Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Max is no longer struggling because he's gotten out of that big pack and is in the 18 second gap between Piastri and Devries. Amazing how the car is no longer struggling when he's is clear air and Alonso is in the pack.

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Apparently Charles' race engineer never told him Lando was coming up behind him on a hot lap.  Fucking Ferrari.

In hindsight, I’m glad Ferrari fucked Leclerc on Saturday, because they absolutely would’ve lost him a podium today on the switch to inters if he had started P3. It gave me an extra 24 hours to lower my expectations. 

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Lol Stroll

He hasn’t reached Q3 or scored points in the last two races despite being in the second fastest car. What a fucking clown.

It blows my mind someone was trying to say he was an equal driver to Norris at the start of this season. He’s easily a bottom 5 driver on the grid and probably the worst qualifier of the entire grid. 

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It blows my mind someone was trying to say he was an equal driver to Norris at the start of this season. He’s easily a bottom 5 driver on the grid and probably the worst qualifier of the entire grid. 

Having only 30% of the points of your running mate tells you all you need to know. It has to be very frustrating for the AM team. With a more competent driver, they would be firmly in control of P2 in the constructor’s standings. 

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Having only 30% of the points of your running mate tells you all you need to know. It has to be very frustrating for the AM team. With a more competent driver, they would be firmly in control of P2 in the constructor’s standings. 

5f848b3a-5338-4d51-b702-039abba7864b.jpg

Not defending Lance at all, but this was him mid February.

Who am I kidding. If dad doesn't own the team, there is no way he would still be in F1.  That being said, Lawrence doesn't seem to tolerate poor performance. Perhaps the biking "accident" was Bond villain Stroll trying to open up a seat while keeping the home front happy. 

Lance Stroll.jpeg

Interesting race.

Random thoughts:

- Race would have been a lot more interesting had Max not been able to go as deep on the Ms as he did. Kudos to him for holding out just long enough. 

- Smart move by Alonso to go with hards and just line up oriented specifically to cut off Ocon and give him no hope into St. Devote.

- Checo bumper cars, wtf.

- Russell's 5 second penalty ended up being no penalty at all, for an egregiously unsafe rejoining of the race. Again, that should be a demotion of x positions either in this race or the next.

- Fucking KMag.

- Yuki's Radio rules.

- Lewis, unsafe to race?  C'mon man. 

- Hulk SMASH!

- Stroll, wow.

- Ocon as DotD? Eh, ok. Dude was one of the slowest people on track throughout and did nothing but hold people up all day, but whatever.

- At least they weren't allowed to drive like absolute crazy people like we saw at Indy today. What a shitshow. I think they're trying to get someone killt.

Edited by wood

12 hours ago, wood said:

Interesting race.

Random thoughts:

- Race would have been a lot more interesting had Max not been able to go as deep on the Ms as he did. Kudos to him for holding out just long enough. 
I'm not so sure that if it were allowed, you couldn't run the entire race on mediums simply because there is no passing. Checo put on the hards right away with the intention of going the entire length. I bet the mediums would hold up once you go through some graining.

- Smart move by Alonso to go with hards and just line up oriented specifically to cut off Ocon and give him no hope into St. Devote. 
Nota  bad idea. Has anyone in recent memory taken the lead at turn 1 from the pole sitter? If he does it, then he essentially wins the race. But seems rare.

- Checo bumper cars, wtf.
It's strange how even though they had a title fight going into this, there wasn't anyone who has really seriously though Checo had a chance. 

- Russell's 5 second penalty ended up being no penalty at all, for an egregiously unsafe rejoining of the race. Again, that should be a demotion of x positions either in this race or the next.
Agreed. Also, GR is turning pretty unlikeable isn't he? He reminds me of that young person at your company who thinks they know it all on Day 1 and deserves to be upper management. 

- Fucking KMag.
Fucking HAAS. They just seem like a roller coaster. 

- Yuki's Radio rules.
Disagreed. It's old already. If he wasn't 4'6" and Japanese, no one would like it. But it's kind of funny coming from him. Still, how is he going to be successful when he seems to be a mental case inside the car?

- Lewis, unsafe to race?  C'mon man. 
I don't know if he sends out dummy messages, if he is angling toward something for a competitive advantage, or if this is just who he is. For being a 7-time World Champion, he just comes across as mentally weak with his radio messages. I don't think he is or he wouldn't be able to be so good.I'm guessing he has some sort of other reason for stuff like this... or when he said he wanted to retire the car mid-race before finishing fifth.

- Ocon as DotD? Eh, ok. Dude was one of the slowest people on track throughout and did nothing but hold people up all day, but whatever.

Eh, maybe Saturday driver of the day. I mean, the award is essentially for who makes a result that's the most positive compared to what's expected. Ocon did that.

- At least they weren't allowed to drive like absolute crazy people like we saw at Indy today. What a shitshow. I think they're trying to get someone killt.

When I saw that tire, I thought I was about to watch someone die.

I will add...

How much longer with Sainz be around at Ferrari? Leclerc is the golden boy there. Sainz seems to be getting pretty chirpy with the Ferrari missteps. 

Alpine had a really, really good weekend. 

Mercedes is going to end up second in the Constructors despite not having the second-best car simply because of the driver lineups. Hamilton+Russell > Alonso+Stroll. And I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso ends up second in the driver's championship. I think the odds are in Checo's favor, but Alonso is so damn good and consistent. 

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I will add...

How much longer with Sainz be around at Ferrari? Leclerc is the golden boy there. Sainz seems to be getting pretty chirpy with the Ferrari missteps. 

Alpine had a really, really good weekend. 

Mercedes is going to end up second in the Constructors despite not having the second-best car simply because of the driver lineups. Hamilton+Russell > Alonso+Stroll. And I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso ends up second in the driver's championship. I think the odds are in Checo's favor, but Alonso is so damn good and consistent. 

The thing about the Medium tire yesterday re: Max was the pace he was able to maintain while making the tire go deep into the race. Alonso said they thought they might have a chance to overcut him, but Max's pace on the medium was too strong. He said the performance of the tire over such a long haul surprised them a bit. They knew it was very durable and could go long, but they didn't think it could go that long with those lap times.

Re: Checo, I don't think it's strange that so few thought he had a chance in a title fight against Max in the same car. Checo is talented and experienced. I'm a big fan of his, and my kids have signed pics of him on their bedroom walls, that we got before he made it to F1. But imho the only way he's beating Max in the same car over a season is if things go very wrong for Max.

100% agree re: Lewis, re: Merc probably taking 2nd because Stroll, and Re: that wheel at Indy. There were just a few feet between nobody being hurt and possibly multiple fatalities. That's my biggest fear when I visit ovals, and we try to sit high up because of it, even atr the smaller local tracks. 

Re: George, I've had a perception of him for a long time as the stereotypical spoiled, arrogant Brit rich kid. Not sure if that's accurate. Who knows.

And fucking Haas, indeed. Compolete waste of garage space.

OBTW, heard yesterday from a longtime, reliable poster on another board who is an engineer and teaches college engineers in the top Canadian FSAE program. One of her recent grads landed a job at RBR, and just told her that a fellow student has been hired by Andretti for the F1 project. Combined with the recent silence from all parties and this, I really think things are moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think it depends on how much longer Leclerc stays. His deal ends after next year, and so far his camp doesn’t seem like they’re eager to sign another long term deal with Ferrari.I think Leclerc being up in the air helps Sainz stay longer. 

George has a big set of balls on him, doesn't he? Probably not going to endear himself to anyone at Mercedes with shit like he wanted to pull yesterday.

Monaco GP is boring af. I watch it, but it's boring. 
Yep. And this was an exciting one!

19 hours ago, wood said:

OBTW, heard yesterday from a longtime, reliable poster on another board who is an engineer and teaches college engineers in the top Canadian FSAE program. One of her recent grads landed a job at RBR, and just told her that a fellow student has been hired by Andretti for the F1 project. Combined with the recent silence from all parties and this, I really think things are moving forward.

it's happening GIF