Prime Rib Christmas (Let's talk)

DallasSooner

I do one every year, and seems every year I do something a little different.  Anyone got some tips and tricks.  I usually do about 7 lbs or so. 

*Also brother doesn't like it smoked so gotta cook it in the oven.  I'd like to smoke one sometime. 

Edited by DallasSooner
  • Hook 'Em 3

I usually do a salt/pepper/garlic crust, making a wet rub with olive oil.  More pepper than you might ordinarily do, at least equal parts to the salt.  Maybe add some fresh rosemary if you're inclined.  Cook low and slow (maybe 250 F) until the middle is rare or maybe a little beyond, then crank the oven and crust it up.  It will happen quickly, and that heat won't penetrate the bulk of the roast.

Horseradish cream sauce is a must.  This is mine, I probably ripped it off years ago and slowly doctored it over time:

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup grated prepared horseradish

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I usually do a salt/pepper/garlic crust, making a wet rub with olive oil.  More pepper than you might ordinarily do, at least equal parts to the salt.  Maybe add some fresh rosemary if you're inclined.  Cook low and slow (maybe 250 F) until the middle is rare or maybe a little beyond, then crank the oven and crust it up.  It will happen quickly, and that heat won't penetrate the bulk of the roast.

Horseradish cream sauce is a must.  This is mine, I probably ripped it off years ago and slowly doctored it over time:

1 cup sour cream

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Pretty much what i would recommend unless I smoke it first.   Too bad your brother doesn’t like it smoked.  Who doesn’t like smoked meat?

image.thumb.jpeg.0fcca3b27d59580f083f47cd93a5554f.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.185462b358d2b357dc332a4a3da9a0b1.jpeg

Date on the pix was 2006.  I did it in the oven, as your brother prefers 😎.  But, I’ll have to look for the recipe (if I even have it).

It was cooked in the days before I owned a probe thermometer and hoped the oven was calibrated correctly.  That said, I don’t cook anything, in the oven or smoker, these days without a probe thermometer verified by my Thermapen instant read along the way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

Being primarily a lurker, I couldn’t resist chiming in here to say your brother sounds like he sucks. I smoke a prime rib each and every Christmas and it’s the highlight of my BBQ year. Every year.  I would probably kick anyone out of my house that says they don’t like it smoked but that’s just me. They can enjoy their Christmas elsewhere.

Spoiler

A98258F8-C2FD-45A3-974E-046298D1F5FE.thumb.jpeg.bb14d2a9b7ac72a854f5ef98ad2c01e9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

We always do the 500°, times 5 minutes per pound at room temp roast. At the end of the cook time, turn off oven and wait 2 hours, don’t open the door! At the end of the 2 hours it’s ready to slice. It’s a perfect medium rare every fkn time. We just coat the roast with butter, heavy salt and pepper, maybe some rosemary and cook it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

We always do the 500°, times 5 minutes per pound at room temp roast. At the end of the cook time, turn off oven and wait 2 hours, don’t open the door! At the end of the 2 hours it’s ready to slice. It’s a perfect medium rare every fkn time. We just coat the roast with butter, heavy salt and pepper, maybe some rosemary and cook it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak#toc-myth-1-you-should-let-a-thick-steak-rest-at-room-temperature-before-you-cook-it

To test this, I pulled a single 15-ounce New York strip steak out of the refrigerator, cut it in half, placed half back in the fridge, and the other half on a ceramic plate on the counter. The steak started at 38°F and the ambient air in my kitchen was at 70°F. I then took temperature readings of its core every ten minutes.

After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge.

• Hook 'Em 1

The best prime rib I’ve ever had in a restaurant is at 801 in Des Moines. A big slab of corn fed usda prime beef.

The traditional way is fucking great. But they also serve it blackened. A big slice of prime rib, then seasoned and blackened to medium rare perfection, with the greatness of prime rib with additional Maillard effect like a steak. It’s a great way to go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, RMac5 said:

17 hours ago, elfenix said:

I do the same, but I know the rib roast ain’t getting to room temp, so I let it sit for an hour or so on the counter while I prep the goodies.  

-pat the roast dry before refrigerating it the night before 

-I coat it lightly with olive oil, then generously with salt and pepper

-while the roast is sitting on the counter, so is 1 lb of unsalted butter.  
-when the butter softens, I take a mixer and whip the butter with fresh minced garlic (about 15 cloves), rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper.  

-coat the entire roast with the butter compound, and place on roast rack

-I add about 1/2 a container, sometimes a full container of low salt beef stock to the bottom of the roast pan, as the butter, blood, stock and oil will make its own au jus.   

then I follow the directions on the hot cook, no open oven method

EDIT: Sorry about the pics.  They were from 2 years ago at Christmas.  I forgot that I had let that one sit overnight in the fridge with the butter compound.  

12827AB2-1753-4BAF-8740-D0AD27283187.jpeg

A655C7FD-4B8C-46C0-9328-1BFB724BB944.jpeg

2BD8233F-9CCE-421A-9AE7-CCD298C6C106.jpeg

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

I bought a 4 bone natural prime rib roast from Creekstone for NYE.  It was pricey, but I'm gonna celebrate my terrible fucking boss retiring at the end of the year in style.  I am going to smoke it.  I am also going to drink a lot of whiskey, so hopefully it turns out well.

• Hook 'Em 4

The best prime rib I’ve ever had in a restaurant is at 801 in Des Moines. A big slab of corn fed usda prime beef.

The traditional way is fucking great. But they also serve it blackened. A big slice of prime rib, then seasoned and blackened to medium rare perfection, with the greatness of prime rib with additional Maillard effect like a steak. It’s a great way to go.

Have you ever heard of a ribeye?
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

My recipe is easy. Season the prime rib, throw it in a turkey bag and sous vide at 129 degrees for a few days. Pull it out, keep the fat drippings for your au jus. Cold smoke it for 2-3 hours. Completely fool proof.

CHIEF

A few days? Why so long?

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A few days? Why so long?

I never understood this aspect of sous vide.  I mean, once it hits the temperature of the water, what is the benefit?  What is the risk?  Yeah, let's hold a piece of meat at sub-140 F temperature for 2 days and hope it all works out.  Maybe the risk is low, depending on how well it's vacuum sealed, but it isn't zero and it seems unneccesary.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I never understood this aspect of sous vide.  I mean, once it hits the temperature of the water, what is the benefit?  What is the risk?  Yeah, let's hold a piece of meat at sub-140 F temperature for 2 days and hope it all works out.  Maybe the risk is low, depending on how well it's vacuum sealed, but it isn't zero and it seems unneccesary.  

I honestly didn't even know having it sit after reaching temp was a thing. 

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For a cut like a ribeye, not sure that the long cook periods is necessary.  Just get it to core temp.  For things like short ribs or shanks or something, longer cook times are common. For roasts (esp game roasts), I have found the texture that results when holding for long time periods like a couple days to be off putting, and kinda mushy.  I don't think that there is any real health risk, it's basically an extended pasteurization.  FWIW, I prefer a reverse sear prime rib done in the oven with a horseradish crust. I mentioned it on the other thread, but for prime rib, I want the clean beefiness of high quality meat to come through. If someone else is doing the work, I will STFU and eat that shit and be one happy motherfucker no matter how they cook it.  But if I am spending $150-200 on the slab of meat, I am doing it in the oven and not the smoker. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I honestly didn't even know having it sit after reaching temp was a thing. 

it takes about ~2 hours at 130 to pasteurize something.  and it takes a while to get to that temperature in the middle.  you're looking at 6-8 hours from when the water reaches that temp to reach 2 hours at 130 in the middle. 

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

it takes about ~2 hours at 130 to pasteurize something.  and it takes a while to get to that temperature in the middle.  you're looking at 6-8 hours from when the water reaches that temp to reach 2 hours at 130 in the middle. 

6-8 hours is a lot less than "a few days".

Regardless, nobody "pasteurizes" the steak they pull from the 'fridge and slap on the grill until it's 120 and consumed.  There has to be some middle ground.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

6-8 hours is a lot less than "a few days".

Regardless, nobody "pasteurizes" the steak they pull from the 'fridge and slap on the grill until it's 120 and consumed.  There has to be some middle ground.

i know.  i was responding to someone who said he didn't know having it sit after reaching temp was a thing. 

and it doesn't need to be pasteurized (why the scare quotes?) in the middle when you slap one on the grill because it's not sitting in the danger zone for long. 

danger zone archer GIF

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

and it doesn't need to be pasteurized (why the scare quotes?) in the middle when you slap one on the grill because it's not sitting in the danger zone for long. 

That's right.  I assume that's the issue with sous vide to those temperatures, as it sits in that temperature range for hours.  Going long enough to pasteurize makes sense.  Going a few days seems weird, and apparently changes the texture.  (I'm only going by claims on this thread, I've never sous vide anything in my life.  I have done a bunch of reverse sear, but that doesn't tend to take very long, since the air temp is maybe 250 or so.)

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

A few days? Why so long?

To make room in the refrigerator for shit that family and friends drop off? 12 hours, a day, maybe two. It never cooks past rare. That was the point of it being fool proof. No matter how long it has been in there, the consistency is the same. No real rhyme or reason.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

To make room in the refrigerator for shit that family and friends drop off? 12 hours, a day, maybe two. It never cooks past rare. That was the point of it being fool proof. No matter how long it has been in there, the consistency is the same. No real rhyme or reason.

CHIEF

image.gif.4c87e38638188c24c6319340adbed506.gif

I would get Prime Rib at Luby's when my mom let me spend the big bucks.  I say damn that was good food for a 12 year old.

I'm sure 47 year old me wouldn't like it as much because life and taste buds have changed....and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Either way, thanks for this post as I'm now inspired to try to make one.  

i want my prime rib to look like this:

image.png.84957ee1483b59abb96384da3d4bcf14.png

house of prime rib in san francisco (note the piece of medium well lurking for people who hate themselves).  the fat is perfectly rendered like you would get with a brisket.  the meat you can cut with a butter knife.  but basically no gray.  they are obviously cooking at extremely low temperatures to do that.  probably have an oven that can hold 150 on the dot, something your home oven just can't do. 

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I never understood this aspect of sous vide.  I mean, once it hits the temperature of the water, what is the benefit?  What is the risk?  

This is probably better to take to the sous vide thread, but:

The main benefit is being to decouple "doneness" with "done." (Defining "done" as safe to eat from a pathogen standpoint. Defining "doneness" as being cooked to where we like it from a taste/texture "good food to eat" standpoint.) Adding cook time, especially on tougher cuts, can be tricky to do without drying them out in conventional cooking. The meat is "done" at 120 or 140 or whatever based on the pathogen time chart, but in the case of a shank or a cheek or a brisket or pork shoulder, it is not at a tenderness level where anyone would want to eat it. At that point, you just need time to break down connective tissues. If you go hotter, it cooks faster, but you dry out the meat more or get a meat texture that maybe you don't like. Think of traditional methods like braising and confit, that's basically a sous vide environment prior to having the easy control of sous vide. Those methods try to immerse the food in a moist/fat environment to reduce moisture loss - sous vide doesn't require it because it never heats the protein to the point of losing the moisture in the first place.

Sous vide give you a very reliable way to control temp and time independently, so you can get the meat "done" and then carry it to your desired "doneness."

There really is no risk, within reason. Understand the pathogen time/temp chart - the lower the temp, the longer it takes to make food safe to eat. Conventional cooking happens quickly and hot, so the required temp is high - hence the FDA cooking temp recommendations that result in dry pork chops and chicken breasts. But if you use a lower temp, longer cook, you never dry out the meat, you never tighten up the proteins, yet you still render it safe to eat. As a general rule, longer is always safer as it kills more and more pathogens (unless you are so low in temp that you are incubating the pathogens):

713603592_bacteria-temperature-chartculinaryreviewer.png.633d572e5ff59438360f07b5fe0cc564.png

(Chart stolen from culinaryreviewer.com)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I've honestly gotten to the point where I would rather do a strip roast. Reverse sear. Carve and serve just like prime rib. I've just had too many prome ribs with such a thick inner fat ring...then account for the bones.....I just like strip better at this point. 

I hope you take back everything bad you’ve ever said about [mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention], and Matt Campbell. 

I never said bad shit at al4isu. I think Matt Campbell is the poster child for not passing on opportunity.

That being said the best beef and pork in the country is raised in Iowa. Fucking corn fed the way God intended.

Have you ever heard of a ribeye?

I thought the same when I heard as a special. My boss who lived there and ate at 801 at least once a week said “try it it’s great!” I asked the waiter about it and he clarified it’s blackened prime rib, not a blackened ribeye steak.

So you get all the goodness of their prime rib roast then that quick sear of the seasoned sides. It’s on of the best pieces of beef I’ve ever had.

When I interviewed with the boss I flew up and we headed to 801. He said the oysters Rockefeller and the Iowa prime rib are the stars. I ordered the medium size and he told the waiter “bring him the big one, with the bone.”

So now I’m in the interviewee dilemma as I’m eating this massive slab. They were the best oyster dish I ever ate. I’m telling him it’s the best beef I can recall. I’m full. Wtf do I do? If I eat it all he’ll think I’m a fucking hog. If I don’t he’ll think I’m a wasteful bastard and inept with his assets. Finally he said, “you don’t have to eat that whole thing. I just wanted you to have it on the bone. It’s lots better!”

21 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I never said bad shit at al4isu. I think Matt Campbell is the poster child for not passing on opportunity.

That being said the best beef and pork in the country is raised in Iowa. Fucking corn fed the way God intended.

I wasn’t being serious. And the answer to your dilemma is to eat half and give the other half to a homeless dude on the sidewalk. 

15 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I am really interested in smoking a prime rib.  Do I still broil it at 500 degrees after I reach my 120 degrees internal temp on smoker?  And do you do it before or after resting it.

No need to rest, and it will definitely be better with some high heat.  The Serious Eats recipe assumes you’re using one oven and need that time to bring it up to temp. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:16 AM, jimmyjazz said:

1 cup sour cream

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

I have a prime rib on the smoker right now and I will be using this horse radish sauce.  I appreciate it.  Sounds fucking awesome

• Hook 'Em 1