Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

… and miss a chance to beat Texas twice a year?  I wouldn’t discount that possibility as a factor.  Besides, why would he want to fuck around with shitty upstate NY winter weather?

He and Randi will murder each other in the dead of winter in upstate NY

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Kiffin and Beard as the major coaches of your athletic programs - what great mentors of young people.

What, they can’t find a WBB coach who tortures puppies and a baseball coach who drives drunk? 

You either have a standard or you don't. I'm glad Texas does.
They kept Augie after a DWI. So i guess they only have standards to whatever line they draw in each situation. Because being arrested and mugshots are not the line.

I'd rather have a good coach than not have one. I'm not going to pretend to care about what a coach does in his own home or in his own life.

I don't care about a DWI or a domestic situation. Mainly because I don't care about those people in general as sports is only entertainment. Caring about it more than that is a waste of time.

Beard will use Ole Miss as a stepping stone and will be at an even better situation in 3 to 5 years. No one cares about this stuff. It was a non existent story a day after it happened until Texas fired him.

But hey, we can get that holier than thou trophy. Those are fun to celebrate.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

They kept Augie after a DWI. So i guess they only have standards to whatever line they draw in each situation. Because being arrested and mugshots are not the line.

I'd rather have a good coach than not have one. I'm not going to pretend to care about what a coach does in his own home or in his own life.

I don't care about a DWI or a domestic situation. Mainly because I don't care about those people in general as sports is only entertainment. Caring about it more than that is a waste of time.

Beard will use Ole Miss as a stepping stone and will be at an even better situation in 3 to 5 years. No one cares about this stuff. It was a non existent story a day after it happened until Texas fired him.

But sign stealing, that's where you draw the line.

• Haha 4

"I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed about the hiring of a bad coach. It can be frustrating and disheartening when the people in charge of a team or organization make choices that don't align with our expectations or hopes.

It's important to remember that sometimes, despite careful vetting and research, hiring decisions don't work out as planned. However, it's also important to voice your concerns and feedback in a constructive manner. Consider sharing your thoughts with the decision-makers in a respectful way, outlining your reasons for why you believe the coach may not be a good fit and offering suggestions for improvement.

In the end, it's up to the organization to decide how to proceed, but speaking up may help to ensure that your concerns are heard and taken into account." ChatGTP

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jesus Fucking Christ you are an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Mississippi sucks. Enjoy that shithole.

He's been living in Mississippi for a while now, in Tim Floyd's place. Oxford is actually a really nice college town.

I hope he completely implodes there, but if he doesn't, he's going to build a winner right up until he leaves for Kentucky. 

Don't forget, he'll be coming to Moody at some point. That won't be weird at all. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Finding a great basketball coach isn’t easy…no guarantees.  Coach K comes to mind at Duke…great coach there…He retires, and you’d think Duke would find another potential good coach…this year, Duke isn’t even ranked….perhaps the coach will be a really good one at some point…..guess you just have to roll the dice sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Finding a great basketball coach isn’t easy…no guarantees.  Coach K comes to mind at Duke…great coach there…He retires, and you’d think Duke would find another potential good coach…this year, Duke isn’t even ranked….perhaps the coach will be a really good one at some point…..guess you just have to roll the dice sometimes.

KU is the only program in the country that apparently has it "figured out," going from Larry Brown, to Roy Williams, to Bill Self. 

UNC looks like they have another potential Doherty on their hands. 

You
tell me a story about a basketball coach named Chris going to Mississippi, getting into a fight with his girlfriend when she tries to organize his man cave, and then becomes strung out on meth

ChatGPT

Once upon a time, there was a basketball coach named Chris.  Chris had just gotten a new job coaching at a college in Mississippi. He was excited to start fresh and build a winning team.

Chris' girlfriend, Randi, had come with him to help get settled in. She was a neat freak and loved organizing things. One day while Chris was out recruiting players, Randi decided to tackle the messy man cave in their new home.

When Chris came home later that day, he found Randi reorganizing his man cave without permission. He became angry and yelled at her to leave his stuff alone. Randi  tried to explain that she was just trying to help, but Chris wouldn't listen. They got into a heated argument, and Chris stormed out of the house.

Feeling angry and frustrated, Chris went to a local bar to unwind. There, he ran into a few locals who offered him some methamphetamine. Chris had never done drugs before, but he was feeling reckless and decided to give it a try.

Soon, Chris became addicted to the drug, spending all his time and money on it. His coaching suffered, and his once-promising career began to fall apart.

One day, Randi came to visit Chris at his office and was shocked by how much he had changed. She begged him to get help, but Chris refused. Their relationship deteriorated, and Randi eventually left him, unable to watch him spiral out of control.

Chris lost his job, his reputation, and his friends. He hit rock bottom and realized too late that his anger and addiction had cost him everything he loved. He checked himself into rehab and worked hard to turn his life around, but the damage was already done.

From then on, Chris vowed to never let his emotions get the best of him and to stay away from drugs. He learned the hard way that life can be unpredictable and that making the wrong choices can have disastrous consequences.
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

KU is the only program in the country that apparently has it "figured out," going from Larry Brown, to Roy Williams, to Bill Self.

That's pretty fucking phenomenal from 1983 to the present.  40 fucking years of elite coaches and sustained success.  It looks like the Jayhawks' worst record over that time was 19-12 in Roy Williams' first season ever as a head coach, the only year they missed the tournament during that span.  And Roy went 30-5 the following year, and took his team to the title game in his third year.

I know people will say, "Yeah, but it's Kansas, one of college basketball's historical blue bloods.  Sure they're going to attract the best coaches and perform at a high level every year."  But look at the blue bloods of college football and basketball, and I can't think of another program that had that high level of success over coaching transitions during that 40 year period.  Almost all of them have had downturns and bad hires. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's pretty fucking phenomenal from 1983 to the present.  40 fucking years of elite coaches and sustained success.  It looks like the Jayhawks' worst record over that time was 19-12 in Roy Williams' first season ever as a head coach, the only year they missed the tournament during that span.  And Roy went 30-5 the following year, and took his team to the title game in his third year.

I know people will say, "Yeah, but it's Kansas, one of college basketball's historical blue bloods.  Sure they're going to attract the best coaches and perform at a high level every year."  But look at the blue bloods of college football and basketball, and I can't think of another program that had that high level of success over coaching transitions during that 40 year period.  Almost all of them have had downturns and bad hires. 

Ohio State in football has been even more remarkable. There was nothing particularly special about the Ohio State football program prior to WWII. In 1951 they hired Woody Hayes who is considered one of the greatest college football coaches of all time. He stepped down in 1978 after punching Clemson noseguard Charlie Bauman. 

After that they had Earle Bruce, John Cooper, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, and now Ryan Day. There was Luke Fickell's one year as an interim coach where he went 6-7, so I guess if you count that they had a down year. But it's not like the guy has ended up being a bad head coach. It's like they sprinkle magic fairy dust in Columbus or something. I really do look forward to when they go into a dry spell because of hiring the wrong coach. Long overdue. 

But I consider KU in basketball and OSU in football to be fucking unicorns. The other one I always found remarkable was Miami's run with Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson, and Butch Davis. But it's been tough sledding for them since then. 

Hiring coaches is tough. There's nearly always a chance things are going to go sideways. Even sure things a lot of times don't turn out to be sure things. Although sometimes they do. The best you can do is hire the best candidate available who will take the job for the amount of money you're willing to pay. My problem is when athletic departments don't do that for other reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

It was a non existent story a day after it happened until Texas fired him.

it was covered on local news in the morning the whole week and still was covered while they were doing their investigation and touched on again when they fired him. if you think it was non-existent in local media (not local sports media, actual TV channels) you were not paying attention

Edited by NoName

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Maybe Texas Baseball from Falk to Garrido as well? 1946-2017

the issue is that in there you have 2 years of Blair Cherry (56.6 win%) and even Augie was "only" at 65.8 win%, Pierce is at 64.7%

here are tOSU's coaches since Hayes was hired in 1951.

• Hayes - 76.1 win%
  • Earle Bruce - 75.5%
  • John Cooper - 71.5%
  • Jim Tressel - 81.0%
  • Fickell for 1 interim season - 46.2%
  • Urban Meyer - 90.1%
  • Ryan Day - 88.2%

for comparison, DKR won 77.4% of his games. Mack won 76.7%

there is no run in modern history in hiring good coaches as good as tOSU over the last almost 70 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Baseball coaches have 50+ game seasons, versus 13-15 for NCAA football. Many more opportunities for losses when you play 3x as many games. 

absolutely and totally fair and reasonable. my bigger point was that even if it's really good, there isn't a streak like that anywhere in NCAA revenue generating sports.

5 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I hate clicking on this thread now. It makes me sick to my stomach. 

Really? My peak gut punch was the morning I found out he was in the slammer and why. I can't say it's gotten any worse since then. It might if he wins multiple national championships somewhere else, but that morning was pretty rough. "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away" became my Texas men's basketball theme song. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

From purely basketball winning perspective, his felony arrest made it more difficult to coach current players, recruit new ones to Texas, relate to fans, alumni, faculty, and work with this athletic department.

His credibility in Austin and the state (where we have many adversaries) was tarnished to say the least. And it was a huge distraction before conference play. A combo of vitriol against Beard and SEC Texas would be elevated. This impacts winning.

His ability to coach here at Texas and have basketball success would be difficult to say the least. Getting a fresh start in Oxford could work.

With all that being said, he’d be better off getting his life in order and sitting out a year.

Moreover, future success would be at risk given the chances of more offcourt issues and/or new revelations. This affects his ability to coach basketball here and made his success here less optimistic.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

With all that being said, he’d be better off getting his life in order and sitting out a year.

Except he doesn't think he did anything wrong and there's nothing wrong with his life or his relationship with Randi. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Except he doesn't think he did anything wrong and there's nothing wrong with...his relationship with Randi. 

You may be right, but it's not like we actually know that. 

He was in that guest bedroom in the first place for a reason, and the reason wasn't that he felt everything was hunky dory with his relationship. According to the affidavit, what started the whole thing is that he was trying to ignore her, she didn't like that one bit, and did/said things to make sure he wouldn't. Which is not to put the blame on her. But like Bill Burr says, while you should never hit a woman, the idea that a woman has never done anything to deserve to be hit is a different conceit altogether. The blame is Beard's in all kinds of ways. I just think a lot of people are assuming he's going to stay in this relationship until this explodes again, when that's not clear to me to be the case at all. Could be. But might not be. We just don't know. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoName said:

the issue is that in there you have 2 years of Blair Cherry (56.6 win%) and even Augie was "only" at 65.8 win%, Pierce is at 64.7%

here are tOSU's coaches since Hayes was hired in 1951.

• Hayes - 76.1 win%
  • Earle Bruce - 75.5%
  • John Cooper - 71.5%
  • Jim Tressel - 81.0%
  • Fickell for 1 interim season - 46.2%
  • Urban Meyer - 90.1%
  • Ryan Day - 88.2%

for comparison, DKR won 77.4% of his games. Mack won 76.7%

there is no run in modern history in hiring good coaches as good as tOSU over the last almost 70 years.

You can’t compare winning percentages between baseball and football.

I know college and mlb are different, but the best single season winning percentage in the history of MLB is 72%

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

You can’t compare winning percentages between baseball and football.

I know college and mlb are different, but the best single season winning percentage in the history of MLB is 72%

There's only 2 active coaches above .700 in winning %

None of the active coaches with 1,000+ wins are over .700 (.661 is the highest)

That's just baseball.  There's more opportunities for losses when you play 50+ games in NCAA, and 3 (or more) game against the same team in the same season. 

On 3/8/2023 at 9:06 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Nobody is celebrating, dumbass. We can go back and forth on DWI v. DV, but your mealworm brain apparently fails to understand the difference between the two incidents, so let me educate:

One was a misdemeanor DWI given to a 70 year old for failing to have his lights on and telling the officer he had drunk wine that evening. Said guy also publicly apologized and called it a "serious mistake" and served a suspension without complaint.

The other was a felony DV charge in post-#metoo 2023 against a guy with a known history of incidents that had previously publicly embarrassed the institution on multiple occasions with similar behavior. Said guy was also unrepentant and refused to accept any responsibility for the incident and using outside counsel to further drag the institution.

Still having trouble understanding the difference? Note the on-field performance is irrelevant in analyzing the contrast. You also seem to confuse following a sports team with upholding institutional standards. You obviously find caring about such things to be a waste of time, which says much more about you than it does about the rest of us.

I guess congratulations on putting your standards at the same level of people from a State that proudly and stubbornly rank #50 in nearly every meaningful statistic of life. Mississippi is a shithole place to live. Mississippians are backwater bigots that revel in that time they betrayed the country and long for the chance to do it again. Ole Miss basketball has 9 NCAA tournament appearances in 115 years as a .500 program, with ONE S16 as its highest achievement. Stepping stone or not, that is where Beard is getting hired while still one of the best in his field. If that's where a top flight coach desperate to get back in the game ends up, I would say the evidence is clear that Texas is not the only place that found his behavior unacceptable.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

If Ole Miss basketball hires Chris Beard, then win-loss record outweighs arrest record 

Blake Toppmeyer  USA TODAY NETWORK

b5bb11e1-cc58-4344-9712-3d8d66173f11-dcf

Texas men's basketball coach Chris Beard released from jail

A coach’s introductory news conference usually includes a few perfunctory thank-you's.  The coach thanks his family for their support, his new bosses for the opportunity and his past players and previous employer for the fun ride.

If Ole Miss hires Chris Beard as its men’s basketball coach, his introduction ought to include a few other thank-you's.

Beard can thank Perry Minton, the lawyer who represented him after his arrest on a felony domestic violence charge.

He can thank José Garza, the Texas district attorney who declined to prosecute Beard and dropped the charge.

He can thank Randi Trew, his fiancée who said she never intended for Beard to be arrested in December or prosecuted. Trew shouldered blame for the “physical struggle” that resulted in her 911 call, police allegations that Beard had strangled her and Beard’s firing at Texas. Trew later said Beard never strangled her.

We'll never know every detail of what occurred on the night of Beard's arrest, but we know this: Beard is available to coach college athletes again, and he ought to feel thankful – and fortunate – as he attempts to resurrect his career at warp speed.

Beard is Ole Miss’ top candidate for its vacancy, ESPN reported Wednesday, thanks to an industry where your arrest record matters less than your win-loss record.

In a span of three months, Beard can go from mugshot to teaching jump shots again.

Beard's alma mater fired him for cause in January, following his arrest. The prosecutor dropped the felony charge last month.

James Davis, the University of Texas vice president of legal affairs, wrote to Beard's lawyer upon his firing that the university deemed Beard's behavior "unacceptable" and that UT determined he was "unfit" to be its coach, regardless of whether the district attorney pursued charges.

Ah, but a coach who wins as often as Beard and who did not face criminal prosecution usually can find an administration willing to award a second chance. In slinks Ole Miss.

The Ole Miss administration would tell you, I'm sure, that it exercised due diligence in vetting Beard, and I don’t doubt it at least peeked inside Beard’s closet to count skeletons.

Apologists will do what they always do: They’ll speak of the need for second chances, and, hey, the charge was dropped.

But, let me ask this: If you learned your daughter or sister just got engaged to Beard, would you pop a bottle of bubbly and eagerly await the save the date? Maybe, but only if you didn't read the police report or your Google search failed to turn up Davis' letter that conveyed a stinging rebuke from Beard's alma mater.

Fortunately for Beard, he’s a proven winner with a Final Four on his resume. And, fortunately for Beard, Trew said she didn't want to pursue prosecution.

A December police affidavit cited Trew as saying a days-long argument had turned physical and that Beard choked her, bit her, caused bruises, threw her off the bed and went “nuts.”

Trew later apologized for breaking Beard’s eyeglasses and said that sparked the physical struggle. Beard acted in “self-defense,” Trew said, and he was not “intentionally” trying to harm her.

Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of the criminal justice system knows prosecuting a domestic violence charge without a victim who desires prosecution is futile.

Honoring Trew’s wishes, the prosecutor walked away from the case, saying the “felony offense cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Voila. Problem solved. The lack of felony prosecution made Beard hirable. So does his 237-98 career record that includes a 2019 national runner-up finish with Texas Tech.

Could Beard, 50, win at Ole Miss? He’d probably give the Rebels as good of a chance of success as anyone. He’s won everywhere he's coached, although thriving at Ole Miss inside an SEC that grows deeper and stronger might rank as his biggest challenge.

Beard would need to recruit nationally and internationally, and he’d have to do it for a program without much pedigree. Nearly every basketball program needs a broad recruiting base. Certainly, Ole Miss does. Beard recruited far and wide at past stops, but the best player on his 2019 Texas Tech team that won 31 games was an instate signee. Don’t count on that advantage at Ole Miss.

Beard's past success affords Ole Miss no guarantee. Auburn’s Bruce Pearl excels at a football school in a football-first state within a football-first conference, but other big-name coaches, like Ben Howland, Tom Crean and Cuonzo Martin, wilted in the SEC.

Jeremy Foley made the best SEC men’s basketball hire of the past three decades when he tapped Marshall’s 30-year-old coach to awaken Florida. Billy Donovan remains the last coach to win consecutive national championships. More recently, Alabama and Arkansas struck it big by hiring from midmajors, and Missouri is ascending in its first season after plucking Dennis Gates from Cleveland State.

Keith Carter is a smart athletics director and a former All-America basketball player for the Rebels. Surely, his Rolodex is thick, but hiring Beard would be unimaginative, not to mention imprudent.

Some would compare such a move to Carter hiring Lane Kiffin, but while the Ole Miss football coach is a renegade who hasn’t always colored inside the lines, equating these two is an insult to Kiffin. Show me the police affidavit that accused Kiffin of a violent assault against a woman.

The charge against Beard didn’t stick. For that, he ought to feel gratitude.

Blake Toppmeyer is an SEC Columnist for the USA TODAY Network. Email him at BToppmeyer@gannett.com and follow him on Twitter @btoppmeyer.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 3/9/2023 at 8:36 AM, South Austin said:

That's because the coaches had a big hand in picking their successors, not just the administration.  I remember Roy's first year and his remarks that his mentor was "calling him home", or something like that.  Same thing happened with DKR and Mack

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi