Screwed Up Shoulder

statsman

I’m an old guy (59). For the last six months, I’ve had a sharp pain in my shoulder when I extend my arm and try to lift or reach awkwardly. It’s fine when I lift something and keep my arm close to my core. 

Any reason to not just go straight to an orthopedic doctor? Any reason to see a general practitioner first?

Anyone got a Rex for an orthopedic in the DFW mid-cities (Arlington, Mansfield, Hurst, Bedford, Euless)?

yeah, go to a cutter and get an mri/xray

- i had a bone spur once and did surgery to file it down and they also tried to abrade some arthritis off the joint.  worked ok, but i have gone back to get cortisone shots when some inflammation would not go away

i have always gone to the Carrell Clinic in Dallas

• Like 1

10 hours ago, statsman said:

I’m an old guy (59). For the last six months, I’ve had a sharp pain in my shoulder when I extend my arm and try to lift or reach awkwardly. It’s fine when I lift something and keep my arm close to my core. 

Any reason to not just go straight to an orthopedic doctor? Any reason to see a general practitioner first?

Anyone got a Rex for an orthopedic in the DFW mid-cities (Arlington, Mansfield, Hurst, Bedford, Euless)?

What kind of insurance do you have?   If it's HMO, you're heading to the GP for a referral.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:17 AM, statsman said:

https://www.carrellclinic.com/doctors/dr-todd-moen

They are the best in DFW, many of the docs have worked for the pro sports teams.  I saw Kristaps Porzingis (sp?) from the Mavs there when I was following up after rotator cuff.  

And as mentioned, get ready for some painful PT. 

Fuck PT. For years I was in agony with shoulder pain. Couldn't lift my right arm without wincing. Fondren Orthopedic in Houston kept telling me that PT was my only option, but it didn't help one bit. When I moved to the Metroplex a friend sent me over to the Carrell Clinic. After an exam and MRI, Dr. Burkhead asked me when I wanted to schedule surgery. I had my rotator cuff repaired, a bicep tendon reattached, and my AC joint cleaned out. He said my AC joint appeared as if a hand grenade had gone off in it. No amount of PT was going to fix that. Ridiculous. Recovery from shoulder surgery was grueling. I'm on my third ACL and I'd have three more before I had shoulder surgery again. But, I've been pain free ever since I recovered and I thank Dr. Burkhead every time I reach for my seatbelt or toss a football without any pain.

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Fuck PT. For years I was in agony with shoulder pain. Couldn't lift my right arm without wincing. Fondren Orthopedic in Houston kept telling me that PT was my only option, but it didn't help one bit. When I moved to the Metroplex a friend sent me over to the Carrell Clinic. After an exam and MRI, Dr. Burkhead asked me when I wanted to schedule surgery. I had my rotator cuff repaired, a bicep tendon reattached, and my AC joint cleaned out. He said my AC joint appeared as if a hand grenade had gone off in it. No amount of PT was going to fix that. Ridiculous. Recovery from shoulder surgery was grueling. I'm on my third ACL and I'd have three more before I had shoulder surgery again. But, I've been pain free ever since I recovered and I thank Dr. Burkhead every time I reach for my seatbelt or toss a football without any pain.

Yeah, he's supposed to be the man.

His kid was a pretty good RB at Corn when they were still decent.

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Welcome to my world. Torn rotator cuff, right arm. Using VA and luckily they are sending me to private practice. I have an appointment to make an appointment.

I thought I had a torn rotator cuff, did X-Rays and MRI and turned out to be a Labrum (sp?), which if caught early enough, is much better. Still sucks.

I have slight tears of rotator cuff, labrum, and bicep tendon. That pretty much covers it all so OP has one of those. You’ll learn to not reach and lift things and never throw something hard. PT didn’t help me and I never went for surgery. Things have been pretty good for a couple of years though. Forget it was an issue most of the time, but never throw a ball. Can still lift light weights if I keep things tight.

Saw Dr Adams this morning and I like him. Thinks my rotator cuff is torn, but not that bad. Gave me my options and his opinion, which was go slow and don't rush surgery. It's mostly bursitis and he gave me a shot of steroids. Said it might take a couple days to work, but I feel better already. Going back in 6 weeks to follow up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 1:55 PM, RPM said:

Saw Dr Adams this morning and I like him. Thinks my rotator cuff is torn, but not that bad. Gave me my options and his opinion, which was go slow and don't rush surgery. It's mostly bursitis and he gave me a shot of steroids. Said it might take a couple days to work, but I feel better already. Going back in 6 weeks to follow up.

In my experience the steroid injection works for 2 days rather than takes 2 days to work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2023 at 1:18 PM, PantsTent said:

In my experience the steroid injection works for 2 days rather than takes 2 days to work. 

most cortisone shots are preceded by a lidocaine shot, which is pretty awesome and makes your shoulder feel bulletproof for the rest of the day.

I have had good luck with cort shots relieving pain that simply was not going away in my knee (torn meniscus) and shoulder (arthritis).   Had a buddy i play bball with who gets the gel shots in his knee.  Said his doc told him the gel was better long term than a cort shot for the joint if you were going to be getting either on the reg for years.

15 hours ago, RPM said:

The shot was good for about 3 days and it was right back to square 1. Looks like I might have to try Plan B.

More painful than child birth, confirmed by my wife’s OB who has done both. Hope that helps. 

as mentioned I went to 60 PT sessions, the first 20ish will bring a tear to your eyes at times. I’m good now but it’s human nature for you to think about it daily.