Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

from comments @ reddit:

Decal Spotters are slightly in the wrong here.

This change in color has been done to comply with the new image Ferrari has been pursuing for a while with darker and metallic shades of red.

Here’s a bit of a history lesson:

It’s true that Ferrari moved to a lighter red as a brand color when Marlboro arrived in the late nineties, departing from Rosso Corsa.

Marlboro Red wasn’t used for more than a couple of years with the main complaint of it looking orange on pictures and television. For 2005 and onwards, Ferrari moved to Rosso Scuderia which is very similar to Marlboro Red without the orange tone.

Rosso Scuderia was used from 2005 all the way to 2017, with the exception of 2008 where a slightly darker shade of red was used; Nuovo Rosso Scuderia. With the SF-71H in 2018 we saw the brief return of Rosso Corsa.

Ferrari moved towards matte shade of red in 2019. Initially, the complaints were the same as Marlboro Red; it’s too orange. With the SF-1000 the matte red got darker and for the SF-21 the matte red was accompanied by a matte burgundy similar to Rosso Mugello, making reference to the original Ferrari.

It’s important to note that this matte shades of red haven’t been given a name for the public. This changed earlier this year with the arrival of the F1-75 and Ferrari making available this color to their customers; Rosso Ferrari F1-75.

1 hour ago, wood said:

F1 needs more of this. Not less. Sports in general need more personalities and fewer corporate robots. Conflict? Yes, please. Bring it on.

48 minutes ago, NoName said:

right?

we have a guy who is a super talented asshole, who gets along with some drivers but not others.

wonderful. that's what i want. that's what we all want.

Eh, I don't need asshole personalities in order to enjoy the sport. Just like I didn't need the Boz or Baker Mayfield in college football.

All I need in Formula 1, is good racing on-track.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Eh, I don't need asshole personalities in order to enjoy the sport. Just like I didn't need the Boz or Baker Mayfield in college football.

Hey, hey now. Mazepin's gone. There are no Baker Mayfield types left in F1. 

OK. Maybe Mini Stroll, but he stays way further under the douchebaggery radar most of the time than Baker does.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, utee94 said:

Truth.

Y'all motherfuckers that want "personalities" or drama or whatever go watch Real Housewives of Houston with your girlfriends. I'm a dude, I don't give a fuck about personality beyond not wanting it on my fucking sports times and will actively hate for it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, G650 said:

Truth.

Y'all motherfuckers that want "personalities" or drama or whatever go watch Real Housewives of Houston with your girlfriends. I'm a dude, I don't give a fuck about personality beyond not wanting it on my fucking sports times and will actively hate for it.

I hear you. I definitely don't want it to be the focus of a sporting event. NBC, I'm looking at you. But I also can't stand bland, milquetoast, corporate robot PR fluff. I'm in the middle.

1 hour ago, wood said:

I hear you. I definitely don't want it to be the focus of a sporting event. NBC, I'm looking at you. But I also can't stand bland, milquetoast, corporate robot PR fluff. I'm in the middle.

Yeah I'm against that too, but I find that a separate issue. Be honest and forthright, 100%. Corporate speak is the worst.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mario wants driver lineup with Alonso mentoring Herta.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mario-andretti-ideal-team-drivers/

“It’s very possible, of course,” Andretti said when asked if Alonso is one of the drivers under consideration for the team, speaking on a Twitch stream with SoyMotor.com.

“His experience is immeasurable and it would be a tremendous thing for us, so we’re going to look at it. I think he wants to keep racing and he’s still in his prime.

“One of the drivers who 99% would be in the team is Colton Herta, but he would need someone with more experience alongside him.

“This would make the team much more complete and that is what is being discussed right now as part of the plan.

“The main goal would be to have a very experienced driver alongside a new talent, and to have at least one American driver in the team.”

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Are we pretending that Nando is a nurturing teammate now?

Probably about as much as any F1 driver nurtures his teammate. I wouldn't call any F1 driver  'nurturing' to his teammate, who is his #1 priority to beat, but Alonso has been very helpful to some of his teammates over the years, including his IndyCar, IMSA, & WEC teammates. And Ocon said the other day that he copied Alonso's style at most tracks this season because Alonso was quicker. Alonso shared his data and gave Ocon tips so that he could make up time when he was behind Alonso on pace, which was most of the time. Ocon and other drivers who've been teammates of Alonso have talked about how much they learned from him. Surely Herta would benefit greatly from Alonso being across the garage. Just because Alonso beats his teammates most of the time doesn't mean he never helps them.

Edited by wood

Probably about as much as any F1 driver nurtures his teammate. I wouldn't call any F1 driver  'nurturing' to his teammate, who is his #1 priority to beat, but Alonso has been very helpful to some of his teammates over the years, including his IndyCar, IMSA, & WEC teammates. And Ocon said the other day that he copied Alonso's style at most tracks this season because Alonso was quicker. Alonso shared his data and gave Ocon tips so that he could make up time when he was behind Alonso on pace, which was most of the time. Ocon and other drivers who've been teammates of Alonso have talked about how much they learned from him. Surely Herta would benefit greatly from Alonso being across the garage. Just because Alonso beats his teammates most of the time doesn't mean he never helps them.
I know you have a lot more F1 history than I do, but this feels like revisionist history.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
44 minutes ago, wood said:

I know you have a lot more F1 history than I do, but this feels like revisionist history.

It's not. Which parts feel like revisionism to you?

Edited by wood

I don't think a veteran like Alonso is expected to directly mentor Herta. But someone like Alonso would be invaluable for car setup and development over the course of a weekend. They would provide a solid baseline of where the car actually is and something for Herta to compare to as he figures out an F1 car.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I don't think a veteran like Alonso is expected to directly mentor Herta. But someone like Alonso would be invaluable for car setup and development over the course of a weekend. They would provide a solid baseline of where the car actually is and something for Herta to compare to as he figures out an F1 car.

Yep. Exactly. For a new team and a new car, the impact of a driver with Alonso's ability to push the car to its limits and give useful feedback to the engineers would be massive.

Edited by wood

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, wood said:
Yep. Exactly. For a new team and a new car, the impact of a driver with Alonso's ability to push the car to its limits and give useful feedback to the engineers would be massive.

That part, absolutely. I was referring more to the mentoring part.

OK, so which parts struck you as revisionism?

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Isn't Alonso known for not playing nice with teammates? That's kind of his thing.

He has that reputation in some quarters. Some of it is deserved. A lot of it isn't. Like with any driver. That's kind of 'his thing' because it gets played up as much as possible by some F1 'journos' and fans, while they give others a free ride for their bs. There are no angels on the F1 grid. The teammates Fernando clashed with weren't playing nice with him either at the time, but somehow they never take any heat for it. Most of Alonso's teammates, however, have had nice things to say after being teamed with Alonso. Rob Smedley, Mark Slade, and others have also made glowing remarks about their time working with Alonso.

The F1 press being overwhelmingly Brit has a lot to do with Alonso's reputation. Like when they hammered Alonso relentlessly (and still do to this day) over the 'GP2 engine' rant. Jenson Button was also making negative remarks about the engine that weekend and on others (and rightly so, because Honda was a years-long absolute disaster). He's never taken any stick over it whatsoever. To this day, practically everything Alonso says publicly is under intense scrutiny and is played up spectacularly and often quoted out of context for clicks. There have been other drivers who suffer that, but I've never seen anything at that level, even in other sports.

Teammate clashes are very common in F1. If you asked every driver on the grid, I'd bet the farm that 100% of them have had multiple teammates they never got along with. None of what I posted was 'revisionism'. Even if Alonso has clashed with one or two teammates in the past, he's also helped some of them, too, and Herta would probably benefit greatly just from being across the garage from a driver of Alonso's caliber, even if Alonso never gave him a single direct tip.

• Hook 'Em 1

He has that reputation in some quarters. Some of it is deserved. A lot of it isn't. Like with any driver. That's kind of 'his thing' because it gets played up as much as possible by some F1 'journos' and fans, while they give others a free ride for their bs. There are no angels on the F1 grid. The teammates Fernando clashed with weren't playing nice with him either at the time, but somehow they never take any heat for it. Most of Alonso's teammates, however, have had nice things to say after being teamed with Alonso. Rob Smedley, Mark Slade, and others have also made glowing remarks about their time working with Alonso.
The F1 press being overwhelmingly Brit has a lot to do with Alonso's reputation. Like when they hammered Alonso relentlessly (and still do to this day) over the 'GP2 engine' rant. Jenson Button was also making negative remarks about the engine that weekend and on others (and rightly so, because Honda was a years-long absolute disaster). He's never taken any stick over it whatsoever. To this day, practically everything Alonso says publicly is under intense scrutiny and is played up spectacularly and often quoted out of context for clicks. There have been other drivers who suffer that, but I've never seen anything at that level, even in other sports.
Teammate clashes are very common in F1. If you asked every driver on the grid, I'd bet the farm that 100% of them have had multiple teammates they never got along with. None of what I posted was 'revisionism'. Even if Alonso has clashed with one or two teammates in the past, he's also helped some of them, too, and Herta would probably benefit greatly just from being across the garage from a driver of Alonso's caliber, even if Alonso never gave him a single direct tip.
He's still a shit to Lewis.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

He's still a shit to Lewis.

As was Lewis to him. There was plenty of blame to go around at McLaren in 2007, among both drivers and team brass.

And there's this, from September, when Alonso apologized to Lewis and called him a 'legend of our time'. Lewis seems cool with it.

TELEMMGLPICT000307550053_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Edited by wood

As was Lewis to him. There was plenty of blame to go around at McLaren in 2007, among both drivers and team brass.
And there's this, from September, when Alonso apologized to Lewis and called him a 'legend of our time'. Lewis seems cool with it.
TELEMMGLPICT000307550053_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqSZQxiWSh52hx4XhCQ-g6KDXaG_3FkRG2WH2SGzlVXbs.jpeg?imwidth=680
And then there was Alonso's comments about Max being a better driver because Lewis only had to beat his teammate. And Lewis' response being a picture of Lewis beating Fernando in 2007.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:46 PM, wood said:

Can you imagine a grid full of PR66’s? That would certainly decrease my interest in the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, wood said:
TELEMMGLPICT000307550053_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqSZQxiWSh52hx4XhCQ-g6KDXaG_3FkRG2WH2SGzlVXbs.jpeg?imwidth=680

And then there was Alonso's comments about Max being a better driver because Lewis only had to beat his teammate. And Lewis' response being a picture of Lewis beating Fernando in 2007.

No, Lewis's insta response was made in regard to the comment Alonso made in the heat of the moment at Spa, immediately after the collision with Lewis. It didn't involve Max, and Alonso backed way off of that comment even right after the race, saying he had just been frustrated in the moment. The pic I posted is from a few days later, on the Thursday of the Dutch GP. Lewis made a mistake, which happens to everyone. Alonso vented in the heat of the moment, which also happens all the time. Alonso apologized. Lewis accepted his mistake and Alonso's apology. They hugged and made up. NBD, and Fernando got another cool item for his museum.

Edited by wood

The whole "team" concept in F1 is so fabricated. It should be garage vs garage. You go out there to race to win and that's the end of it. Fuck everyone else even if they're the same silver arrow or scuderia red as you - you're there to win.

That's how it should be, IMO. That's probably what the drivers want, too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

The whole "team" concept in F1 is so fabricated. It should be garage vs garage. You go out there to race to win and that's the end of it. Fuck everyone else even if they're the same silver arrow or scuderia red as you - you're there to win.

That's how it should be, IMO. That's probably what the drivers want, too. 

I'll admit,  I'm a relative newb.... just started watching when vettel and webber were at each other's throats. 

So, dumb question amnesty time...

Hasn't the constructors title historically been a much bigger deal than the drivers title?   Back in the day would teammates act more like teammates or would guys like Senna, Probst and Schumacher cut your throat regardless of what you were driving? 

2 hours ago, pops said:

I'll admit,  I'm a relative newb.... just started watching when vettel and webber were at each other's throats. 

So, dumb question amnesty time...

Hasn't the constructors title historically been a much bigger deal than the drivers title?   Back in the day would teammates act more like teammates or would guys like Senna, Probst and Schumacher cut your throat regardless of what you were driving? 

In a nutshell, yes. The WCC pays money and is why the constructors enter in the first place. They do like the bonus of winning a WDC, but their fundamental motivation is to win the WCC or place as highly as they can. It's always been competitive between drivers in the same team, but until until the last 25-35 years, they tended to willingly put the team's needs above their own, and some number 2s were more than willing to sacrifice their whole race to benefit the lead driver, even to the point of giving up their car when the lead driver's car broke. They also were much more considerate of the safety of the people they raced against, safe driving standards, etc, until Senna and Schumi started trying to kill people for overtaking them etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1