Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Aren't 911 calls subject to public records requests?

The lawyers here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they can keep them from the public during the active part of the investigation, and then if it goes to trial, or doesn't go to trial, they become public then?

Or something along those lines?

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Texas legal won't trade any money with anyone in this matter.  It will just chuckle at attempts from Beard's lawyer to extract it. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You're in the minority because you're not paying attention. He has no grounds to sue. None. Zero. This is not even arguable.

I mean, anyone can sue anyone else for any reason, as long as they have the money to pay their attorneys and attorneys dumb enough to take the case.

11 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Kind of curious about the part of Minton's letter referring to CDC assurance that he thought Beard was innocent.  Wonder what kind of documentation they have on that?

Probably a bit of a stretch from something like "We believe Coach Beard when he says he didn't choke his wife. We are currently investigating the matter and will keep you informed of any decision that is made." But even if CDC truly believed it and made the statement exactly as Milton claims, it doesn't change the grounds for termination. If there was any possibility of retaining him, there needed to be a massive show of understanding, contrition from Beard about the embarrassment to the program, and a solid plan for moving forward at some point in the future. But from what Milton's letter shows, there's been little, if any, of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Rimbo said:

I mean, anyone can sue anyone else for any reason, as long as they have the money to pay their attorneys and attorneys dumb enough to take the case.

Of course, but he will get exactly as much money from UT as Mike Leach got from Tech. Texas didn't violate his contract, he did.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, SquishMitten said:

Probably a bit of a stretch from something like "We believe Coach Beard when he says he didn't choke his wife. We are currently investigating the matter and will keep you informed of any decision that is made." But even if CDC truly believed it and made the statement exactly as Milton claims, it doesn't change the grounds for termination. If there was any possibility of retaining him, there needed to be a massive show of understanding, contrition from Beard about the embarrassment to the program, and a solid plan for moving forward at some point in the future. But from what Milton's letter shows, there's been little, if any, of that. 

I’m all fairness, Minton was probably telling him to not make any statements while the charges were hanging over him. I really don’t take his silence as lack of contrition  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You have a very clear misunderstanding of what's going on here. His innocence or guilt is immaterial. Getting arrested is more than enough cause for UT to fire him. Full stop, end of story.

Is it, did you read Minton's letter?  He's arguing on what the word "charged" means.  In his opinion it doesn't mean being arrested.  I have no idea the definition because I'm not a lawyer, but if Minton is right that's a big fuck up in the contract.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Of course, but he will get exactly as much money from UT as Mike Leach got from Tech. Texas didn't violate his contract, he did.

Agreed on that point.  He will likely only end up with both sides disclosing some embarrassing facts, unless UT is willing to pay him something to avoid that.

11 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

If UT is going to stay out of court, they are going to have to prove they win even assuming the facts are as Beard alleges.  So assuming that he alleges that he is totally innocent and never did anything physical, then what is the conduct unbecoming?  Being falsely accused of a crime and then being falsely imprisoned for that crime?

Obviously that is probably not what happened, but if UT is going to avoid a trial altogether, it's difficult to do on a loose standard like "conduct unbecoming."

Not really, because ....

10 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You have a very clear misunderstanding of what's going on here. His innocence or guilt is immaterial. Getting arrested is more than enough cause for UT to fire him. Full stop, end of story.

Although, I would argue that the simple act of getting arrested isn't ALWAYS grounds for termination. There are lot's of ways someone could be wrongly arrested and it not be grounds for termination. But the nature of this particular arrest is not one of those. There's no way to ever truly show it was wrongful or that he was totally innocent. Hell, just being in the type of relationship where your partner is capable of doing the alleged act (calling the cops and filing a false police report) shows tremendously poor judgment. 

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Is it, did you read Minton's letter?  He's arguing on what the word "charged" means.  In his opinion it doesn't mean being arrested.  I have no idea the definition because I'm not a lawyer, but if Minton is right that's a big fuck up in the contract.

That's called grasping for straws.  Beard is fucked, but he's paying Minton so he's going to come up with something because he likes taking lots of money from rich people.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

If UT is going to stay out of court, they are going to have to prove they win even assuming the facts are as Beard alleges.  So assuming that he alleges that he is totally innocent and never did anything physical, then what is the conduct unbecoming?  Being falsely accused of a crime and then being falsely imprisoned for that crime?

Obviously that is probably not what happened, but if UT is going to avoid a trial altogether, it's difficult to do on a loose standard like "conduct unbecoming."

UT doesn't have to prove anything. Beard and his team are going to be the ones to prove his conduct somehow didn't reflect poorly on the University.

• Like 2

Just now, JesusSweatDuck said:

He's pissing into the wind. Beard was arrested, his mugshot and a video of him in shackles and a jail uniform were all over national news. That's what matters, and that's how he violated his contract. That's the cause to fire him. Everything else is just details that don't materially matter with regard to his firing.

I am struggling to grasp why this is so hard to understand.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I’m all fairness, Minton was probably telling him to not make any statements while the charges were hanging over him. I really don’t take his silence as lack of contrition  

Agreed. I was not talking about public contrition. I'm talking about behind the scenes. I obviously don't know what went on there, and as I stated, I was basing my opinion purely off the Milton letter. From that, I don't get the sense that Beard was making his case for retention based on anything more than the charges being dropped.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

That's called grasping for straws.  Beard is fucked, but he's paying Minton so he's going to come up with something.

☝️

Even if the contract specifies "being charged with a felony" as an example of behavior unbecoming the position, that language doesn't mean the university is limited to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's pissing into the wind. Beard was arrested, his mugshot and a video of him in shackles and a jail uniform were all over national news. That's what matters, and that's how he violated his contract. That's the cause to fire him. Everything else is just details that don't materially matter with regard to his firing.

I am struggling to grasp why this is so hard to understand.

Tell me you're not a lawyer without telling me you're not a lawyer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Although, I would argue that the simple act of getting arrested isn't ALWAYS grounds for termination. There are lot's of ways someone could be wrongly arrested and it not be grounds for termination. But the nature of this particular arrest is not one of those. There's no way to ever truly show it was wrongful or that he was totally innocent. Hell, just being in the type of relationship where your partner is capable of doing the alleged act (calling the cops and filing a false police report) shows tremendously poor judgment. 

Just to be clear, assuming he did not harm anyone, you are saying that UT's conduct unbecoming that led to termination would be choosing the wrong person to date?

16 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Even if they legally can, I doubt they would.  A&M got Jimbo because they were willing to offer more guaranteed years.  If coaches know those guarantees are not worth anything, it will be difficult to get the same level of coach.

It doesn't matter as much for Tech, because Tech is generally not looking to hire that quality of coach, so the guarantee matters less.

aggy could fire Jimbo today if it wanted. aggy would be on the hook for every last dollar remaining on Jimbo's contract unless he's fired for cause so those "guarantees" given to him are worth more than $80M by my count.

9 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Minton is going to extract his pound of flesh one way or another.  Was stupid to do this before the Jan 18th hearing.  

Why is it so hard to understand that the outcome of the criminal process Beard is involved in has jack shit to do with his continued employment as the Texas head basketball coach?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

UT doesn't have to prove anything. Beard and his team are going to be the ones to prove his conduct somehow didn't reflect poorly on the University.

That's not legally correct.  The employer has the burden of proving the cause when firing an employee for cause.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

aggy could fire Jimbo today if it wanted. aggy would be on the hook for every last dollar remaining on Jimbo's contract unless he's fired for cause so those "guarantees" given to him are worth more than $80M by my count.

That whole discussion was bout claiming sovereign immunity.  A&M could get out of the contract by firing him for cause and then not have to prove the cause because of sovereign immunity.  Like I said, I don't think they would do that, but they can because Texas has crazy strong sovereign immunity laws.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

That whole discussion was bout claiming sovereign immunity.  A&M could get out of the contract by firing him for cause and then not have to prove the cause because of sovereign immunity.  Like I said, I don't think they would do that, but they can because Texas has crazy strong sovereign immunity laws.

Gotcha. Missed that part. Yes, it could try that route. It would absolutely knee-cap them when it came to trying to find a replacement for Jimbo.

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi