RGIII Uses Racial Slur Live On Air

Vic Mackey

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So he meant to say "Bug-A-Boo" and this just 'slipped out'.....Riiiiight

Since when does bug a boo mean haters and doubters? 

I don't give 2 shits about cancel culture but he's a really terrible announcer and if this is what it takes to get him off my TV then so be it.  But I doubt it...

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Damn, hadn't heard that term since before my grandpa passed away.  

I'm sure Howard Cossell understands.

I have never heard the term bug a boos.

We need equality.  If a white person would be fired for it, so should RGIII.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Since when does bug a boo mean haters and doubters? 

I don't give 2 shits about cancel culture but he's a really terrible announcer and if this is what it takes to get him off my TV then so be it.  But I doubt it...

According to destiny's child a bug a boo is a pest, someone who won't leave you alone 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I like RG3, and hope he's back next season. He's not braindead like the Tim Brandos and Rod Gilmores of the world and has a more palatable level of "personality" than Pat McAfee. But maybe this'll get him to throttle it back just a tad, which I'd like.

Best I remember from his collegiate days, he was supposed to be very intelligent. Wasn't he considering law school and wanting to become a judge at one point?

I tend to tune out the analysts when watching games unless they're just blatantly biased. I just hate seeing a guy lose his job for saying something idiotic. 

Earlier this year during a Thursday night game the white ESPN pbp guy proclaimed that the Louisville QB, Malik Cunningham, was "shuckin and jivin" his way down the field. I was curious to see what would happen so I followed the guy on Twitter. People were tweeting at him and at ESPN so he/they were definitely aware. Crickets. No apology, no acknowledgement. Seems like sop in these situations is hope no one really notices and it goes away. 

It’s not even used in the “proper” context because he’s talking about doubters of Hurts who would most likely be white. Who knows what he was actually trying to say as his clarification also makes zero sense. I have a hard time caring, we’ll see what cancel culture has to say about it though.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Y’all are reaching. I literally had no idea what that word even meant. The guys on set were likely just as oblivious. 
Not even an RG3 fan, but come on

That term is a racist term whether you have heard it or not. Being oblivious to a racist term doesn't make any difference. It's been phased out in most vocabs but the meaning didn't go away. I honestly didn't know there was that many people who didn't know about this word. It went viral as soon as he said it. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jigga boo

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 7

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I like RG3, and hope he's back next season. He's not braindead like the Tim Brandos and Rod Gilmores of the world and has a more palatable level of "personality" than Pat McAfee. But maybe this'll get him to throttle it back just a tad, which I'd like.

I kind of like him too. He generally means well and just tries too hard sometimes with his commentary, which is driven by the incentive structure to stand out in that profession. His line after Roschon hurdled the defender on the way to the end zone in the Baylor game as a “Johnson on Johnson crime” was a good one. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yep it's bad, REALLY bad.

I haven't heard that phrase in about 60 years. 

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Oh yeah I have heard it. Does anyone else remember this scene?

Don Imus said it in reference to this movie in his stuff about the Rutgers women's basketball team that got him fired. It's been out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

It’s not even used in the “proper” context because he’s talking about doubters of Hurts who would most likely be white. Who knows what he was actually trying to say as his clarification also makes zero sense. I have a hard time caring, we’ll see what cancel culture has to say about it though.

Correct, the context doesn't make sense. He said it slipped. Words don't slip unless you use them often. So he for sure uses this word often enough for 'bug a boo' to slip to what he said. 

I created this thread just to laugh at RG3 that he would say this. Not saying he should be cancelled or whatever as I don;t give two shits if he is or isn't. I honestly am surprised so many haven't heard that word. Granted, it's an old school term and you don't hear people currently say it but I have always known it to be right on par with the hard N word. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I'm in the camp that RGIII was a clown even before this, so I hope this sends him off.

He's terrible. I remember tuning into a game and thinking "man this guy sucks." Didn't know it was him until halftime. Trying to be some cool mix of Joe Buck and Gus Johnson but just being terrible. I don't think he gets fired for this though, cry all you want, but it's different when black people say certain things, for very legitimate historical reasons that aren't worth hashing out here.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've shown two of my coworkers who are both young white guys and they both think it's pretty fucking bad. 

But, like Vic, I'm not demanding he be cancelled or anything. Mostly I think it's funny because, I mean, you can't say shit like that on live TV. 

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He's terrible. I remember tuning into a game and thinking "man this guy sucks." Didn't know it was him until halftime. Trying to be some cool mix of Joe Buck and Gus Johnson but just being terrible. I don't think he gets fired for this though, cry all you want, but it's different when black people say certain things, for very legitimate historical reasons that aren't worth hashing out here.

I get that and like the other posters are saying, as a white guy, I'm not calling for him to be fired or cancelled, just would appreciate it if he were because like you I think he's terrible and he should be moved on from. It's actually pretty humorous the whole situation and curious to see what else he will say in his 2nd attempt at an apology once his PR people let him know the first one is getting roasted.

36 minutes ago, bullet said:

The j word was bad before the n word was bad.

This.

It's not a bad thing that so many of you haven't heard it, but that also doesn't make it meaningless.

As has been pointed out, the word makes no sense in the context of what RGIII was saying. That leads me to believe him when he says it was not what he meant to say.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

This.

It's not a bad thing that so many of you haven't heard it, but that also doesn't make it meaningless.

As has been pointed out, the word makes no sense in the context of what RGIII was saying. That leads me to believe him when he says it was not what he meant to say.

Horse crap. The word is in his vocabulary.  It's like trying to defend someone who drops the N bomb.  They might not meant to have said it, but it's in their vocabulary...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I'm kinda surprised you guys hate RGIII as a media personality.  During the ISU/Texas game he acted like he'd been a lifelong Horn just reveling in the greatness and prestige of your various traditions.  I get that what's guys doing his job do, but given the disdain between UT and BU it was jarring.

If I were a Baylor fan/alum (barf) I'd have been apoplectic.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

This.

J-word= person.

Bugaboo= a problem or fiasco.

He was talking about people, not a problem.  Maybe you're right, benefit of the doubt and all.  He's more guilty of being a dumbass than anything else.

He is being paid to use the right words.

Edited by slorch