Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

15 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah you’re assuming he will be able to handle all the shit he catches on the road.  1.  He either cools down and loses his edge.  2.  He will drive himself batshit insane with the hazing on the road.  

It’s far from a guarantee he makes another final 4.  His peak is pretty high.  A final all the way to OT.  That’s a high bar.  

Also he seems to be keeping this gem of a woman around.  Lol

he's a pretty self absorbed guy who is all time world class at compartmentalizing. i seriously doubt he even notices 99% of the hazing he gets on the road. he's in and out of the arena, and while he's in the arena he's completely tuned in to the game. the basing won't affect him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's a pretty self absorbed guy who is all time world class at compartmentalizing. i seriously doubt he even notices 99% of the hazing he gets on the road. he's in and out of the arena, and while he's in the arena he's completely tuned in to the game. the basing won't affect him. 

Look how well he compartmentalizes when he’s called a traitor (the horror!!!) by an OU fan.  Lol

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/mens-basketball/2022/02/16/texas-basketball-ut-longhorns-viral-video-chris-beard-traitor-trash-talk-ou-oklahoma-sooners-fan/6812892001/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
On 1/10/2023 at 1:42 PM, royiv said:
Track home? WTF?

Cheap homes built on a tract of land with streets you can race your car with a 10 year note on.

Those are tract homes. You literally got the word right in your reply. 

Edited by royiv
My humor meter isn't registering this evening.
  • Hook 'Em 1

And now I'm quite sure our last SEC/Big XII matchup will be with Ole Miss next season.  ESPN will see to that.  

What's the proper metaphor for an ex-girlfriend who promised you the world, looked badass at first and was setting y'all up to have a great 20 years together but then attacked you, left you at the altar, and moved on to some poorer redneck with no scruples in Mississippi while you tried to rebuild your life as best you could given that you were a pretty great guy to begin with?  

On 1/23/2023 at 4:31 PM, ATXbronco said:

Ol Miss made me wonder

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/domestic-violence-by-state

Violence against Women - ranked by state

Guess who's at the top of the list

image.thumb.png.07dc3b574196a01b02482d6e9df033f9.png

Violence against the Chris Beards of the world - ranked by state

image.thumb.png.fc0534a3900214796d19a4e530a4e5cd.png

Oklahoma: where sister wives AND brother/uncle husbands best keep their head on a swivel.

10 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Did the DA drop the charges

It's never that fast. This could go on for another year in a worst case scenario. Even best case for Beard it can easily last months. In any case, you won't need to ask, because the thread/board is going to be full of people talking about it when it does happen. 

Just as an example, Arterio Morris was charged at the beginning of the summer, and we still don't know the disposition of his case. It's not apples to apples, but it is a domestic violence charge where the victim seems likely not to cooperate with the prosecutor, so that's a big similarity. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Any word if he has dumped the broad? If I were gonna hire him, I'd make it a requirement, but we know Ole Piss or whoever won't give a fuck.

Honestly, I’d question if Texas would give a fuck if the shoe were on the other foot. We don’t know how all this ends up. But if Beard appears to be completely exonerated  and he handles the PR aspects better than he has without the consequences of the legal system hanging over his head - which I feel like he will - then there’s going to be a redemptive aspect to all of this that will be very appealing to many. Especially if you’re starved for a future hall of fame coach (my opinion) to take over your basketball program. Which frankly, we are. 

That’s not to say I’m against firing him. It felt necessary to me. Just that there’s a different standard for the school he’s at when it all transpires, versus the next school after everything has run its course. 

There’s this impression he’s only going to get his next opportunity at a program that simply doesn’t care about any of this, when I feel like his options are going to be extremely broad. 

Of course, if the Kentucky job becomes available, then it’s the best of all possible worlds for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Honestly, I’d question if Texas would give a fuck if the shoe were on the other foot. We don’t know how all this ends up. But if Beard appears to be completely exonerated  and he handles the PR aspects better than he has without the consequences of the legal system hanging over his head - which I feel like he will - then there’s going to be a redemptive aspect to all of this that will be very appealing to many. Especially if you’re starved for a future hall of fame coach (my opinion) to take over your basketball program. Which frankly, we are. 

That’s not to say I’m against firing him. It felt necessary to me. Just that there’s a different standard for the school he’s at when it all transpires, versus the next school after everything has run its course. 

There’s this impression he’s only going to get his next opportunity at a program that simply doesn’t care about any of this, when I feel like his options are going to be extremely broad. 

Of course, if the Kentucky job becomes available, then it’s the best of all possible worlds for him.

It's a bit easier, for sure, for a school to hire him after this blows over, assuming he's not convicted or the PR aspects of it somehow get worse.  But the whole arrest thing is really problematic for us.  There's a good reason "arrest on felony charges" is cause for firing in his contract.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

It's a bit easier, for sure, for a school to hire him after this blows over, assuming he's not convicted or the PR aspects of it somehow get worse.  But the whole arrest thing is really problematic for us.  There's a good reason "arrest on felony charges" is cause for firing in his contract.

I get it. It's problematic for me. 

But there's still a sense of innocent until proven guilty. If the court system drops the charge, the fiancee continues to spout the narrative it was all a huge mistake on her part, he didn't do anything wrong, she never should have called the police. He comes out with faux apologies for any decisions he made which put everyone in a bad position, without actually apologizing for anything specific he did. He's really gifted at coming across as a "straight shooter" while pushing out bullshit. 

The key thing is if he's ever involved in anything like this again. He will always be viewed under a different microscope now. But people love a comeback story. Including Texas. Sarkisian was fired for literally being drunk at a football practice. Regularly. That's not the same as domestic abuse, but the difference is there's no one disputing that's exactly what happened. If the only two people who were at Beard's house eventually insist nothing ever happened like what was alleged in the charges, and that Beard was wrongfully arrested, there's way more wiggle room. People are going to believe what they want to believe, and a lot of times what they want to believe is what's in their best interests. 

My biggest point is that there's a different standard for the school where events transpired, than there is for the school that subsequently hires him. That's just the way it is. Texas would have fired Sarkisian under the same circumstances, just like USC did. USC basketball would have fired Beard. But USC basketball is just as likely to hire Beard if he's completely exonerated as Texas was willing to hire Sarkisian. It's just how things work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

My biggest point is that there's a different standard for the school where events transpired, than there is for the school that subsequently hires him.

Particularly when the school where the events transpired is Texas.  I'm sorry, I know people bristle against (a) the idea that "we do it the right way" and (b) that we SHOULD "do it the right way", but I believe (and support) the idea that a coach has a shorter leash here.  With all our built-in advantages, we should be able to succeed even with a higher bar to clear in terms of player/coach behavior.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Particularly when the school where the events transpired is Texas.  I'm sorry, I know people bristle against (a) the idea that "we do it the right way" and (b) that we SHOULD "do it the right way", but I believe (and support) the idea that a coach has a shorter leash here.  With all our built-in advantages, we should be able to succeed even with a higher bar to clear in terms of player/coach behavior.

Maybe. I just can't think of many situations where a head coach was arrested for felony domestic abuse and yet kept his job. If you can think of any, it would help me with the narrative that Texas has a higher standard. I'd argue Texas simply has the standard all other schools do in this situation, until somebody proves me wrong. 

I do feel like Texas had a higher standard at one point on any number of fronts. But the reality of competing in big time athletics has chiseled away at nearly all of them. At this stage of the game I'd say Stanford is competitive for the most part while still maintaining a legitimate student athlete environment, but I don't know how many others could say the same. And they aren't able to be competitive at a high level consistently in football and men's basketball. 

I certainly do not feel like firing Chris Beard is an example of UT's higher standards. 

And ask bitterwhiteguy about UT's higher standards regarding player behavior. I have never agreed with his stance, but he's certainly been passionate about it.

re: UT's higher standards, they went out the door the day we hired Beard. not coincidentally, that day was the first day we started taking winning in college basketball seriously. when i found out that his first two assistant hires were taking the top recruiters from larry brown and bill self i was elated. i knew then that, at least in CBB, we had given up trying to win on the high road, and decided to start taking winning seriously. it was a dope 18 months living that dream. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I applauded UT the day it cut ties with Beard.  As the dust has somewhat settled, I would not change my reaction. I am still surprised it went the way it did.  Accountability is a rare commodity these days.

As far as any redemption Beard is seeking/ waiting for, it would go a long fucking way if he'd make a public statement acknowledging the incident was fucked up and while not admitting guilt; for the betterment of his career, he's entering an anger management/ domestic abuse treatment program.

As it lies, the words from the UT administration still ring true, " Bitch, you won't even own what you did.  Hit the fucking road."

If he'll hit his wife/girlfriend/ fiancee, he'll damned sure hit a player.   As a parent, I'd just say, "No fucking way is my kid playing for him."

It's Chris Beard's serve... he's waiting for the world to come to him.  It's not his fault.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Horseshit.  2/3 of the top 40 programs in the country wouldn't have fired Chris Beard at this point.  I'm not saying that makes Texas angelic, but come on.

I simply don't know that that's true. There aren't a whole lot of test cases to go by. I do know there have been coaches fired for less. 

I'm glad Texas fired him, but I'm not lauding the administration for being something special for doing so. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I simply don't know that that's true. There aren't a whole lot of test cases to go by. I do know there have been coaches fired for less. 

I'm glad Texas fired him, but I'm not lauding the administration for being something special for doing so. 

Frank Erwin says "Hook 'em" and that it's always the "bottom of the fifth" somewhere!

The History of Longhorn Sports

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Did he lay hands on Randi?  Unless it’s to save his life, he’s gone from 96% of programs

First, I think he should have been fired.  Beyond that, I disagree with your assertion.  I think a whole bunch of schools would have waited to see if the DA would drop the case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

First, I think he should have been fired.  Beyond that, I disagree with your assertion.  I think a whole bunch of schools would have waited to see if the DA would drop the case.

This.  A lot of schools would have waited as long as possible, until either after the season ended or the DA decided to drop the case (or not), before firing. 

I give UT props to hitting the eject button early.  Especially if, as per the letter from UT, Beard wasn't contrite at all about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Did he lay hands on Randi?  Unless it’s to save his life, he’s gone from 96% of programs

I don't know, man.  The complainant changed her story and said she agreed with his assertion that he was defending himself.  There's a lot of wiggle room to get him off the hook there, legally and with his employer.

I think there are an awful lot of schools that would've suspended him for the rest of the season, required anger management counseling, and let him come back next year.

I'm not saying that's what we should've done.  But a lot of programs would have, I believe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I don't know, man.  The complainant changed her story and said she agreed with his assertion that he was defending himself.  There's a lot of wiggle room to get him off the hook there, legally and with his employer.

I think there are an awful lot of schools that would've suspended him for the rest of the season, required anger management counseling, and let him come back next year.

I'm not saying that's what we should've done.  But a lot of programs would have, I believe.

Story change is super common here.  I think it’s clear she was the aggressor.  Idk how much Chris did here and I think only two people will ever know.  

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Story change is super common here.  I think it’s clear she was the aggressor.  Idk how much Chris did here and I think only two people will ever know.  

Yeah, agree with all of that.  I suspect they're a pair of lunatics who need to get away from each other and probably need to quit drinking.

And ultimately I'm glad UT didn't try to keep him.  We have to hold ourselves to a higher standard.  Let the aggys and TCU's of the world have the Petrinos and Briles of the world.  We're Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi