World Cup Quarterfinals - Croatia/Brazil, Netherlands/Argentina, Morocco/Portugal, England/France

Captain Ron

Just now, aggie08 said:

Someone explain this one to soccer idiots like myself: why have two extra periods when the score after the first extra period doesn't matter as far as ending the match? Why not just have one 30 minute extra period?

Symmetry?  Gotta switch sides to make it fair?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Saving Neymar for 5th when you have to have the 4th to get to 5?

Yeah, it seems pretty dumb to me. If you miss your first and the other side makes theirs, you're totally chasing the shootout at that point. For that reason alone, I'm sending my #1 PK guy out there to shoot first every, single fucking time.

2 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Love it!  With only Netherlands left in my "teams other than mine that I like", I'm pulling for the underdogs in every match now.

The Netherlands and Argentina are my other two teams when the US goes out. Sad that I'm guaranteed to lose one for sure today.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

So how many World Cups in a row is this where Brazil got knocked out by a European team?

I mean this is kind of a stupid comment from all the commentators. Pretty much every world cup comes down to South America vs Europe if you make it past the Round of 16... you are pretty much guaranteed to lose to a European team unless you win it. I dont think it is any kind of indictment on Brazil. 

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Someone explain this one to soccer idiots like myself: why have two extra periods when the score after the first extra period doesn't matter as far as ending the match? Why not just have one 30 minute extra period?

Why have the bottom of the 10th when the top of the 10th does not count. FYI, golden goal was also tried and everyone settled back on two 15 minute over time periods.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s tough being at the top.

I suspect some of y’all aggy wannabes will move the goal posts, but Brazil is still leader of the pack. Closest competition went home already as well.

So keep on hating hahaha. emoji2371.png

France plays tomorrow, brochacho

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not going to claim some superior wisdom or prescience on this whole thing as i figured brazil would slip by here but I will note that i have been the one beating the "who gives a flying fuck that brazil is rolling up on south korea, cameroon, serbia, and switzerland" drum.  they might as well have played some texas high school teams in terms of relative quality once they got to this point of the top uefa teams and argentina.

that fourth penalty kick from croatia may be the most impressive pk i have ever seen.  holy shit, that was nails given that it was for the whole thing.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Saving Neymar for 5th when you have to have the 4th to get to 5?

d28.gif

Same thing happened to Ronaldo 2 cups ago. You can't save your best players for the end, you need to front load your team in this case. I'm not sure why teams haven't figured that one out.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Rest. These guys rarely play games that go to OT, so you have a break in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I suspect some of y’all aggy wannabes will move the goal posts, but Brazil is still leader of the pack. Closest competition went home already as well.

please tell me you dyed your hair platinum????

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

did you wake up and look at the calendar and believe it was 1994?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

I am not going to claim some superior wisdom or prescience on this whole thing as i figured brazil would slip by here but I will note that i have been the one beating the "who gives a flying fuck that brazil is rolling up on south korea, cameroon, serbia, and switzerland.  they might as well have played some texas high school teams in terms of relative quality once they got to this point of the top uefa teams and argentina.

that fourth penalty kick from croatia may be the most impressive pk i have ever seen.  holy shit, that was nails given that it was for the whole thing.

On point 1 - a run against so so teams lets you get into form. I know that we haven't talked about it much in the EPL, but that team at the top might not have played many teams, but that run of tomato cans has gotten them in form, I think when City and Pool do come calling, they might not have an easy time beating them.
That all said, you do have to win the big game, and if you aren't that good, you just might not. You might also get unlucky like Brazil did today.

Point 2- Yeah, that was a monster PK. Hell of a kick for on the ground.

It was unstoppable.

I feel bad for Allison because I’m a Liverpool guy but the rest of Brazil can get fucked.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

dude, you are 100% full-on full-aggy moral victory with that crap

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Newmar was great. Feel bad for him. 

That he didn't even take a PK in the shootout is dereliction of duty by the Brazil manager.

18 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Sorry Brasileños

image.thumb.png.70fcd9f2d724f997162a0cb52cc28b34.png

You're pulling for the Argentines? That might push me towards the Dutch today. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Same thing happened to Ronaldo 2 cups ago. You can't save your best players for the end, you need to front load your team in this case. I'm not sure why teams haven't figured that one out.

Hero ball blows up in their face.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It was unstoppable.

I feel bad for Allison because I’m a Liverpool guy but the rest of Brazil can get fucked.

i will also not pretend that i'm not enjoying the fact that allison got punked 4 for 4 and only kind of got close once.

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

On point 1 - a run against so so teams lets you get into form. I know that we haven't talked about it much in the EPL, but that team at the top might not have played many teams, but that run of tomato cans has gotten them in form, I think when City and Pool do come calling, they might not have an easy time beating them.
That all said, you do have to win the big game, and if you aren't that good, you just might not. You might also get unlucky like Brazil did today.

Point 2- Yeah, that was a monster PK. Hell of a kick for on the ground.

no doubt...it also just builds confidence, etc...  the art briles theory of success if you will.  good form, no injuries, lots of confidence.

but it also means you are untested and when you finally run into someone who might hit you back, it can be bamboozling.  

but my point is really more towards the perception of invincibility they were enjoying as a result of rolling through the low hanging fruit.  credit for doing what you are supposed to do, disposing easily of inferior teams.  but everyone was "crownin' they ass" based on humiliating some koreans...when we know there are 8 teams that are just on another planet and they hadn't encountered one yet.

and it's not just brazil obviously. my bleus are going to have to cope with the same thing.  england is 1 million times better than anyone they've faced thus far in the tourney.  but i think everyone recognizes that game is a pick'em where as everyone assumed brazil rolls 3-0 today...against a team that was in the world cup final and has an all-time great midfielder and a lot of experience of winning ugly against good teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Unlike aggy, we’re actively cheering against Bama.  

• Hook 'Em 2

dude, you are 100% full-on full-aggy moral victory with that crap

Not at all. It’s just a fact.

No moral victory. Brazil played like shit, especially defense. They hardly can play as a team. It’s been the same problem for over 2 decades. A lot of entitlement. I am pissed they lost, but Croatia deserved the win.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

arsenalfantv GIF

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Croatia had 0 shots on goal after 90 minutes right?

They were playing for penalty kicks.

I don't think they were playing for PKs, I think they were picking and choosing their spots. They had breaks all game long that didn't amount to anything, but you could see if someone was there to get on the end of it, they could make something happen.

They got exactly one of those to work and the result was the goal we saw.

I think they understood that penalties were a way to get the win, but I don't think they were only looking for penalties as the way to get through.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, sidis said:

i will also not pretend that i'm not enjoying the fact that allison got punked 4 for 4 and only kind of got close once.

no doubt...it also just builds confidence, etc...  the art briles theory of success if you will.  good form, no injuries, lots of confidence.

but it also means you are untested and when you finally run into someone who might hit you back, it can be bamboozling.  

but my point is really more towards the perception of invincibility they were enjoying as a result of rolling through the low hanging fruit.  credit for doing what you are supposed to do, disposing easily of inferior teams.  but everyone was "crownin' they ass" based on humiliating some koreans...when we know there are 8 teams that are just on another planet and they hadn't encountered one yet.

and it's not just brazil obviously. my bleus are going to have to cope with the same thing.  england is 1 million times better than anyone they've faced thus far in the tourney.  but i think everyone recognizes that game is a pick'em where as everyone assumed brazil rolls 3-0 today...against a team that was in the world cup final and has an all-time great midfielder and a lot of experience of winning ugly against good teams.

All good points.

I also think outside of Morocco, just about anyone in the final 8 has what it takes to win this whole thing. And Brazil just ran into and couldn't get it done.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think they were playing for PKs, I think they were picking and choosing their spots. They had breaks all game long that didn't amount to anything, but you could see if someone was there to get on the end of it, they could make something happen.
They got exactly one of those to work and the result was the goal we saw.
I think they understood that penalties were a way to get the win, but I don't think they were only looking for penalties as the way to get through.

Agree with this. On the flip side, Morocco was clearly playing for PK’s in R16 and Spain was happy to oblige by making 3500 passes, possessing 80% of the time but not really going anywhere or doing anything.

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

So how many World Cups in a row is this where Brazil got knocked out by a European team?

1930: lost to yugoslavia in a 3-team group and did not advance

1934: 16 team knockout tournament w/ no group stage, lost to spain in opening match

1938: 16 team knockout tournament w/ no group stage, defeated poland aet, drew czechslovak and lost a replay in the quarters

1950: 2-stage group tournament, lost to uruguay in the 3rd game of the final group

1954: 4 groups of 4, lost to hungary in first knockout (quarterfinal)

1958: won

1962: won

1966: 4 groups of 4, lost to hungary and portugal in group and did not advance

1970: won

1974: 2-stage group tournament w/ winner of each of 2 2nd-stage group winners meeting in the final, and the 2 2nd-stage group runners-up going to 3rd place, so brazil's "exit" occurred happened in the 2nd-round Group A after defeating east germany and argentina then losing the rubber match to the dutch

1978: same setup as '74, brazil's "exit" happened when they didn't win the 2nd-stage group A; both argentina and brazil drew each otehr, and both defeated peru and poland, but argentina won the group on goals scored, so, technically, they went out to argentina

1982: repeat of 74/78 setup except 3-team 2nd-stage groups; defeated argentina but then went out lost to italy

1986: 6 groups of 4 w/ 4 of 6 3rd place teams advancing; went out in quarters to france on kicks

1990: repeat of '86 setup, out to argentina round of 16

1994: repeat of 86/90 setup, won

1998: 8 groups of 4 (system we have today); lost final to france

2002: 8x4 ,won

2006: 8x4, out to france in quarters

2010: 8x4, out to dutch in quarters

2014: 8x4, obliterated by germany in semis

2018: 8x4, out to belgium in quarters

2022: 8x4, out to croatia in quarters

++++

summary, brazil have exited twice to argentina, once to uruguay, and all other exits to european teams

so the question is a misnomer, because who else is there to knock them out?

no asian, african or north american side has ever been in a position to do it

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sidis said:

I am not going to claim some superior wisdom or prescience on this whole thing as i figured brazil would slip by here but I will note that i have been the one beating the "who gives a flying fuck that brazil is rolling up on south korea, cameroon, serbia, and switzerland" drum.  they might as well have played some texas high school teams in terms of relative quality once they got to this point of the top uefa teams and argentina.

the us federation has got to buy our way in to euro 24

threaten to stop arms shipments to ukraine

whatever it takes

we are never going to get to this level bumblefucking around in concacrap