Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Supposedly Ferrari is changing their sidepods as part of their upgrade package this week. So it seems the whole grid will be moving to the RB downwash style sidepods.

I’m not looking forward to Spain as a Ferrari fan. That track is going to murder Ferrari’s front tires. I expect they’ll be near RB in quali and then the 4th fastest car in the race. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Rage+1 1

One of the coolest parts of the Monaco race was that we got detailed pictures of a lot of teams’ underfloors. It’s pretty crazy how much more intricate RB’s floor is than Ferrari or Merc. It blows my mind that Merc and Ferrari have such simple looking floors in comparison.

I’d love to see this type of shot to see what AM’s floor looks like, but I haven’t seen any despite Stroll not even finishing the race. 

IMG_4186.jpeg

IMG_4185.jpeg

IMG_4184.jpeg

• Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lmao. Alpine just can’t help themselves. They really are the aggy of F1. 

lol

The team rejects the idea that the car is only so competitive in Monaco. According to Permane, the upgrades to the car are the key to success, as they have massively improved the car's performance. Although Ocon benefited from a grid penalty from Charles Leclerc, Alpine put in a strong performance on the street circuit in the Principality.

The sports director believes the French will confirm the upward trend in Spain. He says, "It's not a car that's only good in Monaco. We just put in the upgrades that were planned for Imola and a few additional innovations. The car just runs well. I expect us to be ahead of Mercedes in the next race as well and to keep up with Ferrari." Red Bull is still too far away for Alpine, but it wants to compete with the other teams.

Red Bull too far away, Ferrari as target

"I think Max [Verstappen] is too far away, and the same goes for Sergio [Perez]. If he has a good day," Permane said. "With Fernando [Alonso] it will be difficult, but I see no reason why we shouldn't take on Mercedes and Ferrari. We did that here and in Miami. In Miami, they were even faster than us, but we kept up."

One of my favorite F1 oddities is that on a multimillion dollar racecar designed with the most advanced technologies and fabricated with the lightest and strongest exotic materials known to man, there is a $12 slab of plywood bolted on the bottom.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

One of my favorite F1 oddities is that on a multimillion dollar racecar designed with the most advanced technologies and fabricated with the lightest and strongest exotic materials known to man, there is a $12 slab of plywood bolted on the bottom.

I’m fairly certain it’s not plywood.  Way too heavy and would be terrible and disintegrating in rain.  Unless I missed the sarcasm. 

13 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Unless I missed the sarcasm. 

Part sarcasm.  Obviously it's not some 3/4" pressure treated pine scooped up from Lowes, but I'll always find it funny that a slab of wood is stuck to the bottom of a machine like that.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The cars are much faster in Spain than they were last year.  Just starting to watch FP1 and so far Max is 4 seconds faster than the best FP1 lap from 2022.

They changed the circuit so it’s about 4-5 seconds quicker this year. 

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

The cars are much faster in Spain than they were last year.  Just starting to watch FP1 and so far Max is 4 seconds faster than the best FP1 lap from 2022.

Details on the track changes:

Glad to be back on a real circuit for a change. Hopefully with more space  it will mean no red flags because any incident causes a complete stoppage on the street circuits.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

7o49nn.jpg

Definitely seems like there’s something wrong with Leclerc’s car. He said the back right was off so he lost time on every left turn. Might be suspension or chassis. 

On the bright side, this may be the first time Ferrari’s ever brought an upgrade that actually makes them faster. We’ll see how their tyres do in the race. 

7 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I don’t think f1 is doing a lot right now to engage the average American fan. It’s been like Bama vs Rice for most of the season.

Having the best driver on the track in by far the best car is not exactly a recipe for good TV. 

• Like 1