Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Button is really good at it, but never seems to really be enjoying himself when he’s part of the coverage.

I do like Ant a lot, too, but he still is technically employed by Mercedes. Doesn’t bother me of course, but may be an issue with others. He is now retired from all other racing, though, so he could do it.

haven't seen this guy's work before but Lee Johnson did a series called Formula Non that's pretty cool

https://www.formulanon.com/

about it:

Spoiler

This project began in 2009 and took me to twenty five Formula 1 race weekends in seventeen countries over ten years. The photos are all shot from the edges of the circuits, where little can be seen other than some clues that you might be at a Formula 1 race.

The scope of the work grew over the decade of shooting, eventually becoming more formal when I started using a large format camera in 2017. Ironically this method of shooting ended up yielding the only photos that contain glimpses of the cars on the track.

The project has been split into thematic parts here. A final edit will probably be a tight one of fifty to eighty photos that combines all the themes. Perhaps eventually this will be a book, an exhibition, or something else. The thirty images here represent around 1% of the total work shot over the decade of the project and give an idea of the approach.

2 hours ago, faps said:

Ant would be great imo, same with Jensen. Hopefully Brundle carries on for another five years or more though.

Plz no Karun.

Seriously. I guess this means we'll be hearing even more of Karun, if such a thing is even possible. And yeah, Ant is great. Longwinded and clueless. Takes 300 words to get to a nothing point, or more often than that, something that's just completely wrong.

3 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I thought they were grooming PDR for Brundle’s replacement. Hopefully this means Ant Davidson takes up that role. Or just bring in Button and let’s call it good. 

Apparently Paul will be racing too much this year to make it work (WEC + ELMS). Count me as one who does not welcome the news. I really like Paul's insights. IMHO he was the most informative member of the crew, along with Ant. Glad to see he'll be racing more again though. 

Johnny, though ... brought nothing to the show. Damon used to be ok, but he's pretty worthless now, too.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Button is really good at it, but never seems to really be enjoying himself when he’s part of the coverage.

I do like Ant a lot, too, but he still is technically employed by Mercedes. Doesn’t bother me of course, but may be an issue with others. He is now retired from all other racing, though, so he could do it.

I like Jenson a lot, and I really respect his input. My only problem with him as a commentator is that he seems very often like he's holding back to keep from stepping on the toes of the guys he used to race against, like he doesn't wnt to hurt their feelings. Re: Ant, I never get the feeling with him that he's being biased toward Mercedes. In fact, others seem far more biased toward them than he does. Ant's awesome.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i like the track analysis he does on his youtube channel

Yeah, more Nico wouldn't be a bad thing imho. 

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Then it's settled. Karun Chandhok. 

Haha. Next to get the axe? Yep, Karun it is. Sadly, though, I could never be that lucky.

1 hour ago, wood said:

I like Jenson a lot, and I really respect his input. My only problem with him as a commentator is that he seems very often like he's holding back to keep from stepping on the toes of the guys he used to race against, like he doesn't wnt to hurt their feelings. 

Agree, and I think this is where Nico does a little better job.  He's more willing to be candid about guys he's driven against, guys he even considers to be friends.  

But I do like hearing from both of them, especially because they both raced at a high level, against many of the guys still on the grid. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not a huge Nico fan, tbh. I think he has a lot to offer in insight, but feel like he has a bit too much nervous energy? I don't know what it is. Appreciate his thoughts, but don't like listening for long stretches.

Same. He’s wound too tight or something.

Potential Red Bull - Ford team-up?

I can't wait to see Andretti's opponents rationalize calling Cadillac's interest in F1 "merely a branding exercise" - while welcoming Ford's "branding exercise" with open arms because it won't dilute their prize money.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ford-f1s-boom-means-it-requires-consideration/10425222/?_ga=2.132741512.723465530.1674266803-929280275.1636135226

Edited by wood

Last night I was jonesing, so I watched qualifying for 2021 Monaco but did it solely from a driver's view.

I know this is considered a boring race, but holy shit seeing the qualifying pace from the driver's eye is wild. These guys are absolutely flying (even the slow hairpin is fast from a driver's view) and they just know every single inch of that track. And on top of all that, the fact they can stay out of each other's way on the track is ridiculous. Just guys flying around corners and trusting the cars ahead of them on out laps will stay clear. It's amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, wood said:

Potential Red Bull - Ford team-up?

I can't wait to see Andretti's opponents rationalize calling Cadillac's interest in F1 "merely a branding exercise" - while welcoming Ford's "branding exercise" with open arms because it won't dilute their prize money.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ford-f1s-boom-means-it-requires-consideration/10425222/?_ga=2.132741512.723465530.1674266803-929280275.1636135226

I mean RB adding Ford on their cars is not even close to the same thing as adding another team to a grid. There's no inconsistency between those two positions. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean RB adding Ford on their cars is not even close to the same thing as adding another team to a grid. There's no inconsistency between those two positions. 

There is when one of the major complaints about Cadillac's interest is that it would be a mere branding exercise (which hasn't been substantiated), while Ford's involvement would also be a branding exercise, as are AM, AR, etc. The teams in opposition say it's about the money they'll lose, but they instituted the $200M entry to account for that when a new entry came onboard. Now that a well-qualified, well-funded team is actually trying to enter F1 and is willing to pay that, they want the fee tripled.

Another line of bullshit they use is that there are 'enough' teams and manufacturers as it is. It's frankly stunning that anyone in FOM buys that. Short memories in the paddock, I guess. The grid hasn't even been close to being full in a decade. The last full grid was in 1995. Before 2000, 12 teams or more (on up to 30+) were the norm. Anytime until now that there have been 10 or even 11 teams, everyone's been saying there need to be more. I've never seen a full grid for a GP ... and every manufacturer that's ever been in F1 - including every manufacturer on the grid now other than Ferrari - has left F1 before, including Ford and at least about 15 others. Some of them multiple times. It's going to happen again at some point, probably sooner rather than later. We did have 12 teams from like 2010 to 2012, but HRT, Caterham, and Manor all went away fairly quickly, and the grid started looking pretty sparse again. Even people in the teams were saying 9 or 10 teams isn't enough. That's the only reason Haas was added. It wasn't long ago that there was talk of 3-car teams to help fill out the grid. This is the first time in the history of F1 that anyone's been saying 10 teams are enough.

And if all that's not enough, how can they call F1 a 'world championship' while there are open spots available and they're denying entry to a more-than-qualified applicant? I can't think of a prospective new F1 entrant over the decades that was as well-qualified as Andretti, and they're being snubbed using all kinds of crazy excuses when it really comes down to influence and money. It reminds me of the CFB bowls that didn't want to a playoff or even the BCS becuase even though they could clearly make more money with a playoff, they'd lose control

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, wood said:

There is when one of the major complaints about Cadillac's interest is that it would be a mere branding exercise (which hasn't been substantiated), while Ford's involvement would also be a branding exercise, as are AM, AR, etc. The teams in opposition say it's about the money they'll lose, but they instituted the $200M entry to account for that when a new entry came onboard. Now that a well-qualified, well-funded team is actually trying to enter F1 and is willing to pay that, they want the fee tripled.

Sure but that's all irrelevant to whether they care if Ford joins up with Red Bull. That doesn't add a new team to the grid, so it doesn't matter if it's a branding exercise because it's not adding anew team to the grid. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sure but that's all irrelevant to whether they care if Ford joins up with Red Bull. That doesn't add a new team to the grid, so it doesn't matter if it's a branding exercise because it's not adding anew team to the grid. 

Of course it's all about the money, but the whole "It's just a branding exercise" objection (as if it's somehow a bad thing for F1) is simply a ludricrous fabrication given how many branding exercises there have been in F1 and still are. If it's just about the money, which it is, then just say that. Instead, they act like giant, gaping pussies, making up nonsensical objections. They instituted the $200M fee to make up for any money that might be lost. Now they don't want to play by their own rules that they created as a tool for just such a circumstance, specifically to make up for any money lost. It's the hypocrisy of the stupid argument that I'm talkking about. None of them actually care whether Cadillac brings tech or just money. They're just grasping at any possible straw for an objection.

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That's some bullshit. Max needs to pull this next time he is interviewed:

Mike Gundy – I'm a Man, I'm 40 Rant | Genius

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yep. Pretty misleading. That kind of clickbait headline is becoming the norm in F1 reporting.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/28/2023 at 5:24 PM, Fastbreak said:

They fired the hosts of WTF1 and replaced them with a bland politically correct group of wankers. It was my favorite F1 podcast. /unsubscribe

I believe Tom sold WTF1 to some group a few years ago, and they stayed on until the non-compete or whatever contract terms were up.   It seemed obvious on their last podcast that Matt and Tom are going somewhere else and will pop-up soon      I don't believe they were fired.