Old-School American Comfort Food

MalibuSheriff

10 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah, that was a long time ago.   Used to meet my grandparents there in the 1970s.   

But, not as long ago as …

Bon Ton, and occasionally the Cottonwood Inn’s restaurant, was our mid-point stop when trips between Austin and Houston took much longer than these days, along 2-lane highways (at best) thru small towns and other “wide places in the road.”  The old days are truly just that …

13 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

But, not as long ago as …

Bon Ton, and occasionally the Cottonwood Inn’s restaurant, was our mid-point stop when trips between Austin and Houston took much longer than these days, along 2-lane highways (at best) thru small towns and other “wide places in the road.”  The old days are truly just that …

Yep, used to have to drive through La Grange, Smithville etc.   Was a nasty highway as far as being dangerous.   

• Like 1

Yep, used to have to drive through La Grange, Smithville etc.   Was a nasty highway as far as being dangerous.   

Truly shitty drive. Sister of a dear friend died in a wreck just this side of the old river bridge at la grange on the way home one weekend. The day they opened that bypass was a big day.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Truly shitty drive. Sister of a dear friend died in a wreck just this side of the old river bridge at la grange on the way home one weekend. The day they opened that bypass was a big day.

In college I was driving to Houston for the bluebonnet bowl and rear ended someone on that bridge when traffic backed up without warning. Only wreck I've ever had. Luckily, nobody was hurt. I would cringe every time I had to drive through that town, until they opened the bypass. 

I'm finding two Angie's Country Kitchens when I google it. Do you mean the one in Houston or the one in Cayuga, Indiana? Don't want to get to Indiana before I realize it's the wrong one.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm finding two Angie's Country Kitchens when I google it. Do you mean the one in Houston or the one in Cayuga, Indiana? Don't want to get to Indiana before I realize it's the wrong one.

Puro Houston, Holmes.   

As a side trip and when you’re done with your dining experience,  wander over a few doors to Turner’s Hardware.   A real, old-school hardware store with employees that will actually catch you at the door and ask what they can help you find.   They also have a cool collection of antique rifles hung up in the walls.  

Nothing is computerized and it’s a little more expensive than THD or Lowe’s yet worth it.  

33 minutes ago, Paco said:

If you're ever in Petaluma get breakfast at Sax's Joint.b5992d3dfc44e657900889afc94fdf7f.jpg

I haven't been north of SF yet but it looks like I should go up next time. That looks fantastic.

We travel to Maine and Monterey just about every year and I have yet to find a place in New England that will serve a plate like that. We have found several on the west coast that do.

23 hours ago, deadshank said:

Angie’s Country Kitchen on  Hempstead at 34th.   

The basics.   CFS, smothered steak, chix & dumplings, beef tips on rice lasagna, burgers and basic breakfast staples.  

No frills or pretense.  Super blue collar.  

Never had a bad meal here in 30 years. 

1B05164D-3355-42E0-92CD-3B55B920E4CA.jpeg

42B77C9B-8EE4-4CFA-83B3-1D0E967B68CB.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever seen brown gravy on a chicken fried steak. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen brown gravy on a chicken fried steak. 

That’s how they do it in parts up north. The heathens call it country fried steak. Put brown gravy on it. God awful. Plus that brown stuff is usually a Sysco dry mix.

Another thing they do out west and in shitburgs like Ohio. Biscuits and gravy. They don’t split the biscuit and then put on the gravy. They just plop down a biscuit and pour gravy on top. A minor difference? It’s a huge fucking difference.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I haven't been north of SF yet but it looks like I should go up next time. That looks fantastic.
We travel to Maine and Monterey just about every year and I have yet to find a place in New England that will serve a plate like that. We have found several on the west coast that do.
Chicken fried steak was hard to find in Maine, but for a damn good old school breakfast lunch place the Brunswick cafe (in Brunswick!)
was damn good.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Is this for places in Texas only? This is some corned beef hash that I had for breakfast in Pacific Grove, CA a couple of days ago. Outstanding breakfast.

IMG_0462.JPG

I had to dig around my photo library of one of the greatest breakfasts I’ve ever eaten in Carmel, CA.  The restaurant called Em Le’s is closed now but I believe owners have reopened under different name, which I’m not sure - Eggs Benedict over corned beef hash.  It deserved to have iconic sunbeams and shit radiating from this masterpiece:

45DCE1A1-AB63-4AA5-9E44-9A229D432CA5.thumb.jpeg.b8f8374d32de133649f7bd3434183d66.jpeg

Monterrey Peninsula is strong in the breakfast game.

• Like 2