#7 Texas vs Rice 7pm on LHN

MuellerHorn

I don’t visit the basketball board much until today but just wanted to say that I’m extremely proud of these guys tonight given the current circumstances they are facing. It’s going to be a battle for the remainder of the season and I’m going to root my ass off for these players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn proud of this team. All of their goals are still reachable, just the road got a little more rocky. Luckily they get some much needed time to mentally comprehend everything that happened and still needs to happen. Really looking forward to them coming together and hopefully do something special.

• Hook 'Em 1

On nights like tonight you need guys like Carr that think they're better than they actually are and don't give a fuck. He was the only player on the floor that never looked passive or distracted and his game reflected that (maybe Brock too but Brock is never going to give you 28).

No matter what, Carr is going to go out there and ball and try and score as many points as he can. He doesn't play the game for his coach or his teammates or the fans - he plays it for himself. Sometimes that isn't a good thing. Tonight it was absolutely critical. 

He's a frustrating, up and down player but so far this season he's been more good than bad and hopefully that trend continues because we're going to need him in more games this season. 

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

On nights like tonight you need guys like Carr that think they're better than they actually are and don't give a fuck. He was the only player on the floor that never looked passive or distracted and his game reflected that (maybe Brock too but Brock is never going to give you 28).

No matter what, Carr is going to go out there and ball and try and score as many points as he can. He doesn't play the game for his coach or his teammates or the fans - he plays it for himself. Sometimes that isn't a good thing. Tonight it was absolutely critical. 

He's a frustrating, up and down player but so far this season he's been more good than bad and hopefully that trend continues because we're going to need him in more games this season. 

Rice has some nice assertive play down the stretch, Brock was consistent all game. They distanced in OT something they couldn’t do against Illinois - granted different level of competition - but still given the circumstances I think this was an extremely positive night on the court for the team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

but still given the circumstances I think this was an extremely positive night on the court for the team. 

I fear it's a really bad harbinger of what is to come.  There is a reason a guy like Chris Beard ascended the ranks so quckly, and came one game away from winning it all.  I don't think Rodney Terry has that in him, but ultimately, the shock to the team is going to dictate what happens going forward, and I doubt it will be in the right direction.  Guys are already thinking about declaring, transferring, whatever, and recruits are probably rethinking their positions.  That's all as it should be, but it still sucks for the program.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I fear it's a really bad harbinger of what is to come.  There is a reason a guy like Chris Beard ascended the ranks so quckly, and came one game away from winning it all.  I don't think Rodney Terry has that in him, but ultimately, the shock to the team is going to dictate what happens going forward, and I doubt it will be in the right direction.  Guys are already thinking about declaring, transferring, whatever, and recruits are probably rethinking their positions.  That's all as it should be, but it still sucks for the program.

Yeah the wheels probably come off but I enjoyed seeing them pull away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get all that but why was this game a harbinger? If we had won by 30 would that mean something different?

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not taking much away from tonight. I think it's pretty clear that Terry isn't as good of a coach as Beard, but if he can just be almost as good for a season then it might not be a total waste. 

These guys can't transfer mid season. If they want to sit out then fine. Is Mitchell or Arterio going to decide to just sit the season out? I don't think either of them are good enough prospects to do that (Arterio absolutely isn't). I mean, Mitchell is getting drafted but he isn't someone like Kyrie that can just shut it down and still go top 5. I guess either of them could go play overseas if they wanted. 

Who else would leave and why? Bumbruagh probably leaves but he was red-shirting anyway. We probably lose our recruits. You worry about that after you find the next guy. 

This team won't be as good sans Beard but that doesn't mean this season has to be a disaster. They looked a little shell shocked tonight but they didn't look like they didn't care and by the 2nd half they were playing hard and playing to win.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

All the players went to the locker room before The Eyes, only coaches on the court still. 

Probably a lot of emotions. I wouldn't want to hang out on the court either. 

(Or, apparently, they were going around thanking fans)

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I get all that but why was this game a harbinger? If we had won by 30 would that mean something different?

We looked like shit and I expect we will continue to do so.  And, to be honest, I can't blame the players or the (remaining) coaches.  The whole thing just sucks.

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Their cutting offense took longer to solve and the substitutions didn’t seem as timely.  But, duh.  That’s part of why Beard was a really good coach.  We just won’t be as good.  It’s going to lop a weekend off the end of the season.  

22 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Yeah, no controversy here. They ALL were going around thanking the fans.

And they basically did the same thing Saturday against Arkansas Pine Bluff. The basketball team doesn't sing the Eyes I guess. Doesn't matter, they don't have to.

They just went around high fiving the fans just like tonight.

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed. This is about more than playing a game. A good coach can have a lasting positive influence on his kids. A good coach should be a good role model.  For many kids, a good coach is there to listen about things that matter to them off the court and help them grow off the court. For some, a coach may be the only father figure in their life. The reason that most of these kids are here is because of the coach and I suspect that many of them feel betrayed.

It's not about kids transferring during the season but the impact of them now and how it will affect them at the end of the year. CDC has some tough decisions to make and the consequences can be negative for years. 

I’ve never liked anything that Galindo has done. He’s a giant douchbag. Last night he was so over the top with the constant mentions of the situation. I guarantee you that anybody who bothered to tune into the LHN to watch a basketball game vs Rice knew what had transpired. Why in the hell did he bring it up every 5 minutes? He had to be under orders from a higher up. Or maybe not. There’s a reason that es still in Austin and that the mothership hasn’t called him up. 

2 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I’ve never liked anything that Galindo has done. He’s a giant douchbag. Last night he was so over the top with the constant mentions of the situation. I guarantee you that anybody who bothered to tune into the LHN to watch a basketball game vs Rice knew what had transpired. Why in the hell did he bring it up every 5 minutes? He had to be under orders from a higher up. Or maybe not. There’s a reason that es still in Austin and that the mothership hasn’t called him up. 

I thought he and Blanks actually did a great job in the pregame informing everybody of the situation. I was pleasantly surprised and that was sufficient. I didn't get why it had to continually be reset the whole game.