Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

25 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i think they also don't want a bunch of team turnover.  jordan became midland became spyker (now that factory is racing as aston martin, but even that was a close thing with stroll needing a ride and daddy having money to just burn).  arrows became super aguri then sold off for a potential rebranding to brabham but collapsed entirely.  even toyota, with huge pockets because they haven't re-engineered a road car in 50 years, tried to money whip the sport, wasn't happy with results, didn't have a deep history of motor sport, and finally left for other pastures.  which then lead to the 2010 debacle with two teams not getting off the ground (stefan, which bought toyota's team, and US F1, which was kinda haas-affiliated) and two others that collapsed after a couple of seasons (manor/marrusia/virgin and HRT). 

GM has more motorsport chops than toyota did, at least, with nascar, indycar, and imsa. 

16 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep GM has loads of racing history between Cadillac, Holden, and Chevy.

Re: Manor, Marussia, Virgin, and HRT, some or all of those entered under the pretense that the teams sold them - that they'd be operating under a budget cap. So they joined, then the teams renegged. The writing was on the wall for them, and their clocks started ticking. The other thing is that these manufacturers come and go. Only Ferrari has never left F1. Renault, Honda, and Merc come and go. And like you said there's Toyota, BMW, Ford, Porsche, etc. The manufacturers are like politicians. As soon as it costs more than the benefit, they're out. The teams acting as if all of them have some kind of monolithic, permanent F1 status is silly.

My alltime favorite news article

Screenshot-20230113-162003.jpg

• Haha 3

Toyota’s management structure was god-awful. It’s no wonder they didn’t make any noise.

They had way too much red tape between the race team in Cologne and everything else in Japan.

At first, Honda had the same problems when they came back (and they aren’t even a chassis constructor), but they got it figured out.

Gazoo Racing (set up by Akio Toyoda) has been better, but was too late for the F1 effort.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, wood said:

Jennie Gow is a cool chick. Met her at COTA in the KXAN suite a couple of years ago...

Hits real close to home. Dad had a stroke,massive one, right in front of me less than a year ago. Thankfully, we were in the hospital anyways. Truly saved his life.

Went from the most brilliant man I've ever known, the reason I went into engineering, to a shell of that in minutes. Shit is no joke. Sympathies for anyone going through it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Well this should be interesting… and stupid IMO.

Two races will test a revised quali:
Tires must be used as follows -
Q1 - hard
Q2 - medium
Q3 - hard

My first reaction is that that will remove strategy and make things even less variable. Surely this was pushed through by the big teams.

Sean Kelly is a fucking asshat. I remember him talking all kinds of stupid shit about Austin when the Columbus MLS team was moving to Austin, parroting Bobby's fabricated bullshit MLS resistance group, etc.

I had a couple of epic twitter exchanges with him, debunking pretty much every piece of BS he was spouting off about. Dude's a POS, but hey, Columbus gonna Columbus.

Edited by wood

On 1/14/2023 at 7:58 PM, Goofyboy said:

Q1 - hard
Q2 - medium
Q3 - hard

You’re gonna have a bunch of guys doing multiple warm up laps to get the tyres up to temp in Q1 with all 20 cars on the grid. Sounds like a total shit show.

• Rage+1 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:58 PM, Goofyboy said:

Q1 - hard
Q2 - medium
Q3 - hard

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re gonna have a bunch of guys doing multiple warm up laps to get the tyres up to temp in Q1 with all 20 cars on the grid. Sounds like a total shit show.

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It will make finding an opening for your flying lap a whole lot tougher.

so option 1 would be 1 shot (or even 2 shots) and each person gets a clean lap. so you give people a huge reason to watch all of quali vs what i guarantee you is a huge ratings spike for the end of Quali when it's down to the final 10.

or you can do this dumb shit.

of course they pick the dumb thing vs the thing evens out quali somewhat, makes it more interesting (1 shot is way more interesting to me at least) and ensures you have your "best" drivers in getting to do their "best" lap.

• Hook 'Em 1

They could do Q1 kind of like Indycar does.

Cut Q1 down to 10 minutes but do it in two groups of 10. Maybe even force 1 car from each team in each of two Q1s. Maybe randomize which car in the team goes first each race.

Q1-A for 10 minutes, Q1-B for ten minutes. Send the second group out 30 seconds after the last car of group one is back in their garage.

The same number of cars advance to Q2, and it doesn't matter which Q1 group they come out of.

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

so option 1 would be 1 shot (or even 2 shots) and each person gets a clean lap. so you give people a huge reason to watch all of quali vs what i guarantee you is a huge ratings spike for the end of Quali when it's down to the final 10.

or you can do this dumb shit.

of course they pick the dumb thing vs the thing evens out quali somewhat, makes it more interesting (1 shot is way more interesting to me at least) and ensures you have your "best" drivers in getting to do their "best" lap.

It seems like they always do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, wood said:

Good to see. Williams has so few sponsors that they probably won't butcher that livery the way McLaren did.

Are you referring to the ‘22 mashup or the ‘21 Monaco?  Because I thought the ‘21 Monaco livery was sex and ‘22 looked like Dali designed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

They could do Q1 kind of like Indycar does.

Cut Q1 down to 10 minutes but do it in two groups of 10. Maybe even force 1 car from each team in each of two Q1s. Maybe randomize which car in the team goes first each race.

Q1-A for 10 minutes, Q1-B for ten minutes. Send the second group out 30 seconds after the last car of group one is back in their garage.

The same number of cars advance to Q2, and it doesn't matter which Q1 group they come out of.

Why? There's nothing wrong with how qualifying is now. 

It's just this constant need to always be changing shit and can't leave well enough alone. That why you get this goofy qualifying, sprint races, and 17-game NFL seasons.

Things work perfectly and busybodies can't help themselves.

1 hour ago, Duval Street said:

Are you referring to the ‘22 mashup or the ‘21 Monaco?  Because I thought the ‘21 Monaco livery was sex and ‘22 looked like Dali designed it.

'22.

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's just this constant need to always be changing shit and can't leave well enough alone. That why you get this goofy qualifying, sprint races, and 17-game NFL seasons.

Don't forget NASCAR's playoffs and esp stages.

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hamilton gives off strong Russel Wilson vibes to me. Here is is "out for a run" on an Antarctic cruise:

https://streamable.com/gb2pkn

Yep. Just a little jaunt in a 414' long ship with eight 2000+HP V12 diesel engines. The guys over at motorsport mayhem figured out how much CO2 those 12 passengers produced on the trip, lol.

With four jet skis, two RHIBs, a tender, the ‘Man of War II’ vessel, 10-person Pagoo submarine, and two six-seater helicopters, the toys themselves aboard the OCTOPUS yacht are enough to play substitute for the Thunderbirds – and that’s before you even step aboard.

OCTOPUS has an 850,0000-litre fuel tank (225,000 gallons) that can see a range of 8,000 NM – that’s New York City to Whenuapai, New Zealand as the crow flies. It’s also rumoured to have former Navy SEALs as crewmembers, which isn’t surprising considering the hardware onboard.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

i mean there are absolutely things "wrong" with quali now and it could be a better process if the goal is to reduce as much variation as possible.

the reason that you get things like sprint races, a 17 game NFL season, etc is all due to money. period.

they aren't messing with things just to mess with things. also, who cares that the NFL added an extra game? that's what you pick over F1 adding more races from 19/20 since 2010 to 23 in 2023? already have 21 races contracted in 2024 and that is without Spa and the Austrian Grand Prix or anything else they can think to add.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. Just a little jaunt in a 414' long ship with eight 2000+HP V12 diesel engines. The guys over at motorsport mayhem figured out how much CO2 those 12 passengers produced on the trip, lol.

Didn't know he was on Octopus down there.  That is one bad ass yacht, used to belong to Paul Allen.  $2.2 million a week (plus expenses) to charter it.

southwest asia
southwest asia
australia australia australia
southwest asia
north america
europe
europe
europe
north america
europe
europe
europe
europe
europe
europe
southeast asia
east asia
southwest asia
north america
north america
south america
north america
southwest asia

good job reducing that climate impact, boys. 

• Haha 3

One month between R3 and R4 and then back to back Baku -> Miami. A bit inefficient there...
Miami is in a damn parking lot - surely they don't need to shoehorn it in like that.

Because China got canceled. I thought they were looking for a replacement but I guess they never found one.

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

One month between R3 and R4 and then back to back Baku -> Miami. A bit inefficient there...

Miami is in a damn parking lot - surely they don't need to shoehorn it in like that.

Yeah having two month-long breaks... hmph.

The problem with the schedule in terms of efficiency, etc, is the same as it's always been. Certain races want certain weekends & have it locked in in their contracts. Montreal likes that spot in June. Mexico wants the Dio de Muertos or the last Sunday before it. Some pay extra for the first race or the last race. Monaco is (almost) always Memorial Day weekend, etc, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, wood said:

The problem with the schedule in terms of efficiency, etc, is the same as it's always been. Certain races want certain weekends & have it locked in in their contracts. Montreal likes that spot in June. Mexico wants the Dio de Muertos or the last Sunday before it. Some pay extra for the first race or the last race. Monaco is (almost) always Memorial Day weekend, etc, etc. 

that and they don’t actually want to be efficient. The race promoters don’t want two GPs that are close in proximity back to back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd be fine if everyone would just admit that Formula 1 isn't, and can never be, an environmentally sensitive sport, and we can all move on with our lives and stop talking about it.

The sport is growing nationally and internationally, and it's obvious huge number of people don't really care, regardless of what they may say publicly or in opinion polls.  There are specific demographics that have a problem with it and won't ever be fans, just as there are specific demographics that don't like violence and will never be fans of football or boxing or MMA.

Whatever damage F1 does to the world, is miniscule next to the 1.5 billion cars that exist on the planet and have nothing to do with auto racing, plus all of the industrial pollution on top of that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Whatever damage F1 does to the world, is miniscule next to the 1.5 billion cars that exist on the planet and have nothing to do with auto racing, plus all of the industrial pollution on top of that.

Agree with everything you said. The lip service to climate impact from F1 is dumb, but if they really cared, they would focus their talk on things like biofuels and how developments through F1 research make a way bigger global impact than the travel of the F1 teams every year. The entire conversation (from F1 and the fans claiming to be worried about it) is really fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

that and they don’t actually want to be efficient. The race promoters don’t want two GPs that are close in proximity back to back. 

Yep. Absolutely. All the talk about streamlining the schedule and making it more logistically palatable, greener, cheaper, etc was just lip service. Predictably.

• Like 1