World Cup Semifinal 1 - Argentina v Croatia

Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Was on a work call since this game started, but was that PK warranted?  The goalie tried to block the ball, spread out his body to try to block it, and the Argentina guys runs through him. Seemed like normal contact to me given the situation. Are goalies not allowed to rush an attacking player?

That's the key right there. He tried - AND MISSED.

When he didn't get the ball, he lost all right to be in the space.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Interesting that these teams don’t spend 80% of possession time passing the ball around in their own backfield like team USA.

It's called a real strategy. The US "dominates" games by having more possession. But Gergg has no plan for what he wants to do with the ball, just pass it around or bring it down the wings for blind crosses.

If you watch soccer enough you can see how you can dominate not having the ball or be dominated while having a ton of possession. The key is a great counter attack.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I am now switching from rooting for Chaos to now wanting France Womens Soccer Sport GIF by Equipe de France de Football to advance to the championship game.

I want a great game. 

I don't care who comes out of the other side of the bracket at this point, I want Argentina to hoist the cup so that 🐐 Messi has the one trophy that CR7 never got.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

1982 was Argentina’s last WC championship?

1986 over germany in mexico city.  four years later germany beat argentina in the final in rome.

argentina also won in 1978 over the netherlands in buenos aires.  both of their world cup wins came in the western hemisphere.

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

That's the key right there. He tried - AND MISSED.

When he didn't get the ball, he lost all right to be in the space.

Yeah, he's like any other defender.  If he doesn't touch the ball he doesn't have the right to take out the man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

1986 over germany in mexico city.  four years later germany beat argentina in the final in rome.

argentina also won in 1978 over the netherlands in buenos aires.  both of their world cup wins came in the western hemisphere.

I’m not sure how I forgot the 1986 final. I think my brain has been trying to forget that one. I was in Germany at the relative’s in Bielefeld for the summer of 1990 and we had a chance to buy tickets for the game in Rome but, they were $1,000 per and I was fresh out of school and didn’t think Dad would appreciate that purchase by an unemployed me. So, we watched it on a TV that was about 20 inches and then went out in the town to celebrate.

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I don't care who comes out of the other side of the bracket at this point, I want Argentina to hoist the cup so that 🐐 Messi has the one trophy that CR7 never got.

That’s a good point. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It's called a real strategy. The US "dominates" games by having more possession. But Gergg has no plan for what he wants to do with the ball, just pass it around or bring it down the wings for blind crosses.

If you watch soccer enough you can see how you can dominate not having the ball or be dominated while having a ton of possession. The key is a great counter attack.

If USA had our best athletes playing, I could see that strategy might work but we will probably never have that.

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

If USA had our best athletes playing, I could see that strategy might work but we will probably never have that.

Hasn't it always been like that? Hell i remember the high school soccer coach saying his best players through the years were playing baseball instead of soccer once they reached high school cause you can't do both. 

1 minute ago, BERT said:

Hasn't it always been like that? Hell i remember the high school soccer coach saying his best players through the years were playing baseball instead of soccer once they reached high school cause you can't do both. 

We lost our best player to the Football team to kick FG's. He sucked at it.

Fuck you Craig!!

9 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Except, our guys playing soccer are among the top athletes in the world.

If we crafted a strategy around that talent, we could be really dangerous. I certainly wouldn't run Gregg's stupid 4-3-3 with this roster. I would run a more attack-centric 4-4-2 with it. Maximize what we have, not play into what we don't.

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Except, our guys playing soccer are among the top athletes in the world.

If we crafted a strategy around that talent, we could be really dangerous. I certainly wouldn't run Gregg's stupid 4-3-3 with this roster. I would run a more attack-centric 4-4-2 with it. Maximize what we have, not play into what we don't.

I’m for that and didn’t care for the way this team was managed by Gregg.  Time to move on especially with next WC in USA.

1 hour ago, BERT said:

My little league team won the city (town, really) soccer trophy.  I won MVP at goalie because I stopped 20 shots in the final.  I was playing on the team with all the poor kids (white trash and Hispanics) and we beat all the rich preppy kids who lived out by the country club.  I loved soccer more than anything.

Immediately stopped playing soccer after that because it wasn't supported whatsoever out in West Texas.  Baseball, bball, and tackle football.  That's it.

• Hook 'Em 2