Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

3 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

That's probably only part of it.  My guess is that he would also have had to express remorse and contrition for the incident, and agreed to undergo anger management and/or substance abuse counseling while on suspension.  The fact that he, through his lawyer, continued to contend that he did absolutely nothing wrong, and would be found completely innocent indicates that none of this was going to happen, and the fact that there are now photos of him in a prison jump suit standing before the man indicate that he did, in fact, do something wrong.

I disagree.  The only way he kept his job is if there was sufficient evidence to make the public reasonably believe that he had no fault in the incident.  Like the police starting to investigate Randi because she claims she bit herself.  Again, it was just never going to happen as stated in my post.   Contrition, Anger Management, etc. is what he should start doing now in order to help him get his next job.  That is exactly why Texas gave him the opportunity to resign.  He could have released a statement still proclaiming innocence of any crime but contrition for the situation and taking steps to improve himself.  Instead, his reaction has been litigation threats and signaling this will get messy.  I have zero doubt his lawyer explained all of this to him and this is the path that Beard is choosing to take so far.  Maybe he will calm down when he realizes fighting Texas on this will absolutely have a negative impact on his ability to restart his career.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

The fact that it seems like the relationship that resulted in a phone call to police and a felony domestic violence charge isn't going to be over is more than enough for me to say UT made the right call.

especially when there is other shit out there that says they can't control their behavior in public or anywhere else

I think that is why Texas did not talk to him or the GF......they found enough credible bullshit from the past that they probably should have known about or knew about and  chose to look past and put the clause on the contract specifically for this very reason

now that shit hit the fan, CB is acting like "it was just a misunderstanding" and there is plenty of shit to suggest there will be more "misunderstandings" well it is time to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

?????????

Coaches and players families frequently travel on road trips with teams

Yep. Imagine how that looks her sitting in the stands and the camera pans to her and he’s coaching and one of the broadcaster/announcer people mentions the incident. Great look. But that’s just if DA decides not to pursue it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Texas decided that Beard showed an insane lack of judgment by not having broken things off with his psycho gf years ago, and they determined that the odds of something happening again were simply too great for Beard to be retained. and from what i've heard, yes, a decent part of that has come from Beard's own reaction to all of this. once the University realized that Beard wasn't going to come in with his tail between his legs begging for forgiveness, and instead was going to try and plead his case (and according to some he wouldn't even promise that things were done between him and randi), they were really left with no choice but to fire him for cause, before he does something equally stupid in the future. 

also, fwiw, while his team probably would have eventually gotten over it and welcomed him back, his players were not happy with the events of NYC, so when the shit continued back at home and even escalated to the point of a DV dispute resulting in a felony charge, the guys on the team were already just about done with any patience they were having for Beard and his insane lover. the guy fucked us. 

What exactly happened in NYC?

2 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Honestly, he's so talented that I think it's going to be next season unless some small/middling program gets ahead of the game and hires him this year.  Luis Suarez bites Chiellini in the 2014 World Cup...........his club, Liverpool, releases him..........within days he signs with Barcelona and wins The Champions League that season.........that seems to be the way these situations play out and it has never made a lot of sense to me.  I guess it does make sense to the rest of the world.....  

Liverpool didn’t release Suarez. And his sale to Barcelona wasn’t related to the bite.

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

an extremely fucking inappropriate and bonkers display that was so out of control the AD said that she wasn't allowed to come to anything in any official capacity anymore and that he needed to get his shit together.

There was another not official UT, but lots of UT folks involved public altercation that was way over the line that happened within a few days of the arrest as well. The meltdown to fans was "behind closed doors" but to UT was out in the wide fucking open.

I'm not going to say a whole lot more than this, but I wasn't joking in my posts before when I said "wait until you learn about xyz...", some of you took that as sarcasm. Chris Beard undoubtedly deserved to get fired and was unfit to be the coach. Think Tom Herman shit, but instead of being a jackoff dickhead that the fans hated because he didn't win he won more and was a fan favorite because he did fan focused shit. 

The players have been less than amused with Chris Beard, just like they were with Tom Herman, the difference is in basketball the 1 and done culture or 2 and done culture is what gets you championships so it doesn't make a fuck whether you like the guy all that much or not as long as he puts you in a position to win and get drafted. Tom Herman was bleeding talent that needed to stick around for at least 3 years. 

so knowing all that, this would be a lot more like "would you have wanted to fire tom herman had he been arrested for DV?" than you want to believe. 

Sounds like good content for the next podcast!

Chris Beard had me excited about Texas basketball for the first time since 2007. Unfortunately for everyone involved, he made poor decisions that show that he is unfit to represent The University of Texas.

Best case scenario is that he’s been in a serious relationship with a crazy person for 3+ years, and that relationship has become physical on at least one occasion, and even if he didn’t start the fight on that particular occasion, he remained in the house and engaged her to the degree that the police who responded felt there was enough to justify arresting him. Even if he’s 95% innocent, he failed to leave the house and remove any doubt about aggression on his part, and if he were to remain as coach, we would constantly wonder when the other shoe would drop, and our opponents would constantly criticize us for employing a man who is aggressive towards women. Perception is reality with these things.

Worst case scenario is that he actually does have anger problems and he actually did assault her or choke her.

I was shocked and saddened when this story first broke, but I am proud of The University of Texas for responding appropriately and prioritizing being a decent human being over athletic performance. We will be better off without him. No amount of basketball wins are worth having this as the face of our program.

For anyone saying “Poor Chris Beard…”, he is not the first person in history to have a promising career derailed by poor personal relationships. It’s very difficult to achieve professional success while having a toxic home life. Even if she is the aggressor, he has some major shit to figure out if he ever wants to coach again.

For anyone thinking The University did the wrong thing, get your priorities straight.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I think so, too.  They’re unbelievably bad under Payne and have a history of moral ambivalence in their hires anyway.  Especially if they decide to wait until next year instead of firing Payne in year 1, they’re the best basketball school job coming available that would make a Beard hire.

Understatement of the week.

15 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Sounds like good content for the next podcast!

There's a podcast?

I want to hear more about the over-the-top incident in NYC.  Just interested to see how it compares with some of the experiences I've had to deal with in the past concerning crazy women who don't care about the scene they make in public.

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

an extremely fucking inappropriate and bonkers display that was so out of control the AD said that she wasn't allowed to come to anything in any official capacity anymore and that he needed to get his shit together.

There was another not official UT, but lots of UT folks involved public altercation that was way over the line that happened within a few days of the arrest as well. The meltdown to fans was "behind closed doors" but to UT was out in the wide fucking open.

I'm not going to say a whole lot more than this, but I wasn't joking in my posts before when I said "wait until you learn about xyz...", some of you took that as sarcasm. Chris Beard undoubtedly deserved to get fired and was unfit to be the coach. Think Tom Herman shit, but instead of being a jackoff dickhead that the fans hated because he didn't win he won more and was a fan favorite because he did fan focused shit. 

The players have been less than amused with Chris Beard, just like they were with Tom Herman, the difference is in basketball the 1 and done culture or 2 and done culture is what gets you championships so it doesn't make a fuck whether you like the guy all that much or not as long as he puts you in a position to win and get drafted. Tom Herman was bleeding talent that needed to stick around for at least 3 years. 

so knowing all that, this would be a lot more like "would you have wanted to fire tom herman had he been arrested for DV?" than you want to believe. 

So the DV arrest was the tip of the proverbial iceberg, is what you're saying (and is usually the case).  Beard handed the admin the perfect silver bullet to can him knowing the other stuff.

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Am I alone in thinking he never wins a national title? That’s a hard thing to do even if you’re really good. Also think he’d bolt for the pros in a few years.

I'm not totally convinced Beard would have taken us to the promised land. He's proven he can turn around programs quickly and coach elite defense.  He still has yet to replicate that one year wonder run at Tech. Shaka Smart recruited well and made a FF once too.

I will be curious to see how he does at the scummy school who hires him next. Beard is a bristly prick at best, and may have NPD or something if he truly believes he did nothing wrong here. He might be the type whose act wears thin after 3 or 4 years. Thats why I'm disappointed but not devastated over losing Beard.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

So my question is what all did Tech “tolerate”because they were winning?

Nothing.  We all heard that Randi was BSC, but there hadn't been anything really public and no police interaction (that we know of).  Actually, we really didn't know much about Randi at all until she got fired from her coaching job.  That's when the talk really started, but then Beard had an Egg McMuffin at the Plainview McDonald's a few months later and the rest is history.  Most of the Randi stories came out from Wolfforth people after the fact.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, immamac said:

The players have been less than amused with Chris Beard

FWIW, there were very similar rumblings in Lubbock his last 2 seasons with us. Even before that, really, but everyone ignored it because we were winning big. I have mostly avoided discussing them on this board because there's no way I could have engaged in that conversation without it appearing to be sour grapes, even though that would not have been my intent. I know for a fact that Beard's behind the scenes attitude and personal drama cost us Kyler Edwards, and that it was a virtual certainty we would not have had Kevin McCullar or TJ Shannon last year had he stayed.

Obviously the overall positives outweighed the negatives, but the smoke was there for anyone to see if they cared to look hard enough.

e: Also, Beard had frequent and (from what I hear) loudly negative interactions with the Tech compliance office about quite a few issues, though I am unsure of exact details.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 4

I still want to "learn about xyz".  i think most coaches are jackoff dickheads, but don't think anybody's been fired for only being that. Usually takes the lack of winning, losing the team, oh, I don't know...DV charge to go along with it.  But I don't believe UT was glad they were handed the silver bullet because they already deemed him unfit to lead unless xyz is some crazy shit.

Edited by PantsTent
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So my question is what all did Tech “tolerate”because they were winning?

Also the Texas spotlight is bigger. It just is. Oh and we have local media that is pretty hostile to Belmont 

All the Mark Adams drama has been Reddit/message board fodder. The Statesman would have had reporters camped out outside of Adams’ home if it was happening in Austin. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, 76Jayhawk said:

As an outsider I look at what Texas has done from the very beginning to now and I think they handled this whole situation just about as perfectly as they could.

First statement was "aware of situation, gathering information blah blah"

Second act was to suspend the coach without pay while gathering information.

Once the information was gathered, sat on it and waited for Beard/lawyer to say something (verbally or written) that gave them the out they needed without having to pay him a single dime and immediately terminated him.

Acutely aware of the situation UT has been and handled it perfectly.

Thank you for that praise. It means a lot coming from an outsider. 

We all eagerly await the Kansas administration taking similar action against Bill Self for arranging illegal under the table payments for basketball recruits. (Voiceover - “the admin did nothing”). Oh. Nevermind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I'm guessing, as most of you are, Beard sits out entirely for 2023-24.  "works on himself", journaling, counseling, etc.

If I’m in my dream job banking millions a year, I would have done all of this as soon as I hit campus and not after I’ve screwed myself and my employer.

I hope Beard decides to do the suggested remediation but I think that realistically, it would be for show and the behind the curtain crapfest will continue.

Another frustrating thing is that his professional performance was kicking ass until his personal life bled into the job. It’s like a Shakespeare play or a Greek tragedy. 

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also the Texas spotlight is bigger. It just is. Oh and we have local media that is very hostile to Bellmont. 

All the Mark Adams drama has been Reddit/message board fodder. The Statesman would have had reporters camped out outside of Adams’ home if it was happening in Austin. 

FIFY

For over half a century the local media has been very hostile to Bellmont. Nothing new, unfortunately.  Lulz.

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

If I’m in my dream job banking millions a year, I would have done all of this as soon as I hit campus and not after I’ve screwed myself and my employer.

I hope Beard decides to do the suggested remediation but I think that realistically, it would be for show and the behind the curtain crapfest will continue.

Another frustrating thing is that his professional performance was kicking ass until his personal life bled into the job. It’s like a Shakespeare play or a Greek tragedy. 

How many days until a photo of Beard and Art Briles doing something together comes out?  Lulz.

3 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Honestly, he's so talented that I think it's going to be next season unless some small/middling program gets ahead of the game and hires him this year.  Luis Suarez bites Chiellini in the 2014 World Cup...........his club, Liverpool, releases him..........within days he signs with Barcelona and wins The Champions League that season.........that seems to be the way these situations play out and it has never made a lot of sense to me.  I guess it does make sense to the rest of the world.....  

Suarez got three bites.  The first was while he was with Ajax in 2010.  Liverpool actually signed him while he was under suspension by the Dutch league for that bite.  While with Liverpool, he also bit Chelsea’s Ivanovic in 2013, served a 10 game suspension, but stayed with the club for another season and was named league player of the year.  I don’t recall Liverpool wanting to get rid of him, rather he wanted to go to Barca.

All that said, I now think Beard should go abroad for a few years and coach in Spain, Italy, or Brazil.  Come back rehabilitated and able to speak another language.

The gossipy side of me would love to hear the NYC stuff and whatever else there is. At the same time, those details won’t change my opinion we absolutely did the right thing in firing CB. I’m mad at him (her too) but mostly him. He blew it. People can get upset and be frustrated over the decision to fire him but be mad at CB. If my employer said after an incident to get my shit together and not bring my BF around to any company functions I would absolutely expect to get fired if a few days later 911 is called and I am arrested (whether I was the aggressor or not.) 

You only get so many warnings and it sounds like with this relationship he burned through a lot of goodwill at Tech and got his ass fired from Texas. Clearly, he does not get it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 83Horn said:

And one more thing...why the fuck was she in NYC with the team?  Since when did people start taking their significant others on business trips?

All the families of the coaches, all that could make it at least, flew up that Sunday morning before the Tuesday game against Illinois. 

1 hour ago, 89Horn said:

Suarez got three bites.  The first was while he was with Ajax in 2010.  Liverpool actually signed him while he was under suspension by the Dutch league for that bite.  While with Liverpool, he also bit Chelsea’s Ivanovic in 2013, served a 10 game suspension, but stayed with the club for another season and was named league player of the year.  I don’t recall Liverpool wanting to get rid of him, rather he wanted to go to Barca.

All that said, I now think Beard should go abroad for a few years and coach in Spain, Italy, or Brazil.  Come back rehabilitated and able to speak another language.

He was suspended by FIFA for 6 months after the bite. But the move to Barca had been on the cards since the previous season when he signed an extension with Liverpool. Most believed there was a gentleman’s agreement that he would play one more year at LFC and then get his wish to go to Barca. He was sold for 75 million pounds.

Edited by hobbes2702

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi