Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

So you can state that Terry being retained was sensible, but in your world that's not an endorsement, and if anyone else suggests that hiring Terry was the right thing to do, we are all delusional and clearly think Terry was the ideal candidate for the job?  

you just will not stop moving the goal posts and changing our own argument, and then you want to get upset at me for it. it's crazy. 

and if anyone else suggests that hiring Terry was the right thing to do, we are all delusional and 

DUDE. I have said that hiring terry was the right thing to do. you know this. you're acknowledging it right now. so where do you come up with this idea that i've claimed that anyone who says he was the right hire is delusional? again, you continue to move the goal posts and change your argument with every new posts that you make. 

and clearly think Terry was the ideal candidate for the job? 

those are your words dummy! i'm literally just replying to what you said. you said that you, and cdc, and bunches of other people have all decided that RT's 3.5 months at Texas is more indicative of who he is as a HC than this 10 years at utep and fresno. that's what you said! and now you're upset at me for acknowledging that? you can't even stick to your own story dude.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Just put the fuckstick on ignore. It's beyond obvious he has clear mental issues.

baby need a bottle? what a lame ass cop out that's behind okayed out by now. you guys say stupid shit, you change your own illogical arguments post by post, you move the goal posts, and then when i point out that what you say is totally illogical you just go, "derka's crazy, put him on ignore." i guess that's a lot easier than just admitting to yourself that what you're saying makes no sense.

Hiring him was the only option because of what he accomplished this season, the lack of other quality options, and the support from media, fans, current and former players. All these factors that contributed to the decisions are fleeting but forceful enough to pressure an admin to act. Doesn't mean the admin would have made this decision if the external pressure was absent, like they probably wouldn't have hired him away from another school. Why is this concept so difficult to understand?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/4/2023 at 8:21 AM, idigTexas said:

Clearly someone thinks those 3.5 months at Texas mean more than the his 10 years as a head coach at other schools...a lot of someones, actually. 

this is what you said. this is what we're supposed to be talking about. CDC, and you, and the majority of our fans think that what RT did with beard's roster for half of a season means more about him as a HC than his previous 10 years as a HC. now you're in here just totally incredulous that i would claim that you and cdc and most of our fans think that RT is the best man for the job. and i'm the crazy, irrational one? okie dokie!

and then when i call you out on talking out of both sides of your mouth and changing your own arguments you just play the crazy person card and move the goal posts ten feet further. that's crazy self delusion bro. it just is. own what you've said, and stop being upset at me for replying to your very own words.

They also got him cheap, making it a no brainer decision. Very few people will blame CDC if Terry doesn't work out, but if he went with another coach and he didn't work out, can you imagine the second guessing? Now we can hope that Terry gets to carry the momentum into the next few years, so we don't see an immediate drop off in team performance. If the team continues to slide, buy him out cheap after 3 years. This perhaps was as easy a hiring decision as ever by CDC.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

They also got him cheap, making it a no brainer decision. Very few people will blame CDC if Terry doesn't work out, but if he went with another coach and he didn't work out, can you imagine the second guessing? Now we can hope that Terry gets to carry the momentum into the next few years, so we don't see an immediate drop off in team performance. If the team continues to slide, buy him out cheap after 3 years. This perhaps was as easy a hiring decision as ever by CDC.

If Sean Miller was the other guy, good luck selling him over RT to the masses, especially after RT beat him.  I know resume wise, it's not even close, but RT painted CDC into a corner by....winning.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If Sean Miller was the other guy, good luck selling him over RT to the masses, especially after RT beat him.  I know resume wise, it's not even close, but RT painted CDC into a corner by....winning.  

He earned it for sure. Kudos to him for forcing CDC's hands. CDC was smart enough to not overpay. Some here were saying we would pay the market rate ($5M+), but that's not how CDC rolls. We are not A&M.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you just will not stop moving the goal posts and changing our own argument, and then you want to get upset at me for it. it's crazy. 

DUDE. I have said that hiring terry was the right thing to do. you know this. you're acknowledging it right now. so where do you come up with this idea that i've claimed that anyone who says he was the right hire is delusional? again, you continue to move the goal posts and change your argument with every new posts that you make. 

those are your words dummy! i'm literally just replying to what you said. you said that you, and cdc, and bunches of other people have all decided that RT's 3.5 months at Texas is more indicative of who he is as a HC than this 10 years at utep and fresno. that's what you said! and now you're upset at me for acknowledging that? you can't even stick to your own story dude.

I'm honestly worried about you. I apologize about bringing up our fight over Sam yet again. I hope can you step away from this for a few days and take stock of your mental health. It's not worth it. Take care. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

He earned it for sure. Kudos to him for forcing CDC's hands. CDC was smart enough to not overpay. Some here were saying we would pay the market rate ($5M+), but that's not how CDC rolls. We are not A&M.

Agree.  He didn't deserve 5 million a year.  Not yet anyway.  Like I've said ad nauseum, do I think he's a top 20 coach?  Probably not.  did he win the job?  Yeah he did and we would've had to do some explaining if we hired a guy he just beat or even Calipari. 

This thread seems to have gone off the rails for some reason. There are only 2 facts that matter, RT earned  the job by having the most successful season in 15 years at Texas. It doesn't matter what your opinion of him was before he got the job, he proved he could do it while on the job. Now this is sports and college athletics in particular so it just means he has to prove it all over again next year. Go jerk off to your Chris Beard fantasies someplace else this is a forum for Texas sports and Beard is no longer our coach because he proved he couldn't handle the job

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This thread seems to have gone off   Go jerk off to your Chris Beard fantasies someplace else this is a forum for Texas sports and Beard is no longer our coach because he proved he couldn't handle the job

nobody here is jerking off to chris beard fantasies. this whole idiotic argument started after i made a post lamenting that beard, an empirically elite coach, fucked our program by being an idiot and getting arrested for felony DV. it is absolutely normal and downright logical for a Texas basketball fan to be very happy with the job that RT did, to believe that RT has earned the Texas job/that he was the most sensible hire, to be excited for the future, and to still believe that we'd be in better shape had Beard not f'd this entire situation up. nobody should have any issues with that.

however, many people here do take issue with that line of thinking, and the fucking witch hunts that take place every time someone so much as insinuates that beard screwed us or that RT isn't on his level is what's derailing this thread.

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this is what you said. this is what we're supposed to be talking about. CDC, and you, and the majority of our fans think that what RT did with beard's roster for half of a season means more about him as a HC than his previous 10 years as a HC. now you're in here just totally incredulous that i would claim that you and cdc and most of our fans think that RT is the best man for the job. and i'm the crazy, irrational one? okie dokie!

and then when i call you out on talking out of both sides of your mouth and changing your own arguments you just play the crazy person card and move the goal posts ten feet further. that's crazy self delusion bro. it just is. own what you've said, and stop being upset at me for replying to your very own words.

What?  Do you even read what you write?  Probably not, as you obviously don't read what others do. 

Another poster had stated that Terry's previous head coaching experience was the most important factor in determining Terry's qualifications for the head coaching job, and that it was an indication that his tenure would be unsuccessful.  

I responded with a sarcastic Nostradamus reference because no one knows the future...not you, not me, not even futureman.

I then added reasoning as to why Terry's previous coaching experience was not the most important factor in his hiring.  I mentioned that no one thinks Terry would have been offered the job prior to this season.  I noted that after this season, Terry was hired.  Using logic, I therefore concluded that Terry's previous coaching record could not be the most important factor in his hiring, as he was obviously hired in spite of it.  It was a simple logical argument not at all based on Terry's actual qualifications.  You referring to my position as illogical is funny as hell to me, as it clearly went right over your head. 

That is all my initial post was intended to say.  Since then, you have been relentlessly arguing against points I never made.  I do feel that hiring Terry was the best decision given the circumstances and lack of any obvious slam dunk alternatives.  That does not mean that I think he is the perfect person for the job.  He's not.  He has a lot to prove.  I think most would agree with that, and would agree with me that he deserves the opportunity to do so.   

Me re-explaining my comments again and again because you clearly aren't understanding what I am trying to convey is not moving the goalposts.  It is merely a way-too-determined effort to reason with someone who is incapable of ever seeing it.  I know better, but you aren't the only one who struggles with letting things go.

Some of us prefer to focus on the positives, even during the darkest of times.  The Elite Eight run was a nice reminder that sometimes we can have nice things.  Reading a bunch of negative shit about why the person we just hired to run our program for the foreseeable future is doomed to fail is harshing my mellow, man.  Make it stop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

nobody here is jerking off to chris beard fantasies. this whole idiotic argument started after i made a post lamenting that beard, an empirically elite coach, fucked our program by being an idiot and getting arrested for felony DV. it is absolutely normal and downright logical for a Texas basketball fan to be very happy with the job that RT did, to believe that RT has earned the Texas job/that he was the most sensible hire, to be excited for the future, and to still believe that we'd be in better shape had Beard not f'd this entire situation up. nobody should have any issues with that.

No one has argued against any of that...except maybe the jerking off part. 

7 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

No one has argued against any of that...except maybe the jerking off part. 

I don't think anyone has questioned Chris's coaching or stated that Rodney is better.  Hell, as a stand alone, I'm sure Sean Miller is more qualified, but again, good luck selling that.  Though, I don't think Chris is a 50 year old savant prodigy.  That doesn't mean I think he's a horrible coach.  I even think Randy likely pushed him way too far and got flak for that.  Upon further review, I don't really hold Rodney's Fresno and UTEP stint against him though.  

58 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I would love to see what a world where derka gets along with people looks like.

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Even his multiple personalities hate each other.

I don't have a problem with Derka.  I have a problem with people who continually engage him with the intent of provoking a reaction.  We know how it goes.

Maybe the 2nd statement quoted there is in good fun, in a surly way, taking a shot to make people laugh.  If it's not and it's just targeting an issue the dude has openly discussed in the community; that's bullshit.

Dude doesn't need lil ole me white-knighting him, but gotdam, he's not a douchebag and he's about as candid as it gets with regard to discussing hoops, especially UT hoops.  Again, who the fuck am I?  Just wanted to say that comment is kinda fucked up.

When we disagree, why the fuck do we have to be dead-set on marginalizing folks?   Fuck that.  Be better.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I don't have a problem with Derka.  I have a problem with people who continually engage him with the intent of provoking a reaction.  We know how it goes.

Maybe the 2nd statement quoted there is in good fun, in a surly way, taking a shot to make people laugh.  If it's not and it's just targeting an issue the dude has openly discussed in the community; that's bullshit.

Dude doesn't need lil ole me white-knighting him, but gotdam, he's not a douchebag and he's about as candid as it gets with regard to discussing hoops, especially UT hoops.  Again, who the fuck am I?  Just wanted to say that comment is kinda fucked up.

When we disagree, why the fuck do we have to be dead-set on marginalizing folks?   Fuck that.  Be better.

when did slorch get so woke

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I have no idea if Derka is mentally ill or not, I have had him on ignore for a few years now. I don't know anything about the dude, other than seeing his posts when other people quote him and they are like fucking novels with conflicting plotlines.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

Please don't tell people how they should act, think or post. That's @Pancho's job.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I do feel that hiring Terry was the best decision given the circumstances and lack of any obvious slam dunk alternatives. 

I'm sure someone more connected than I (tread: pretty much anyone) knows if we reached out to the Wrights and Donovans of the world.  I assume we did, and got shot down.  Hiring a jackass like Miller over RT would have looked really bad.

John Riley is allegedly joining this piece of shit woman beater at Ole Miss......is that a big loss for us or could we improve basketball S&C?

It’ll be a shock to all of you when I say I don’t know shit…..but it would seem this is among the least of our priorities. Sure, a crappy S&C coach would be bad, but is there really that much difference between the “great” ones and the “very good” ones that translates on the court? Seems like this should be the easiest to replace.

rodney terry and todd wright are great friends, and Coach Wright has plenty of disciples and connections out there. i'm not worried about finding a new S&C coach.

in fact speaking of Wright, he's the best in the business and rick barnes lost him when he moved to Tennessee and barnes's steams haven't missed a beat S&C wise. he hired TW protege Garrett Medenwald, as we all know those boys in Tennessee are some friends ass men. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I assume Todd Wright is out of the question, given his NBA gig?

Dude is intimidating.  My daughter went to elementary school with his kid.  (Bo Davis & Ricky Williams both had sons there at the time, too.  The average kid didn't stand a chance.)

you're mistaken here. TW is a friend/mentor of mine, and i worked at the school where his kids went and where his wife was also a teacher. ricky and bo's kids went to our rival school, st.stephen's.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you're mistaken here. TW is a friend/mentor of mine, and i worked at the school where his kids went and where his wife was also a teacher. ricky and bo's kids went to our rival school, st.stephen's.

I'm not mistaken.  Highland Park Elementary School, west central Austin.

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's right, they joined our school when their youngest was in 2nd or 3rd grade, not first. 

That sounds right.  I think one was my son's age, two years younger than my daughter.  Bo's kid (I think he's a "Bo" as well) was in her grade & class.  Dude was about 5'11" in the 5th grade and probably shaving.  Ricky's kid Prince was the same age, I believe.  Ricky didn't come around much.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, UTEE97 said:

I too was glad to see RT's contract cost was not out of line... agree cdc handled that part correctly

On 4/6/2023 at 12:24 PM, shadow_operative said:

rodney terry and todd wright are great friends, and Coach Wright has plenty of disciples and connections out there. i'm not worried about finding a new S&C coach.

in fact speaking of Wright, he's the best in the business and rick barnes lost him when he moved to Tennessee and barnes's steams haven't missed a beat S&C wise. he hired TW protege Garrett Medenwald, as we all know those boys in Tennessee are some friends ass men. 

Yup. Get someone from the Wright tree and we are doing fine. Just a different way of looking at S&C than most. 

On 4/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

John Riley is allegedly joining this piece of shit woman beater at Ole Miss......is that a big loss for us or could we improve basketball S&C?

Is this where we make jokes about his towel budget? Never seen a man abuse so many towels in my life.

Just now, Js1 said:

More than Gary Patterson?

Somebody made a meme about it on the Tech boards back when he was on with Beard. It's pretty fucking funny but for the life of me I cannot find it. People were constantly joking about how he's eroding a spot on our arena floor with his towels constantly slapping against it when he's pumped up.

Some of you are discounting the S&C job for some reason. It's actually one of the most important staff positions overall, since the S&C coach spends way more time with the players than any of the coaches do. You need a guy who is completely aligned with what the head coach is trying to accomplish in terms of culture. A lot of what everyone enjoyed about this team this year was built during their time with Reilly. I know some of you saw all of his social media uploads, where he changed up the workout routines to make them more fun and exciting. 

Also, apparently Beard hired another former assistant in Wes Flanagan who has been an assistant at his alma mater, Auburn, for the past 5 years. 

He's built a pretty good staff at Ole Miss. Not as good as the staff he built at Texas, but with Reilly coming on board, it looks pretty stout to me.

Also, put me in for a vote for team Derka. 

On 4/9/2023 at 4:42 AM, SL Xpress said:

Some of you are discounting the S&C job for some reason. It's actually one of the most important staff positions overall, since the S&C coach spends way more time with the players than any of the coaches do. You need a guy who is completely aligned with what the head coach is trying to accomplish in terms of culture. A lot of what everyone enjoyed about this team this year was built during their time with Reilly. I know some of you saw all of his social media uploads, where he changed up the workout routines to make them more fun and exciting. 

Also, apparently Beard hired another former assistant in Wes Flanagan who has been an assistant at his alma mater, Auburn, for the past 5 years. 

He's built a pretty good staff at Ole Miss. Not as good as the staff he built at Texas, but with Reilly coming on board, it looks pretty stout to me.

Also, put me in for a vote for team Derka. 

ftr i'm not discounting the position, more assuming that RT- a Rick Barnes disciple and close friend of Todd Wright- will both know the value of an elite s&c guy and will have the proper connections to make a home run hire.

for anyone who may not know- back in the olden days there was no basketball-specific s&c coach. most schools would just have the football s&c guy work for the basketball team as well. it was Rick Barnes and Todd Wright who changed all of that by pioneering the Basketball S&C Coach position. in fact Barnes told Clemson that he would only take the job if Wright could come on as his sole head of S&C. today that is standard practice, and Barnes continues to lead the way in S&C in college hoops, while Wright is the most sought after name in s&c in the NBA, currently working for the Clippers. so with all of that being the case, i've just been assuming this entire time that RT will be willing and able to find an elite replacement at the position.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ftr i'm not discounting the position, more assuming that RT- a Rick Barnes disciple and close friend of Todd Wright- will both know the value of an elite s&c guy and will have the proper connections to make a home run hire.

for anyone who may not know- back in the olden days there was no basketball-specific s&c coach. most schools would just have the football s&c guy work for the basketball team as well. it was Rick Barnes and Todd Wright who changed all of that by pioneering the Basketball S&C Coach position. in fact Barnes told Clemson that he would only take the job if Wright could come on as his sole head of S&C. today that is standard practice, and Barnes continues to lead the way in S&C in college hoops, while Wright is the most sought after name in s&c in the NBA, currently working for the Clippers. so with all of that being the case, i've just been assuming this entire time that RT will be willing and able to find an elite replacement at the position.

Maybe. I have no idea how good at S&C work Reilly was technically, but he was hell on wheels in terms of imparting a culture. Not saying he was bad at S&C work. Carr alone was a good example of outstanding S&C work over the past year. And he was completely and utterly on the same page with Beard, as evidenced by the fact he's leaving Texas to go to Ole Miss. 

That's what you need in an S&C guy IMO. Someone who is so bought in that they'll be your advocate and voice when you're not around. That's not to defend Beard for what he did. It's simply to say he had that part figured out in ways I'm unconvinced Terry does. But we'll see. 

Mostly I'm just saying there's a lot of dismissiveness going on regarding the S&C coach that I don't agree with. Now, I'm hardly the end all be all. I simply have a difference of opinion regarding the importance of that hire and the loss Reilly represents. Although if he's that gung ho in joining Beard, better now than later. It's a good thing he's leaving, in that sense. Gives Terry a chance to build his team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi