Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

9 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Seems to be "yes" so long as you still aren't exceeding the speed limit.  Stroll was going too slow trying trying to make the double stack work.

Doesn’t seem right to me. There are solid lines in the pits. 

Hamilton will get Stroll. Stroll is not good enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Came here to post something similar. That was ridiculous. 

But we did get "This is a shambles!" added to the lexicon. 

28 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Came here to post something similar. That was ridiculous. 

I have been to a ton of dirt tracks and had to be in the pits. They are very dangerous areas. I’ve been in NASCAR pits and even a couple IndyCar pits. It’s dangerous as fuck.

At dirt tracks, at least, you have people who have grown up in the pits and know what the hell they are doing.

This today looked like the photo brigade was released early. 

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I This today looked like the photo brigade was released early. 

Yeah, looks like whomever let them into the pit area forgot there was still one car needing to change tires. Not great, Bob.

Regarding Fernando giving Stroll his brake balance settings:

1. Because Lance is is bosses son?

2. He knows Lance poses zero threat to him?

3. Lance going faster keeps the chasing pack away from him?

4. A return for Lance not attacking him early on?

5. All of the above?

13 hours ago, RPM said:

They covered it pre-race. Around 25c but track temp was higher.

They were saying track temp at race time was about 42c, whatever that translates to in 'Murican. A lot hotter than yesterday.

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Someone should be fired for the pit lane fiasco. I’ve been in a lot of pit areas and that shit is just unacceptable.

I guess someone on the ground fucked up and gave the order early or the gate personnel fucked up. That's not a policy thing. I've been in that crowd waiting with the photogs a couple of times and they always made sure it was safe before letting us out onto pit lane. And yeah as Pitt Tigfer said, if you're ever out on the pit lane or in the Paddock, watch your ass.

Edited by wood

14 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Horner was practically apologetic that Perez won (instead of Max).

I want to say "oh, the battle between Checo and Max will be interesting this year!" But I don't believe it. There's no doubt in my mind that Max will get every advantage from the team. 

There will be drama, but I don't see the championship being a nail-biter unless Max crashes out of a couple of races.

That said, color me surprised that Checo was able to keep Max at a distance. I didn't see that coming.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I want to say "oh, the battle between Checo and Max will be interesting this year!" But I don't believe it. There's no doubt in my mind that Max will get every advantage from the team. 

There will be drama, but I don't see the championship being a nail-biter unless Max crashes out of a couple of races.

That said, color me surprised that Checo was able to keep Max at a distance. I didn't see that coming.

Baku is Checo's best track so that played a part in it.  He's better than everyone there.

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yep. In the post-race radio call to Max, Horner attributed Perez’ win to luck. 

Maybe he shouldn't have said that over the radio, but he's not wrong. There was no way Checo was winning without some misfortune for Max. That came in the form of a dumb quick trigger box call from the pit wall. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

y'all need to stop letting your hate for Max cloud your vision on this situation.

...wouldn't every team on the grid favor the 25 year old 2x champion signed to a long term contract over the 33 year old whose contract expires after next season? that's without considering the existing RBR/Horner/Max relationship and the fact Max drove in their junior program.

in literally every single single statistic one driver is better than the other driver. one guy has more career wins than the other guy has podiums and there are people out there (not limited to just here) who think it's really close between the two drivers and that act like the only reason the younger driver does better is because he gets favor from the team.

then again, let's not act like it really matters, the gap in both quali and race pace last year pretty clearly showed that Max was much better in the car last year and it wasn't particularly close. these are from the full 2022 season.

race pace, 2nd biggest gap on the grid behind Danny Ric 🤐:

https://preview.redd.it/0tnishfcv9ca1.png?width=2686&format=png&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=f43465967469e4c01119e26a923305bf9317b5eb

and quali, 2nd biggest ahead of Goatifi > Albon. even more of a gap than Danny to Lando:

https://preview.redd.it/43raed0cv9ca1.png?width=2686&format=png&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=dcf6d5ba79fcb16022bd7cd1c99f6698ab422d67

wish i could pull from the f1teammatecomparison app, which used a certain % of laps and was way more accurate but it died with all of the herokuapp free account deletion acopolypse and instead i am going with this one from reddit.

here are the results for 2021 - the gap was the largest on the grid for race pace

Spoiler

quali:

https://preview.redd.it/30irlmod42e81.jpg?width=816&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=011215dbf8abda949d9da444c852bac3884decde

race:

https://preview.redd.it/vjm3cg8whaf81.jpg?width=816&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=08b059e999c1ff2bc3895b4f8c1ba46066af1b61

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah. The best we can hope for is Checo staying within striking distance k year, but I doubt even that happens. Max learns his car over the course of the year and adjusts to it. Checo is much more limited in how much he can adapt to a car. Plus, a lot of Checo’s best tracks seem to come early in the season, like Jeddah and Baku. 

1 hour ago, wood said:

Maybe he shouldn't have said that over the radio, but he's not wrong. There was no way Checo was winning without some misfortune for Max. That came in the form of a dumb quick trigger box call from the pit wall. 

I don’t think it was a dumb quick trigger. They had been planning for Max to box that lap, so it was a snap judgment call on whether De Vries would cause a safety car, and it was clear at that moment if he had just locked up or it was something more serious like his broken suspension. 

Stroll was also insanely lucky that race. He hit the exact same corner as De Vries in a similar manner and got no damage. He continues to show he’s worthy of being in F1, but he’s capped at below average, and that’s with receiving every advantage a driver could imagine his entire way coming up. 

This some good race pace data from Reddit. Also so and Leclerc we’re extremely similar. It goes to show what a difference a driver can make. They were both about half a second per lap faster than their teammates, and Leclerc being 8 tenths faster than Sainz in qualifying was just absurd.

He seems to pull about half a second more out of his car in S2 of Baku than anyone else can manage. Ferrari’s race pace just emphasizes how other-worldly his qualifying performances were. Sadly, all that brilliance probably only gained him one extra point over the whole weekend than if he had just been solid and qualified P3. We could have a really fun battle between Leclerc and Alonso for P3 this year, if Ferrari can stop blowing up engines and fucking up strategy. But that’s about as likely as Alpine scoring points during a race weekend. 

Speaking of, Alpine have only scored points  in 2 out of 4 races this year and their highest single finish is 8th. That’s so pathetic for a works team better resources than over half the grid. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

y'all need to stop letting your hate for Max cloud your vision on this situation.

...wouldn't every team on the grid favor the 25 year old 2x champion signed to a long term contract over the 33 year old whose contract expires after next season?

Yes. It's common practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think it was a dumb quick trigger. They had been planning for Max to box that lap, so it was a snap judgment call on whether De Vries would cause a safety car, and it was clear at that moment if he had just locked up or it was something more serious like his broken suspension. 

Yeah maybe that was a little harsh of me, but what I thought was just go one more lap, and then you know for sure. I doubt one more lap would have killed the strategy given the performance advantage they enjoy.

45 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah maybe that was a little harsh of me, but what I thought was just go one more lap, and then you know for sure. I doubt one more lap would have killed the strategy given the performance advantage they enjoy.

I think I heard Max was asking to come in because he had worse tyre deg than Checo and didn’t want to give him DRS and then be susceptible to the overcut, but yeah they should’ve waited a lap. I think it all happened in like less than 20 seconds though, so hard to think it through and react. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think I heard Max was asking to come in because he had worse tyre deg than Checo and didn’t want to give him DRS and then be susceptible to the overcut, but yeah they should’ve waited a lap. I think it all happened in like less than 20 seconds though, so hard to think it through and react. 

Yeah the timing was terrible given max's position on the track. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

...wouldn't every team on the grid favor the 25 year old 2x champion signed to a long term contract over the 33 year old whose contract expires after next season? that's without considering the existing RBR/Horner/Max relationship and the fact Max drove in their junior program.

in literally every single single statistic one driver is better than the other driver. one guy has more career wins than the other guy has podiums and there are people out there (not limited to just here) who think it's really close between the two drivers and that act like the only reason the younger driver does better is because he gets favor from the team.

then again, let's not act like it really matters, the gap in both quali and race pace last year pretty clearly showed that Max was much better in the car last year and it wasn't particularly close. these are from the full 2022 season.

race pace, 2nd biggest gap on the grid behind Danny Ric 🤐:

https://preview.redd.it/0tnishfcv9ca1.png?width=2686&format=png&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=f43465967469e4c01119e26a923305bf9317b5eb

and quali, 2nd biggest ahead of Goatifi > Albon. even more of a gap than Danny to Lando:

https://preview.redd.it/43raed0cv9ca1.png?width=2686&format=png&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=dcf6d5ba79fcb16022bd7cd1c99f6698ab422d67

wish i could pull from the f1teammatecomparison app, which used a certain % of laps and was way more accurate but it died with all of the herokuapp free account deletion acopolypse and instead i am going with this one from reddit.

here are the results for 2021 - the gap was the largest on the grid for race pace

Reveal hidden contents

quali:

https://preview.redd.it/30irlmod42e81.jpg?width=816&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=011215dbf8abda949d9da444c852bac3884decde

race:

https://preview.redd.it/vjm3cg8whaf81.jpg?width=816&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=08b059e999c1ff2bc3895b4f8c1ba46066af1b61

Lol. Do you know who you're replying to? If anything, I'm among the biggest Max fans on this thread.

I said that because without help, there's no way that Checo can keep with Max over a season. Add in that Max is the number 1, and it's going to be even more pronounced. I only wish they would battle to keep things interesting. Because at this point you've got to think the only person that could even think about denying Max a third title is Perez.

Leclerc got asked after the race if he thought Ferrari had made any gains on Red Bull and he said probably not because we don't actually know how much faster they are than us because it's very likely they aren't pushing very hard right now because they don't have to.

47 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. Do you know who you're replying to? If anything, I'm among the biggest Max fans on this thread.

I said that because without help, there's no way that Checo can keep with Max over a season. Add in that Max is the number 1, and it's going to be even more pronounced. I only wish they would battle to keep things interesting. Because at this point you've got to think the only person that could even think about denying Max a third title is Perez.

ok then, my fault. i agree with everything you said re: it becoming more pronounced and who can possibly beat him (although I would say the only one who can deny Max a third title is Max, not Checo haha)