#2 Texas vs #17 Illinois 6pm on ESPN - Game Day!

KingBobo81

One of the more underrated victories in Rick Barnes early tenure was that 2000 Illinois game right before Christmas.  They were a Top 5 team who would eventually win the Big 10 (when MSU and IUB were really fucking good) and get to the Elite 8.  I was back home in Chicago watching it at an Illini bar but wearing Burnt Orange.  Despite the day before Christmas Eve, the Drum was packed and loud as shit on TV.  People looked at me like, "Didn't realize you guys even had basketball in Texas."  

Well, more of the same tonight.  We're gonna beat the shit out of Illinois.  This team isn't gonna fade mid-season like recent years.  

Texas 82, Illinois 70.  'Cause fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 3

Last real test before conference play begins. They have a third Big12 transfer from Baylor, Dain Dainja, who is a load down low. Fat boy with soft hands. He’s their second leading scorer but 7th in terms of minutes per game. I think we keep the tempo high and run his fat ass off the floor. Texas covers.

Edited by CheesePie

If anybody in NYC wants a free ticket, hit me up - my group’s extra is not getting any interest on stubhub so I’d rather just give it to a horn.

I’m in the city and going. Sorry I couldn’t take you up on your generous offer but I needed two.
I’ll try and look you and your buddies up.

Two things I like is that Illinois turns the ball over and they foul a bunch. They're rated even higher than Texas at fouls per game. 

They're taller, but not tremendously so. They don't have a dangerous post player the way Gonzaga and Creighton did. They only have one returner playing a significant role, 6'10 Hawkins.

I feel like this is UT's to lose, which befits the #2 team in the country. I believe the on the ball pressure and off the ball pressure is going to get to the Illini. I feel confident in UT's transition defense. I think the free throw shooting will be pretty even, and most likely in favor of the Longhorns.

Illinois could always get hot from the 3 point line, but aside from them shooting a lot better than Texas from 3, I don't see them winning, to be honest.

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This feels like a bigger game than Creighton. Win and you're rolling into conference play undefeated 

Creighton's starting 5 is way better. They just have no bench whatsoever. Don't know what happened against Nebraska. That shouldn't have occurred. Embarrassing loss for them, frankly. It doesn't change how I think about Creighton's players, but it does change how low I think their floor is. 

I wish we had a true road test before we start conference play, I guess this neutral site will be as close as we get to one.

Yep, a little concerning. Gonna have to cross that bridge when it comes. But most of this group knows what conference road games are about!
Those home non-conf wins against ranked opponents still look good on a resume when seeding time comes around though!

BTW, Terrance Shannon is sporting 4 stitches above his right eyebrow from a collision with a Maryland player in their last game. It was pretty messy in the moment, but turns out no big deal.

Maybe give him an elbow and open it up again like in a boxing match. 

Haha. No no no. That wouldn't be right. Not rooting for that of course. No way. Brock, don't read this. 

• Haha 1