Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Still kind of a dick move on his part. He's usually subtle about it, but he does tend to blame the team or other people when he fails to perform.  

I think he has matured a lot (or has had a lot of PR training) in making most of his public comments.  But, at a tactical level, he does this in damn near every race...

"These are not the right tires guys..."

"We've got the wrong strategy guys..."

He calls this stuff out so often, you'd think he was driving a Ferrari.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

I think he has matured a lot (or has had a lot of PR training) in making most of his public comments.  But, at a tactical level, he does this in damn near every race...

As a Leclerc fan, this makes me laugh and cry at the same time. Got dam I hate Ferrari so much. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

As a Leclerc fan, this makes me laugh and cry at the same time. Got dam I hate Ferrari so much. 

Speaking of, Ferrari’s head of aerodynamics just resigned. lol. Supposedly he was not a fan of Binotto getting fired, or maybe it’s because he designed a dog of a car this year that understeers and eats it’s tyres like Vic Mackey’s girl eats a plate of Fritos and Mac n cheese. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, morehornsepower said:

Well he does have just a bit of street cred that should give him a pass for making such comments.  I do agree that he has matured a lot, but I think that's just based on his loads of experience.  Lewis seems more than just a driver compared to most on the grid. 

Now he's frustrated and lashing out a bit.  Guess we'll find out if that backfires with the rest of the Merc team.

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That team has given him a car that half the grid could’ve won 7 titles with and made him an absolute legend. The first time they go in the wrong design direction in a decade and he throws all those hard working people under the bus because they didn’t do what he said with the car? Yeah that’s a fucking Dick move. There’s no reason he had to bash them publicly. 

Yep. Those engineers aren't stupid. I'm sure they had some very good reasons to believe the design philosophy could work. It just didn't. Sometimes good ideas are very difficult to execute & just don't work out, or the competition has a better idea.

Lewis has never had a season in a car that couldn't win a race. It's easy to claim a 'no blame' culture when you're dominating. It's tougher when things go south. After 17 years of hearing Lewis talk, I still can't shake the feeling that he got his car/engineering knowledge from the Zoolander School for Kids that can't Build Stuff Good. 

Russell isn't exactly motivating the team either, with his talk right after one race, about RBR winning every race this year. Toto's saying it too. Not a good look to give the Daimler board, imho.

• Hook 'Em 4

When I played high school football, the head coach would occasionally yell out, "OK, I WANT THE FIRST TEAM ON FIELD 1 ! THE SECOND TEAM ON FIELD B ! THE "ROYS" STAY HERE!

I asked a player what the hell a "ROY" is.  He said, "Rest of Y'all."

It sure seems like Red Bull is the first team and everyone else is a ROY this year.

Best entertainment looks to come from watching who will slide into the number 2 place as Verstopthem and Red Bull have the titles wrapped up before the summer break.

• Haha 1

Joe Saward came out with his usual post-race column, and as always people see through his bs & arrogance. Joe's bits always read like a compilation of every rumor any reporter/gossip in the Paddock has been talking about, regardless how flimsy. Amazing this guy still has Paddock access. One guy posted a Sniff Petrol parody of Joe from 2014. Absolutely spot on.

2014 Brazilian GP preview https://sniffpetrol.com/2014/11/07/2014-brazilian-gp-preview/

2014 Brazilian GP preview
by trentham 7th November 2014

Appalling F1 journalist TRENTHAM SLEAVES looks ahead to this weekend’s race
If Formula 1 had a spiritual home then surely it would be here at Autódromo José Carlos Pace, better known as Interlagos, the venue for the always-wonderful Brazilian Grand Prix. The atmosphere here in the paddock is literally electric in a manner that anyone who has been here, as of course I have many times, will recognise instantly.

The crackle in the air comes partly from the passionate fans, partly from the tangible smell of history in the wind, and partly from the very real ghost that hangs above the place like so many gossamer curtains in my charming hotel room. I’m talking of course about the legend and my dear, dear friend Ayrton Senna da Silva.

There’s not a day goes by when I don’t think of Ayrton and, if he was still with us, I’m sure that would be mutual. I remember once being in the McLaren motorhome and asking my great pal Alain Prost what made Senna such a fearsome and passionate presence out on the track. ‘You’re not allowed in here,’ Le Professeur quipped. ‘Get out!’ Al is such a character and much missed, although of course he is not dead.

Last night I dined alone at Benito’s, a delightful hole-in-the-wall Italian close to the track and very much a legend amongst those in the paddock. As I enjoyed my spaghetti vongole I felt in a very real sense that I was not dining alone but was watched over by Senna, or Ayrto as I called him though he asked me not to. My thoughts were interrupted when I noticed a certain 1996 World Champion who shall remain nameless coming out of the lavatory and approached him for a chat. ‘Oh for God’s sake, leave me alone,’ he jested before walking briskly out of the premises. Priceless!

As to who will take the infamous chequered flag here amongst the passionate Brazilian fans, I think it would be churlish to speculate. However, you’d be foolish to bet against either of the Mercedes unless you fancied an outside bet on the impressive Williams’ or the late charging Ferraris or a final push from the Red Bulls.

Whatever happens here in Brazil, rest assured I will be enjoying it from right in the thick of the action. Because remember, I’m here and you’re not.

Edited by wood
  • Haha 1

That’s some dangerous [strikethrough]driving[/strikethrough] commenting mate
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I watched some of last year's Nascar race at COTA. I was unimpressed. 

I attended the first year.  The weekend was a rainy mess for the most part, but even allowing for that,  it just wasn't much fun watching those cars labor their way around a proper circuit.  And don't even get me started on that bizarre stop/restart "stage" racing.  What a truly awful product it delivers.

Indycar was much more interesting, track limit issues aside (esp. T19).  I came away very impressed with how much performance they achieved on a fraction of the budget compared to F1.

If only they weren't so godawful ugly.  Removing all that bodywork behind the rear wheels a few years back was a step in the right direction, but they still just look so blocky and weird.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I attended the first year.  The weekend was a rainy mess for the most part, but even allowing for that,  it just wasn't much fun watching those cars labor their way around a proper circuit.  And don't even get me started on that bizarre stop/restart "stage" racing.  What a truly awful product it delivers.

Indycar was much more interesting, track limit issues aside (esp. T19).  I came away very impressed with how much performance they achieved on a fraction of the budget compared to F1.

If only they weren't so godawful ugly.  Removing all that bodywork behind the rear wheels a few years back was a step in the right direction, but they still just look so blocky and weird.

Why on earth do they stop the race for the end of a stage?  WTF

Also dumb they haven’t created a road course package with huge wing etc 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Why on earth do they stop the race for the end of a stage?  WTF

Also dumb they haven’t created a road course package with huge wing etc 

So they can have overtime, duh. 

And yes, it’s stupid as fuck. 

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

For sure. I used to really enjoy Indy but it got so ugly I couldn't stand it.

Athletic F1 Mailbag with Luke Smith and co

Spoiler

Hamilton’s title hopes, Gasly’s rise, and why nobody talks about engines: F1 Mailbag

Pierre Gasly of France, BWT Alpine F1 Team, portrait during the Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix of the 2023 FIA Formula One World Championship from 2 to 5 of March, 2023.

Welcome to The Athletic’s Formula One mailbag! In case you missed it, Luke Smith and Madeline Coleman answered all of your questions about Max Verstappen and Red Bull’s dominance and Williams’ next chapter in their first mailbag, while Madeline tackled McLaren’s future here.

For our final edition before we head to Jeddah for the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, we’re focusing on what’s happening in the midfield, why people don’t talk about engines more and the future of the Silver Arrows and Lewis Hamilton’s hopes for a record eighth title.

Note: Questions have been lightly edited for length and clarity.

Pierre Gasly’s quiet rise in the midfield

Which driver in the midfield had a quietly good race in Bahrain? — Harold N.

Pierre Gasly may not have made it into the top 10 of our driver rankings after Bahrain, but to answer Harold’s question, he did have “a quietly good race.” The Frenchman had a horrible qualifying run in his Alpine debut as his lap time was deleted, and he did not advance out of Q1. After starting the GP in 20th, he’d muscled up to P12 by lap 16. Charles Leclerc’s engine failure triggered a virtual safety car, which gave Gasly the ability to pit for softs and later overtake Williams’ Alex Albon to put him in ninth.

Sunday’s race was the second time Gasly finished with points after starting from the back; the first time was the 2018 Mexican Grand Prix. — Madeline Coleman

Why aren’t we talking about engines more?

As a newer F1 fan, I’m curious with the fixation over car design, but not engine performance. Lap times are so (relatively) close. However, I feel when engines are discussed, it’s mostly regarding reliability. I feel engines are discussed as if they are all equal in performance. Is it possible that Honda (RBPT) has a better engine than Ferrari and that is more impactful than car design? — Michael F.

Engine performance used to be a huge point of focus, particularly when the new V6 hybrid power units were introduced in 2014. But as the years went on, engine performance largely converged, prompting the four manufacturers — Honda, Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault — to agree on a development freeze for 2022 that would cover the next four seasons. This was on the basis that it was not worth investing the time and money for marginal performance gains, particularly in an era when F1’s players are trying to make the sport more financially sustainable. The similarity between the engines is such that no one has a massive advantage or disadvantage right now, and there’s not that much to say.

Teams are still allowed to make engine upgrades for reliability reasons, which in turn can improve performance. Consider Ferrari. Last year, it could not run its engine in full power mode for a big part of the season due to reliability issues, which cost it performance. So although its development focus over the winter was on reliability fixes to run in full power again, this can unlock more performance.

Expect this to change in 2026, when the next generation of power units is introduced. The switch to fully sustainable fuels and the arrival of Audi and Ford (the latter working with Red Bull Powertrains) will shake things up plenty. Manufacturers are already putting major resources and focus on 2026 because of the gains that could be on offer. — Luke Smith

What MoneyGram’s sponsorship means for Haas

Now that Haas have the funds from a new title sponsor this year, is there any hope they’ll be able to develop their car to meet their goals of breaking into the midfield proper? Quali seemed good for them with Hülkenberg, but it’s hard to see the race result as anything other than disappointing as they were beaten by Williams — Griffin C.

MoneyGram’s sponsorship has the potential to give Haas the stability they need on the financial front, and it’s expected that the team will reach the cost cap this season, so it’s not like it’s spending any less than the better teams on the grid. “With the budget cap, in the mid-to-long-term, there shouldn’t be this problem anymore that you cannot fight for podiums,” team principal Guether Steiner said last fall. “And that is what we want to do.”

Coupled with a veteran lineup with Kevin Magnussen and Nico Hülkenberg, the potential is there for Haas, but success is more likely to come over the course of a few seasons, rather than from last year to this one. The 2022 campaign was a solid step forward for the team with its first pole position, but it takes time to recover from the two dismal seasons in 2020 and 2021. Haas only scored three points during the pandemic-shortened season, and none in 2021.

It’s difficult to judge the state of the team after Bahrain because Hülkenberg had damage to his front wing that impacted the beginning of his race and he received track limit time penalties. With this team, it’s a cliché “time will tell” scenario, but the new title sponsor’s investment should help. — Madeline Coleman

The future for Hamilton and Mercedes

Is it time to give up on Lewis Hamilton’s 8th title dream? With the news that Mercedes may abandon this aero concept, it seems by the time Mercedes are competing for championships again, George could overtake Lewis as their best driver. — Harrison L.

How much is Toto Wolff missing Niki Lauda currently? He seems very emotional at the moment and maybe struggling to process how to go about rebuilding the team and getting back to the front. I feel Niki would have given him a few home truths that maybe no one else feels empowered to now give him. — Greg S.

I’ve covered some of this in a recent look at the state of play for Mercedes and its prospects for the future. But I think it’s premature to give up on an eighth title for Hamilton.

He’s still one of, if not the, greatest driver in F1 history. You don’t lose that just because your car hasn’t been able to win you races or titles for a couple of years. And Lewis is showing no sign of thinking about hanging up his helmet. Sure, the current situation is frustrating for him, but he remains in peak condition and determined to turn things around for Mercedes. It might take a year or two (or more), but Mercedes will get competitive again and Hamilton will be there for the ride.

As for Toto missing Niki? It’s an excellent question. The famed driver, who spent his latter years as a non-executive chairman with Mercedes and died in 2019, comes up often in conversation, such was his importance to the team. Even on Saturday in Bahrain when I asked Wolff about Aston Martin’s progress, he mentioned how Niki would have taken off his hat (Lauda’s traditional way of celebrating; Mercedes has a red cap hung in its garage at all races in his honor) to see what it had done. He was an important source of advice not just to Wolff, but the entire team. I’ll put the question to Toto in Saudi Arabia next weekend. — Luke Smith

8 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Looks like Charles is getting a 10-place grid penalty for SA.  It's like Binotto never left.

I have to say, Ferrari managing to burn through both his allocated control electronics before the end of the first race is a real fete. Most teams would have to try extremely hard to fuck up that bad already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I need to do this

VFwwkLb7czz72m2gMteUr-1200-80.jpg.thumb.webp.997f1d90d44784d79b1e4c7ca3d199cc.webp

https://www.imore.com/music-movies-tv/multiviewer-for-f1-the-fan-built-formula-1-app-so-popular-even-f1-teams-use-it

Also London wants a race

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/f1-in-talks-on-london-grand-prix-as-new-street-circuit-plans-are-revealed/

Edited by elfenix