Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

It would have been nice to see the places max broke track limits.
One was showed on the highlight package behind him during the interview.

Kinda wish the whole highlight package went passive aggressive with just the start and then the 4 offs

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

I don’t think f1 is doing a lot right now to engage the average American fan. It’s been like Bama vs Rice for most of the season.

hell that was exciting, just edge of your seat racing. I did miss a little while I was switching over to soccer.

At the very least this race had some different strategies, so that was something. 

Using the tires as the only real strategy variable doesn’t work when their is no real variation between tires. I’ like to see C1,C3 C5 or make them run all compounds in the races etc. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:
Who gives a fuck about the average American?

People who like money do.

The Americans that count have been there, and aren’t leaving. FOM needs to worry about Europe, not dumbing down the sport for the mouth breathers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The Americans that count have been there, and aren’t leaving. FOM needs to worry about Europe, not dumbing down the sport for the mouth breathers. 

I always find it amusing when people think that European motorsport fans are somehow more sophisticated than American motorsport fans.

We're talking about cars, not polo.  You see all those assholes that set off orange flares when Max passes their seats?  Yeah, that's your European motorsport fan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Was there? 

There was an epic battle for 14th maybe?  You know, the one between the German, the Chinaman....the man from Japan and the man from Finland. A very cosmopolitan race!

Curious how much heat Brundle gets for that gaff.

14 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

F1 has been making a huge marketing push in the US

Sure, but I, for one, don't really want F1 popularity to take off in the U.S. and for everyone to be talking about it. We have enough morons talking nonsense non-stop about American sports as it is. ymmv

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
14 hours ago, Fastbreak said:
Ocon defense was fine

And by fine you mean not fine, right? He might be the biggest asshole on the grid and that shit was dangerous.

Yeah he's a POS and shoulda been penailzed for that attempted murder.

• Like 1

Sure, but I, for one, don't really want F1 popularity to take off in the U.S. and for everyone to be talking about it. We have enough morons talking nonsense non-stop about American sports as it is. ymmv
Greg Maffei and Liberty Media do, and they own F1.

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

I always find it amusing when people think that European motorsport fans are somehow more sophisticated than American motorsport fans.

We're talking about cars, not polo.  You see all those assholes that set off orange flares when Max passes their seats?  Yeah, that's your European motorsport fan.

Europe is the base of Formula 1. If you keep marginalizing their fans with crazy TV contracts and sending all their grands prix to the Middle East, you're going to have a bad time. America is a luxury for the people in charge of Formula 1, it always has been. Besides you're talking about the Dutch, noted assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Europe is the base of Formula 1. If you keep marginalizing their fans with crazy TV contracts and sending all their grands prix to the Middle East, you're going to have a bad time. America is a luxury for the people in charge of Formula 1, it always has been. Besides you're talking about the Dutch, noted assholes. 

I'm not disputing that Europe is the most important audience for Formula1. 

And the Dutch are among the nicest people I've ever met when spending time in Europe.  But lowbrow asshole motorsport fans are the same, the world around.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not so sure that Max doesn't let Alonso or Checo pass him just to have something to do in the race. 

From Reddit. They tell Max he can't get fastest lap and to just bring it home. Max gets fastest lap.

Lap 60:

Max: What's the fastest lap?

GP: It's a 16.6. It was a first lap on a new soft for Checo with DRS. So I wouldn't worry about it Max

Max: What's my fastest lap?

GP: Yours is a 17.3. Like I said, you've been given a black&white flag so we cannot afford anything

Lap 62:

GP: Mode 7, please Max. Mode 7. There's now five laps remaining. Okay, now can you bring it home within the white lines? Thank you

Max: Yeah yeah

Q: (Ben Hunt – The Sun) For Max, just bringing it back to you. You were obviously told to keep within the white lines, risking a penalty. You kind of ignored that and just pushed ahead and got your fastest lap and the bonus point. Do they tell you off - the team - after doing that? Or do they give you a little bit of freedom to get away with things like that?

Max: Well, I kept it within the white lines, I just went a bit faster on the lap. So I didn't do anything wrong. They don't know how much pace I have in the car, right, when they tell me this is the fastest lap, don't bother, but I knew that I could do it. So yeah, I just had to keep it within the white lines but this is something I think we can laugh about already. I was laughing about it with Helmut after the race so I'm pretty sure that they're quite happy.

Max seems like a nerdy cunt. Crazy great driver. But he seems codled and nerdy like most of these F1 drivers. Im a newb F1 fan and got hooked with the Netflix show. So im an idiot. Grew up a nascar Dale earnhardt fan. Been to the Mexican GP and plan to again this year. I do like Checo cause hes mexican and alonzo cause hes a wiley old veteran that just loves racing and he wont take any shit if he doesnt want to. I thought there was pretty good action on the track this weekend compared to last weeks snoozefest. Russell and sainz seem like crying whiney little wankers.

Sainz needs to listen to his race engineer.  Early on he was told to push the pace more whewn he had a chance to get a good advantage over the Mercs.  He basically told the engineer to fuck off that he knew what he was doing with the pace.  It didn't work out so well at the end.

• Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Russell has become a total bitch.

Russell's radio was one of the more entertaining parts of that GP.

"Rain turn 5." ... "Nevermind, I'm just sweating"

"Just solid?"

Apart from that, it felt pretty clear early on that Merc had a significantly more racey car than anyone else not named Red Bull and would get up to 2 and 3. The only intrigue was if Checo had enough time to catch them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, wood said:

Greg Maffei and Liberty Media do, and they own F1.

I get that they care. I just don't see much benefit from that increase in popularity from a fan perspective. What's good for Liberty Media is not necessarily good for the fans ... and from what I've seen so far, it's probably bad for the fans. 

For years I've seen some fans pulling for F1 to be more popular in the U.S., but I never really understood why, or what they think they'll get from that. (BTW, Maffei doesn't own F1 beyond any stake he might have in LM. He works for LM and and Stephen Ross).

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, wood said:

No doubt. I've seen what we do to sports here. It's how we got 4.5 hour college football games and conferences that have 16 teams, of which 12 we have practically no history with. 

36 minutes ago, wood said:

I get that they care. I just don't see much benefit from that increase in popularity from a fan perspective. What's good for Liberty Media is not necessarily good for the fans ... and from what I've seen so far, it's probably bad for the fans. 

For years I've seen some fans pulling for F1 to be more popular in the U.S., but I never really understood why, or what they think they'll get from that. (BTW, Maffei doesn't own F1 beyond any stake he might have in LM. He works for LM and and Stephen Ross).

I personally only want F1 to be popular enough in the states to maintain the race that occurs in my backyard at COTA.  Otherwise I don't care at all whether or not Americans are into the sport.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I personally only want F1 to be popular enough in the states to maintain the race that occurs in my backyard at COTA.  Otherwise I don't care at all whether or not Americans are into the sport.

But before we get to that, let's turn to Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless to debate who is the better driver -- Max Verstappen or Lewis Hamilton. Gentlemen, we have 18 hours of airtime to fill... go.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

But before we get to that, let's turn to Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless to debate who is the better driver -- Max Verstappen or Lewis Hamilton. Gentlemen, we have 18 hours of airtime to fill... go.

kill me now

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Liberty pretty much ruined the Braves TV market/contract, so maybe they just don't know shit about media.

Yep, and it's obvious they know little to nothing about racing. It's apparent in the constant idiotic graphics they use to dumb down the broadcasts every race, among other things.

On 5/28/2023 at 4:38 PM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The lack of passing in this race is definitely a problem. But the chaos of the rain has made me interested. 

Seeing the cars up close it amazing how big they have gotten. There is no way they can “race” on this circuit. Too damned big.

We just got back to Germany from the beach, last night. I fly home Sunday. I have some pictures and videos also. I will put up some stuff when I get home, hopefully someone can allow me to upload a couple videos, just for the sound. They are not very long videos.

The sound at Monaco was amazing. I told Dirk if we go again that we are Big Pimpin’ and taking a helicopter from Nice. When we got back to the beach all the men in our group treated us like rock stars since we were at the race. It was funny.

elvis presley rockstar GIF

• Hook 'Em 4