Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Bicycles, like 3 of them. 

Who was the poster he played a round of night golf against with only a 7-iron or some shit? 

Got it.  Thought we were talking about another guy I knew from LFZ days who had multiple Harleys.  Somebody hinted once he might be dead as well.  Anyway, sorry to hear about Grendel.  

As to your second question.  You're thinking of Mitch Cumsteen.  Just getting in some night putting.  Putting at night.  With a 7-iron.  And the daughter of the Dean.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Oh, and while he wasn't a celebrity in the global sense of the word, he was around these parts.

Paul Krampath aka Grendel and Punt on 1st Down has gone to the great pitch and putt in the sky.

https://www.mykeeper.com/profile/PaulKamprath/

Holy shit.  He looks different than I would've expected.  Dude was fucking out there.   RIP

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Y’all bagged on him then and still now, but HF/shaggy/Surly is a better and funnier place with the odd birds. RIP Grendel, ye who knows more of Texas Capitol political workings than any of us. 

Truth. This place has like 20% of the amusing drama that the OG Shag had. 

• Like 2

Odd dudes like Grendel made these forums more interesting places.  He always seemed to mean well, and wasn't a malicious guy.  Which these days, is an important mark of character in my book.  He wouldn't have ever been one of my running buddies or anything, but like I said, he meant well enough and was interesting in his own super-odd way.  The world was probably better with him in it than with him gone.  Sad news.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's because one of us ended up on the Austin City Council and no longer has time for shenanigans around here.

But our shenanigans were cheeky and fun.  And her shenanigans are now tragic and cruel.  Which makes them not really shenanigans, at all.  

As we've said though, I'm actually quite impressed with the job she's done.  She has been a steady hand that reflects the value sets of Surlites, Camgirls, and Disaster Scientists alike.  

This man was a celebrity to some of us.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/callahans-general-store-owner-passes-away-at-age-93/

Callahan’s General Store, a south Austin institution, is mourning the passing of owner Murray Callahan, family members confirmed to KXAN. Murray’s daughter-in-law, Denise Callahan, said he passed away Saturday at 93 years old.

“He was a much loved Austin fixture at the family store and beyond,” she said in an email to KXAN.

In a Facebook tribute Saturday to Murray, Callahan’s staff recognized the legions of customers “happily greeted, eagerly helped, and sincerely thanked” by Murray. In an obituary shared with KXAN, Murray’s family reflected on his 40-plus-year dedication to serving customers within the agriculture community.

Callahan is survived by several of his siblings and children, 14 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren, two great-great-grandchildren along with numerous nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, the Callahan family requested donations instead be made to the MD Foundation or the Rockne Historical Association.

Murray-Callahan-3_1679940773.png?resize=

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Great picture of Murray.  I knew him and two of his sisters, Dolores Viktorin (RIP) and Leora Callahan Wilson McCarthy.  I remember his mother, Lucy's, funeral.  Cars were parked all along Hwy 71 access as there wasn't enough room in the parking lot.  A good family.

Edited by abuelo gringo