Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

12 minutes ago, wood said:

This. Is. Awesome.

yeah...that's amazing.

did max just have a mega lap or did lewis back off at the very end or both?

max went from down 4 tenths to winning by 2.256 seconds?

Edited by NoName

I believe Tom sold WTF1 to some group a few years ago, and they stayed on until the non-compete or whatever contract terms were up.   It seemed obvious on their last podcast that Matt and Tom are going somewhere else and will pop-up soon      I don't believe they were fired.    

3 hours ago, NoName said:

yeah...that's amazing.

did max just have a mega lap or did lewis back off at the very end or both?

max went from down 4 tenths to winning by 2.256 seconds?

Verstappen was on much fresher tires. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

so a combo of old tires + mega lap + lewis backing off a bit on the last stretch then? thx

No. On equal tires Hamilton holds the lead. 

12 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Verstappen was on much fresher tires. 

so a combo of old tires + mega lap + lewis backing off a bit on the last stretch then? thx

No. On equal tires Hamilton holds the lead. 

wait. are you seriously saying that in this scenario, tires and tires alone were worth +2.6 seconds in 1 lap?

come on man.

Yes they were.  Old hards vs new softs is a big disadvantage.

Yep. Tire offset is the biggest time differentiator in F1.

In the same race, Max’s last flying lap on his old hard set was on lap 35 and was 1:27.76. He pits and his first full flying lap on the new hard set is 1:26.32 on lap 38. That is 1.4 seconds just on the same compound, so you can imagine what two compounds softer can do.

You typically don’t want to do that because it ruins tire longevity with these Pirellis (you want to warm them up more slowly), but it was one lap to go, so he sent it of course.

However, looking at the data it does look to me like Lewis dumped all of his ERS deployment on the two back straights and had nothing left, which makes lap time slower overall, but he had to do that to try and overtake on the straight.

b4c56cac91387ca3388ba7ad8f9c4c89.png

962b31a1b5952e1016d4336e1b689651.png

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yep. Tire offset is the biggest time differentiator in F1.

In the same race, Max’s last flying lap on his old hard set was on lap 35 and was 1:27.76. He pits and his first full flying lap on the new hard set is 1:26.32 on lap 38. That is 1.4 seconds just on the same compound, so you can imagine what two compounds softer can do.

You typically don’t want to do that because it ruins tire longevity with these Pirellis (you want to warm them up more slowly), but it was one lap to go, so he sent it of course.

However, looking at the data it does look to me like Lewis dumped all of his ERS deployment on the two back straights and had nothing left, which makes lap time slower overall, but he had to do that to try and overtake on the straight.

b4c56cac91387ca3388ba7ad8f9c4c89.png

962b31a1b5952e1016d4336e1b689651.png

thank yall, that data is awesome!

So if Ford is coming onboard, the next most obvious move would be to get GM onboard to duke it out with them & the rest. Dang, if there was just some experienced racing outfit that was willing to team up with them for an F1 entry ....

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, faps said:

So where does that leave Honda? I thought they were getting back in. Though it's sorta hard to follow.

Honda’s on the list for 2026 engine suppliers, but I’ not sure who they’d supply. Half the grid have engine suppliers. Funny enough, McLaren and Honda would be a great pairing if not for their recent history. McLaren has to become a works team if they want to do better than 4th/5th. 

11 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m glad that Ford is getting back in. I hope that it is not just to promote electric vehicles. I still think hydrogen will win in the end for road cars. I’m not crazy about the guy running Ford. I do like the historical ties Ford has with the current RedBull team. 

Hydrogen is the way ...

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

that fat LMP they keep rolling out there on promo laps the last 5 years after everyone spent a decade talking about switchgrass alcohol as the way doesn't leave me convinced.

I dunno where it is, but a couple of months ago I saw a little hydrogen-powered Toyota ripping it up in a video. It looked and sounded great.

ETA: Not the same video, and not as spirited driving, but here's a video of the Toyota GR Yaris H2 being driven by a WEC driver. This one is hydrogen injected into an ICE, but there are also multiple manufacturers working on H2 as an onboard charger for electric cars. For me, the way forward is with hybrid-powered cars and EVs with onboard charging like H2, gas turbines, etc. Plug in EVs just don't make nearly as much sense for a variety of reasons imho.

Edited by wood

I dunno where it is, but a couple of months ago I saw a little hydrogen-powered Toyota ripping it up in a video. It looked and sounded great.
ETA: Not the same video, and not as spirited driving, but here's a video of the Toyota GR Yaris H2 being driven by a WEC driver. This one is hydrogen injected into an ICE, but there are also multiple manufacturers working on H2 as an onboard charger for electric cars. For me, the way forward is with hybrid-powered cars and EVs with onboard charging like H2, gas turbines, etc. Plug in EVs just don't make nearly as much sense for a variety of reasons imho.

Holy shit - we agree on something. EVs are great for in city driving, with all the starts and stops, etc. beyond that - I want a hybrid truck / car that can push 50+ mpg.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Looking back at cars without the halo makes me wonder how anyone thought that was safe. It just looks like a decapitation waiting to happen.

I don't think many thought it was particularly safe. They just accepted the risk. Some reveled in it. ETA: The recent halo-less cars were far safer than cars that preceded Senna's death, so with that in mind, many drivers probably thought the halo-less cars of the last 20 or so years were relatively very safe.

Edited by wood

16 hours ago, wood said:

I don't think many thought it was particularly safe. They just accepted the risk. Some reveled in it. ETA: The recent halo-less cars were far safer than cars that preceded Senna's death, so with that in mind, many drivers probably thought the halo-less cars of the last 20 or so years were relatively very safe.

Until you drive one into a boom lift.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Until you drive one into a boom lift.

Yep, imho the decline in driving standards is strongly related to the increased safety of the cars, so while the cars themselves are much safer, the drivers are taking bigger and bigger risks ... such as Jules (and others) driving far too fast for the conditions, in the rain, under double waved yellow flags. Since car safety began to improve, we've had some guys driving like they & their competitiors were indestructible - both pre and post halo. They're effectively negating some of the safety benefits of improved car design, and Imho it's also pretty questionable whether even a halo would have saved Jules in that heavy of a side impact. We were also very lucky a couple of marshals weren't injured or killed in that one, too.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1