2022 FAFO of the Year Award

TrashMaster G

• TrashMaster G changed the title to 2022 FAFO of the Year Award

Sadly in our country, the "Find Out" part can take a long while after the "Fuck Around" part.  

I'd say you have to put Alex Jones up near the top of the list, although what he did was a long time ago.  But who could have possibly predicted creating a nationally broadcasted show rooted in the messaging that the parents of murdered small children were crisis actors, could eventually lead to a few people being somewhat upset with you?  He's in a shitload of legal and financial trouble.  But none of that compares to what's going to happen to him soon.  A man with that kind of burden may be driven to suicide.  Or so it will look like to the police.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Years ago, I was visiting family in Chicago for the holidays on college break '94.  We were out a pizza joint having beers and a pie.  When the bartender told everybody to shut the fuck up and turned the TV to full volume.  What I didn't know at the time was the owner of the place had a relative (nephew or cousin IIRC) that was a victim of his.  But the game cut out to a news reporter from a tri-state affiliate to announce that Jeffrey Dahmer had been killed in prison.  And the bar erupted in applause and high-fives as some of his many victims were from the area.  And we drank the rest of the night on the house.  I don't remember the announcements of many high-profile deaths, I guess we tune them out as a species because of evolution.  But I remember that swell of cheering, never saw anything like that again.  

And now in middle-age, I walk around with a mental list of people like Putin and many others whose death I will great with the same fervor and revelry of that midwest pizza joint almost 30 years ago. 

After Pol Pot died, my father calmly explained to me that we sometimes awkwardly celebrate the deaths of tyrants and confidence men.  And it feels, at once, both cathartic and troubling, because we aren't celebrating the passing of a bad person.  We're celebrating because we are awash of the knowledge of our guilt, that we enabled them in the first place.  And when the person dies, so does the guilt, so we are born anew.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Years ago, I was visiting family in Chicago for the holidays on college break '94.  We were out a pizza joint having beers and a pie.  When the bartender told everybody to shut the fuck up and turned the TV to full volume.  What I didn't know at the time was the owner of the place had a relative (nephew or cousin IIRC) that was a victim of his.  But the game cut out to a news reporter from a tri-state affiliate to announce that Jeffrey Dahmer had been killed in prison.  And the bar erupted in applause and high-fives as some of his many victims were from the area.  And we drank the rest of the night on the house.  I don't remember the announcements of many high-profile deaths, I guess we tune them out as a species because of evolution.  But I remember that swell of cheering, never saw anything like that again.  

And now in middle-age, I walk around with a mental list of people like Putin and many others whose death I will great with the same fervor and revelry of that midwest pizza joint almost 30 years ago. 

After Pol Pot died, my father calmly explained to me that we sometimes awkwardly celebrate the deaths of tyrants and confidence men.  And it feels, at once, both cathartic and troubling, because we aren't celebrating the passing of a bad person.  We're celebrating because we are awash of the knowledge of our guilt, that we enabled them in the first place.  And when the person dies, so does the guilt, so we are born anew.  

I had a drink when Bin Laden was offed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

I had a drink when Bin Laden was offed.

As I recall it was a Sunday or Monday night, way too early in the week for even drunken Lobo to start boozing.  But we had both nodded off after watching one of our appointment television shows on HBO or AMC or some shit.  And I was half asleep when I saw the announcement, woke my wife up on the couch to watch a spot of news, then we both conked out again.  I think the manhunt for him went on for so fucking long, that it was kinda anti-climactic when it finally happened.  Not to take away from the heroism and determination of so many within our intelligence and military communities.  But after 10 dogmatic years, you could have told me he wasn't dead but instead had a sex change and was starring in Riyadh dinner theater under an assumed name and I woulda been like, "Yeah, that checks out.  Let's move on..."  

But to my previous point, the evil shitheads we enable...those are the ones who have an especially delicious taste to their deaths.  Because we not only rid ourselves of them, but we get to pretend we had nothing to do with their ruse in the first place.  Bin Laden was this asshole a world away who brought death to our doors.  But if it wasn't him, it'd be somebody just like him.  It's the people we voluntarily put into power that require a special "toast"  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

He fucked around. His people found out. Maybe 2023 will be the year he finds out.

Agree, Putin hasn't fully found out yet.

Disagree on Britney Griner. She is just a political pawn unjustly sent to prison through no immediate fault of her own. Her FA wasn't big enough and the FO was too big.

I vote for the Yankees and Philly fans wanting Houston.

• Hook 'Em 5

43 minutes ago, Viper said:

Disagree on Britney Griner. She is just a political pawn unjustly sent to prison through no immediate fault of her own. Her FA wasn't big enough and the FO was too big.

She was a high (enough) profile person to make an example. 

She fucked up, and is facing the music. It’s their country, their laws. Like it or not.

It’s her own fault she’s a dumb bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Brittney Griner got fucked. But she probably should have known better than to play basketball in Russia right when Russia was outwardly announcing they were about to invade a Western-ish ally. Also not smart to smuggle illegal substances into a foreign country. It's like she never watched the 1999 film Brokedown Palace starring high school crush Clare Danes and current old-man crush Kate Beckensale. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

I could not disagree more.  Anyone who travels to Russia, particularly an American, in this day and age is simply inviting a world of shit if they step outside the lines in any way. A high-profile person should be hyper-aware of that fact.

she'd been doing it for years being paid millions. she probably should have known better but also like I said, the FO was outsized for the FA

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

That and she had illegal drugs with her.

Weed? we're judging her for smoking weed in 2022? and then thinking getting thrown in a Russian prison for it is justified?

46 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Brittney Griner got fucked. But she probably should have known better than to play basketball in Russia right when Russia was outwardly announcing they were about to invade a Western-ish ally. Also not smart to smuggle illegal substances into a foreign country. It's like she never watched the 1999 film Brokedown Palace starring high school crush Clare Danes and current old-man crush Kate Beckensale. 

The thing is she'd been playing and bringing in drugs for years and Russia never had a problem with it. She's only in this situation because Putin is a shithead. She made a mistake in not recognizing the changing political winds in Russia, she didn't FA.

• Hook 'Em 4

I've always been to scared to travel to Russia. Too corrupt, too beauracratic, to anti-west. They are just itching to fuck with you. You smuggle in weed right before a war breaks out? WTF?

She fucked around by even going given the political climate, let alone while holding.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

We're judging her for breaking the law in a despotic country.  Right or wrong, marijuana is illegal in Russia.

I wouldn’t go through TSA at Austin Bergstrom airport with marijuana.  Why?  Because it’s illegal and those are federal agents that are going to search you thoroughly.  If they find contraband they might throw your ass in jail.

Griner decided to try that move in Russia, during a war or a run up to a war.  I assume in Russia they use their equivalent of federal agents to search people for contraband.  Apparently there Hash oil is contraband.  I call that fucking around.

I haven’t spoken with her but I suspect she is finding out.

24 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

And what, exactly, did Japan find out this past year?

81 years of finding out, Sir.

Might be more a of a lifetime achievement award.

Edited by slorch