World Cup Final - Argentina vs France

Captain Ron

12 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Mbappe is better right now. Haaland is great, but Mbappe literally just carried a country to the world cup final. Haaland will have his chance to respond but 2022 goes to Mbappe.  

So your data point is a tournament that Haaland didn't play in? 

I'm not ranking what they achieved over the past year. Just who the better player is. 

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Mio también!

La Cara de Mostaza!

A88A9055-DF8C-4C7B-9C9D-27E698F5F0C8.thumb.jpeg.c38a332318a084b7177617360d65c429.jpeg

You can put him up with Diego as a hamburger champion.

6B271CFD-B679-4CBE-AD82-C92BBCA7AC19.thumb.jpeg.6fb8fc41467dd33738ddfc2842a45092.jpeg

Are you familiar with Big Six?  I went for burgers y sandwiches de lomo while working in Bahia Blanca.  I'm not sure if it was a national chain or just local.

https://www.instagram.com/bigsix_ok/?hl=en

Definitely jumps into the top 3 of best sporting event (hype) AND game (quality) of my life

1) 06 Rose Bowl
2) Lakers Celtics Game 7
3) 22 World Cup final.

France was putrid most of the game and their scores mostly came from PK’s. It was a dull game up until 2-1.

Great game. Yes. Top 3? M’eh

1 hour ago, linux said:

Definitely jumps into the top 3 of best sporting event (hype) AND game (quality) of my life

1) 06 Rose Bowl

2) Lakers Celtics Game 7

3) 22 World Cup final.

Pretty cool list! Man that 2nd one in your list was quite the night for me as a Lakers fan. Friend and I went to LA for two weeks for the parade and then just a great time afterwards hanging out there.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

France was putrid most of the game and their scores mostly came from PK’s. It was a dull game up until 2-1.

Great game. Yes. Top 3? M’eh

Because Argentina was playing out of their minds, the last part of the game was close mostly because they were running out of gas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I gave 15 years of my life and $135k of my treasure supporting the Nats and MLS.   I knew in time the international soccer economy would break the single entity monopoly on the talent, which happened.  I *believed* that the insider/nepotism/amateur Cabal that ran SUM (and thus controlled both the fed and mls) would eventually break under the weight of the money in the mls franchise fee ponzi scheme.  Both of these happened years ahead of schedule.
And so we run out a Champions League side and not only can't score, we can't score at will.   The money is decades away to cause a LeBron, Shaq, or Vince to take the Mbappe path.
We had a european coach that could adapt his x's and o's but he spoke truth to power, and we can't have that.
We play in a joke confederation with useless games by the dozen that do nothing to sharpen us for the big stage.
The first point can only be overcome with promotion and relegation which is decades away.
The second is up to the US corps that put up the cash.  Do they want the US to make a 26 run, or not?   If they don't, hire Jesse Marsch and call it a day.  If they do, go get the Special One.
The third point will only be solved by playing in Copa Americas and the Euros.  If they won't let us in, go play in the Asian and African tournaments.  Owning aggy is no longer of any value to the progression of the program.
To be a Morocco we are going to have to hire from outside the US and play in Full International Continental Tournaments outside our own, and until either happens we're better than aggy and that's it.
Very fucking accurate and well said . We have so many gifted athletes here, yet my kid's high school team has less resources than I did in the fucking 90s. -no film study, no legit trainers, no weight training program.
I completely understand that higher level disfunction and competition is a larger issue but development at all level is behind where it should be. And it pisses me off. We should be smoking a lot of tiny countries with our population size and number of youth players . We should not lose to fucking Costa Rica which is the size of West Virginia. We should have every advantage. I shouldn't be trying to watch film and help my kid with team spacing and passing, I'm not smart enough to coach high school level film study.

31 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Very fucking accurate and well said . We have so many gifted athletes here, yet my kid's high school team has less resources than I did in the fucking 90s. -no film study, no legit trainers, no weight training program.
I completely understand that higher level disfunction and competition is a larger issue but development at all level is behind where it should be. And it pisses me off. We should be smoking a lot of tiny countries with our population size and number of youth players . We should not lose to fucking Costa Rica which is the size of West Virginia. We should have every advantage. I shouldn't be trying to watch film and help my kid with team spacing and passing, I'm not smart enough to coach high school level film study.

Yeah you are. Most high school coaches are total ass my dude. Also high school isn't where the future of the sport will be developed. It is in the club academies. While, yes, there should be better support at high schools. That is generally a public funding issue and not a USMNT development issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

I shouldn't be trying to watch film and help my kid with team spacing and passing, I'm not smart enough to coach high school level film study.

I'm not sure what the fuck this has to do with the NT but okay. 

Give them 4 years. They were young and had some holes on the roster. We have twice as much talent in the pool than we ever did before. It just has to all come together. 

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Barley House

robert redford yes GIF

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I think its very silly for people who play under a flag to which theyre very tenuously connected though. 

Like Giuseppe Rossi. That motherfucker was born in New Jersey, raised in the US, played for an American team competitively, but chose to represent Italy in international competition. 

Thats kinda whack. 

I've been enjoying this thread going back after not getting to watch the game while posting here. 

But I had to stop on this comment and say this has to be the dumbest example to use to argue against dual nationals.

And also wrong.

He was born in NJ, that's about all you have right. But he was a first generation Italian-American. His parents and grandparents moved here (together) before he was born.

He never played for any US teams. His father and him went to Italy every summer from when he was 9-12 for him to go to Italian camps. Age 12 he was accepted into Parma's youth academy. And he was playing with them until he was 17 (then he went to ManU). He attended one US camp for a week when he was 14, but that was the extent of him ever being tagged as a US player. He was Italy's program from U17 on.

I would also guess (but have nothing to back it up) that Rossi had a lot of family he could have visited in Italy too.

Calling him tenuously connected is seriously a stretch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Man…that’s fucking awesome. Showed it to my wife, and she commented “we’ve been there for SOMETHING like that.” She’s right. We were down there in 96, I think, when Boca Juniors won the Argentine league. That’s the, umm, working man’s team. Always a rough and tumble crowd, but not as bad back then as it is now. Anyway, we thought “when else would we get to participate in something like this?”, so we walked down to the obelisk to join in. Thousands of folks, celebrating and singing. Plenty asked us if we were fans, the answer was always “we are tonight!” We learned the songs and sang along, drank a lot of wine squirted into our mouths from botas. Just fantastic. I love Argentina.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Mbappe is better right now. Haaland is great, but Mbappe literally just carried a country to the world cup final. Haaland will have his chance to respond but 2022 goes to Mbappe.  

He was actually very average vs England and a little better vs Morocco. He didn’t carry them to the final, he carried them in the final. Thought both Griezmann and Giroud were much better both of those games to make the final. Doesn’t matter much because what he did today was special.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Man…that’s fucking awesome. Showed it to my wife, and she commented “we’ve been there for SOMETHING like that.” She’s right. We were down there in 96, I think, when Boca Juniors won the Argentine league. That’s the, umm, working man’s team. Always a rough and tumble crowd, but not as bad back then as it is now. Anyway, we thought “when else would we get to participate in something like this?”, so we walked down to the obelisk to join in. Thousands of folks, celebrating and singing. Plenty asked us if we were fans, the answer was always “we are tonight!” We learned the songs and sang along, drank a lot of wine squirted into our mouths from botas. Just fantastic. I love Argentina.

I love it too. We went down for a bird hunt in Cordoba five years ago and it was one of the coolest trips I’ve ever taken. Loved our Argentine hosts and I bet they’re having a hell of a party tonight.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here, but I think it's really dumb that a guy gets fouled in the box, is awarded a PK, and the team gets to pick who takes the shot.  Why wouldn't the guy being fouled be the one to take the shot? Unless he's injured and is subbed out, they should give the PK to the person that was fouled.  It seems shitty to steal that shot from a player and continually award it to one guy to get all the goals. I wonder if refs would be more liberal with awarding the PK if they weren't always going to be shot by a guy with a 60-75% chance of converting it. 

11 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here, but I think it's really dumb that a guy gets fouled in the box, is awarded a PK, and the team gets to pick who takes the shot.  Why wouldn't the guy being fouled be the one to take the shot? Unless he's injured and is subbed out, they should give the PK to the person that was fouled.  It seems shitty to steal that shot from a player and continually award it to one guy to get all the goals. I wonder if refs would be more liberal with awarding the PK if they weren't always going to be shot by a guy with a 60-75% chance of converting it. 

I don't try and make sense of the game I just enjoy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Cause then they’d really fucking hurt players. Take the red, stop a goal, but make sure the player fouled doesn’t get back up. Can’t kick a pk with a fubar-ed ankle

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

He was born in NJ, that's about all you have right. But he was a first generation Italian-American. His parents and grandparents moved here (together) before he was born.

He never played for any US teams. His father and him went to Italy every summer from when he was 9-12 for him to go to Italian camps. Age 12 he was accepted into Parma's youth academy. And he was playing with them until he was 17 (then he went to ManU). He attended one US camp for a week when he was 14, but that was the extent of him ever being tagged as a US player. He was Italy's program from U17 on.

I would also guess (but have nothing to back it up) that Rossi had a lot of family he could have visited in Italy too.

Calling him tenuously connected is seriously a stretch.

Wrong.  Before he was with Parma, he played multiple years for Clifton of….New Jersey

He wasn’t just born in the US as a matter of transience - like a year temporary assignment - his parents took full employment there. He childhood was spent in the US. And post-soccer looks like he took employment and residence….in the US.

My brother in Christ, his social media profile literally claims hometown in NJ

B4372E33-CB9E-4A00-8BB7-F2C4E4C318AC.jpeg.b8fcd11574665e91411e16da72289e3a.jpeg

You understand nobody is denying his dual-citizenship? The argument is his national sporting affiliation - for which there can only be one - should be to linked his bona fide domicile.

I’m an immigrant myself, and my child is multi-passport holder. One of those passports represents a place he’s never lived in, been educated in, or likely will ever pay taxes to. Although he has the legal right to, its not genuine that that would project to the world *that* place as his *primary* identity.

9 hours ago, shnsajax said:

He was actually very average vs England and a little better vs Morocco. He didn’t carry them to the final, he carried them in the final. Thought both Griezmann and Giroud were much better both of those games to make the final. Doesn’t matter much because what he did today was special.

World Cup 2022: Kyle Walker won't 'roll out the red carpet' for Kylian  Mbappe in England v France quarter-final | UK News | Sky News

• Like 1

24 hours later, I tend to agree that the game was not some sort of all-timer in terms of quality because France did not do its part. They really shit the bed for 2/3rds of the game.  Part of that is that Argentina is really fucking good and played defensively with their hair on fire for a really loooong time, closing down everything and pressing non-stop for most of that first 2/3rds.  But anyone that has watched France enough knows that they were noticeably out of sorts and beyond sluggish and slow to practically everything.  I have no idea if the whole virus going around the team thing was real or just a built in excuse not but man it sure looked like it watching them.

However, it was probably the most exciting and intense final I have ever seen from about the 75th minute to the finish...and it did have some moments of pure brilliance.  The second Argentina goal was stunningly beautiful and why Messi's name will last a few generations. It's why we watch.  Nothing but one touches across 70 yards of field covered and di Maria not choking in the big moment.  Gorgeous.  The second Mbappe goal was obviously a banger as well...

Agree with the sentiment that the play of the game was Martinez starfishing his body on Kolo Mauni's shot at the end and catching it off his ankle.  That should have been a goal 8/10.  Incidentally, Martinez has really putting in the effort on being the villainous trash South American guy since Suarez bowed out.  "A moment of silence for Mbappe who is dead" when he's the best player in the world who just got a hat trick (and put the ball in the net 4 times against you) and you are a goalie for Aston fucking Villa after spending most of your career riding pine is...bold.  But it is what the sport needs honestly to keep the chucklekfucks that get off on that engaged so party on.

I remain of the opinion that the first penalty was not only soft, but a result of di Maria beginning a fall on his own accord and catching Dembele with his trailing leg and absolute horseshit...and anyone ever giving di Maria the benefit of the doubt is a fool.  There were a few others such as the ref stopping play on a 3-1 counterattack for France and the penalty on Thuram.  But they are ultimately inconsequential opinions and France really did not deserve to win given its putrid play for the majority of the game.  Plus...Argentine titties.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

For nap and ldogg

NSFW? MAYBE.. shhyt my bad

Spoiler

same chicks from above. but actual video.

they seem fun. Go Argentina Go 

edit:: yea, you prolly shouldn't open that or scroll through the post at work.. 

i just did, haha. im dum dum

Edited by kingkoopa6
edit