Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

58 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Our administration just proved to any doubters out there they do not care about winning and will not do what it takes to succeed in the SEC. Prepare to be embarrassed regularly on the football field and basketball court when we join in 2025.

Bored-Ape-Longhorn.jpg

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I don't think it's in his best interest to sue University over this, but if he does, he'll claim he was fired because of a "disability" his wife has or some bullshit like that. These days, everything is a disability which absolves the individual of personal responsibility. Hell, our head football coach sued USC invoking a "disability" when the fact is he was just a drunk ass idiot.

Except that almost never works.  Except in California.

And alcoholism is a disability recognized under the ADA.  It means they can't fire you for simply being one, if you're still functioning on the hob, or if you ask for time off for treatment or use your health plan for treatment.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

So reading/listening/watching some of the commentary after the firing, something that keeps coming up is Chris Beard's lack of contrition. Without having an intent to defend Chris Beard or his actions, I would like to put forward my view of it, and get any reactions anyone has.

If I put myself in Chris Beard's shoes while he's sitting there in jail waiting to appear before the judge, I'm making a list of my priorities.

Regardless of my innocence or guilt, they would look something like this, in this order:

Priority #1 - stay out of prison

Priority #2 - keep my job, if possible

Priority #3a - be as employable as possible if #2 doesn't work out

Priority #3b - set myself up to receive some compensation for the employment contract I signed if early termination is the result

Maybe other people would have different priorities, but those would be mine, and I think they're fairly reasonable.

The problem is, based on this idea that if Beard had shown more contrition for his actions that made this possible, there is no question it conflicts with maximizing his chances of staying out of prison. Full stop. I don't know what the scale is. It's likely he could apologize to anyone and everyone, and if his fiancee chooses not to press charges and recants her statements then the DA will have a tough time prosecuting the case regardless. But any amount of contrition expressed for his role in the evening's events sounds like a big no no from a defense attorney's position. At least to me, as a non defense attorney. "I'm sorry even though I did nothing wrong," is not an effective apology. "I'm sorry for what I did but please don't throw me in jail," equally sounds like it would jeopardize his legal position. 

It's not like any communications between him and the university are privileged. Anything documented is open to FOIA requests. All those communications have to be undertaken with that understanding. 

Perhaps he could have hired a PR agent at the same time he hires a defense attorney? Not sure how practical or effective that would be, but regardless, if the PR person and the defense attorney butt heads regarding the best course of action, in Beard's current legal situation, who would you give more weight to? I already listed my priority. 

Expressing contrition - especially the amount of contrition necessary to move the needle to where someone who is in the room deciding these things chooses to go out of their way to be Chris Beard's strong and effective advocate to the others in the room, which obviously didn't happen - jeopardizes every single one of the other priorities. 

I'm not trying to say Chris Beard is actually a good guy. Or that his hands were tied in terms of expressing whatever regrets and personal responsibility he feels right now. We all have choices, and he made his, with the consultation of the people around him. What I AM saying is that faced with the exact same circumstances, and the exact same choices, I'm maintaining as little responsibility as humanly possible in anything resembling a public facing action until the legal process is played out. Finding Beard at fault for not expressing more contrition by the UT legal department makes perfect sense. But for people commenting on the arrest and firing to point at that as some kind of failing on Beard's part is not a realistic view of the circumstances, in my opinion.

Not sure how much of any of this matters. He's gone and eventually I'll move on, too. Especially if we can manage to knock this next hire out of the park. But I do find it an interesting intellectual exercise. Also, I'm interested in seeing if Beard does bring a wrongful termination lawsuit against UT, even with all the legal hurdles in the way, or whether he moves on to another job - and IMO he's going to get some great opportunities if the charges are dropped, which I believe they will be. Or both, which is also possible. UT will never allow a wrongful termination lawsuit from Beard to go in front of a jury, so either they will get the lawsuit dismissed, or there will be some kind of settlement. 

In any case, he has his whole life in front of him to express some level of contrition. Especially after the legal proceedings are done. It doesn't even have to be genuine to be effective. By his own admission he's not wired to be a reflective guy. He's one of those people that you know bullshit is spewing from his mouth if his lips are moving (as someone who has some of the same characteristics, I can relate). I'm curious to see what his approach is to this watershed moment in his life from a public perspective. I'm not going to be emotionally invested in it, because I long ago realized I didn't believe the things Beard said, but I am going to be interested in seeing what his approach ends up being, and how that reflects on him as a person.

picard too long didnt read GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, NAVY said:

Today has taken a very weird turn. I think I will go do yard work and think about the mistakes I’ve made 

Look, man... Chris Beard has already fucked all Texas basketball fans up the ass; I'm just trying to stay on topic, here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Maybe it is time to move on from Beard talk and look to the future.

No offense, but we'll never move on from Beard talk in my lifetime. In the end it's a personal choice, but as a community? Honestly, we'll be talking about Beard after he's dead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, That Guy said:

Probably stating the obvious but beard needed some pr crisis input rather than just his criminal defense attorney releasing statements on his behalf. Beard should have made a statement that, while he looks forward to being cleared criminally, he understands that his actions were inappropriate and he is remorseful and that he plans to use the suspension as a starting place to begin counseling for him personally and with randi as a couple. Some contrition that his actions were unacceptable and his plan to work on himself. Perry did him no favors and I’m sure Chris realized that about 10 am Friday morning. 

Disagree. His only option was to plead to being the victim. 

“I was physically attacked. I hit no one. I strangled no one.  The bite marks were defensive.  I defended myself to get away from my attacker. “

Randi gets tossed under the bus but it was his only shot. 

Having zero idea what the truth was, he was fired the moment she dialed 911. Even if every word turned out to be a lie. The he said she said can’t be cleared quickly enough or clean enough. 

Short of a video of Randi kicking his ass, he was fired no matter what. 

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well the occasional mentions like Charlie and Mensa are no big deal, but there are no current threads dedicated to them.

So here's the differences.

First of all, I guarantee you're wrong. I'm not going to go look for them, but the idea there's not dedicated threads to Charlie Strong or Tom Herman is...well it's just wrong, and I'll leave it at that. I certainly saw the Tom Herman one at the top of the page when he recently took the job at Florida Atlantic, and the subsequent awkward videos he made where he looks like he's now 160 lbs..

Second of all, those two were failures. I know some people pine for Tom Herman because he did better than Sarkisian, but it's a pretty small number. But even overlooking the dedicated Tom Herman thread, he gets mentioned all the time in the Steve Sarkisian whining threads. I don't get that even a little bit, but it's there. 

Chris Beard was in the process of hitting it out of the park on pretty much every front. He's also WAAAAAAAAY more accomplished in his profession as a basketball head coach than either one of those two. I'm also forecasting he's going to be wildly successful at this next stop. We talk about Rick Barnes on here all the time, and he has a string of 1st and 2nd round losses at Tennessee. Just wait until Chris Beard is regularly taking his next school to the Elite Eight and Final Four, and possibly winning national championships in the future. 

Third, it JUST FUCKING HAPPENED! He was fired in the middle of the season with a top 5 team? How often does that happen in college sports? It would be a big story on here if it happened somewhere else! 

I'm not telling you how to think. Move on from him. But you're being unrealistic in your expectations of the fan base. Not the Texas fan base specifically, mind you. ANY fan base. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I don't think it's in his best interest to sue University over this, but if he does, he'll claim he was fired because of a "disability" his wife has or some bullshit like that. These days, everything is a disability which absolves the individual of personal responsibility. Hell, our head football coach sued USC invoking a "disability" when the fact is he was just a drunk ass idiot.

People can sue claiming anything they want but lol at a guy getting fired for a public DV incident claiming disability. I’d volunteer to defend the University just for the lulz. Depositions would go… poorly for him

46 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

picard too long didnt read GIF

Yeah, it occurred to me that showing "contrition" could compromise his criminal defense, and that may well have been a factor there.

I also sense that he had this fixation that it didn't happen the way the police report reflected and therefore he would not be convicted, and because he wouldn't be convicted, he sh/wouldn't be fired.  So he's all like "that isn't what happened, I won't be convicted" and focused on that to the exclusion of other considerations.

But, contrition or not, the felony arrest provision of the contract is there for a reason and that reason is that the University is going to fire felony arrestees most of the time because it's a bad look, particularly for a hot-button issue in sports in DV.  

So, my hindsight-infected analysis of it is this was a pretty much foregone conclusion from the get-go, with some dithering by the administration/regents that might possibly have gone his way if there were more and better evidence of actual innocence/wrongful arrest.  But that was a slim chance.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

People can sue claiming anything they want but lol at a guy getting fired for a public DV incident claiming disability. I’d volunteer to defend the University just for the lulz. Depositions would go… poorly for him

Shit, I don't think it would get to discovery.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, it occurred to me that showing "contrition" could compromise his criminal defense, and that may well have been a factor there.

I also sense that he had this fixation that it didn't happen the way the police report reflected and therefore he would not be convicted, and because he wouldn't be convicted, he sh/wouldn't be fired.  So he's all like "that isn't what happened, I won't be convicted" and focused on that to the exclusion of other considerations.

But, contrition or not, the felony arrest provision of the contract is there for a reason and that reason is that the University is going to fire felony arrestees most of the time because it's a bad look, particularly for a hot-button issue in sports in DV.  

So, my hindsight-infected analysis of it is this was a pretty much foregone conclusion from the get-go, with some dithering by the administration/regents that might possibly have gone his way if there were more and better evidence of actual innocence/wrongful arrest.  But that was a slim chance.

I'm fully on board with this. 

Listening to Beard, I always felt like there was some resentment towards the Tech community for not having more appreciation for what he did there, rather than being angry/resentful of him leaving for Texas. It showed to me he has huge blinders on when it comes to how other people are going to perceive his decisions. That wasn't the only case, either. It was simply the most blatant. I'm sure the same characteristic imbued his relationships, too. Likely influenced the events which led to his termination. 

There had to be some sense on his part of, "I've poured my heart and soul into this job, this community, and this administration for the last year and a half. Yes, this is an unfortunate, terrible incident, but of course the people I've been associated with are going to be loyal and back me on this, just the way I would for them. It's going to be rocky, but we're going to get through it to the other side and learn some lessons from all of this." 

I don't know this, and it's not like I'm having personal conversations with Beard right now, but I can almost guarantee you there's a sense of betrayal on his part. That he's been stabbed in the back by a lot of people that he thought would have his back when the time came. I'm interested to see how that plays out in the future. Beard is not a reflective person. He's very deft at deflecting personal questions that would lend themselves to introspection. I would imagine that continues in the future. Nonetheless, there's going to be stuff that leaks out, I'm almost certain of it. It's going to be an ongoing conversation topic no matter how much he will want it dropped. And it's going to make a huge mark on him. This whole experience is going to be one of his biggest defining moments of his life. Even if he wins a national championship, questions about this are going to follow him even there, and he will constantly have to be making decisions about how he wants to handle it. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Listening to Beard, I always felt like there was some resentment towards the Tech community for not having more appreciation for what he did there, rather than being angry/resentful of him leaving for Texas. It showed to me he has huge blinders on when it comes to how other people are going to perceive his decisions. That wasn't the only case, either. It was simply the most blatant. I'm sure the same characteristic imbued his relationships, too. Likely influenced the events which led to his termination. 

There had to be some sense on his part of, "I've poured my heart and soul into this job, this community, and this administration for the last year and a half. Yes, this is an unfortunate, terrible incident, but of course the people I've been associated with are going to be loyal and back me on this, just the way I would for them. It's going to be rocky, but we're going to get through it to the other side and learn some lessons from all of this." 

I don't know this, and it's not like I'm having personal conversations with Beard right now, but I can almost guarantee you there's a sense of betrayal on his part. That he's been stabbed in the back by a lot of people that he thought would have his back when the time came. I'm interested to see how that plays out in the future. Beard is not a reflective person. He's very deft at deflecting personal questions that would lend themselves to introspection. I would imagine that continues in the future. Nonetheless, there's going to be stuff that leaks out, I'm almost certain of it. It's going to be an ongoing conversation topic no matter how much he will want it dropped. And it's going to make a huge mark on him. This whole experience is going to be one of his biggest defining moments of his life. Even if he wins a national championship, questions about this are going to follow him even there, and he will constantly have to be making decisions about how he wants to handle it. 

Yep, seems like he's going to be Bobby Knight II, great coach, but  . . . . .

23 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Your assessment is correct, but his ideas are fucking insane.

It's Bullshit.  he was beloved.  Remember lifetime contracts and shit?  he was begged to stay.

He chose to fucking leave to Tech's most bitter rival... and he somehow thought that would be forgiven, much less embraced?

LOLz.  He must have one hell of a fucking self-image within his own mind.

Even then, his basketball prowess was still regarded very highly.  But as a person, no, he wasn't respected for the way he left.  That wouldn't have happened anywhere.  Sorry.  It just wouldn't.  

That notion is just fucking insane.  but fitting.

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Your assessment is correct, but his ideas are fucking insane.

It's Bullshit.  he was beloved.  Remember lifetime contracts and shit?  he was begged to stay.

He chose to fucking leave to Tech's most bitter rival... and he somehow thought that would be forgiven, much less embraced?

LOLz.  He must have one hell of a fucking self-image within his own mind.

Even then, his basketball prowess was still regarded very highly.  But as a person, no, he wasn't respected for the way he left.  That wouldn't have happened anywhere.  Sorry.  It just wouldn't.  

That notion is just fucking insane.  but fitting.

We are your most bitter rival?   Probably gonna need to hit the books and find another soon if that is truly the case.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

We are your most bitter rival?   Probably gonna need to hit the books and find another soon if that is truly the case.

In Big XII Basketball?  Texas is( was) certainly in the conversation, whether y'all like it or not.

You're not wrong either towards the future.

Edited by slorch

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

While I don't care seems like Tech and OSU need to gin up some real hate for each other.  

I was about to comment on Frog and Poke, but sizzlechest seems to think I'm taking over the thread.

yeah, Tech will never hate them like what there is towards aggy and Texas.  Not even close.

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

In Big XII Basketball?  Texas is( was) certainly in the conversation, whether y'all like it or not.

TCU-Tech-Baylor-Ok St. should be pretty good rivalries in all sports. 

35 minutes ago, slorch said:

Like it or not? We don’t care at all. Your school is a blip on the map to Texas and nothing more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Like it or not? We don’t care at all. Your school is a blip on the map to Texas and nothing more. 

Gotdammit you dense motherfuckers.

With regard to Chris Beard's departure from Tech, there was no worse destination in the opinion of virtually every Tech fan.

Is it that hard to fucking reconcile?

Beard knew it.  Y'all fucking knew it.  It didn't really matter from UT's perspective.  Understood; but it sure as hell affected Red Raider opinions on Beard.

Add that in on Beards apparent amazement that he wasn't further embraced in West Texas post- Plainview McMuffin and it just adds to his evident psychological issues.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

No offense, but we'll never move on from Beard talk in my lifetime. In the end it's a personal choice, but as a community? Honestly, we'll be talking about Beard after he's dead. 

Anybody have him in their ‘23 death pool?

Glenn Close GIF

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Bullshit.  Going out of your way to deny it is clue number one, but of course plenty of Texas fans care.  

It's fascinating to me how sports fans spend so much time caring about shit at the same they're profusely denying they care at all.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Augustus said:

Bullshit.  Going out of your way to deny it is clue number one, but of course plenty of Texas fans care.  

It's fascinating to me how sports fans spend so much time caring about shit at the same they're profusely denying they care at all.  

I can't think of one Texas fan who gets too worked up about Tech. 

Either I’ve completely misinterpreted all of the Tech related posts, or today I learned that there’s a whole raft of Tech fans out there that believe Texas fans consider Tech as more than just an afterthought.

I’m actually really surprised. It’s pretty obvious Texas fans care about OU and A&M, but the rest of you Frogs, Raiders, Bears, etc are just noise, basically irrelevant to us.

Although do we actively root for rape enablers and hypocrites to lose. But so far, Tech hasn’t yet appeared on our radar for those offenses. Tech is basically the place where all the poor academic students in the state go. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I’m embarrassed every time we lose to Tech and indifferent when we beat them.  Not sure where that puts me. 

In a boat with me.  The only teams I openly will root against are ou and aggy.  Everyone else, depends on whether it helps or hurt Texas.  Tech is in the same boat as TCU, Houston,  SMU, Iowa st etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Either I’ve completely misinterpreted all of the Tech related posts, or today I learned that there’s a whole raft of Tech fans out there that believe Texas fans consider Tech as more than just an afterthought.

I’m actually really surprised. It’s pretty obvious Texas fans care about OU and A&M, but the rest of you Frogs, Raiders, Bears, etc are just noise, basically irrelevant to us.

Although do we actively root for rape enablers and hypocrites to lose. But so far, Tech hasn’t yet appeared on our radar for those offenses. Tech is basically the place where all the poor academic students in the state go. 

Idiotic, pompous response on multiple levels. 

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi