Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

34 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Are there any whispers of McLaren and Honda trying again? New management and open minds at the MTC + a past partnership of championship pedigree = they've got to take a chance on romance, right?

That was a pretty acrimonious split, a la RBR and Renault. I can't see it happening anytime soon, but never say never in F1. I mean, there were people who said Alonso would never drive for McLaren again after 2007, and would never drive a Mercedes-powered car in a race again. He's already done the former and is about to do the latter.

Edited by wood

23 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I wish but they'd have to acquire it from Phillip Morris and even if they did they would half ass it into a garbled mess of a livery. With Google ads. 

Yeah you could barely even make out the Gulf livery this year. Sad.

red bull - ford may be in the works:

Instead, Ford has no interest in formal ownership of the operation and is believed to be happy to leave Red Bull in charge of technical development of the power unit, although there would be the possibility for it to offer assistance in any areas of expertise it has.

Instead, its involvement would be more about marketing and brand presence – with it benefiting from an involvement in F1 and Red Bull gaining from the added kudos of a tie-up with a global player like Ford.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ford-linked-return-red-bull-2026/10411381/

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

image.png.ea18f8414b36b017d6d6e9e29cb76a95.png

in case anyone is curious, Alonso won H2H 11-10, was faster in quali and was faster in dry quali, he also averaged more points per race and was faster in avg race lap time.

Ocon had more points (89-81) and won 9-8 in H2H races, but from race 12 to 22 - last 10 races of the year - Alonso finished ahead of Ocon 5 times and had 3 DNFs for mechanical problems.

here is how the season went for best 90% of laps. Ocon won 7, Alonso won 8. Ocon also won the first 4 in a row lol

image.png.9cdc96533080a5fadee6a4d2bf96fa9d.png

image.thumb.png.bb63c96b062260b5d6ba2e3af8b77946.png

21 hours ago, elfenix said:

Always been a big Ford fan. I’d love to see them be serious about it again. I’d rather not just be some marketing thing. I have hopes that Henry Ford III, being younger and all, would see the benefits of racing. 

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

image.png.ea18f8414b36b017d6d6e9e29cb76a95.png

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Ocon gonna Ocon, lol. Everyone who was paying attention knows Alonso outclassed him this year. The terrible reliability on Fernando's side of the garage was the only thing that kept him from doubling Ocon's points. There's a reason Ocon is so roundly disliked in the Paddock.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, NoName said:

in case anyone is curious, Alonso won H2H 11-10, was faster in quali and was faster in dry quali, he also averaged more points per race and was faster in avg race lap time.

Ocon had more points (89-81) and won 9-8 in H2H races, but from race 12 to 22 - last 10 races of the year - Alonso finished ahead of Ocon 5 times and had 3 DNFs for mechanical problems.

here is how the season went for best 90% of laps. Ocon won 7, Alonso won 8. Ocon also won the first 4 in a row lol

image.png.9cdc96533080a5fadee6a4d2bf96fa9d.png

image.thumb.png.bb63c96b062260b5d6ba2e3af8b77946.png

Yep, and Alonso had, what, 6 or 7 mechanical DNFs that cost him 50 or 60 points. Add onto that the points lost due to tactical and strategic errors from the pit wall.

He was also quicker than Ocon in something like 75% of all sessions this year, and Ocon has admitted he had to use Alonso's data and driving style to try to claw back the time lost to him.

Edited by wood

46 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I just smiled knowing that they should now be on two different teams that are battling... and no longer teammates.

Is it March yet?

Ocon only really cares about beating his teammate, so there probably won't be many clashes between him and Alonso, but when there are ... Alonso won't have to play nice anymore.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

With this rule, I might turn into a Hamilton fan. Hopefully he gives the middle finger to it. 

Any political statement you have to get permission to give is not a political statement.

Seb was great for this on his way out. Lewis is the only one now I think.

Regardless of sport, no one will stand up to the ME countries and their deep pockets.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

With this rule, I might turn into a Hamilton fan. Hopefully he gives the middle finger to it. 

Any political statement you have to get permission to give is not a political statement.

let's see him do the jewelry version of the political statement. just 239481209384091234 different political statements

Every year he [bottas] starts fresh,’ Verstappen told Viaplay.

‘But after a few races you realise it’s not going to happen again and you accept your role. He still finished on podiums, he won a few races and took pole positions.

I mean….he’s not
i

wrong

i

25 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Max finishing the process of turning Sergio from being a good teammate to a bad one

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/20/f1-max-verstappen-fires-warning-to-red-bull-teammate-sergio-perez-17971023/

Max is going to tell his girlfriend "Yes, that dress does make you look fat. What? Why are you upset?"

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wood said:

F1 needs more of this. Not less. Sports in general need more personalities and fewer corporate robots. Conflict? Yes, please. Bring it on.

right?

we have a guy who is a super talented asshole, who gets along with some drivers but not others.

wonderful. that's what i want. that's what we all want.