Tailgate

Early reviews are pretty strong. Looks like James Cameron pulled it off again:

‘Avatar 2’ Stuns Press in Rave First Reactions: ‘Visual Masterpiece,‘ ‘Mind-Blowing,’ ’Never Doubt’ James Cameron

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-2-first-reactions-james-cameron-masterpiece-1235451389/

Just grabbed some tickets for the holiday. Opens on the 15th.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm sure it will make all the money, but the first one was garbage.  You are paying money to look at pretty colors, and watch a terrible story.

The funny thing is that my brother loved it when it was called Dances With Wolves. But he hated Avatar going into it. I wasn’t sure why until I heard them use the phrase “shock & awe.” Then I got it. 

I'll check it out just based off the world Cameron created in the first film. Pandora is a cool location and has badass inhabitants with interesting flora and fauna. The original movie reminds me of Pocahontas, if that story was about Alien Cat people. It could very well suck and be just like other sequels with terrible dialogue a loose story and shitty production, but Cameron's track records suggests, at the very least, it will be visually stunning to watch. Worth it, imo. 

I guess it depends on why you go see a movie. Visually stunning movies are great, and if it has a decent story that's just gravy. Marvel shits out some dumb secondary character storyline nobody asks for, but people still go see it. Why? It's entertaining to them. There are a lot of movies I will still watch, knowing full well that it isn't/wasn't the best version that could've been produced. Thor movies come to mind. The first two Thor movies were...something, Thor: Ragnrok had a great story and stopped taking itself so serious which made it a great movie to see and still watch today. The last Thor movie, Thor: Love and Thunder, sucked donkey balls and was nothing but a money grab to profit off of Ragnarok. 4 movies, one watchable over and over, and three I'll never see again. 

This new Avatar could be the same, but I'll still go see it in the theatre just like the first movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, bluto said:

The fact the trailer ad makes big mention of ‘see it in 3D’ doesn’t bode well, 2014 wants its gimmick back

I think you’re right with just about any other director but this is Cameron’s wheelhouse.  if he wants to spend a billion dollars to tell us to see something in 3D I’m going to see it in 3D.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The difference in James Cameron's 3d and most of the other trash out there is his 3d technology is part of the filming process, where as 90% of the 3d crap that came out in the past 20 years is done post production.

Avatar is the only movie I've seen in 3d that was worth the ticket. I'll go see this with the kids and probably enjoy it simply due to the immersive nature of the experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/7/2022 at 1:53 PM, Buzzrock said:

Visually stunning is table stakes now, and is not nearly enough to make a movie good much less “great”. See: the most recent Jurassic Park. And the one before it.

I see your point, but will say that this will only be the 2nd film in the series (if it even is a series) and that Jurassic Park shitbox is just another money grab marketing ploy to separate morons from their money. It might be enjoyable to some in the theatre, but I'd only watch if it happened to be on TV. I enjoyed the first 3 movies in that series, but it's a shell of its former self, imo.

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

The difference in James Cameron's 3d and most of the other trash out there is his 3d technology is part of the filming process, where as 90% of the 3d crap that came out in the past 20 years is done post production.

Avatar is the only movie I've seen in 3d that was worth the ticket. I'll go see this with the kids and probably enjoy it simply due to the immersive nature of the experience.

The reason I'll see this movie in the theatre is Cameron makes a visually appealing film and I've never seen a movie of his and felt cheated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2022 at 10:30 AM, MoJames said:

Advanced 3D cameras don’t really help when it’s mostly CGI though right?

A1 was visually stunning but it wasn’t a very good movie. The characters were mostly one-dimensional and the story was pretty basic. Weaver was a bright spot. Sam Worthington must have had a helluva agent to land the big roles he did during his fifteen minutes of fame. It’s not particularly rewatchable compared to other CGI spectacles like JP1 or the LOTR trilogy, or even recent films like Blade Runner 2049 and Dune. 

All in one idiot’s opinion of course. And if this turns out to be great then great, I’ll see it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I believe production on 3 is mostly, if not all the way, in the can. It's mainly post-production remaining so it will be released for sure.  4 and 5 are in only in pre-production and are more speculative at this point based on the performance of 2 and 3, and Cameron has admitted he might not direct them. If that's the case they probably wouldn't happen IMO.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t get that from that article. Sounds like the CGI and practical are separate processes, which would make sense.

What is noteworthy from TFA is that he is making FIVE Avatar films. At this pace I’ll be lucky to see the next one.

Here's one from Popular Mechanics after the first film.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/movies/a5067/4339455/

Edited by MoJames

I believe production on 3 is mostly, if not all the way, in the can. It's mainly post-production remaining so it will be released for sure.  4 and 5 are in only in pre-production and are more speculative at this point based on the performance of 2 and 3, and Cameron has admitted he might not direct them. If that's the case they probably wouldn't happen IMO.

I will be shocked if this makes enough money to convince them that we need more of them. I don’t know a single person, adult or kid, that is interested in seeing this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I will be shocked if this makes enough money to convince them that we need more of them. I don’t know a single person, adult or kid, that is interested in seeing this.

We are going Friday but only because we have the Alamo Season Pass and like to get our money’s worth. Plus, Alamo sent out some really good food coupons, maybe as an incentive to go out and see this shitshow.

I don’t know what the actual plot of the movie is. I don’t claim to have looked into it. Nonetheless, the previews look like a continuation from the first piece of overhyped shit - Whitey the Testosterone Infected Human shows up to a peaceful virgin planet and immediately begins destroying it because we are the worst fucking organisms in the universe. Only this time, Whitey really fucking means it, motherfuckers. And … there’s a lot of beautiful scenery and sensitive, sympathetic, virtuous natives.  If that isn’t the story, you could have fooled me.

Also, I let my kids watch Avatar this summer and joined them. It is an absolute piece of shit of a movie that holds up as well as 1970’s wallpaper. Fuck it and fuck this one until I have to buy it for my kids on streaming. 

Also also, the ride at Disney World is awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know what the actual plot of the movie is. I don’t claim to have looked into it. Nonetheless, the previews look like a continuation from the first piece of overhyped shit - Whitey the Testosterone Infected Human shows up to a peaceful virgin planet and immediately begins destroying it because we are the worst fucking organisms in the universe. Only this time, Whitey really fucking means it, motherfuckers. And … there’s a lot of beautiful scenery and sensitive, sympathetic, virtuous natives.  If that isn’t the story, you could have fooled me.

Also, I let my kids watch Avatar this summer and joined them. It is an absolute piece of shit of a movie that holds up as well as 1970’s wallpaper. Fuck it and fuck this one until I have to buy it for my kids on streaming. 

I groaned when I heard they were mining for something called "Unobtanium" in the first one and kept groaning for the next 3 hours. There's not a chance in the world I see this second installment. I'll watch Terminator 2 instead.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/12/2022 at 11:36 AM, Buzzrock said:

Advanced 3D cameras don’t really help when it’s mostly CGI though right?

A1 was visually stunning but it wasn’t a very good movie. The characters were mostly one-dimensional and the story was pretty basic. Weaver was a bright spot. Sam Worthington must have had a helluva agent to land the big roles he did during his fifteen minutes of fame. It’s not particularly rewatchable compared to other CGI spectacles like JP1 or the LOTR trilogy, or even recent films like Blade Runner 2049 and Dune. 

All in one idiot’s opinion of course. And if this turns out to be great then great, I’ll see it. 

On 12/13/2022 at 8:46 PM, closetojumping said:

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can’t imagine the scenario in which I’d actually go to a movie theater to see this, hell, even stream it. Maybe if a group of 24 style bad people kidnapped my family, and demanded I watch the movie or something bad would happen to them, but even then I might be, “Which family members?”

Edited by Vito Andolini