World Cup Quarterfinals - Croatia/Brazil, Netherlands/Argentina, Morocco/Portugal, England/France

Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s tough being at the top.

I suspect some of y’all aggy wannabes will move the goal posts, but Brazil is still leader of the pack. Closest competition went home already as well.

So keep on hating hahaha. emoji2371.png

Just let your wife cry on your shoulder and then get laid. You will be fine. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Everytime I watch the dutch play I get a craving for french fries, waffles, and a trip to a red light district.  Also orange sherbert is the best sherbert.  Yes i said it!

mussels and pickled herring!

wait, the mussels were in belgium

Edited by WBT

46 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

summary, brazil have exited twice to argentina, once to uruguay, and all other exits to european teams

so the question is a misnomer, because who else is there to knock them out?

Yeah, most of the time the top teams in the world are Brazil, Argentina, and several teams from Europe.  So of course Brazil keeps getting KO'd by European teams.  So do most of the European teams, for that matter.  And how could it be otherwise?

Edited by TexArcher

56 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

1930: lost to yugoslavia in a 3-team group and did not advance

1934: 16 team knockout tournament w/ no group stage, lost to spain in opening match

1938: 16 team knockout tournament w/ no group stage, defeated poland aet, drew czechslovak and lost a replay in the quarters

1950: 2-stage group tournament, lost to uruguay in the 3rd game of the final group

1954: 4 groups of 4, lost to hungary in first knockout (quarterfinal)

1958: won

1962: won

1966: 4 groups of 4, lost to hungary and portugal in group and did not advance

1970: won

1974: 2-stage group tournament w/ winner of each of 2 2nd-stage group winners meeting in the final, and the 2 2nd-stage group runners-up going to 3rd place, so brazil's "exit" occurred happened in the 2nd-round Group A after defeating east germany and argentina then losing the rubber match to the dutch

1978: same setup as '74, brazil's "exit" happened when they didn't win the 2nd-stage group A; both argentina and brazil drew each otehr, and both defeated peru and poland, but argentina won the group on goals scored, so, technically, they went out to argentina

1982: repeat of 74/78 setup except 3-team 2nd-stage groups; defeated argentina but then went out lost to italy

1986: 6 groups of 4 w/ 4 of 6 3rd place teams advancing; went out in quarters to france on kicks

1990: repeat of '86 setup, out to argentina round of 16

1994: repeat of 86/90 setup, won

1998: 8 groups of 4 (system we have today); lost final to france

2002: 8x4 ,won

2006: 8x4, out to france in quarters

2010: 8x4, out to dutch in quarters

2014: 8x4, obliterated by germany in semis

2018: 8x4, out to belgium in quarters

2022: 8x4, out to croatia in quarters

++++

summary, brazil have exited twice to argentina, once to uruguay, and all other exits to european teams

so the question is a misnomer, because who else is there to knock them out?

no asian, african or north american side has ever been in a position to do it

Crazy to think it’s been 20 years since they won.

Just now, Captain Ron said:

Hey look passing up the middle, what a concept. Nothing that we have even tried under Gergg.

To be fair, not only do we not have a Messi but I don't think we have anyone that would have finished that either.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

To be fair, not only do we not have a Messi but I don't think we have anyone that would have finished that either.

Of course we don't have a Messi, but we have a guy that can penetrate in the middle, draw in defenders and make that pass, but Gergg only gave him 53 minutes.

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I see. Going with the yankee fan style total titles argument. 

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So are we cherry picking or what? We do that with ou. We do that with natties compared to aggy. I mean, what metric would you like to measure it by? I’m guessing number of appearances vs number of titles? Ok…

y'all are two ships passing in the night.

swayze is talking about all time, everyone else is talking about at present.  brazil has the most cups and they span a long period of coverage.  but in the last five consecutive tourneys (two decades), they made quarterfinal exits in all but the one they hosted in 2014...and their exit in 2014 was easily the most humiliating.  they are perceived to be great because of history and they certainly have great players...but they have not been competitive against the other top 8 teams in the world in a long time.  you traded in ronaldo and rivaldo for fucking douchebag neymar.  not a trade that will lead to hoisting the cup.

at present, france is probably the most consistently good...along with england, croatia, portugal...and italy as long as it's the euros tournament.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 4

y'all are two ships passing in the night.
swayze is talking about all time, everyone else is talking about at present.  brazil has the most cups and they span a long period of coverage.  but in the last five consecutive tourneys (two decades), they made quarterfinal exits in all but the one they hosted in 2014...and their exit in 2014 was easily the most humiliating.  they are perceived to be great because of history and they certainly have great players...but they have not been competitive against the other top 8 teams in the world in a long time.
at present, france is probably the most consistently good...along with england, croatia, portugal...and italy as long as it's the euros tournament.

Exactly. At no point was I arguing Brazil is currently the best. Do I wish they were? Fuck yes.

20 years of bullshit, trying to put all the stars, egos and entitlement on one squad then expect them to play like a well oiled machine. It isn’t working. This is what individual talent gets you. Quarters or semis. Not champions.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I see. Going with the yankee fan style total titles argument. 

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So are we cherry picking or what? We do that with ou. We do that with natties compared to aggy. I mean, what metric would you like to measure it by? I’m guessing number of appearances vs number of titles? Ok…

I’m going with championships and title-game appearances.

Brazil, despite playing “the beautiful game”, has won two World Cup in the last 50 years. France has won two in the last 24.

This will be the fifth WC since Brazil has been in a final. Brazil, if you include the 1970 title, has four championship game appearances in the past 50 years.

In my lifetime Germany has been in six title games and has won three.

• Hook 'Em 1

adding on to this...since their cup win in 2002, here are the teams that brazil has beaten in world cup matchups...

wins: croatia, australia, japan, ghana, north korea, ivory coast, chile, croatia, cameroon, colombia, costa rica, serbia, mexico, serbia, switzerland, and south korea.

i'm sorry, that is a complete dogshit list of wins.  i would be prouder of winning the texas u.i.l. state championship.

here are their losses: france, netherlands, germany, netherlands, belgium, cameroon (albeit playing their b team), and croatia.  they are a uefa gang bang play thing at this point.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I’m going with championships and title-game appearances.
Brazil, despite playing “the beautiful game”, has won two World Cup in the last 50 years. France has won two in the last 24.
This will be the fifth WC since Brazil has been in a final. Brazil, if you include the 1970 title, has four championship game appearances in the past 50 years.
In my lifetime Germany has been in six title games and has won three.

Again, at no point was I arguing that. As mentioned above, I went with all time.