World Cup Semifinal 1 - Argentina v Croatia

Captain Ron

I would say that Croatia has the better TEAM.

It can be argued that Argentina has the better player, but that player is only effective on the offensive side of the ball. Croatia's timeless warrior is highly effective going both directions.

It will be interesting to see how this game is officiated. If the officiating is stern, yet fair, then I would put Croatia as the favorites. If el árbitro has been instructed to help out a Qatari owned PSG player, then I would say that Argentina could be the slight favorites.

I would expect that Croatian high pressing will lead to at least one Croatian goal after shitty play from the Argentine back line/goalkeeper.

Both sides will dive, but Argentina will dive more. (Don't know what the prop bet is on dives, but take the OVER for the match and for Argentina to cover.)

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I would say that Croatia has the better TEAM.

It can be argued that Argentina has the better player, but that player is only effective on the offensive side of the ball. Croatia's timeless warrior is highly effective going both directions.

It will be interesting to see how this game is officiated. If the officiating is stern, yet fair, then I would put Croatia as the favorites. If el árbitro has been instructed to help out a Qatari owned PSG player, then I would say that Argentina could be the slight favorites.

I would expect that Croatian high pressing will lead to at least one Croatian goal after shitty play from the Argentine back line/goalkeeper.

Both sides will dive, but Argentina will dive more. (Don't know what the prop bet is on dives, but take the OVER for the match and for Argentina to cover.)

We all know who you're cheering for. You're the better team. Croatia is a great side but Brazil had zero excuse not beating them. Their window was last WC. Argentina should play this straight up and win in regulation. Netherlands was a more difficult test imo. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Croatia has made the final in 2018 and the semifinal in 2022 with zero knockout wins after 90 minutes.  Pretty safe to say they'll be playing for kicks again.

Croatian players approach PKs with an attitude that reveals that is where they wanted and expected to be. They have studied the goalie and approach each shot as a collective five shot strategy. They knew the Brazil goalie likes to guess and go early so they shot the first two down the middle. Once they had him hesitating, where ever they wanted to go was wide open.

Edited by DanTheHorn

Croatia. 3-1. Defense holds the Argentine attack and counters like the Brits taking Port Stanley. 

If I have to go with one of two Nazi loving nations, gotta be the one with less population. And I am not a fan of the Croats, but as the joke goes. 

Argentina was giving the riches of the world, the last part of the world where God dropped resources. He emptied his bag (her, she, don't want to get yelled at) and the world said "what? Are you kidding?"

God said, "wait until you meet the Argentines." 

Hrvastka Uvijec. 

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

FIFA wants a France/Argentina final. Just to screw Qatar, I'm hoping it's Croatia/Morocco in the final. 

If Morocco is in the final, the stadium will be packed, all of the Arab, Muslim, and African countries will be glued to the set and FIFA’s influence in “Developing Nations” will be stronger than ever. 

• Hook 'Em 2

No matter what the matchup is out of the four possibilities in the final, there is going to be an “all-white”-ish* team in the final vs a “people of color with plenty o’ muslims” team in the final. 

My guess is that some at FOX are aware of this, but it will not be addressed on any broadcast. 

*As Swayze & friends have noted, many Argentines have “creole” backgrounds of European, Arican descent, & indigenous people (South American descent). No geneticists have been able to detect what Di Maria’s background is though “Italian & Silly Putty” seem to be two ingredients that everyone can agree on. As for Di Maria’s teammates, most of the world would state that they are predominantly of European descent… and most likely they are all Catholic, although the country has had Jewish players in the squad in the past. My guess is that the Croatians are all Catholic/Eastern Orthodox-ish. 

3 hours ago, sidis said:

i just hope that argentina brings its typical bullshit antics to this game...gonna find out there's a difference between pretty boy dutch northern euros and war-hardened, eastern european alcoholics.

I just hope Argentina doesn’t lose too many players to the inevitable snipers that are lying in wait.