2022 Heisman

Helobious

14 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This award lost all meaning in 2005.

Lost all meaning in 1956 when Paul Hornung won after leading Notre Dame to a 2-8 record.

The Heisman Committee never gets any real backlash because they can always spin it as "how dare you hate on this amazing student-athlete we chose" but they've been making terrible choices for a very long time now.

• Hook 'Em 2

For some reason I thought the ceremony was longer than one hour…it’s really paired down (?) 

I hate this award since VY. JFF sitting next to Carson Palmer and the look on Carson’s face is hilarious.

Duggan won’t win it but it’s cool they acknowledge a QB doing what he’s done this year…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I wish that I cared about this award…..this year.  When your man gets left out….it just doesn’t matter.

They usually do a good job with the candidate packages. I can literally turn it off before they announce and not care. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, satyanash said:

Lost all meaning in 1956 when Paul Hornung won after leading Notre Dame to a 2-8 record.

The Heisman Committee never gets any real backlash because they can always spin it as "how dare you hate on this amazing student-athlete we chose" but they've been making terrible choices for a very long time now.

Paul Hornung was an amazing player and a NFL hall of famer. The fact his team sucked shouldn't matter. The fact the award is so tied to how well your team did is what is wrong with the award IMO. If the best player plays for a 2 win team well he should win anyway.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Paul Hornung was an amazing player and a NFL hall of famer. The fact his team sucked shouldn't matter. The fact the award is so tied to how well your team did is what is wrong with the award IMO. If the best player plays for a 2 win team well he should win anyway.

Hornung was not the best player in CFB. Jim Brown was, by an astronomical margin. Hornung won because his jersey said Notre Dame, end of story. He took a Notre Dame juggernaut that had lost just three games in the last two seasons, and led them to a dismal 2-8 record as team captain. Once he left, Notre Dame went back to a 7-3 record. Oklahoma pounded ND 40-0 with him as team leader, and lost to them the next year once he left. He just ran up empty numbers while his team kept losing, while people ooh-ed and aah-ed at him playing multiple positions. Newsflash; it was the 1950s, many players played multiple positions.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The Heisman isn’t for the best player.  It is for the most valuable player (according to its rules).  Giving it to a player on a two win team doesn’t make a lot of sense.  

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Hornung threw for 917 yards, 3 TDs, and 13 INTs while running for 420 yards and six scores.

Jim Brown ran for 986 yards and 13 TDs, had 56 receiving yards and a TD, and threw for 76 yards and a TD with just two fumbles on the year.

Jim Brown and Johnny Majors were unanimous All-Americans. Hornung wasn't an All-American at all.

It should never have been close.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Did Caleb's mom really say his best quality is his humbleness?! What the fuck? 

She’s probably not wrong.  He seems like a shitty person all around.  He’s not humble at all but in comparison to his other qualities that could be his best I guess.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2022 at 1:48 AM, satyanash said:

Lmao at inviting a QB who threw for 20 TDs and 6 INTs to NY. Those numbers wouldn't win you a Heisman in the '90s, much less today.

The award is a circle jerk of mediocrity. 

The fact that Kunt Bowles and (I think) FCB vote...tells me all I need to know.

Hook'em 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hornung threw for 917 yards, 3 TDs, and 13 INTs while running for 420 yards and six scores.

Jim Brown ran for 986 yards and 13 TDs, had 56 receiving yards and a TD, and threw for 76 yards and a TD with just two fumbles on the year.

Jim Brown and Johnny Majors were unanimous All-Americans. Hornung wasn't an All-American at all.

It should never have been close.

You can just say that Jim Brown was black

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You can just say that Jim Brown was is black

6 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Sooner Nation in shambles right now  can still appreciate great QB play

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

I think Billy Simms is crying he doesn’t get to yell boomer sooner  STILL yelled BOOMER

On 12/5/2022 at 8:52 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Jason White sucks

Over Larry Fitzgerald. I completely stopped caring after that.

I hated it when Hugh Green did not win. Hell, Aaron Donald should have won it. The QB & RB On The Best Teams fascination is crap.

And this show is shittastic TV at its worst. It’s horrible. Just let us get to the Lopez fight.

I was friends with Johnny Majors and we did talk about the Heisman a few times. I remember him laughing with that Curious George grin of his when we talked about Hornung winning over Jim Brown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

That’s such crap. They should just rename the award. John Heisman would probably approve of taking his name off such a manufactured award.

Just name it the ESPN College Football Hype Award.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:52 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Jason White sucks

One of the worst Heisman trophy winners ever. White was a system QB who put up inflated stats buoyed by all the insane talent around him. When he finally faced pressure in the important games, he wilted then collapsed in embarrassing fashion. Zero touchdowns and four INTs in the two games that mattered. He wasn't even the best QB in the Big 12, much less the best player in the country. Only won because of the sob story surrounding his knee surgeries.

The worst part is, people were hyping him up as a repeat Heisman winner the very next year (he finished second to Leinart despite Adrian Peterson doing all the work in that offense), ignoring his proven tendency to collapse in the big games. And of course, he proceeded to collapse again in the Orange Bowl against USC in a humiliating 55-19 blowout.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That’s such crap. They should just rename the award. John Heisman would probably approve of taking his name off such a manufactured award.

Just name it the ESPN College Football Hype Award.

What upsets me about Stetson Bennett being there really isn't so much who should have been there, its that those who run the show know so little about their product. They're fucking ignorant. I didn't bother to watch, haven't in years.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 7:31 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Bijan should be in Stetson’s place. Or someone should 

Stetson fits the criteria perfectly.  One of the top QBs on one of the top 10, preferably top 5 teams.  Remember when RBs used to be strongly considered?

As the former Sooner noted, he was the only one there not going to the playoff.  And Williams probably got most of his votes before he got smashed into the turf with USCe's playoff hopes.

Interesting that the Davey O'Brien for best QB picked Duggan over Stroud and Williams.  The Maxwell for best player picked Williams over Stroud and Hooker.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:36 PM, HRSchenker said:

I'm really surprised his fingernail shtick isn't being made out to be a bigger deal. If Tim Tebow was doing "Fuck Alabama" on his eye black it would be national news on ESPN for months. But I guess Tebow had an image to protect while Caleb is fine being viewed as a piece of shit 

Caleb's a Sooner.. Its what you expect.  And then when they lose, they cry.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dewey said:

What upsets me about Stetson Bennett being there really isn't so much who should have been there, its that those who run the show know so little about their product. They're fucking ignorant. I didn't bother to watch, haven't in years.  

You're not exactly in the minority. the last two Heismans have had less than 2 million viewers. It continues to exist for some reason, but I dont think anyone really gives a fuck who wins it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Glad to see Caleb won it. I know it was just 4 QBs but of them he was easily the best player this season. 

For whatever reason (perhaps because of NFL success), Lincoln Riley's QBs have always dodged the 'system QB' label. But it still applies. Riley's offense borrows heavily from the Air Raid and consistently enables its QBs to put up inflated numbers.

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

For whatever reason (perhaps because of NFL success), Lincoln Riley's QBs have always dodged the 'system QB' label. But it still applies. Riley's offense borrows heavily from the Air Raid and consistently enables its QBs to put up inflated numbers.

I'm not really talking about the stats they put up. He's obviously better than Duggan and Bennet. I think he would have been better than Stroud at tOSU. The only guy that I think was on the same level was probably Bryce but he wasn't a finalist.