Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

My wife yells Box Box Box when we drive by freeway off ramps sometimes.  It always cracks me up.

Better than when they say "That was our exit" at the exit moment that it's too late to take it. Could've said something just a wee bit earlier .... but nooooooo.

43 minutes ago, wood said:

Better than when they say "That was our exit" at the exit moment that it's too late to take it. Could've said something just a wee bit earlier .... but nooooooo.

"We are thinking about Plan C - what do you think?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Native Horn said:

And after the race is over, I go do Sunday errands and notice I am driving WAY more aggressively than most people at 10 am.

I back the car into the garage.  When I exit onto my street I feel like I'm jumping out and entering pit lane sometimes.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I don't watch ANY of the overseas races in real time.  In general, the way my streaming works, is that the full 2-hour or whatever broadcast for the race, has to be completely finished, before it's available.  So usually, the earliest I'm watching is 10 AM.  But sometimes I just let it go to the evening.  And sometimes during football season, I'm watching it on Monday.

That's why I rarely make comments on this thread during the race.  The only ones I'm ever watching in real time, are the ones in this hemisphere.

the one thing peacock and fox do better than espn, you can go to the start of the stream while the stream is still live. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Absolutely love the ritual of getting out of bed, walking the dogs, pouring a cup of coffee and sitting down to watch P3/Qualy or Pre-race/Race.  There's certainly nothing else on at that hour, and I have nowhere else to be 90% of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, wood said:

Danny's slide is kind of a curious case. 

I think we are going to see how curious it is next year with Piastri and how he does compared to Lando.

He has made less than great career decisions but all of them are at least somewhat defensible? leaving RBR for Renault where he can lead a team? get it. leaving Renault for McLaren (and a huge bag of money, and Zac Brown, etc) - also defensible.

Bad luck decision wise but I get it.

REALLY interested to see how Piastri does this year w/r/t Danny's downfall. If he comes in and kills it he is probably toast. If he comes in and struggles, some of it will be being a rookie but the car sure seems to have some funky/unique things about it based on what every driver who has ever been in it has said.

COTA got a Sprint Race. Knew it wouldn't be long.

2023 Sprint Race locations:

Azerbaijan - Baku City Circuit (April 30)
Austria - Red Bull Ring (July 2)
Belgium - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (July 30)
Qatar - Losail International Circuit (October 😎
USA - Circuit of The Americas (October 22)
Brazil - Interlagos (November 5)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-reveals-six-sprint-races-for-2023-including-spa-and-baku/10408841/?_ga=2.195301742.357166141.1669457220-929280275.1636135226

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

COTA got a Sprint Race. Knew it wouldn't be long.

2023 Sprint Race locations:

Azerbaijan - Baku City Circuit (April 30)
Austria - Red Bull Ring (July 2)
Belgium - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (July 30)
Qatar - Losail International Circuit (October 😎
USA - Circuit of The Americas (October 22)
Brazil - Interlagos (November 5)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-reveals-six-sprint-races-for-2023-including-spa-and-baku/10408841/?_ga=2.195301742.357166141.1669457220-929280275.1636135226

last year was Interlagos, Red Bull Ring and Imola, right? this will be 3 of them at Interlagos.

5 hours ago, NoName said:

I think we are going to see how curious it is next year with Piastri and how he does compared to Lando.

He has made less than great career decisions but all of them are at least somewhat defensible? leaving RBR for Renault where he can lead a team? get it. leaving Renault for McLaren (and a huge bag of money, and Zac Brown, etc) - also defensible.

Bad luck decision wise but I get it.

REALLY interested to see how Piastri does this year w/r/t Danny's downfall. If he comes in and kills it he is probably toast. If he comes in and struggles, some of it will be being a rookie but the car sure seems to have some funky/unique things about it based on what every driver who has ever been in it has said.

Danny will have next year to be in the RB sim and doing testing as well.  They will know if he's washed or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

F1 is known to be considering tweaks to the format of the sprint races in the future, including the possible switch to making them standalone events that do not impact the starting grid for Sunday’s race.

But the format will remain unchanged in 2023, awarding points to the top eight and the result setting the final startinggrid for the grand prix. 😞  :mad:

It has not stopped some criticism of the sprints from drivers, including world champion Max Verstappen, who felt most were unwilling to take risks for fear of dropping down the order and ruining their starting position for the Sunday race.

So, sadly, no changes to the Sprint weekend format this year. They were talking about changing the format for 2023 - setting the GP Grid with Qualifying and setting the Sprint grid some other way, which would have been great.  

Also Parc Fermé will stay, so after  FP1 nothing can be change. So FP2 will be  worthless again. Stupid. Need to relax Parc Ferme, too. Parc Ferme should be before or after the sprint, preferably the latter.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, wood said:

Also Parc Fermé will stay, so after  FP1 nothing can be change. So FP2 will be  worthless again. Stupid. Need to relax Parc Ferme, too. Parc Ferme should be before or after the sprint, preferably the latter.

This is the part that definitely needs to change. It’s ridiculous to lock teams in after one session. RB is the bets run team on the grid and most of their worst races were sprint weekends, like Austria and Brazil where they got the setups wrong, because one session isn’t enough. 

Now we’re going to have 6 weekends where teams have to just guess and hope they got the setup right? It’s ridiculous .

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is the part that definitely needs to change. It’s ridiculous to lock teams in after one session. RB is the bets run team on the grid and most of their worst races were sprint weekends, like Austria and Brazil where they got the setups wrong, because one session isn’t enough. 

Now we’re going to have 6 weekends where teams have to just guess and hope they got the setup right? It’s ridiculous.

Yeah it's stupid. They could make the Sprint weekends awesome, but Stefano and FOM don't seem to have any interest in that. Hell, with the budget cap, they could get rid of Parc Ferme completely, same with testing limits, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

Get rid of parc ferme, all testing limits, all tire mandates, and reintroduce refueling with no limits and no restrictions.

Also, pay bonuses to teams that go with 6-wheel designs.

Profit

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Now we’re going to have 6 weekends where teams have to just guess and hope they got the setup right? It’s ridiculous .

one would think the FIA would do things to make the sport better or more interesting.

this does neither and has the added kicker of teams hating it.

so of course they are moving forward with this. why would you want your best product out on TV world wide when you can offer a sub par version of it!

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Get rid of parc ferme, all testing limits, all tire mandates, and reintroduce refueling with no limits and no restrictions.

Also, pay bonuses to teams that go with 6-wheel designs.

Profit

Call it Extreme F1 haha

anyone know if Extreme E is any good? was that Race for the Planet documentary about it last yer any good?

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Genuine question since I didn’t watch F1 during the refueling era, was refueling actually more entertaining? I’ve gone back and watched some races where they had refueling and it seemed like it limited the amount of wheel to wheel action between the best cars and the only suspense was how long the pit stop would take and where the leaders were after their final pit stop. Usually there would be a decent gap and then you knew who would win without much actual fighting on track. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Genuine question since I didn’t watch F1 during the refueling era, was refueling actually more entertaining? I’ve gone back and watched some races where they had refueling and it seemed like it limited the amount of wheel to wheel action between the best cars and the only suspense was how long the pit stop would take and where the leaders were after their final pit stop. Usually there would be a decent gap and then you knew who would win without much actual fighting on track. 

Yes, there was a lot of overtaking in the pits. You also had to choose your fuel level when qualifying (as it would be the fuel you started the race with) which made for some interesting strategy, but it didn’t really lead to on track action at all.

Or, don't qualify at all, and just have the drivers play chickenshit bingo to determine the starting grid!

Honestly, with 3 teams so far out in front of the others, it doesn't really matter how they start.  The best 6 cars are going to arrive in the top 6 within a few laps regardless.  

• Hook 'Em 2

From a pure fan experience, I think the sprint races are great - more racing, more better. 

Increase the points for the sprint but no GP qualification. Both sprint and GP qualification set by one qualification session.

Fri: FP1, FP2, parc ferme set.

Sat: Qualification, Sprint Race

Sun: GP

That would be an epic Saturday with a lot of very meaningful racing.

Edited by dieucla98
  • Like 1

For those of you contemplating 2023 USGP ... prepare thy exit holes.

Facebook COTA Ticket Exchange members are posting about the new PSL ticket and parking bills they just got. People saying their bills have gone up as much as 70% for 2023, and many of them saying they're done with it all. One guy I know paid $1300 last year and just got his bill for more than $1800 for 2023 One chick posted this ...

319035706_10167617434610392_263723118886

... so I dug a little and found some 2023 pricing estimates on COTA's website.

3-day GA: $475+

3-day T1: $900 - $1125+

T2: $990 - $1050+

T4: same

T6: $1050 - $1125+

T9: $500 - $600+

T12: $540 - $780+

T15: $875 - $1170+

T19: $575 - $650+

3-day Parking $275+

$475 for 3-day GA is insane, and for $25 more, you can have the T9 GS, which is one of the best out there imho. T9 being the cheapest GS is just bizarre.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

There was no DRS and the cars couldn't follow as closely as they can now, so there weren't as many overtakes on the track, but the drivers really had to earn an overtake and there were some great battles that either did or didn't end in an overtake. To me, a great battle is what I'm looking for, even when a pass is neveer made as the result. 

The strategy variables were incredible compared to now, trying to figure out who started the race light on fuel, who was fueled for a long run, etc. It also made for more variability in the comparative weights of the cars during the races, because of varying fuel loads. With today's cars, I personally think refueling could be spectacular for the racing (if Pirelli were to build tires that could take the pushing).

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Easy solution that will never be passed. 

Qualifying sets the Sunday grid. Run the reverse order in the sprint. (Or do the same with season points)

Yep. This is what I and (tbf) many other people have been clamoring for. Do that, and you actually have added value to the weekend imho.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

For those of you contemplating 2023 USGP ... prepare thy exit holes.

Facebook COTA Ticket Exchange members are posting about the new PSL ticket and parking bills they just got. People saying their bills have gone up as much as 70% for 2023, and many of them saying they're done with it all. One guy I know paid $1300 last year and just got his bill for more than $1800 for 2023 One chick posted this ...

319035706_10167617434610392_263723118886

... so I dug a little and found some 2023 pricing estimates on COTA's website.

3-day GA: $475+

3-day T1: $900 - $1125+

T2: $990 - $1050+

T4: same

T6: $1050 - $1125+

T9: $500 - $600+

T12: $540 - $780+

T15: $875 - $1170+

T19: $575 - $650+

3-day Parking $275+

$475 for 3-day GA is insane, and for $25 more, you can have the T9 GS, which is one of the best out there imho. T9 being the cheapest GS is just bizarre.

There were definitely GA tickets available close to the race for less than face value on ticket services. If they really want that much for GA then I’m either doing a grandstand or will wait to buy as prices drop. There’s no way GA can hold $475 all the way up to the race. 

1 hour ago, The Tres Leches said:

Paid $500 face value for high row Turn 15 last year, now they're $1170.

You can thank Miami and Las Vegas for blowing the roof off the market.  I looked and the absolute cheapest grandstand seats I can find in Miami are $1300.

Edited by utee94

This year we bought a pair of 3-day tix in MG119 for $1312, and parking in T (which I would never do again) for $195.  COTA’s site lists those same tickets at $1025+ each next year, nah.

For those who’ve been, is the track in Montreal within walking distance of hotels/city center?

1 hour ago, Duval Street said:

This year we bought a pair of 3-day tix in MG119 for $1312, and parking in T (which I would never do again) for $195.  COTA’s site lists those same tickets at $1025+ each next year, nah.

For those who’ve been, is the track in Montreal within walking distance of hotels/city center?

It's within walking distance of the Metro, which goes directly to city center. Almost everyone uses the Metro to get to CGV.

Re: COTA parking, the PSL guys are saying their Lot A parking went up from around $150 last year to $515 for 2023.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2