Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

2 hours ago, RPM said:

That was a BS penalty. Too far left? What was the advantage gained?

Yeah they've really gotten strict about that. People used to line up all kinds of crazy ways and were fine as long as they didn't go too far forward. The second penalty is kinda BS though because they waited 2/3 of the race and finally told him with about 2 laps left. Had they told him sooner, he could have pushed for a 10s gap and probably could have done it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

2. I don't think Sergio has figured out if you want to be the world champion, you have to go for the jugular at all times. Have to be selfish.

He was pretty agitated at his team when they told him he was fine lapping at 1:33 after they told him Max just drove a 1:32.6. That was with 8 laps left and a 5 second lead, and he still wanted no part of letting Max close the gap.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Cleaner track lines.

He was already on the dirty side. I can't see any advantage to be had by moving further from the racing line. Alonso said it was just a mistake by him. Probably distracted or something when rolling up to the box.

16 minutes ago, Levi said:

Lame 

Yeah I'm not sure how the rule reads, but just having the jack "in position and ready" (as Martin put it) shouldn't be considered 'touching or working on the car' imho. Oh well. Still a great drive, the car is fast AF, and Alonso got to celebrate on the podium, so it's all good.

Just now, deft said:

Apparently you can’t thus the issue.

No, the issue was having the jack where it was before the 5 seconds were up. You can serve the penalty at any time, and iirc it has to be at your first stop after receiving it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I also don't understand why the second penalty is 2x the first one. IMHO if the first one is served incorrectly, it should just be considered 'not served', and they should have to serve the same 5s penalty. But oh well ...

Mike Krack ...

1_Screenshot-2022-01-14-at-153256-copy.j

... said on German Sky that given how the car and the jack are shaped it's impossible to say from the camera angle if it touched it, he doesn't know either and that they have to analyze. He also said that the jack touching the car wouldn't be the forbidden working on the car as he understands it.

Nice to see Russell in the presser saying that 5 secs for the box issue is already too hard because there was no advantage and he himself can't even really see the yellow perpendicular line either and the white ones not at all, and that the additional 10 for the "touching" is lacking common sense.

Obviously, it's not clear to the teams, as two different teams have done the same thing in the first two races of 2023.

Edited by wood

Penalty is now undone.

I don’t mind that decision but can we get this stuff right the first time, please?

There needs to be a rule where it’s enforced within X number of laps. Otherwise you get Mercedes coming along in the penultimate lap saying “hey we just now noticed this” bullshit.

No Michael, this is so not right.

11 hours ago, MH BEVO said:

…is it safe? Is the podium officially official?

10 hours ago, wood said:

Seems like it. They changed the standings back.

yes, it's official

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alonso-gets-saudi-f1-podium-back-after-penalty-ruling-overturned-/10446229/
A

statement from the governing body said about the stewards: “They stated that what was agreed at the SAC (Sporting Advisory Committee) meetings with the teams was that no part of the car could be touched while a penalty was being served as this would constitute working on the car.”

A few hours after the race, however, the FIA announced that it had changed its mind because Aston Martin said that no such agreement was in place among teams.

A statement said: "Having reviewed the new evidence, we concluded that there was no clear agreement, as was suggested to the Stewards previously, that could be relied upon to determine that parties had agreed that a jack touching a car would amount to working on the car, without more.

“In the circumstances, we considered that our original decision to impose a penalty on Car 14 needed to be reversed and we did so accordingly.”

I know I'm just a surly asshole, but why are they going Saudi - Australia - Baku - Miami - Imola?  Seems like an awful lot of flying around. Why not Baku then Australia?  And why is Qatar smack in the middle of Japan and Austin?  Maybe have Qatar while they're already in the Middle East?  

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I know I'm just a surly asshole, but why are they going Saudi - Australia - Baku - Miami - Imola?  Seems like an awful lot of flying around. Why not Baku then Australia?  And why is Qatar smack in the middle of Japan and Austin?  Maybe have Qatar while they're already in the Middle East?  

initially it was Saudi - Australia - China - Baku - Miami - Imola - and it is a lot of flying around for sure. they don't do jack shit when it comes to what can actually impact their carbon footprint, which is less transportation or more efficient transportation

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought the same two things. She was a bit hard to understand at times but, I liked what she had to say. A nice addition.

Not directed at you.  She's from Ireland.  I'm fairly certain English is her first language.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Not directed at you.  She's from Ireland.  I'm fairly certain English is her first language.

i wonder if they had people mixed up, because she's from Northern Island and worked for McLaren, Force India/Aston Martin and soudns like she has pretty much only ever worked in the UK?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernadette_Collins

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

41 minutes ago, Mittens said:

C'mon man.

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Sometimes the Surly sarcasm goes whoosh right over my head.

I have been impressed by the three rookies so far.  None have binned a car and they've all driven well given what they have to drive.

Sarcasm is your friend.

😆

• Like 1

FIA launches tender for F1 tyre supplier from 2025 https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/03/20/fia-launches-tender-for-f1-tyres-from-2025/

Please, please, PLEASE let it be Michelin...

Reality check: It won't be Michelin, because they won't be interested in building a tire to F1's shitty specs. The only way they'd enter under those specs is if they were going to be competing with another tire manufacturer so they could publicly whoop that ass.

10 hours ago, NoName said:

AM brought the receipts

The FIA summons an Aston team representative (sporting director Andy Stevenson) to the stewards for a right to review hearing of the 21:45 decision. This meeting is scheduled for 00:10 - 40 minutes after the update is sent out.

“The stewards send their conclusions from the right to review hearing to the Aston Martin team manager. In support of the position for review, it is revealed that the minutes of the latest SAC meeting were called upon in addition to video evidence of seven different instances where cars were touched by the jack while serving a similar penalty to the one imposed on Alonso without being penalised.”

The FIA reasoning read: "The clear submission by the team was that the alleged representation of an agreement between the FIA and the teams that touching the car in any way, including with a jack, would constitute “working” on the car was incorrect and therefore the basis of the steward’s decision was wrong."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-the-fias-alonso-saudi-arabian-gp-penalty-u-turn-played-out/10446392/

59 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

AM brought the receipts

The FIA summons an Aston team representative (sporting director Andy Stevenson) to the stewards for a right to review hearing of the 21:45 decision. This meeting is scheduled for 00:10 - 40 minutes after the update is sent out.

“The stewards send their conclusions from the right to review hearing to the Aston Martin team manager. In support of the position for review, it is revealed that the minutes of the latest SAC meeting were called upon in addition to video evidence of seven different instances where cars were touched by the jack while serving a similar penalty to the one imposed on Alonso without being penalised.”

The FIA reasoning read: "The clear submission by the team was that the alleged representation of an agreement between the FIA and the teams that touching the car in any way, including with a jack, would constitute “working” on the car was incorrect and therefore the basis of the steward’s decision was wrong."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-the-fias-alonso-saudi-arabian-gp-penalty-u-turn-played-out/10446392/

I saw some people whine about how Ocon’s penalty wasn’t overturned in Bahrain. Something tells me that Alpine, the team who couldn’t even figure out how to get Piastri to sign a binding contract, may not have presented as good of an argument as Aston Martin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I saw some people whine about how Ocon’s penalty wasn’t overturned in Bahrain. Something tells me that Alpine, the team who couldn’t even figure out how to get Piastri to sign a binding contract, may not have presented as good of an argument as Aston Martin. 

Probably not, but they also didn't have much of a case for overturning imho, iirc. Weren't they actually working on the wing or something before the time was up? Sorry if misremembering. Slept since then.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Is anyone giddy as a schoolgirl that McLaren, especially Landon is sucking ass this season?

When asked if he had any sympathy for Ricciardo's Lando's difficult season, Norris FirstTimeCaller said: "I hate to say it, but I would say no.

"People will probably hate me for saying it but it's difficult because I never know if I might encounter that in the future with this car message board or with a different team thread or whatever, so I never want to contradict myself going into the future, but I've just got to focus on my driving shitposting."

Not a Lando fan. He's always rubbed me the wrong way, but then again, I don't know the guy either. It will be interesting to see how he responds as I get the vibe that he could be good for some drama in the media if he stays stuck at the bottom. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Is anyone giddy as a schoolgirl that McLaren, especially Landon is sucking ass this season?

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

When asked if he had any sympathy for Ricciardo's Lando's difficult season, Norris FirstTimeCaller said: "I hate to say it, but I would say no.

"People will probably hate me for saying it but it's difficult because I never know if I might encounter that in the future with this car message board or with a different team thread or whatever, so I never want to contradict myself going into the future, but I've just got to focus on my driving shitposting."

Not a Lando fan. He's always rubbed me the wrong way, but then again, I don't know the guy either. It will be interesting to see how he responds as I get the vibe that he could be good for some drama in the media if he stays stuck at the bottom. 

B5A39D56-2C18-4E1F-AFFA-1FE32CF38F00.jpeg

• Like 3