Rando Bowl Appreciation Thread..lawn equipment, chips, tires (doing tire things), mufflers, fast food places galore

ButtFumble

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

@PittsburghTiger, so what can we expect from the Panthers?  Is Slovis playing?  I think he’s in the portal, yes?  What,kind of D are we looking at?

Sun Bowl | El Paso, TX

• Friday, December 30 | 1:00 PM
  • UCLA (-6) vs. Pittsburgh | Total: 58
  • ATL: UCLA -2.9 | ATT: 70

Pittsburgh

• QB Kedon Slovis (Transfer portal)
  • DT Calijah Kancey (Opt-out)

One of Pitt’s backup QBs Nick Patti and Nate Yarnell – who attempted 32 passes combined this season – will step in for Slovis. Pitt signed QB Phil Jurkovec in the portal to replace Slovis next season. DT Kancey, an All-American, had been injured and decided to shut it out.

UCLA

• None reported

Coaching News

UCLA DC Bill McGovern has missed five straight games with a health issue.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2022/12/college-football-bowl-game-player-opt-out-tracker-head-coaching-changes-2022/

So far that is what has been reported. Officially just Kancey and Slovis. I have not heard if Izzy is playing. Some have speculated that Hill & Dennis are going to opt out. Defensively we have finally gotten healthy, especially up front. We have put up some really good numbers as far as tackles for loss and sacks the past few seasons. Numbers that stand with UGa, Bama & Clemson.

I'm not certain who will be at QB. I'd guess Nick Patti over Yarnell. Yarnell started the CMU game this year and did ok. The offensive line was really banged up all season. There were games where three of five starters were out. But, that happens to a lot of teams. Not just Pitt. It should be a fun, albeit meaningless, game. We didn't really see much of what Slovis could do. He got a nasty concussion against Tennessee and it took well over a month before he was feeling good. 

I didn't realize that you guys had Bill McGovern. I knew him a bit when he was secondary coach at Pitt under Walt Harris. I didn't really care too much for the way he treated some of the kids. 

this game has it going already...blocked punt

fumble/greased pig chase for a 3rd and 26

goes for it on 4th and throws a pass to the turf monster

clearly two teams that were left high and dry by their coaches and decided to just make a bowl game fun and go through some motion practices

I should have known a bowl game played at 10am central, named after a spice plant, played in a baseball stajium, in a city that does not give a fuck about football, would be a disappointment

perhaps some hot coco and some of Sally's Warm Honey Buns will wake them up at halftime and this game will turn into something decent

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Sun Bowl | El Paso, TX

• Friday, December 30 | 1:00 PM
  • UCLA (-6) vs. Pittsburgh | Total: 58
  • ATL: UCLA -2.9 | ATT: 70

Pittsburgh

• QB Kedon Slovis (Transfer portal)
  • DT Calijah Kancey (Opt-out)

One of Pitt’s backup QBs Nick Patti and Nate Yarnell – who attempted 32 passes combined this season – will step in for Slovis. Pitt signed QB Phil Jurkovec in the portal to replace Slovis next season. DT Kancey, an All-American, had been injured and decided to shut it out.

UCLA

• None reported

Coaching News

UCLA DC Bill McGovern has missed five straight games with a health issue.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2022/12/college-football-bowl-game-player-opt-out-tracker-head-coaching-changes-2022/

So far that is what has been reported. Officially just Kancey and Slovis. I have not heard if Izzy is playing. Some have speculated that Hill & Dennis are going to opt out. Defensively we have finally gotten healthy, especially up front. We have put up some really good numbers as far as tackles for loss and sacks the past few seasons. Numbers that stand with UGa, Bama & Clemson.

I'm not certain who will be at QB. I'd guess Nick Patti over Yarnell. Yarnell started the CMU game this year and did ok. The offensive line was really banged up all season. There were games where three of five starters were out. But, that happens to a lot of teams. Not just Pitt. It should be a fun, albeit meaningless, game. We didn't really see much of what Slovis could do. He got a nasty concussion against Tennessee and it took well over a month before he was feeling good. 

I didn't realize that you guys had Bill McGovern. I knew him a bit when he was secondary coach at Pitt under Walt Harris. I didn't really care too much for the way he treated some of the kids. 

No word on DTR and Charbonnet.  The feeling is both will play.  I’d be surprised if Charbs played, but DTR just loves UCLA so I can see that.  Laiatu Latu on D may opt out, which would hurt, but hope he plays.  If most of our O plays, I think we win maybe handily.  But who knows in bowl games.

Sounds like McGovern is done for good.  Not sure the health issue, but sounds serious.

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

I should have known a bowl game played at 10am central, named after a spice plant, played in a baseball stajium, in a city that does not give a fuck about football, would be a disappointment

perhaps some hot coco and some of Sally's Warm Honey Buns will wake them up at halftime and this game will turn into something decent

It’s the Fenway Bowl, not the Fennel Bowl. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Is there a nominally worse bowl In history than the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl presented by Stifel

Considering it’s I think one year old, not sure you can qualify it just yet.  Went last year just to see SoFi, and the stadium didn’t disappoint.  So that part of the experience is way better than most.  Of course I was in a suite, so it was sweet.