Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

15 minutes ago, wood said:

I love how he says what he thinks, too, but I wouldn't call that petty. He could lay waste to that bunch of clowns, but he hasn't.

i think he absolutely is petty in general. not talking specifically about what was said here and i have no issue with it but i think he absolutely holds grudges about big and small things and doesn't let it go

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. FE isn't exactly a great feeder for F1.

The weirdest part is people who actually follow FE pretty much universally say Vandoorne was significantly better than De Vries. De Vries was such a weird selection for Alpha Tauri. He really didn’t show any promise of a high ceiling and hems extremely old for a junior team drive. There’s so many other better options they could’ve picked. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, wood said:

And when it comes to Spanish, it's like they intentionally mispronounce the words & names.

Dude it's like every language and every sport. It's almost parody it's so bad.

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Dude it's like every language and every sport. It's almost parody it's so bad.

Yeah I hate the way some baseball announcers say players' Spanish names. Esp the ones from the northeast. They clearly aren't even trying. As with the Brit announcers, it's as if it's beneath them to even try to get the pronunciations right.

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

For reference, I got a pre-made Subway sandwich at the Canadian Grand Prix last year that was $10 (so, what $8 US?) that looked exactly like that. I was pissed about that.

Honestly, for $42 I would have just gone hungry. I don't think I've ever ordered a food item that cost that much.

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

For reference, I got a pre-made Subway sandwich at the Canadian Grand Prix last year that was $10 (so, what $8 US?) that looked exactly like that. I was pissed about that.

Honestly, for $42 I would have just gone hungry. I don't think I've ever ordered a food item that cost that much.

Este. We always go out for a big breakfast or lunch on the way to the track. That doesn't last my boys all day, but it definitely helps a helluva lot.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

I feel like it's their fault for ordering a "wagyu" sandwich at something like that in the first place.  That's not the place to eat fancy meals.  Using ham though is pretty fucking egregious though.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

That last one is a fair question given they're in China. 

F1 is an exclusive sport and anyone with enough access to be walking on the grid you're gonna have to assume is cosmopolitan enough to speak English.  (And if they don't, he could just move on).  Like if you were at the bar at the Four Seasons Baku... chances that they dont speak English is nil.

I don't hold it against him, I think it was just silly momentary blunder. 

So Checo got fucked and Max benefited. At least when Max gets fucked, it's not by his own team.

Also, I have a hard time believing they didn't have enough data from practice + quali to know mediums were a bad choice, especially with a full fuel load. That data is pretty clear cut.

Edited by dieucla98

18 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

So Checo got fucked and Max benefited. At least when Max gets fucked, it's not by his own team.

Also, I have a hard time believing they didn't have enough data from practice + quali to know mediums were a bad choice, especially with a full fuel load. That data is pretty clear cut.

i think Peter Windsor said that nobody did any full fuel runs on Hards in FP1/2/3. he pointed out that some runs were done on mediums and softs but not on hards.

here is the strategy and who started on hards: VER (9th to start), HAM (13), OCO (8), TSU (17), HUL (12), ZHO (14)

FvmxlQ_XwAElLhZ?format=png&name=4096x409

all 7 ahead of Ocon started on Mediums (PER, ALO, RUS, SAI, MAG, GAS, RUS, LEC) and BOT did as well. 8 of the top 10

considering that 4 of the top 5 and 7 of the top 8 all started on mediums and did fine...no, it wasn't a "bad choice" - also note how many folks went on runs as long as Max did. SAR? BOT?

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Almost the entire grid started on mediums.  They put Max on hards because he was starting in 9th.

here is the actual quote that someone posted on reddit re: Hards

Q: (Ronald Vording – motorsport.com) It’s one question to Max and one to Checo. For Max, the strategy worked out perfectly well but yesterday evening when you discussed it, did you feel that starting on the Hard could be a risk or a gamble, given that you are on a harder compound in the midfield. And to Checo, you said you didn’t discuss starting on the Hard – but if you did, do you feel that you would have had a better chance? Or whatever strategy, Max was better in terms of tyre management and race pace today?

MV: Yeah, this is something I wondered about already yesterday, together with my engineer. We were quite strongly opinionated on that already – then, of course, you have to discuss it with the team, with the strategists, and yeah, they were like: ‘OK. In terms of race time, it was very close between doing a Medium/Hard or Hard/Medium. It didn’t really matter. But, of course, when you start on the Hard, the risk is a bit higher because we only had one, so if you had a lap one puncture or whatever, then of course your race is a bit tougher. But I was happy to take that gamble and do it the other way around. I think even if it was the other way around, of course you always have to look after your tyres, also on the Medium – but I just felt like maybe it gave me a better opportunity to get through the field initially. Because I mean, by lap 14 I think, I was already on a podium position, so from there onwards it’s mostly about driving in clean air and you have to look after your tyres anyway.

Checo?

SP: I think it’s hard to answer this one because you don’t know what the tyres would have done. Certainly my mileage would have looked a little bit better simply be spending less time on the Medium compound. That was very weak today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I mentioned it before, but they were worried Checo would get passed at the start on hards.  He's not a great starter and other than in Miami, hards take several laps before they warm up enough for good lap times.  On every other track, Checo would have lost spots if he had started the race on hards when everyone else around him was on mediums.  Sunday was an anomaly for whatever reason.  New track surface, rain, cloud cover some combo?  Hards are almost never the best tire on a track and they were faster than softs.  When was the last time that happened?

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, faps said:

Will.i.Am is cringe.

Also, this is back to back races where I nodded off during, then fast forwarded to see if there were any safety cars or yellow flags. Feels bad man.

Yeah it was pretty meh. The track contributed to that, but they've taken a step backward re: the outwash rules this year after the improvements in following that we saw last year.

Last night I decided to put my F1TV subscription to perhaps its best use by watching the 2005 Australian GP. There wasn't a lot of overtaking, but there were some fascinating, long battles that we just don't see now. Still, Alonso was able to move up to P3 from P13. It took most of the race and a lot of work pushing flat out to do it, but that's how it should be imho. And then you have what Michael did to Heidfeld in apparent frustration over his race. WTF?

49 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah it was pretty meh. The track contributed to that, but they've taken a step backward re: the outwash rules this year after the improvements in following that we saw last year.

Last night I decided to put my F1TV subscription to perhaps its best use by watching the 2005 Australian GP. There wasn't a lot of overtaking, but there were some fascinating, long battles that we just don't see now. Still, Alonso was able to move up to P3 from P13. It took most of the race and a lot of work pushing flat out to do it, but that's how it should be imho. And then you have what Michael did to Heidfeld in apparent frustration over his race. WTF?

This track blows. But the race was actually slightly more interesting than I expected it to be.

I so desperately want to see Fred in the RBR.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Checo didn't get fucked by his team. The M/H choice wasn't a bad one with a green track, starting at or near the front. You want to protect track position on the start. That's why almost everyone in the front half of the grid chose it. Had Max started at the front, he'd have been on Mediums at the start, too. 7 of the top 10 finishers ran M/H. Alonso, Russell, and Sainz made it work very well. Checo is very talented, but he is not Max. He never had the pace in Miami to beat Max. The way Max was flying out there, I can't see anyone having beaten him on any strategy.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

I mentioned it before, but they were worried Checo would get passed at the start on hards.  He's not a great starter and other than in Miami, hards take several laps before they warm up enough for good lap times.  On every other track, Checo would have lost spots if he had started the race on hards when everyone else around him was on mediums.  Sunday was an anomaly for whatever reason.  New track surface, rain, cloud cover some combo?  Hards are almost never the best tire on a track and they were faster than softs.  When was the last time that happened?

In reality, who cares if he is not in P1 by the end of lap one. Once DRS is enabled he can simply drive right by any of the other cars. 

^ He was on the grid Sunday & says Vegas's plans are way worse.

This is also very frustrating.

F1 star George Russell criticizes 'the American way' of pre-race festivities after Miami Grand Prix

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/f1-star-george-russell-criticizes-american-way-pre-race-festivities-miami-grand-prix

It's not the American way, George. It's the Liberty Media way. This nonsense is absolutely not commonplace in American sports, but this is the image of American sports that LM/F1 is pushing now to the rest of the world. I, for one, would greatly appreciate it if they'd stop, but I'm not naive enough to think they will. Morons.

10 hours ago, wood said:

^ He was on the grid Sunday & says Vegas's plans are way worse.

This is also very frustrating.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/f1-star-george-russell-criticizes-american-way-pre-race-festivities-miami-grand-prix

It's not the American way, George. It's the Liberty Media way. This nonsense is absolutely not commonplace in American sports, but this is the image of American sports that LM/F1 is pushing now to the rest of the world. I, for one, would greatly appreciate it if they'd stop, but I'm not naive enough to think they will. Morons.

It's not? I feel like any major sporting even has shit like this. A Tuesday MLB game in August? Nah. But Super Bowl, Final Four, World Series, All Star games, major bowl games. They feel like it's got to be a production instead of standing on its own.

It's exactly one reason why I like F1. Under normal circumstances, it's racing and that's the focus. But even in the short few years I've been watching it is shifting. Luckily when it says the race starts at 3 p.m., the lights for the formation lap go green at 3 p.m.

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's not? I feel like any major sporting even has shit like this. A Tuesday MLB game in August? Nah. But Super Bowl, Final Four, World Series, All Star games, major bowl games. They feel like it's got to be a production instead of standing on its own.

It's exactly one reason why I like F1. Under normal circumstances, it's racing and that's the focus. But even in the short few years I've been watching it is shifting. Luckily when it says the race starts at 3 p.m., the lights for the formation lap go green at 3 p.m.

The Super Bowl, maybe, but player intros at the World Series, All Star games, etc are done by the stadium announcer in a professional way that's not really done to add to 'the show', but rather to recognize the players for their abilities & accomplishments. Of course there are exceptions, but you rarely see anything in mainstream American sports like what we saw in Miami on Sunday. I have no problem with driver intros if they're done well, but I do have a problem with the way they were done. The main focus was not to recognize the drivers, but to create a sideshow, and a shitty one at that.

Re: liking F1 for the focus on the races, when I re-watched the 2005 Australian GP the other night, the difference in presentation compared to now was truly striking. The focus on the race, the drivers, the cars, and the track was awesome. You should check one of those races out if you can.

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

It may not be the American way but it is the Miami way and as stated Vegas will be worse.

And more importantly, it's the Liberty Media way. Miami ran that race in a partnership with F1, who would have to approve the sideshow anyway for it to happen. In Vegas, F1 will run the whole show. 

It lasted, what, 5 minutes and the race went off on time so in the end who cares? It didn't detract from the race. It's all the old curmudgeons of F1 fandom that are complaining, but let's be honest, you're not going anywhere. If this is what it takes to grow the sport, then ya, I'm all for it. And I own a mute button. And other channels. Or I'll pet my dog if it bothers me.

28 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean.

See, I have no problem with that, being in the Finals and all. It's showbiz, but it's just a celebration of the team and the fans and it's so well-produced. No cheesy, cornball lines about the players. They keep the pace up, etc. The thing in Miami was just soooo poorly done and so poorly thought-out. And like I said before, you do see some things like this at the bigger events, but it's not the rule. Thousands of everyday games across our mainstream sports aren't like this, and even when they are, that usually isn't featured in the TV broadcast.

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

It lasted, what, 5 minutes and the race went off on time so in the end who cares? It didn't detract from the race. It's all the old curmudgeons of F1 fandom that are complaining, but let's be honest, you're not going anywhere. If this is what it takes to grow the sport, then ya, I'm all for it. And I own a mute button. And other channels. Or I'll pet my dog if it bothers me.

I'm going. I'm just not going to the US races anymore, because they're stupid expensive and not worth it. And shit like this doesn't help. And it's not just the 'old curmudgeons'. Lots of younger, newer fans thought the whole thing was idiotic as well.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean.

I think all that shit is dumb. But holy hell seeing those starting lineups, I'd watch the hell out of that game if it were today. 

18 minutes ago, wood said:

yeah, highly doubt it is typical for a reserve driver to get his seat fitted 9 weeks in to the season and 6 months after he signed his Red Bull contract...

Instead, Ricciardo's visit was nothing out of the ordinary. As part of his arrangement with Red Bull for this year, where will be a reserve driver at some races, the Australian will also fulfil that role for AlphaTauri, so a seat fitting is a necessity.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

I had that thought when they mentioned Danny had to convince Red Bull that he was serious about driving again during the race.  Felt like something was brewing.  Yuki is only on a 1 year deal and De Vries is struggling.  It doesn't fit the pattern of having young drivers there, but they aren't going to need one for Red Bull any time soon.  If nothing else, he won't wreck the car all the time.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I just saw that email. Two new grandstands for much less than COTA GA. $270 or $411, including taxes and fees. No parking necessary.

How much is a ticket in the grandstand opposite the garage at COTA? I just assume $1K+.

I actually looked at flights when I got that email. Unfortunately, they are $1,000+ so it's not happening for our family. But spending a June weekend in Montreal? *chef's kiss*