margot robbie is "barbie" - july 2023

henrygandorf

2 hours ago, Stringer said:

I’m so confused by what’s going on. It looks ridiculous but the filmmakers and actors are all top notch. I have to believe it has to be pretty good.

This is where I am trying to be.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, henrygandorf said:

fascinating to me that anyone can look at the career choices and accomplishments of noah baumbach, greta gerwig, margot robbie, and ryan gosling and dismiss this as some stupid action figure movie.

I am firmly in this camp...

10 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

...yet I struggle to see anything interesting in this trailer.

This will be a prime example of wait for the reviews/voices I trust.  I want to be optimistic, but it is getting increasingly difficult.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I guess this is going to be a fish out of water story.  It looks like on the road trip they are headed to the "real world" based on the street sign so I'd guess that Barbie world in the trailer is probably just bookends to the actual movie.

my guess too.  i bet we don't have any info on the 1 hour+ of barbie in the real world, and we were just treated to the opening scene plus a few others.

barbie world is painful to even look at.  like literally disturbing to my eyes.  hopefully normal world is a little easier.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, PRONG HORN said:

This has "ugly girls are ok too" written all over it.  

This was definitely part of the vibe for the idea when I was at Mattel in 2016-17. I never saw the script that they were working with back then, but Anne Hathaway & Amy Schumer were two of theactresses that they were talking with back then.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:28 PM, Stella Link said:

Wonder if "Barbie's boyfriend" Ken will make an appearance, and Ken's "buddy" Allan.....that could take the plot into a whole different direction....

“Barbie” is named after Mattel co-founders Ruth & Elliot Zhadker’s daughter “Barbara”. “Ken” is named after their son.

So Barbie & Ken are siblings who date.

15 hours ago, Stringer said:

I’m so confused by what’s going on. It looks ridiculous but the filmmakers and actors are all top notch. I have to believe it has to be pretty good.

It looks like plenty of people wanted in on this.

IMG_0270.thumb.png.37130786477a54375918ee5671399012.png

I’ve got a feeling that it’s going to be pretty funny. Lots of jokes for the over 18 crowd. 

Mattel has watched Hasbro (“Transformers”) and Lego making a killing on the big screen with content that serves as more than just a reminder to buy toys. They have become studios with rights to world famous brands that bring in tens of millions of dollars in profits on top of advertising their consumer goods.

I have no clue how long Mattel has wanted to make a Barbie movie for the big screen, but they really started to get serious in about 2015 when hiring people who would hold meetings with established film studios and top level talent. All these years later, they are finally making it happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This was definitely part of the vibe for the idea when I was at Mattel in 2016-17. I never saw the script that they were working with back then, but Anne Hathaway & Amy Schumer were two of theactresses that they were talking with back then.

Which one was being cast as the ugly one?

/s

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:00 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

On 12/18/2022 at 8:05 AM, Stella Link said:

Best TV ad of all time....

Would've been a lot better if Nissan actually made the car in the ad at the time it aired

• Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 10:15 PM, someguy said:

This is where I am trying to be.

I am firmly in this camp...

...yet I struggle to see anything interesting in this trailer.

This will be a prime example of wait for the reviews/voices I trust.  I want to be optimistic, but it is getting increasingly difficult.

this all reminds me of american hustle, one of the last movies i ever watched in a theater. every time i see a movie with a cast like this it's vapid crap. i don't know how or why these actors agree to do these movies, or what's more, why people end up hyping so many of them up (again, see: american hustle) when the movie is just boring, bland garbage that never moves my needle.