments on this thread during the race.  The only ones I'm ever watching in real time, are the ones in this hemisphere.

New grandstand going in at Spa's La Source.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/12/06/racefans-round-up-06-12-5/

Just now, utee94 said:

Yeah I don't watch ANY of the overseas races in real time.  In general, the way my streaming works, is that the full 2-hour or whatever broadcast for the race, has to be completely finished, before it's available.  So usually, the earliest I'm watching is 10 AM.  But sometimes I just let it go to the evening.  And sometimes during football season, I'm watching it on Monday.

That's why I rarely make comments on this thread during the race.  The only ones I'm ever watching in real time, are the ones in this hemisphere.

Yep. Pretty much this.

19 minutes ago, wood said:

It's not usually too hard to avoid any news about the race if you're used to doing it.

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Pretty much this.

One increasing problem though, is that I guess Facebook figured out I like Formula 1, so I do have to be careful about spoilers.  I'm not on Facebook much, and I don't do twitter or insta or any other social media at all, so it's not a big problem, but once or twice over the past couple of years, I've seen what looked like it was probably a race result, and had to turn away really quickly.

OH, and unrelated to that, but also a spoilery pain in the ass-- the ESPN app is really clunky.  Sometimes when you start something on demand, for some reason it might start halfway or 2/3 into the broadcast.  So now, I usually make my kids start the on-demand viewer and rewind it for me, if it starts in the middle of the broadcast.  

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

One increasing problem though, is that I guess Facebook figured out I like Formula 1, so I do have to be careful about spoilers.  I'm not on Facebook much, and I don't do twitter or insta or any other social media at all, so it's not a big problem, but once or twice over the past couple of years, I've seen what looked like it was probably a race result, and had to turn away really quickly.

OH, and unrelated to that, but also a spoilery pain in the ass-- the ESPN app is really clunky.  Sometimes when you start something on demand, for some reason it might start halfway or 2/3 into the broadcast.  So now, I usually make my kids start the on-demand viewer and rewind it for me, if it starts in the middle of the broadcast.  

The most annoying one for me is getting a spoiler in my email, so now I won't even check my email a lot of times if I'm waiting to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I've taken a bit of a break of following the r/formula1 every day where I get my updates. Has Ferrari announced anyone to replace Mattia? 

Sainz and Leclerc will share power and in a nod to their Roman past, Ferrari has given them each the title of Consul.

Edited by kevwun

14 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I'm in the camp that enjoys getting up early and watching the races live (most anyway). Nothing like watching cars blaze around in circles to get your bearings straight from a hangover.

And after the race is over, I go do Sunday errands and notice I am driving WAY more aggressively than most people at 10 am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3