Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

I’m anti-Miami (and Vegas) overall, but they’ve really improved this circuit in year 2. 

I'm very pro-Vegas (unless they totally screw the pooch) but I hate Miami.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

If Max can keep this set of tires until lap 40, and really build a lead, he should be able to go to mediums and be okay.

Prophetic.

I want really fast  Ferrari that blows up engines again.  Such a huge step back from early last year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

Alonso watching the race on TV emoji23.png

3 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Fernando was so bored he's watching the big screens and saw Lance overtake and asked where he is!

Pretty sure he sees it something like this ...

zymAc.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It’s definitely the “blue water” around the fake marina. That has really grown on people.

They made that whole nonsense smaller and put in swimming pools, which is also ridiculous, but much more on theme for Miami, imo.  Obviously the new tarmac makes everything look a hell of a lot better, and the hospitality areas look like they've been tightened up quite a bit.  Looked to me like they actually took the YR1 mistakes/suggestions and worked on them.  Last year looked thrown together and this year looked more polished.

39 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't think anyone knew that the Hards would be better.  They were also worried about Checo getting passed at the start if he wasn't running mediums.

Yep. Green track & Hard tires. And the Med/Hard strategy worked pretty well for Alonso too, so there was some merit to it. Sometimes, it's really just a roll of the dice.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Best part of this whole thing is Sir Jackie not giving af.

Hard to imagine JYS not being able able to go anywhere the fuck he wants to go during an F1 weekend, but that's where we are. I can't see this happening under Bernie.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Checo’s team made the tire call mistake. (Hindsight) The only car that can beat a red bull is red bull. He should have done the same tire strategy as Max, the only car that could beat him. 

It wouldn’t have mattered. Max was just way faster.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It wouldn’t have mattered. Max was just way faster.

Yeah and Checo's not beating Max too often if they're on the same strategy. Not too often the other way, either, but that's all he's got.

18 minutes ago, Mittens said:

They made that whole nonsense smaller and put in swimming pools, which is also ridiculous, but much more on theme for Miami, imo.  Obviously the new tarmac makes everything look a hell of a lot better, and the hospitality areas look like they've been tightened up quite a bit.  Looked to me like they actually took the YR1 mistakes/suggestions and worked on them.  Last year looked thrown together and this year looked more polished.

I was just jagging about that because it was my buddy’s company that has done the “blue water” film used around the marina.

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah and Checo's not beating Max too often if they're on the same strategy. Not too often the other way, either, but that's all he's got.

Yeah, his best hope was Max struggling more in traffic in hards trying to overtake medium runners, but the RB is so dominant that it doesn’t matter. 

I look forward to 5 years from now when we get to learn what ingeniousl trick Newey figured out that literally no one else did. 

32 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

About 35-36 seconds into that clip. It's quick, but it's brilliant.

/twss

That was absolutely absurd. The people who run these things are assholes. And I hate that aspect of celebrity.

If you want to go into a different venue/genre than what it is that you are famous for you should have to deal with real people, stay up in your luxury box, or stay the fuck home.

If I am running media relations for F1 I make an immediate rule that any living former F1 champion gets an All Access pass for all three days, for every race. They just have to let the media department know three races in advance.

They, along with current drivers, are the stars. Not Serena Williams, Roger Federer, Vin Diesel, Tom Cruise, etc.

This is not your lane. You are a visitor.

At the U.S. Open tennis championship you don’t see stars from other sports. Etc., walking around on the court before a match, while the players are warming up before the start. People can’t just go into the recording studio and bother people while they are getting ready to record. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That was absolutely absurd. The people who run these things are assholes. And I hate that aspect of celebrity.

If you want to go into a different venue/genre than what it is that you are famous for you should have to deal with real people, stay up in your luxury box, or stay the fuck home.

If I am running media relations for F1 I make an immediate rule that any living former F1 champion gets an All Access pass for all three days, for every race. They just have to let the media department know three races in advance.

They, along with current drivers, are the stars. Not Serena Williams, Roger Federer, Vin Diesel, Tom Cruise, etc.

This is not your lane. You are a visitor.

At the U.S. Open tennis championship you don’t see stars from other sports. Etc., walking around on the court before a match, while the players are warming up before the start. People can’t just go into the recording studio and bother people while they are getting ready to record. 

Yep. This is the lind of shit that happens when you forget who you are (or never knew in the first place because you're just a vapid, soulless suit from a media company) and you completely sell out a sport in favor of 'the show' with nothing in mind but the bottom line.

• Rage+1 1

*kind

In other news, Will Buxton doing Will Buxton things just now on the twitter. The intro nonsense was terribad. It absolutely blows my mind to think that someone (or multiple someones) thought that was a good idea, or that that's what people want to see.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

counterpoint: giving big access to celebrities from elsewhere is great for marketing F1 to filthy casuals

3 hours ago, wood said:

*kind

In other news, Will Buxton doing Will Buxton things just now on the twitter. The intro nonsense was terribad. It absolutely blows my mind to think that someone (or multiple someones) thought that was a good idea, or that that's what people want to see.

It was the most cringy driver intros I've ever seen.

7 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

from the video it looks like he had no lanyard or badges on of any kind.  if the security guy was a generic contractor to miami - not permanent F1 employee - he wouldnt have known who jackie stewart is.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, wood said:

*kind

Thankfully, I missed the introductions, but I gather that they were a lot like the Buffer intros at the USGP a few years back? Woof. Sounds as bad as the actual grand prix. I wish I had missed that, too. 

It’s crazy how bad De Vries has been this year. I didn’t think he deserved an F1 seat, but I also didn’t think he would be this bad. He took Lando out in T1 this race, took Yuki out last race and has been pretty much the slowest driver on the grid. He’s basically Latifi 2.0, which is funny because the reason people said he deserved a seat was because he won F2…in his 4th year when Latifi finished second in probably the worst F2 lineup ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2023 at 1:51 AM, wood said:

It was also interesting that when Danica asked what happened to him this year, if he had changed anything, Fernando said he hadn't had the confidence previously from the team in what he can do, including with setting up the car. "I didn't change anything but Aston Martin changed everything for me".

In your face, Alpine. 

genuinely love how petty he is and how little he cares about what he says.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

from the video it looks like he had no lanyard or badges on of any kind.  if the security guy was a generic contractor to miami - not permanent F1 employee - he wouldnt have known who jackie stewart is.

I tend to agree with you there. And yeah, it does look like Sir Jackie was without any lanyard. 

It reminds me a bit of what I think was the first year of F1 at Indy and someone, I think from F1, tried to stop Mrs. Hulman from entering an area and they reportedly said, “who do you think you are?”. To which she replied, “Mary Hulman, but, people generally call me the owner”, or something to that effect.

8 hours ago, wood said:

*kind

Good driver introductions are one thing, like I said during, it was more like MTV Spring Break 1987.

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

counterpoint: giving big access to celebrities from elsewhere is great for marketing F1 to filthy casuals

I get that, totally. My point is that once you enter a new arena you can’t expect to then cordon off an island for yourself because you are special at movies, or music. And what is the point of being there to give star appeal if you then are surrounded by five security people and nobody can even shake your hand?

If you are going to be in the pits, you are a guest, not a participant, not a member of the Mercedes crew as Tom Cruise got to pretend to help change a tire at a staged event. 

Personally, I don’t care about celebrities. Not a bit. One year while we were in St. Tropez at the beach someone came in and said many of the drivers were at the cool beach bar and asked if we wanted to walk down and see them. I replied, “no, if they are not in the cars I really don’t care what they do”.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

I don’t know if I would call it petty. I think teams are brutally honest about drivers and will cut them loose without notice. Perhaps those teams need a bit of calling out. He is having a really nice season, and the teams he left, are not.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Anyone looking at going to Vegas? If so what is your plan? Bellagio has a couple of packages and I like staying there. Looks like it might be a bit easier to get top notch seats than at Austin.

no man GIF

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Good driver introductions are one thing, like I said during, it was more like MTV Spring Break 1987.

I get that, totally. My point is that once you enter a new arena you can’t expect to then cordon off an island for yourself because you are special at movies, or music. And what is the point of being there to give star appeal if you then are surrounded by five security people and nobody can even shake your hand?

If you are going to be in the pits, you are a guest, not a participant, not a member of the Mercedes crew as Tom Cruise got to pretend to help change a tire at a staged event. 

Personally, I don’t care about celebrities. Not a bit. One year while we were in St. Tropez at the beach someone came in and said many of the drivers were at the cool beach bar and asked if we wanted to walk down and see them. I replied, “no, if they are not in the cars I really don’t care what they do”.

some grid walk shenanigans

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, NoName said:

I love how he says what he thinks, too, but I wouldn't call that petty. He could lay waste to that bunch of clowns, but he hasn't.

3 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Thankfully, I missed the introductions, but I gather that they were a lot like the Buffer intros at the USGP a few years back? Woof. Sounds as bad as the actual grand prix. I wish I had missed that, too. 

The Buffer intros were bad, but they were a million times better than yesterday's. That's how bad these were.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

some grid walk shenanigans

What? You don't ask everyone who doesn't look like you if they speak English? LMAO. I generally like Martin, but got damn, Brits take the cake. And when it comes to Spanish, it's like they intentionally mispronounce the words & names.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s crazy how bad De Vries has been this year. I didn’t think he deserved an F1 seat, but I also didn’t think he would be this bad. He took Lando out in T1 this race, took Yuki out last race and has been pretty much the slowest driver on the grid. He’s basically Latifi 2.0, which is funny because the reason people said he deserved a seat was because he won F2…in his 4th year when Latifi finished second in probably the worst F2 lineup ever. 

Yep. FE isn't exactly a great feeder for F1.