Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

I agree with you. Dude is a great coach and makes shitty personal life decisions. 

I had insight we were getting Beard from somebody he’s tight with. I posted about it, somewhat vaguely.  Same person told me to pay close attention to all of the bar hopping the minute he arrived. We were blinded like an Aggie, by someone we felt “finally got what it meant to coach at Texas”.  Do I think she’s nuts….yep. Was this just a matter of time? Yep

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

I had insight we were getting Beard from somebody he’s tight with. I posted about it, somewhat vaguely.  Same person told me to pay close attention to all of the bar hopping the minute he arrived. We were blinded like an Aggie, by someone we felt “finally got what it meant to coach at Texas”.  Do I think she’s nuts….yep. Was this just a matter of time? Yep

That's funny.  I know someone in Chris's circle and they said Randi was going to be his downfall.  Welp.

14 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

You can always create a new thread, "So what's that Chris Beard guy up to nowadays, anyway?"

It's not like he's going to go away as a topic. 

There is something to be said for a fresh start. Plus the specific topic has changed somewhat. 

Edited by Viper

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Liberty also isn’t getting rid of their coach. 

woah, no kidding. dude has won conference 3x since they moved to ASUN and has lost 11 total games in those 4 full seasons (not talking about this year at all) - would have qualified for the Tournament all 4 years without COVID. currently tied for 1st in conf.

was at liberty from 07-09, then associate HC at UVA from 9-15 then back at Liberty since 15. you are right, unless he leaves they aren't getting rid of him - even for Beard

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ole Miss is officially open

Smart.  Don't let Kermit have the chance to make a run in the SECT and make the NCAAT to save his job.  Weirder things have happened, like Dennis Felton making an SECT run with a 4-12 conference record at UGA in 2008 and making the NCAAs, and they just ended up firing him in 2009 midseason. Get a head start on at least interviewing Beard before anyone else, while also being able to keep eyes and an open mind on tournament performance by other targets. 

48 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I doubt they'll give Beard any consideration.  That school only employs coaches with impeccable morals.

Well, it is Mississippi.  Choking a bitch to teach her a lesson is probably considered the moral thing to do. Spare the rod, spoil the wife and all that. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

a lot of y'all still don't seem to realize how immense the loss of chris beard is.

I think all but the most casual fans realize how crushing it was to lose Beard.  I mean just a horrible horrible gut punch to the program.  I am convinced we will never find a more perfect fit of a coach in my lifetime.  And his defense is a thing of beauty. Perfectly orchestrated team defense. Some prefer a great offensive identity, but for me Beard's system was perfection.  Smothering defense and slow but VERY efficient offense.  

Dec 12 (on my birthday!) was probably my worst moment as a UT fan/alumni.  That includes the hoops loss to ACU, Route 66, the loss to evil superman Roy Williams, Colt's knockout at Alabama, etc.  The only thing close was the Big-12 title game in 2001 when fans were throwing beer bottles at Chris Sims. Similar to Beard, that was both a sports loss and a UT embarrassment. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think all but the most casual fans realize how crushing it was to lose Beard. 

Yeah, there aren't many people who think we'll just plug in another good coach who will continue the trajectory of our basketball program that Beard had set.  We could hire the best of the realistic candidates that folks have been throwing around, and I think most of us expect to take a huuuuuuuge step back in performance and recruiting.  I'll consider us incredibly lucky if we get back to the Rick Barnes level of Texas basketball over the next five years.

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think all but the most casual fans realize how crushing it was to lose Beard.  I mean just a horrible horrible gut punch to the program.  I am convinced we will never find a more perfect fit of a coach in my lifetime.  And his defense is a thing of beauty. Perfectly orchestrated team defense. Some prefer a great offensive identity, but for me Beard's system was perfection.  Smothering defense and slow but VERY efficient offense.  

Dec 12 (on my birthday!) was probably my worst moment as a UT fan/alumni.  That includes the hoops loss to ACU, Route 66, the loss to evil superman Roy Williams, Colt's knockout at Alabama, etc.  The only thing close was the Big-12 title game in 2001 when fans were throwing beer bottles at Chris Sims. Similar to Beard, that was both a sports loss and a UT embarrassment. 

Mine is 14th. Gut punches lol 

Part of me likes the thought of keeping Terry because for the most part he has kept the culture going that Beard started. Yes, our defense isn't as good. But there is continuity and the results have been outstanding so far.  But the risk is VERY high that we take a big step back next year and never get back to this level in his tenure.

If we bring in another coach it is almost certainly going to be a full reset.  Maybe that reset will be better (hopefully) than what we get with Terry.  But it could also take us down the Shaka / Strong / Herman / Sark path.  Of course Terry himself could take us down that path too.

The truly annoying thing is that under no scenario, new coach or keeping Terry, will we be better off than we were 3 months ago. And we likely never will be again.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!

I think it is only casual basketball fans that don't realize how big the loss of Beard is in the long-term. I think the rest of us are crossing our fingers and praying to the basketball gods that we hit paydirt on the next basketball coach.

Edited by KingBobo81
Sorry - didn't see HookEm's post that said the exact same thing
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The truly annoying thing is that under no scenario, new coach or keeping Terry, will we be better off than we were 3 months ago. And we likely never will be again.

Beard, Terry or new coach, the chances of having this experienced of a roster again is basically nil unless we hire someone who can recruit 4 year players and sprinkle in one and dones. Allen, Bishop, Disu, Carr, Brock just have so much experience that’s hard to replicate. 

Yes.  And the Covid year allowed us to not only cherry pick the transfer portal for seniors, but then get them for TWO years.  

I think with NIL and the evolving transfer environment, Texas is going to have its pick of experienced players if we want to go down that path.  (This is assuming we get a competent recruiter, which I don't think is an absolute given). This is part of the reason why I don't like Calipari. He dominates the high school scene, but I don't think he is a master at the transfer portal. 

Beard is about as good as it gets with transfers, and has been for a while.  At least this staff has proven that they can also go out and get transfers.  Unsure how much of it was Beard and how much was the staff.

The roster and culture reset will most likely happen no matter who the new coach is. You can't assume the current assistants will stay on if we keep Terry. There will also be a massive roster turnover. The "continuity" some expect under Terry most likely won't be there. That's why you can't glean much from this year's results. It will be a new team with perhaps new assistant coaches no matter who the head man is.

34 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

The roster and culture reset will most likely happen no matter who the new coach is. You can't assume the current assistants will stay on if we keep Terry. There will also be a massive roster turnover. The "continuity" some expect under Terry most likely won't be there. That's why you can't glean much from this year's results. It will be a new team with perhaps new assistant coaches no matter who the head man is.

Yup replacing probably 75% of a roster and staff is tough for any coach. I'm not getting too excited about a guy with basically a career .500 record in 10 years prior to Texas. I'll give Terry all the credit in the world for keeping the wheels on and the car pointed in the correct direction. That's an entirely different task than building the car from scratch. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

a lot of y'all still don't seem to realize how immense the loss of chris beard is.

Meh.  Wanna know how many times we were told to get over it in Lubbock?

You might just be fine on the other side...

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Beard to Ole Miss is probably in play. 

It's going to be pathetic how many SEC schools fire their coaches to make a play for Beard. 

He’s a good coach but is in no shape or form sui generis. Given his documented restlessness, he’s likely to be a journeyman coach who resurrects moribund programs, leaving exhausted ADs and former wives/girlfriends in his wake. That’s who he appears to be.

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He’s a good coach but is in no shape or form sui generis. Given his documented restlessness, he’s likely to be a journeyman coach who resurrects moribund programs, leaving exhausted ADs and former wives/girlfriends in his wake. That’s who he appears to be.

I don't buy that at all.  Beard's head coaching stops:

Community college

Junior College

Semi-pro

McMurry University (D3)

Angelo State (D2)

Arkansas - Little Rock (D1)

Texas Tech (D1)

University of Texas (D1)

doesn't scream "journeyman" to me.  It screams "ladder climber" (and in a good way).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Beard to Ole Miss is probably in play. 

It's going to be pathetic how many SEC schools fire their coaches to make a play for Beard. 

Just in time for UT to join the SEC.

I may have to buy a ticket to the first Ole Miss game at Moody if Beard is the coach.  I'll have no dog in the fight...just there for the entertainment.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Community college

Junior College

Semi-pro

McMurry University (D3)

Angelo State (D2)

Texas Tech (D1)

University of Texas (D1)

doesn't scream "journeyman" to me.  It screams "ladder climber" (and in a good way).

His journeyman penchant was masked by what was generally viewed as his upward trajectory. He’s has Larry Brown written all over him.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Community college

Junior College

Semi-pro

McMurry University (D3)

Angelo State (D2)

Texas Tech (D1)

University of Texas (D1)

So more likely somewhere until Kentucky opens up. It’s really the only blue blood I can see looking past the reputation. He’ll either take a job for a year until UK opens up or sit out until Calipari and UK part ways. Which is sooner rather than later 

• Hook 'Em 1

Let's put the bourbon and loaded handguns away shall we?

First - despite being in an upper, upper echelon Chris Beard is not the only good basketball coach in the country - even among those that will entertain the idea of coaching at Texas.

Second - a lot of you are underrating or choosing to be ignorant of how much of a fucking napalm-soaked trainwreck Shaka's tenure was here. We could hire a retarded, dead donkey to sit on the sidelines and it would probably win more than zero tournament games in six seasons at Texas. All the next coach has to do is show up to work and answer phone calls and Texas will get a 5 star every other cycle at a minimum. 

Third- Texas just built a brand-new, badass basketball arena that presents a legitimate, basically quantifiable HCA. And behind the scenes has a former player worth half a billion dollars that remains engaged with the program to a pretty high degree (not to mention all of the other former and current NBA players that hang around the program).

I don't think whoever the next coach is has a run as good as what Beard would have put together - but it's also much more likely that the next guy has a Barnes-type run or better rather than replicate whatever the fuck Shaka did here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So more likely somewhere until Kentucky opens up. It’s really the only blue blood I can see looking past the reputation. He’ll either take a job for a year until UK opens up or sit out until Calipari and UK part ways. Which is sooner rather than later 

Well, I think he fucked himself out of his own trajectory.  He might have been looking beyond Texas to an elite blueblood, or he might have seen Texas as a terminal position, simply because it's his alma mater.  Now, I think he'll have to settle, save perhaps that UK job should they dump Cal.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I think he fucked himself out of his own trajectory.  He might have been looking beyond Texas to an elite blueblood, or he might have seen Texas as a terminal position, simply because it's his alma mater.  Now, I think he'll have to settle, save perhaps that UK job should they dump Cal.

Some people are all about their alma mater. Some are not. (See the Old Ball Coach)

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi