Is dark tint on a vehicle legal now in Texas?

Enemy07

10 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Any tint on the front/windshield is illegal. The other windows you can get pretty dark legally.

Not really, they raised the visibility of side windows a few years ago, or at least I was told that. Had my side windows tinted as dark as legally possible and am disappointed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Blowin on that endo, gamecube nintendo…

5% tint so you can't see up in my windows

15 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I'd be willing to bet it's indo as in indica and not endo as in endoscopy. Never heard of the song, but I will wager a couple Best Buy coupons. 

You're right on the spelling but incorrect on the abbreviation. 

[Csb incoming] Back in the early and mid 2000's, in Houston, Mexican brick weed (grown outdoors on acres of farmland) was much more widely consumed than the good stuff of today's (mostly grown indoors.) In the lyric referenced above, "Slim Thug" is claiming to be smoking the good stuff, mostly as a status symbol. It's a Reggie (regular weed) vs 'Dro (hydroponic weed) situation. Thus, "indo" means grown indoors. /csb

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

[Csb incoming] Back in the early and mid 2000's, in Houston, Mexican brick weed (grown outdoors on acres of farmland) was much more widely consumed than the good stuff of today's (mostly grown indoors.) In the lyric referenced above, "Slim Thug" is claiming to be smoking the good stuff, mostly as a status symbol. It's a Reggie (regular weed) vs 'Dro (hydroponic weed) situation. Thus, "indo" means grown indoors. /csb

Yeah, I understand the weed history, but the word makes better sense now. It was just skunk weed back in the 80s. Named stuff was met with skepticism. Sure you have some Acapulco Gold. Right. Maui Wowie? Uh huh. Just give me a 50 of the stank ass stuff and quit lying.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, HRSchenker said:

A bunch of local Tesla owners were throwing a fit about state troopers pulling them over for front windshield tint. Last I checked it was illegal for any sort of tint to be on the windshield. 

I should probably clarify. Any tint below the AS-1 line is illegal. The guys in my area are getting a light (no pun intended) tint all over the front windshield and getting tickets for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 11:58 AM, cactusflinthead said:

I'd be willing to bet it's indo as in indica and not endo as in endoscopy. Never heard of the song, but I will wager a couple Best Buy coupons. 

Its possible Greenspoint just enjoys putting tubes in his mouth that were previously up another mans rectum. Dont kinkshame the man.

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2022 at 9:27 AM, HRSchenker said:

I should probably clarify. Any tint below the AS-1 line is illegal. The guys in my area are getting a light (no pun intended) tint all over the front windshield and getting tickets for it. 

Correct.  When I got pulled over for ours, the trooper said it’s either smugglers or a pipeliner.  We’re not smugglers. I paid the fine, removed the tint (had to “prove at that county’s DPS office), and I miss it immensely.   

Many states allow front windshield tint if a doctor writes you a note recommending it due to light sensitivity. I don't know if Texas is included; I've had coworkers in a couple states get those letters and tint their windshields. Any doctor will generally write you one.

On 12/25/2022 at 9:33 AM, Sam Lin said:

Many states allow front windshield tint if a doctor writes you a note recommending it due to light sensitivity. I don't know if Texas is included; I've had coworkers in a couple states get those letters and tint their windshields. Any doctor will generally write you one.

I’m sure that will hold up when trying to explain to the Llano County sheriff.

Do you guys not wear sunglasses?

On 12/15/2022 at 8:17 AM, gyroprotagonist said:

hell, it's illegal to not have a front license plate in Texas yet a lot of cars now are built with no posts for a front plate.  That and dark tint level is just a built in excuse to pull over anyone they want to.

My 2006 didn't have a place for a front plate.  The dealer coffered to just drill and affix a janky-looking bracket to the front bumper plastic.  I just took the 2 tickets I got in ten years - both of which came from DPS as I drove through Waco between Dallas and Austin. Second guy got really hot because he could see the previous ticket in my record.  Threatened to impound the car and some other nonsense.

More on topic, the tint place that did my wife's car had a board of choices - one set was "front windows" and one set was "back windows."  All kinds of "colors" - some had red undertones, some yellow, some blue, some grey, some green. Despite the two categories, they said it was my business and they'd put whatever I chose on whatever window I wanted. 

Did not ask about the windshield.

• 4 months later...
On 12/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

til today i learned GIF by Justin

On 12/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, cactusflinthead said:

On 12/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

Need to cross post in the High thread to get a definitive ruling.