World Cup Final - Argentina vs France

Captain Ron

I wonder why the president of Argentina isn't there?

Argentine President Alberto Fernandez said he will be watching Sunday's World Cup final match between his national team and France from home, and not in person from Qatar. Fernandez is a passionate fan of Argentinos Juniors, the team from which football superstar Diego Maradona emerged. Fernandez's French counterpart Emmanuel Macron, however, will attend the final in person, officials announced.

"Like millions of my compatriots, I will enjoy the final of the World Cup at home," he said Sunday on Twitter.

"I will live this fantastic moment as I have up to now, together with my people," he said. "Our best will be on the field, and our glorious fans in the stands."

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

happyness for argentina is tempered with the realization from this tournament that i will never live to see my own nation experience this joy

When my teenage son asked if we would ever see the USA wins the World Cup in our lifetime.

I said:  maybe your lifetime, but not mine.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

did giroud win prettiest man of the world cup?

I mean....he should have.  Shit, I might be willing to hook up with him, just for the bragging rights.  He's a pretty, pretty man.

22 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

FkR-h7LXEAARwIL?format=jpg&name=large

And....now we know that Martinez is surely a Surly poster.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Refs did a great job with that game. 

I think it was probably the best ref'd game in a final I've ever seen. Almost no flops called, and catching France guy trying to get a penalty in the box on that play where the defender plants his feet and stays straight was insanely good. Maybe it's the muscles. 

happyness for argentina is tempered with the realization from this tournament that i will never live to see my own nation experience this joy
Yeah but they've been my team since the 80s, my kids favorite team and player plus our close friends from Rosario finally getting this joy and embracing Messi finally this WC after being guarded and skeptical as a die hard Central fan. Close enough. I never expect Usmnt to go the distance but I've been rooting for this for a long time. Happy fucking day in my house. Great fucking game
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Mbappe played his ass off

Mbappe is the best player in the world whether he plays defense or not. 

He has 12 World Cup goals and he’s only 23. He will end with more than 20. He has the skill of Messi and is probably a little faster than a young CR7.

He’s insane. I’m just glad that he has to wait for his second star (France’s 3rd).

PS- The bikinis are out in full force around the pool, but I’m not going to be the creepy older man who is just snapping photos without any celebratory reason. 

More content later. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, ztejas said:

I think Haaland is better but his team isn't any good unfortunately. 

Just like Messi & CR7 for the last decade+, it is really a matter of opinion. There is never going to be a way to truly prove that one person is the best. 

My opinion of Mbappe is based on his World Cup. And Haaland didn’t get to participate. Before the World Cup, I thought that Haaland was the best due to his ridiculous goal rate in the EPL. 

It is all subjective and I am a slave to the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Just like Messi & CR7 for the last decade+, it is really a matter of opinion. There is never going to be a way to truly prove that one person is the best. 

My opinion of Mbappe is based on his World Cup. And Haaland didn’t get to participate. Before the World Cup, I thought that Haaland was the best due to his ridiculous goal rate in the EPL. 

3 more slots for UEFA in 26. Hopefully Norway qualify next time.

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

I agree. It's very much 1A and 1B. Mbappe has a better overall game but Haaland is such an insane finisher. I think Haaland turns xg into goals at a significantly higher rate than anyone in the world. Likewise, though, Mbappe probably creates more xg than anyone else. 

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
25 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I never expect Usmnt to go the distance but I've been rooting for this for a long time. Happy fucking day in my house. Great fucking game

I gave 15 years of my life and $135k of my treasure supporting the Nats and MLS.   I knew in time the international soccer economy would break the single entity monopoly on the talent, which happened.  I *believed* that the insider/nepotism/amateur Cabal that ran SUM (and thus controlled both the fed and mls) would eventually break under the weight of the money in the mls franchise fee ponzi scheme.  Both of these happened years ahead of schedule.

And so we run out a Champions League side and not only can't score, we can't score at will.   The money is decades away to cause a LeBron, Shaq, or Vince to take the Mbappe path.

We had a european coach that could adapt his x's and o's but he spoke truth to power, and we can't have that.

We play in a joke confederation with useless games by the dozen that do nothing to sharpen us for the big stage.

The first point can only be overcome with promotion and relegation which is decades away.

The second is up to the US corps that put up the cash.  Do they want the US to make a 26 run, or not?   If they don't, hire Jesse Marsch and call it a day.  If they do, go get the Special One.

The third point will only be solved by playing in Copa Americas and the Euros.  If they won't let us in, go play in the Asian and African tournaments.  Owning aggy is no longer of any value to the progression of the program.

To be a Morocco we are going to have to hire from outside the US and play in Full International Continental Tournaments outside our own, and until either happens we're better than aggy and that's it.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I agree. It's very much 1A and 1B. Mbappe has a better overall game but Haaland is such an insane finisher. I think Haaland turns xg into goals at a significantly higher rate than anyone in the world. Likewise, though, Mbappe probably creates more xg than anyone else. 

Mbappe is better right now. Haaland is great, but Mbappe literally just carried a country to the world cup final. Haaland will have his chance to respond but 2022 goes to Mbappe.  

• Hook 'Em 2