Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

4 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I know I am.  Obviously something was off w/ Danny, but I'll continue to believe there was too much priority given to Lando in the development of that car.  Predict Lando's reputation takes a huge hit as he pouts and snarks his way through a rough season.

I'm very interested to see how Lando handles this season in a shitbox. I think McLaren has to focus on him or lose him to either RBR or MB or FER and they know it.

It's a weird car and they are going to struggle a ton this year based in what we have seen in testing, quali and race. It's not great.

I love Danny Ric but can't blame them for moving on, especially with Piastri as an option. But doesn't matter when you have a shitbox.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you want to get into F1, you have to get out of the American sports fan mindset where only the winner matters and learn to appreciate the battles up and down the field.  Notice no one has mentioned Max once today - we all know he's going to dominate.  The drama and intrigue is following everyone else trying to make changes throughout the season to close the gap while beating each other up.  Every now and then you get a true fight for the lead and it's awesome, but that's a treat and not the norm.
Along those lines - the fight between Merc & AMR, champions HAM & ALO w/ RUS & STR as capable 2s is going to be one of the best parts of this season.  That's the battle for 3rd today, and possible that one of them could nip Ferrari for 2nd.

It’s like college football
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I mean the race was never really in doubt with Red Bull domination so that was about as good a race to watch as it could have been with that in mind. Watching Alonso stalk Hamilton then the announcers being worried he wouldn't have enough tires left to stay ahead was a bit funny. Yes, this young Fernando kid is pretty wet behind the ears so makes sense to wonder if he'd thought of that. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean the race was never really in doubt with Red Bull domination so that was about as good a race to watch as it could have been with that in mind. Watching Alonso stalk Hamilton then the announcers being worried he wouldn't have enough tires left to stay ahead was a bit funny. Yes, this young Fernando kid is pretty wet behind the ears so makes sense to wonder if he'd thought of that. 

In all fairness, the following virtual safety car worked out for him nicely, cooling his tires before taking on Carlos 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean the race was never really in doubt with Red Bull domination so that was about as good a race to watch as it could have been with that in mind. Watching Alonso stalk Hamilton then the announcers being worried hoping and praying he wouldn't have enough tires left to stay ahead was a bit funny. Yes, this young Fernando kid is pretty wet behind the ears so makes sense to wonder if he'd thought of that. 

fixed...

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, wood said:

fixed...

I don't really agree with your read on their hopes but even if it were the case, I'm sure they were just hoping for something sustainably exciting. Snooze fest of a race. They talked more about Lando and his P17 (or whatever) pneumatic issues than anything else. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Watching Alonso stalk Hamilton then the announcers being worried he wouldn't have enough tires left to stay ahead was a bit funny. Yes, this young Fernando kid is pretty wet behind the ears so makes sense to wonder if he'd thought of that. 

This. They commented on how Fernando has the rare ability to drive a F1 car while running through his strategy and the strategies of everyone else, but then later “oh wait! Is he overcooking his tires?!”

Pretty sure he was on top of his tire deg. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s like college football

Exactly. I have a few coworkers (huge CFB fans) who were surprised I had become an F1 fan, and their objection centered around  “You already know what’s going to happen. Only one or two racers have a chance to win.“ So I said “we all knew the national champion this year was either going to be Georgia, Alabama, or Ohio State, but we all watched, right?”

They tried to argue before eventually agreeing the comparison fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Exactly. I have a few coworkers (huge CFB fans) who were surprised I had become an F1 fan, and their objection centered around  “You already know what’s going to happen. Only one or two racers have a chance to win.“ So I said “we all knew the national champion this year was either going to be Georgia, Alabama, or Ohio State, but we all watched, right?”
They tried to argue before eventually agreeing the comparison fit. 

I think Premier League soccer is similar in that way too. But I digress.

So who do you have as your second-best team right now? AM or Ferrari? 

Apart from Alonso, the Williams at 10 and 12 is what jumped out to me. Also surprising to see Zhou at 16 when the drivers behind him either retired or was Lando Norris. Meanwhile, Bottas placed 8th.

I wonder if a lot of midfield teams are big-time worried. With AM looking so good, now it seems that the top 8 spots are now claimed, leaving only three points to fight for each race.

I think it goes Red Bull ----- Ferrari -- Aston Martin and Mercedes right now, based purely on car potential performance. But when you consider Ferrari's ability to fuck every weekend up they are probably even with or below the latter two teams. I'm not convinced from one weekend that Aston Martin is ahead of Mercedes, but Lance Stroll splitting their two cars is pretty damning evidence. Much more than Alonso beating them.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Apart from Alonso, the Williams at 10 and 12 is what jumped out to me. Also surprising to see Zhou at 16 when the drivers behind him either retired or was Lando Norris. Meanwhile, Bottas placed 8th.

I wonder if a lot of midfield teams are big-time worried. With AM looking so good, now it seems that the top 8 spots are now claimed, leaving only three points to fight for each race.

For now Ferrari is better than AM, but AM clearly knows the RB concept, and I expect they’ll continue this rapid development pace and pass Ferrari on pace at some point in the season. RB had Max backing off after about 7 laps. He could’ve lapped almost the entire field besides maybe 3 drivers if he wanted to. 

Ferrari has their best setup in qualifying and it goes downhill the more laps they run once the race starts.  Red Bull told Checo not to worry about being in a hurry to catch LeClerc because they knew his tires wouldn't hold up.

Edited by kevwun

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

This. They commented on how Fernando has the rare ability to drive a F1 car while running through his strategy and the strategies of everyone else, but then later “oh wait! Is he overcooking his tires?!”

Pretty sure he was on top of his tire deg. 

Yeah it was silly. He was on new hards when he was hunting Lewis, and was still putting time on Sainz at the end.

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Noooo. I have a job interview with a company in Melbourne. We’ve done a bunch of video calls and they’ve been trying to get me on-site.

Oh, nice. Good luck! Everything I've ever heard about Melbourne is good.

Edited by wood

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have it as Ferrari/AM/Merc, and really in no particular order. I think they'll be fighting each other all year. And yeah, Williams looked better. Let's hope they can keep up. Also a nice drive for Sargent in his debut.

FYI, the Sky F1 Checkered Flag post-race show was pretty good overall , ending with an excellent Sky Pad session with Ant and Fernando. Highly recommend.

And out of curiosity I looked it up. Alonso's 1st of his 99 podiums was a P3 in Malaysia on Mar 23, 2003. His mot recent was P3 in Bahrain, March 5, 2023. So that spread is currently 18 days short of 20 years.

Any of you know of a driver with a greater time elapsed between first and last F1 podiums?

So is it safe to say that after this year the Mercedes "dropped cookie dough" design is going to be done away with? 

It sure seems like it. I think that they were going in thinking that they could fight after some development the year, but the kicker was that RB showed up and just drug their nuts across everyone’s face, so the gap ended up just way more than just simple refinement/upgrades can catch. If RB didn’t exist, then sure they could battle AM and Ferrari this year, but I think it will be like 2014 all over again. The RB19 is just insane.

Toto seemed so exasperated that he even told Sky that their big upgrade for Baku/Imola was 3 tenths. 3 tenths is good, but it ain’t catching Red Bull when they’re 1s+ ahead. I wouldn’t be surprised if they scrapped that now. Or, since it’s already in production, they put it on the car and just roll with that for ROS and do as best as they can, and then just get to work on developing a different concept.

If they are even with Ferrari and AM, then they are ahead because the team is better run than both.  Ferrari can be counted on to Ferrari and AM has a fast enough car now, but their pit stops are still pretty slow compared to the big boys.  I think they were around a second slower than Red Bull on Sunday. 

Edited by kevwun

The W14 isn’t a wholly bad car either. Like it’s not too bad to drive, it doesn’t bounce anymore, it’s just slow. That typically means it’s lacking downforce.

I saw a tweet that their seemingly positive trend last year (and the win at Brazil*) convinced them they were moving in the right direction. And maybe they were, but again, RB just owned everybody way more so than was expected.

*I knew it was George’s fault!! /s

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I hope they get it figured out. I'm a Max fan, but I'd be even more of a fan of four teams battling for the lead every week.

has that happened in the last decade? when was the last time it happened even?

19 hours ago, Mittens said:

If you want to get into F1, you have to get out of the American sports fan mindset where only the winner matters and learn to appreciate the battles up and down the field.  Notice no one has mentioned Max once today - we all know he's going to dominate.  The drama and intrigue is following everyone else trying to make changes throughout the season to close the gap while beating each other up.  Every now and then you get a true fight for the lead and it's awesome, but that's a treat and not the norm.

I've been watching for exactly 1 decade now (i cant believe that's true) and its still *feels* weird to me how much teams celebrate finishing not-1st place.  I know the logic of why: there's money at stake for all the points collected, but there's still something unnatural about it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I've been watching for exactly 1 decade now (i cant believe that's true) and its still *feels* weird to me how much teams celebrate finishing not-1st place.  I know the logic of why: there's money at stake for all the points collected, but there's still something unnatural about it. 

As Americans we are conditioned to believe that every time we enter the field of play there's an opportunity to win.  Euros have a much more realistic view of sport.  They know when they're team is outclassed and are happy with an away point for a tie in futbol, or points in a race, because they know that on paper, that's a hell of an achievement.  

13 minutes ago, Mittens said:

As Americans we are conditioned to believe that every time we enter the field of play there's an opportunity to win.  Euros have a much more realistic view of sport.  They know when they're team is outclassed and are happy with an away point for a tie in futbol, or points in a race, because they know that on paper, that's a hell of an achievement.  

Americans are right. It’s entertainment, not a birthright 

looks like i got lucky and it's JUST outside of the past decade by luck not knowledge haha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Formula_One_World_Championship
i need to go back and watch some highlights from 2012 thanks!

McLaren was further back there than they looked, too. They were super quick but very unreliable. I think Lewis retired from the lead 4 times.

Also, COTA’s first race was that year.

Wow, time flies.
  • Hook 'Em 1

He was probably already a lock for best ever, but Adrian fuckin Newey. Jesus that guy is good.

Add a great driver and solid, reliable power unit and his cars are unstoppable. Sucks that this year looks to be a lock for Max already.

I will keep watching for that juicy midfield battle and hope for the odd Red Bull double retirement gifting Fernando a win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Formula 1 is one of the most elitist sports in the world. The top teams are act like it is an honor for the other teams to share the track. (See MA/Cadillac bid). 

*I love it as is, and don’t care if they make changes one way or the other. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I just read Newey's wiki.  He went to prep school with Jeremy Clarkson until he was kicked out for "adjusting" the sound system before a school concert that ended up cracking some stained glass windows in the building.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Formula 1 is one of the most elitist sports in the world. The top teams are act like it is an honor for the other teams to share the track. (See MA/Cadillac bid). 

*I love it as is, and don’t care if they make changes one way or the other. 

It is, but I have to say that I’m pretty concerned with what Liberty seems to want to do with the sport. It is 100% money driven for them at the expense of everything else, and while it’s still mostly okay right now, I fear for the future.
  • Hook 'Em 2